[NFBNJ-SportsandRec] Sports & Recreation Division of NFBNJ minutes for January 2018 & agenda for February 2018

Brian Mackey bmackey88 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 11 16:53:17 UTC 2018

>From the desk of Linda Melendez, President, Sports & Recreation Division of
NFBNJ.

Received from Brian Mackey, Secretary.

Sports & Recreation Division of NFBNJ 2nd Conference Call Meeting

Minutes:  January 17, 2018

1. Roll Call: 35 members & participants in attendance

Linda Melendez, President

Annemarie Cooke, VP

Brian Mackey, Secretary

Geri McGinty, Treasurer

Misty Hagan, Board Member

Siham Atshin

Debbie Bloomer

Tracey Carcione - Participant

Ada Crandle

Fannie Davis

Linda DeBerardinis

Jane Degenshein

Dawn Ferrara

Barbara Finan

Jerry Fontenelli

Renee Freiling

Linda Halm

Pam Hayes

Ken Lawrence

Marian Lee

Gary Lemberg

Evelyn McLaurin

Mary Jo Partyka

Angela Perone

Andrew Rees

Sherry Rollins

Joe Ruffalo

Tony Santiago

Marie Sawyer

Karen Sheppard

Gail Stokes

Blake Tracey

Josh Valese

Roseanne Weinstein

Sara Weinstein

2. Call to Order:  President Linda Melendez called the meeting to order at
8:01 pm. We thank Brian Mackey for sending out the minutes 10 days and 2
days prior to the meeting via our email distribution list. We also thank
Misty Hagan, Chair of the Reminder Call committee, and the members of the
Reminder Calls Committee for making the reminder calls for the meeting.

3. Minutes: Brian Mackey

Minutes are sent to paid members through our Announcement  Email List. Misty
Hagan motioned to accept the December 2017 minutes as presented, seconded by
Andrew Rees, and approved unanimously.

4. Treasurer's Report: Geri McGinty Treasurer

Geri McGinty announced that the division now has a bank account, which has a
balance of $275. The affiliate will be sending the balance in the Sports &
Rec line item account which totals $262. Linda DeBerardinis motioned to
accept the treasury report as presented, seconded by Barbara Finan, and
unanimously approved.

5. Welcome: Linda Melendez

Linda Melendez informed all that the division has two purposes. The first is
to encourage and promote our members to become involved in sports,
recreational and spectator activities on a state, local, and individual
level. The second purpose is to promote and share this division with other
blind and vision impaired individuals so they can become members of the
National Federation of the Blind of New Jersey.

6. Membership:  Linda Melendez

We currently have 51 paid members! To join the division, individuals must be
a resident of New Jersey and pay yearly dues of $5.00. Only paid members
will have the right to make motions, vote, serve on committees and run for
office, and receive messages through the division's email distribution list.
If no dues are paid they are considered participants and do NOT have the
same rights as members. Checks and money orders must be made payable to
Sports & Recreation Division NFBNJ, and write 2018 dues in the memo field.

Send dues to:

Geri McGinty, Treasurer

89 Schindler Court

Somerset, NJ 08873

In addition to submitting your dues, please submit the following contact
information:

*        Name

*        Mailing Address including zip code

*        Home Phone

*        Cell Phone

*        Email Address

*        County

*        Surrounding counties (the counties that are near to the county you
reside in)

*        NFBNJ Chapter

*        NFBNJ Divisions

*        Preferred contact method

If you prefer, you can submit the requested contact information in an email
to Linda Melendez at lindamelendez220 at gmail.com
<mailto:lindamelendez220 at gmail.com>  and/or Brian Mackey at
bmackey88 at gmail.com <mailto:bmackey88 at gmail.com> .

7. Additional Comments:  NFBNJ President Joe Ruffalo

Joe Ruffalo stated that being a paid member of the division is great, but
being a paid active member is even better. When a member joins a chapter or
division, they automatically become a member of the National Federation of
the Blind of New Jersey and the National Federation of the Blind. The input
provided from the membership is valuable, but we might not always act upon
them depending on the topic. Whenever a new member joins, Linda Melendez
will complete the new membership form at https://nfb.org/new-member-form.

8. Online Sports and Recreation Division Calendar of Events:  Linda Melendez

The online calendar of events is the place to look for anything Sports and
Recreation related. To view the calendar, please visit
www.nfbnj.org/sports-and-recreation-calendar
<http://www.nfbnj.org/sports-and-recreation-calendar> . Please read the
January 2018 key notes for additional information.

