[Nfbn-announce] National Federation of the Blind Celebrates Read Across America

Amy Buresh amy.buresh74 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 00:19:32 UTC 2012

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT:

Chris Danielsen

Director of Public Relations

National Federation of the Blind

(410) 659-9314, extension 2330

(410) 262-1281 (Cell)

 <mailto:cdanielsen at nfb.org> cdanielsen at nfb.org

National Federation of the Blind Celebrates Read Across America

Encourages Blind Youth to Join in Celebration by Reading Braille Books

Baltimore, Maryland (February 27, 2012): The National Federation of the
Blind <http://www.nfb.org/>  (NFB), the nation's leading advocate for
Braille literacy, will celebrate Read Across America Day
<http://www.readacrossamerica.org/>  on March 2, by encouraging blind youth
to join in the nationwide holiday of reading.  Read Across America, created
by the National Education Association in 1998, is an annual reading
motivation and awareness program that calls for youth to celebrate the joy
of reading on March 2-also the birthday of renowned children's author Dr.
Seuss-by reading Dr. Seuss books.

The NFB encourages blind youth to celebrate Read Across America Day by
reading their favorite Dr. Seuss books in Braille, sharing their thoughts
about the books on Facebook and Twitter, and sending to us videos of
themselves reading Braille.  We will choose our favorite videos and post
them on the  <http://www.facebook.com/NationalFederationoftheBlind> NFB
Facebook page and  <http://www.youtube.com/nationsblind> YouTube account!

Dr. Marc Maurer, President of the National Federation of the Blind, said:
"Read Across America is a wonderful program that promotes literacy and the
joy of reading.  Braille literacy is just as critical to the success of
blind children as print literacy is to sighted children.  Our celebration of
Read Across America Day seeks to include blind youth and those with low
vision in this great program and to encourage them to read Braille on March
2.  We hope this activity will instill in blind children a love of reading
Braille that will last their whole lives."

To learn more about the National Federation of the Blind's celebration of
Read Across America, including how to access Braille versions of Dr. Seuss
books for yourself or your blind child, please visit
<http://nfb.org/read-across-america> http://nfb.org/read-across-america.

###

With more than 50,000 members, the National Federation of the Blind is the
largest and most influential membership organization of blind people in the
United States. The NFB improves blind people's lives through advocacy,
education, research, technology, and programs encouraging independence and
self-confidence. It is the leading force in the blindness field today and
the voice of the nation's blind. In January 2004 the NFB opened the National
Federation of the Blind Jernigan Institute, the first research and training
center in the United States for the blind led by the blind.