[Nfbnet-members-list] Don't forget to sign your teen up for the NOPBC youth track at convention this year

Amy Porterfield APorterfield at saavi.us
Tue Jun 18 18:40:46 UTC 2024

Hello everyone,

We are so excited about another fun-filled youth track at our national convention this year.  There's something for everyone.

To sign your child up they must be between ages 12-18.  We welcome all teens including sighted children and siblings.  To register please visit  https://nopbc.org/youth-track-registration

The agenda is pasted below.

Welcome to the 2024 NOPBC Youth Track Live the Life You Want

Rosen Centre - Orlando

We are so excited to discover the recipe for success together this year as we make new friends, reconnect with old friends, and gain all the confidence and resources we need to move forward together. We hope you will find that these sessions will not only prepare you to live the life you want, but that you will meet new friends, become more confident and independent and have a lot of fun. So, bring your cane, your positivity, and your open mind for a great Youth Track in Orlando!                                        Don't have a cane?                              That's okay

- we will have a cane bank there for you to use for Youth Track sessions.

Sessions are open to all blind and low vision students, children of blind adults, and sighted siblings aged 11-18 unless stated differently in the description.

Day 1: Wednesday, July 3rd

7:30 - 8:45 AM: Youth Track Registration:, outside NOPBC Seminar; for youth 11-18; free of charge.

8:45 - 10 AM: Introductions, Games & Prizes:

Come join your Federation Youth family for Ice Breakers and Introductions. Let the games begin! This first session we will see old friends and discover new ones. If this is your first time, or you are a little bit shy, no worries, everyone will have a perfect place in our introduction session.

10:00 AM - 12:00 PM: Introduction to Your National Federation of the Blind Convention and Youth Track Activities:

So much to do, so little time! This convention has so much to offer. Come learn about what will happen each day, and get your questions answered so you can make this convention your best. In this session you never know whom you may meet. You may even win a door prize!

12:00 - 1:30 PM: Lunch on your own

1:30 - 2:30 PM: How Am I Supposed to do THAT?

Ever had a problem in front of you that you could NOT figure out how to tackle? Fear not! This session is all about helping us solve all of life's little problems with fun and creativity!

2:45 - 4:30 PM: Unconventional Convention Scavenger Hunt!

There won't be anything conventional about this convention scavenger hunt!                                              You will be working in teams to scour the hotel for the next clue that will lead you to the final destination!

Day 2: Thursday, July 4th

8:45 - 10:30 AM: Cane Walk Session I:
or 11:00 AM - 12:45 PM: Cane Walk Session II:

Youth Track participants and their families are invited to take part in the NOPBC Cane Walks. Wondering if you should use a cane? Curious about Structured Discovery? Come to one of these special workshops. Youth must be accompanied by an adult. Parents, teachers, blind/VI children, and sighted siblings are welcome.

5:30 - 6:30 PM:      Career Fair:

Not sure what you want to be when you grow up?                                                     Come meet blind mentors working in all kinds of jobs.                                                  Already have your career planned out. Great!                                                     Come meet someone in your field who can give you some useful tips and tricks.

Day 3: Friday, July 5th

12:15 - 4:00 PM: Exhibit Hall Challenge

Join a team, gather information, tools, and win prizes as you explore the Exhibit Hall. Learn all the ways you can accomplish any task you choose in school and work.

When each team has completed their challenge, you will return to our youth track room, and submit your challenge card.  Prizes will be awarded in our last session.

Day 4: Saturday:  July 6th

6:45 - 8:30 PM:      We Put the T and M in STEM

Computers and Mathematics are part of everyday life in

today's world! Come learn how to use nonvisual tools and techniques to work on your computer and learn how Technology and Mathematics speak to each other with fun games. This may be a lesson, but we promise it won't feel like school!

8:30 - 10 PM: Resolutions Explained

What is a resolution, and how does the National Federation of the Blind use resolutions to make us stronger? We'll explore the resolutions recommended by the National Federation of the Blind resolutions committee.

Day 5:  Sunday, July 7th

7:00    - 8:30 PM: Philosophy-How to Take Control of Your Future  :

The surest path to confidence is to know our own minds. Come join us as we offer the opportunity for you to explore how to advocate for yourself and your future!

Amy Porterfield, She/Her

President,
Saavi Services for the blind
520-795-1331 EXT 321