[NFBN-Announce] Fwd: National Octopus Day Event

NFB of Nebraska Info info at ne.nfb.org
Thu Oct 7 21:20:49 UTC 2021

Please help spread the word about this cool event featuring the American
Action Fund for Blind Children and Adults’  book designed to raise
awareness of both teaching and learning tactile exploration.

As you may or may not know, this Friday, October 8 is National Octopus Day!
We’re taking advantage of the holiday by having a friend of the American
Action Fund and the National Federation of the Blind, Dr. Geerat Vermeij,
Professor of Earth & Planetary Sciences at UC Davis get in on the fun.

Friday afternoon at 1:30 eastern, Dr. Vermeij will be joining us on
Facebook Live to read a few pages of Pedro and the Octopus. Please help us
spread the word, connect a friend (or eight), and join us for this fun and
interactive event on Facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/americanactionfundforblindchildrenandadults>!

In 2019, while we were promoting the book, I had the awesome opportunity to
meet a live octopus, who I named PedroLena, after the children in the
book’s family. She lived in the Shark Reef Aquarium in Las Vegas, site of
the National  Federation of the Blind convention. I will always cherish her
surfacing to embrace my arm and check me out with some of her suction cups.

In honor of Octopus Day, I also want to recommend the book The Soul of an
Octopus: a surprising exploration into the wonder of consciousness by Sy
Montgomery. It is available from our Talking Book and Braille Service and
on Braille and Audio Reading Download (BARD).

Happy Octopus Day to all!

Barbara

--
National Federation of the Blind of Nebraska
Phone: 402-477-7711
Email: info at ne.nfb.org
Web: http://www.ne.nfb.org
Facebook: https://facebook.com/nebraskasblind