NFBNJ-Seniors] Upcoming Protest in NYC - Let Us Play Us Campaign

Cascone, Stephanie scascone at nfb.org
Fri Mar 29 13:04:21 UTC 2019

Please attend the upcoming National Federation of the Blind protest regarding the forthcoming CW TV show In the Dark next Tuesday, April 2, two days before the show's scheduled premier where the lead role is a blind woman currently played by a sighted actor. Read our press release<https://nfb.org/about-us/press-room/blind-americans-protest-refusal-entertainment-industry-cast-them> for more information on the show. The informational protest will take place from 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. Here are more details:

Event: National Federation of the Blind #LetUsPlayUs Protest
Date: Tuesday, April 2, 2019
Place: CBS Corporation, 52 West 53rd Street, New York, NY 10019
Please arrive at 10:45 a.m. - Water and snacks will be provided.

This is an ongoing effort in the Let Us Play Us campaign urging change in the entertainment industry by casting authentic representation in shows and films specifically in stories about us. A blind character needs to be played by a blind actor. We wrote to the show's producers and to CW/CBS executives requesting an urgent meeting and received a response from the show's executives stating that they are interested in meeting with the NFB after the first season has aired. We replied that meeting prior to the show airing is crucial, but so far, the executives have neither accepted nor declined a request to meet prior to April 2. We must not wait for change.

If you are able to attend, please email kwalls at nfb.org<mailto:kwalls at nfb.org>. Water and snacks will be provided. We look forward to your participation. Let's turn dreams into reality!

Learn More

Media Advisory - https://nfb.org/about-us/press-room/blind-americans-protest-discrimination-entertainment-april-2

Press Release - https://nfb.org/about-us/press-room/blind-americans-protest-refusal-entertainment-industry-cast-them

Stephanie Cascone
Director of Communications and Marketing
200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230
(410) 659-9314, extension 2244 | scascone at nfb.org

[National Federation of the Blind]<https://nfb.org/>

                         [Facebook] <http://www.facebook.com/nationalfederationoftheblind>     [Twitter] <https://twitter.com/NFB_Voice>     [Youtube] <https://www.youtube.com/NationsBlind>

The National Federation of the Blind is a community of members and friends who believe in the hopes and dreams of the nation's blind. Every day we work together to help blind people live the lives they want.

Disclaimer