[Nfbnet-students-list] Washington Seminar Student Financial Support Application Now Open!!

Sean Whalen nabs.president at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 02:56:20 UTC 2015

Hello fellow students,

As you may know, each year in January, we in the National Federation of the
Blind travel from all over the country to bring our message of hope and
opportunity for all blind Americans to Capitol Hill during the annual NFB
Washington Seminar. In 2016, we will be walking the halls of Congress from
January 25 to January 28. Washington Seminar is where we do the incredibly
meaningful work of translating the legislative priorities of blind Americans
into laws that make real change and improve lives. Students are always part
of this effort, and this year we are endeavoring to have a robust student
presence at Washington Seminar, particularly since accessibility of
technology in higher education, an issue of critical importance to blind
students, will be among our legislative Priorities this year. I know that a
trip to Washington can be expensive, especially for those of us who are
still in school. But I am writing with good news for those of you who are
primed to get up on the Hill and educate Congress about our issues, but
might need a bit of financial support to attend. Because of the hard work of
our NABS Fundraising Committee and a generous matching grant from our
national NFB treasury, we are pleased to launch this effort to assist
students in participating in Washington Seminar.

Please keep in mind that this effort is intended to provide funding to
students who would be otherwise unable to attend Washington Seminar due to
financial hardship. If you, your parents, your local chapter or state
affiliate, or anybody else is providing or could provide financial support
to enable you to make the trip, please take advantage of those other
opportunities. Of course, receiving financial support from another entity
does not necessarily make you ineligible for this funding. I just ask,
remember that resources are scarce and needs are great. Please only apply if
you truly *need* the help to attend Washington Seminar. Finally, be aware
that if you are granted financial support, you will be required to attend
meetings and functions in DC from 9am January 25 to 5pm January 27.

We are extremely excited to have an impressive student turnout at the 2016
Washington Seminar and are pleased and grateful that President Riccobono and
our national leadership place a high value on student participation in the
Washington Seminar. Washington Seminar is an empowering and meaningful
experience where students can not only learn a ton, but also help the
Federation build a brighter future for blind Americans. I urge each of you
to strongly consider taking part in the Washington Seminar, and encourage
anybody who requires financial support to do so to take advantage of this
funding opportunity.

Applications are due November 22. Please simply read the instructions and
requirements and fill out the form at the following link:

http://goo.gl/forms/m5rhwqFU8Z

If you apply, you will receive a decision on your application no later than
December 22, leaving ample time for transportation and hotel bookings!

Please contact me with any questions or concerns about this program. Thanks
for reading, and see you in Washington in January!

Take care,

Sean

Sean Whalen

President, National Association of Blind Students

(608) 332-4147

Nabs.president at gmail.com

@nabslink

www.nabslink.org