[Nfbn-announce] Florida State University Resolves Litigation with Students

Amy Buresh amy.buresh74 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 17:17:13 UTC 2012

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT:

Chris Danielsen

Director of Public Relations

National Federation of the Blind

(410) 659-9314, extension 2330

(410) 262-1281 (Cell)

 <mailto:cdanielsen at nfb.org> cdanielsen at nfb.org

Jeffery Seay

University Communications

Florida State University

(850) 644-0277

jseay at admin.fsu.edu

Florida State University Resolves Litigation with Students

National Federation of the Blind Praises Comprehensive Settlement Agreement

Tallahassee, Florida (March 6, 2012): Florida State University and two
students who are blind-Christopher Shane Toth and Jamie Ann Principato-have
resolved a lawsuit brought by
<http://stage.nfb.org/NewsBot.asp?MODE=VIEW&ID=819>  the two students with
the assistance of the National <http://www.nfb.org/>  Federation of the
Blind last summer.

The students claimed that they experienced discrimination in violation of
state and federal disability laws, including failure to reasonably
accommodate their disability and lack of accessible technology.  As a
result, they claimed, they were unable to complete courses related to their
academic majors.

Without admitting liability or wrongdoing, the university has agreed to pay
each of the students $75,000 in settlement of their claims and to continue
its efforts to make courses accessible to all students.  Specifically, the
university will examine technology-based instructional materials currently
in use for accessibility compliance, and ensure accessibility in future
software and hardware procurements.

"We are extremely pleased with this settlement agreement, which will benefit
all current and future blind students at Florida State," said Dr. Marc
Maurer, president of the National Federation of the Blind.  "We commend the
university for showing leadership and commitment to treating students with
disabilities equally and hope that other institutions of higher learning
will follow the example set by Florida State."

"I am greatly relieved and pleased that this litigation has been resolved
and look forward to continuing my academic career at Florida State on an
equal basis with my sighted peers," Principato said.

"We are committed to the success of all of our students, including those
with disabilities," said Garnett S. Stokes, provost and executive vice
president for academic affairs at Florida State.  "We will continue our
efforts to make our institution a welcoming and rewarding environment for
students with disabilities."

The plaintiffs are represented in this matter by Daniel F. Goldstein, Sharon
Krevor-Weisbaum, and Brooke E. Lierman of the Baltimore firm Brown,
Goldstein, and Levy; and Matthew Dietz of the Miami firm Law Offices of
Matthew W. Dietz, P.L.

###

With more than 50,000 members, the National Federation of the Blind is the
largest and most influential membership organization of blind people in the
United States. The NFB improves blind people's lives through advocacy,
education, research, technology, and programs encouraging independence and
self-confidence. It is the leading force in the blindness field today and
the voice of the nation's blind. In January 2004 the NFB opened the National
Federation of the Blind Jernigan Institute, the first research and training
center in the United States for the blind led by the blind.