9. Sports & Recreation Division Conference Call Dates:  Linda Melendez

The schedule for our meetings was discussed. We meet the 3rd Wednesday of
the month at 8 pm, December through October, unless noted otherwise.

Also, each month a different Committee conference call is scheduled for the
3rd Wednesday of the month at 7:30 pm; December through October.  Committees
that will be meeting the following month will be announced on our regular
division conference call. Please check the Sports and Recreation Division
Online Calendar of Events for anything Sports and Recreation related.

Please reference the January 2018 key notes for additional information.

10. Sports and Recreation Division Chapter Captains:  Linda Melendez

The goals and purposes of Chapter Captains were discussed. Linda Melendez
announced who the Chapter Captains are for all chapters, with the exception
to the Northeast Chapter and the South Jersey Shore Chapter. For additional
information, and the listing of Chapter Captains, please reference the
January 2018 key notes.

11. Sports and Recreation Division Coordinators:  Linda Melendez

The purpose and goals of the Division Coordinators were discussed. Linda
Melendez announced the Division Coordinators for all divisions, the At Large
Chapter, and the Spanish Committee. We are working on appointing a Division
Coordinator for POBC-NJ. For additional information, and to view the listing
of Division Coordinators, please reference the January 2018 key notes.

12. Submission process for Spotlight Speakers, Events or Topics:  Linda
Melendez

The submission process for potential spotlight speakers, topics, and events
were discussed. All submissions must be sent to Linda Melendez at
lindamelendez220 at gmail.com <mailto:lindamelendez220 at gmail.com> . For
additional information, please reference the January 2018 key notes.

13. Spotlight Topic - NJ Transit Half Fare Program, NJ Transit Access Link,
NYC MTA Half Fare Program, SEPTA, and PATCO:  Linda Melendez

Our spot light topic was on transportation, para-transit and half fare
programs in New Jersey, New York, and Pennsylvania. An email was sent after
the meeting to all members with the names of the programs, phone numbers,
and links for websites, applications and detailed information. If any of the
members need it to be re-sent to them, inform Linda Melendez at
lindamelendez220 at gmail.com <mailto:lindamelendez220 at gmail.com>  or Brian
Mackey at bmackey88 at gmail.com <mailto:bmackey88 at gmail.com> .

14. State Event - National 6 Dot Dash:   Linda Melendez

The NFB 6 Dot Dash was discussed. Details are being worked on for us to
attend and stay at the national center. We will provide updated information
once we receive from the Jernigan Institute. For additional information,
please reference the January 2018 key notes.

15. Local Events: Linda Melendez

Local events were discussed. Chapter Captains are encouraged to submit local
events to Linda Melendez at lindamelendez220 at gmail.com
<mailto:lindamelendez220 at gmail.com>  so that the information can be added to
our online Calendar of Events. Gail Stokes volunteered to researched
information on accessible or audio described events at theaters and museums.
Gail will provide the listing of shows requested to be posted on our online
calendar of events. Linda thanked Tracey Carcione for providing the
accessible events at the Museum of Natural History in New York. For
additional information, please reference the January 2018 key notes.

16. Individual Events:  Linda Melendez

Individual events are encouraged to be shared with our membership so we can
participate as a spectator.  Please submit these events to Linda Melendez at
lindammelenez220 at gmail.com <mailto:lindammelenez220 at gmail.com>  so they can
be added to our Sports and Recreation Division Online Calendar of events.
For additional information, please reference the January 2018 key notes.

17. Old Business:

a. 9th Annual After the Holiday Party:  NFBNJ President Joe Ruffalo

Joe Ruffalo stated that approximately 65 individuals participated in our 9th
annual After the Holidays Party on January 6th in Belleville. The food was
enjoyed by all who attended the party. We thanked Dawn Ferrara and Josh
Valese for providing the music. Mark the calendar for the 10th annual After
the Holiday Party on January 5, 2019!

b. PAC Plan:  Brian Mackey, PAC Plan Coordinator

Brian Mackey stated that since the division now has their bank account
established, Geri McGinty will be submitting the necessary paperwork soon to
the Jernigan Institute to have the Sports & Recreation Division included as
a participant of the Pre-Authorized Contribution (PAC) Plan. Even though the
division is contributing to the PAC Plan, individual members are encouraged
to individually contribute to the PAC Plan. The more individuals and groups
contribute to the PAC Plan, the more funds the national office have
available for various programs at the national level.

