[Nfbnet-members-list] The Next Generation of Blind and Low-vision Youth Need You!

Peret, Maurice MPeret at nfb.org
Tue Jul 31 20:48:34 UTC 2018

Subject: The Next Generation of Blind and Low-vision Youth Need You!

National Federation of the Blind Career Mentoring program

Blind and low-vision youth need exposure to positive blind role
models who demonstrate a genuine belief in them and in their natural
abilities. Here is a wonderful opportunity for you to give back to
the next generation and to help them achieve their full potential.

We are actively recruiting successful independent blind or low-vision adults.
Go to https://nfb.org/mentorapplication and sign up to become a mentor.

Through guidance and example, you can help raise expectations and
teach blind youth the practical strategies of how to access resources
and to acquire skills for success.

If you are willing to share your life experiences, to teach tips and
tools for living independently, to assist blind youth to become
better self-advocates, the National Federation of the Blind Career
Mentoring Program offers you a golden opportunity to give back.

Our NFB Career Mentoring program provides a framework of training and
support that will empower you to be a successful mentor to an
aspiring blind or low-vision youth. We will host several fun
educational activities that allow the mentor/mentee relationships to
grow. If you do not feel you have the time, remember that in many
instances, a phone call, an email, or a text may be a life changing
interaction.

In addition to having the opportunity to positively impact the life
of a young blind person, you will also be able to improve your own
skills, and to expand your personal/professional networks.

For more information, check out the article in the April issue of the
Braille Monitor, entitled "Changing Attitudes Regarding Education,
Employment, and Rehabilitation through the National Federation of the
Blind CAREER Mentoring program:"
https://nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/bm/bm18/bm1804/bm180414.htm

the expectations of blind people because low expectations create
obstacles between blind people and our dreams. You can live the life
you want, blindness is not what holds you back.

Maurice Peret
Coordinator of Career Mentoring Programs
200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230
(410) 659-9314, extension 2350| MPeret at nfb.org

<https://nfb.org/>
National Federation of the Blind

                          <http://www.facebook.com/nationalfederationoftheblind>
Facebook
     <https://twitter.com/NFB_Voice>
Twitter
     <https://www.youtube.com/NationsBlind>
Youtube

The National Federation of the Blind is a community of members and
friends who believe in the hopes and dreams of the nation's blind.
Every day we work together to help blind people live the lives they want.

---
https://www.avg.com