[Nfbnet-members-list] FW: National Federation of the Blind Applauds Introduction of Legislation to Integrate Workers with Disabilities

Kuhnke, Kristian KKuhnke at nfb.org
Thu Aug 6 20:16:53 UTC 2015

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT:
Chris Danielsen
Director of Public Relations
National Federation of the Blind
(410) 659-9314, extension 2330
(410) 262-1281 (Cell)
<mailto:cdanielsen at nfb.org>cdanielsen at nfb.org

National Federation of the Blind Applauds Introduction of Legislation
to Integrate Workers with Disabilities

Urges Passage of Transitioning to Integrated and Meaningful Employment Act

Baltimore, Maryland (August 6, 2015): <https://nfb.org>The National
Federation of the Blind, the oldest and largest nationwide
organization of blind Americans, applauds the introduction of the
Transitioning to Integrated and Meaningful Employment (TIME) Act (S.
2001) by Senator Kelly Ayotte (R-NH). Senator Ayotte introduced this
legislation to repeal Section 14(c) of the Fair Labor Standards Act,
in order to incentivize the transitioning of workers with
disabilities into integrated, meaningful employment, and to phase out
the discriminatory practice of paying workers with disabilities
pennies per hour. Companion legislation has already been introduced
in the House of Representatives by Representative Gregg Harper (R-MS)
as H.R. 188 and has forty-one cosponsors.

"My home state of New Hampshire has been a leader in supporting and
empowering workers with disabilities, and recently became the first
state in the country to ban discriminatory wage practices that put
workers with disabilities at a disadvantage," Senator Ayotte said.
"This legislation will project New Hampshire's leadership on the
issue throughout the country, ensuring that workers with disabilities
are treated equally and do not have to work in an environment where
their wages and expectations are lower than those of workers without
disabilities. Twenty-five years after enactment of the Americans with
Disabilities Act, individuals with disabilities are now able to live
quality lives and achieve their full potential.  Women and men with
disabilities also deserve the opportunity to participate in the
workforce and seek competitive, integrated, and meaningful employment
on a level equal to their peers who do not have a disability.  I'm
grateful to the National Federation of the Blind for their advocacy
on this important issue and their support of my legislation."

Mark A. Riccobono,
<http://www.facebook.com/NationalFederationoftheBlind>President of
the National Federation of the Blind, said: "The National Federation
of the Blind and our partners representing the fifty-five million
Americans with disabilities know that low expectations, not
disability, are the true barriers that prevent people with
disabilities from living the lives we want. We applaud Senator Ayotte
for recognizing that current segregated employment practices are
based on over seventy years of entrenched but false thinking about
the capacity of people with disabilities. We strongly urge her
colleagues in both houses of the United States Congress to support
this legislation and embrace a future in which the next generation of
workers with disabilities, including my two young daughters, enter
the workforce without the discriminatory presumptions that exist
today and where these workers are able to achieve their full
potential in the workplace and beyond."

###

the expectations of blind people, because low expectations create
obstacles between blind people and our dreams. You can live the life
you want; blindness is not what holds you back.