NFBNJ-Seniors] Crazy National Laws

nancy Lynn seabreeze.stl at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 13:21:35 UTC 2019

I got this from another list and thought you should know these laws just in case you were planning to break any of them. LOL.

Crazy National Laws from Countries Around the World

Laws enacted by government officials are supposed to keep citizens safe and countries in order. But what happens when some of these laws are totally crazy?

>From laws prohibiting the use of undergarments to laws about life after death, here’s a list of some crazy national laws from around the world.

Italy

In the city of Rome, goldfish are not allowed to live inside bowls. In order to keep pets healthy and happy, a law was created to ensure better treatments

dogs, cats and even pet goldfish. As a result, goldfish must reside within a full-sized aquarium, a luxurious upgrade from the traditional goldfish bowl.

Scotland

In Scotland, choosing to wear underwear can have consequences. According to The Scotsman, if you are wearing underwear beneath your kilt, then you can

be fined two cans of beer. It’s safe to say that this isn’t a strictly enforced rule, but Scots may want to stock up on beer, just in case.

Portugal

Portugal, a popular seaside destination, has a law against urinating in the ocean. Presumably, this law was made to protect the quality of the water at

crowded beaches, but we have to wonder how this law is enforced? If you find a short line at the beach bathroom in Portugal, there may be some lawbreakers

in your midst.

Singapore

Since 1992, gum chewing has been banned in Singapore. The country has also banned littering and jaywalking. Oh, and when you use a public toilet, you are

legally required to flush it. All of these laws are an effort to keep the country clean and welcoming for its residents and visitors, so we can’t complain

about them too much.

Poland

The beloved storybook character, Winnie the Pooh, was banned from a public playground in Poland due to the bear’s crude way of dressing.

This is because

Winnie the Pooh does not wear pants. Pooh’s outfit was deemed “inappropriate” by city council members, and children are no longer allowed to bring any

items bearing Winnie the Pooh’s likeness to the town playground.

Japan

In Japan, those extra pounds you gain around the holidays could get you into big trouble. This is because it’s illegal to be fat in Japan. In order to

enforce the law, Japanese higher-ups have a mandatory waistline maximum for anyone over the age of 40. According to Pri, men’s waistline measurements cannot

exceed 33.5 inches, while women’s waistlines cannot exceed 35.4 inches.

Greece

In 2009, Greece went as far as creating a law to ban certain types of footwear. High heels are not allowed to be worn at archeological sites around the

country. Apparently, the fashionable ladies’ footwear was causing major damage to the Odeon in Athens and lawmakers decided to take precautionary measure

to protect the country’s historical monuments.

China

The Chinese government has gone as far as enacting a law that extends into the afterlife. Buddhist monks are forbidden to reincarnate without prior approval

from the government. We’re not exactly sure how the Chinese government is planning to fully enforce this law, as we didn’t know government laws could affect

us in the hereafter.

Sri Lanka

Law enforcement authorities in Sri Lanka are extremely rigid when it comes to religion and any mistreatment of the Buddha’s image is strictly prohibited.

Tattoos of the Buddha are not allowed within the country, and people may not kiss or touch Buddha statues in public. The country has gone as far as detaining

and deporting visitors who do not follow these rules, so tattooed travelers should heed this warning.

Switzerland

Nudists may not want to travel to Switzerland anytime soon. The normally neutral country has a strict policy against naked hiking. Apparently, a naked

hiker walked past a picnic-ing family, and they were all scarred for life. In an effort to further prevent childhood trauma, Switzerland swiftly enacted

a law banning nudist hikers. We may all rest easy to know that Switzerland is a place where only clothed-hikers are welcome.