c. Vehicle Donation:  Andrew Rees, Vehicle Donation Coordinator

The Vehicle Donation program is a national program where people can donate
vehicles that are or are not still working. The program doesn't accept RVs,
motorcycles, and boats that are broken; they must be working. Cars and
automobiles must be in one piece. The NFB receives about $300 per donated
vehicle. The program doesn't accept airplanes. Flyers advertising the
program can be obtained at  <http://www.nfb.org/vehicle-donation-materials>
www.nfb.org/vehicle-donation-materials. You will receive a receipt to claim
your donation as a tax deductible contribution. The number to dial to donate
your vehicle to the program is 1-855-659-9314. Please direct questions to
Andrew Rees at  <mailto:amrees567 at gmail.com> amrees567 at gmail.com or
732-659-6002.

d. Green Drop:  Linda DeBerardinis, Green Drop Coordinator

GreenDrop is a program where you can donate gently used items such as
clothing and shoes, small furniture, household items, kitchenware, games and
toys, small appliances, electronics, sporting goods, books, CDs, and videos.
GreenDrop can come to your location to pick up your donations. The program
is available in about seven states along the East Coast. Donations must be
in a bag or box marked NFB. To view what items are or aren't accepted by
GreenDrop, please visit  <http://www.nfbpickup.org/> www.nfbpickup.org.
There are three drop off locations in New Jersey. They are located in Cherry
Hill, Springfield, and Metuchen. To schedule a pickup, dial 1-888-944-DROP
(1-888-944-3767).

18. New Business:

Discussion on the state website; NFBNJ chapters; NFBNJ divisions; and NFBNJ
committees, projects, and programs will be tabled until our March meeting.

19. Committee Reports:

The purpose of the Correspondent Committee is to assist the President by
creating, editing and maintaining division documentation. Annemarie Cooke is
chairing this committee. The committee has completed the welcome letter,
which was sent to all paid members. Currently the committee is working on
the About Us documentation, which should be completed by the end of the
month.

The purpose of the Reminder Calls Committee is to make reminder calls for
our members who wish to receive them regarding our upcoming regular or
special meetings on a monthly basis. The committee is chaired by Misty
Hagan. Misty is assisted by Debbie Bloomer , Ada Crandle, Jerry Fontenelli,
Linda Halm, and Marian Lee. Misty will switch which caller will contact
which members on the reminder call listings once a quarter. If anyone wants
to also serve on the committee, please let Linda Melendez know at
lindamelendez220 at gmail.com <mailto:lindamelendez220 at gmail.com> , and then
she will inform Misty.

The purpose of the New Activities & Events Committee is to notify the Sports
and Recreation members about spectator events and assist with establishing
new activities. The committee is chaired by Tony Santiago. Once informed
about new activities and events, they will be posted to our online calendar.
The activities and events will be announced during our meetings. Please
provide at least two weeks' notice so that we can share with the membership
and make appropriate transportation arrangements. Tony will be participating
in an Audio Dart Tournament this Friday from 9am to 12pm, located at the
Associated Services for the Blind in Philadelphia (the location is Access
Link accessible). We are currently looking into setting up goal ball and
bowling events.

The purpose of the New Membership Committee is to bring new blind and vision
impaired members in New Jersey to the Sports & Recreation Division of NFBNJ.
The goal is to have these new members as active members within the division
and state affiliate. This committee is chaired by Michael Benson. We are
working on details for a contest to bring in new active members into the
division.

20. Next Conference Call:

Our next meeting will take place on Wednesday, February 21, 2018 at 8:00 pm.

21. Round the Phone:

Joe Ruffalo informed all that Rebecca Bryant will soon be receiving open
heart surgery. In addition, Carol Castellano and Joe are working on their
next steps in response to the dismissal of Dan Frye as executive director of
the Commission.

Linda DeBerardinis stated how she enjoyed the Christmas show at the Pitman
Broadway Theater. Linda will be going to the January 28th showing of "Funny
Girl," tickets are $36 each. Linda will submit information on shows at the
Pitman Theater to Linda Melendez to be posted to the online calendar.

Annemarie Cooke stated that if any of the members want to assist her with
calling the theaters in the Theater Alliance to see when their audio
described shows are playing to let her or Linda know.

Brian Mackey announced that he is now the webmaster for the Nevada
affiliate. That brings him up to maintaining five state affiliate websites!

22. Linda DeBerardinis motioned to adjourn, seconded by Misty Hagan, and
unanimously approved. President Linda Melendez adjourned the meeting at 9:19
pm.

Respectfully submitted,

Brian Mackey, Secretary

Sports & Recreation Division of NFBNJ

***

Sports and Recreation Division of NFBNJ 3rd Conference Call