[NFBNJ-SportsandRec] Sports and Recreation Division NFBNJ Minutes for December 19, 2018 conference call and agenda for our Division Conference Call to be held Wednesday, January 16, 2019 at 8:00 pm

Linda Melendez lindamelendez220 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 04:27:14 UTC 2019

Hello Sports and Recreation Division NFBNJ Members:

Hope all is well. Listed below are the minutes from the December 19, 2018
conference call and the agenda with instructions on how to participate with
the Wednesday, January 16, 2019 division conference call that will be held
at 8:00 pm.

Please share with others as we build our division. Let’s spread
"CPS" Communicate, Participate and Share” with the goal of supporting and
encouraging other blind and vision impaired individuals to live the life
they want by participating and socializing in the sports, recreational and
spectator events they desire. The sky is the limit and we are stronger then
we think we are—We Got This!

Regards,
Linda Melendez, President
Sports & Recreation Division of the National Federation of the Blind of New
Jersey
732-421-7063 <(732)%20421-7063>
Email: lindamelendez220 at gmail.com

****

Sports & Recreation Division 12th Conference Call Meeting

Date: Wednesday, December 19, 2018

1. Roll Call: 21 members and guests in attendance

Officers:

Linda Melendez, President

Annemarie Cooke, Vice President

Geri McGinty, Treasurer

Board Members:

Misty Hagan, Tony Santiago

Members:

Johanna Baccan, Debbie Bloomer, Tracey Carcione, Ada Crandle, Linda
DeBerardinis, Jerry Fontenelli, Rick Fox, Renee Freiling, Mike Halm, Phil
Harrison, Ken Lawrence, Marian Lee, Brian Mackey, Andrew Rees, Sherry
Rollins

Guest:  Mel Scott

2. Vice President Annemarie Cooke called the meeting to order at 8:02 pm.
Annemarie thanked Brian Mackey, Division Secretary emeritus, for taking
great minutes and also thanked Misty Hagan, Board Member and Chair of the
Reminder Call committee, and the members of the Reminder Call Committee for
making these very important reminder calls.

3. Conference Call Etiquette: Annemarie Cooke

Annemarie Cooke went over the etiquette for our conference call meetings.
To review what the etiquette is. Please refer to the January agenda or the
December 2018 Sports & Rec Division Line-Up for detailed information.

4. Welcome: Annemarie Cooke

The Sports & Recreation Division of NFBNJ has two purposes. The first
purpose is to promote and share this division with other blind and vision
impaired individuals so they can become members of the National Federation
of the Blind of New Jersey. The second is to encourage and promote our
members to become involved in sports, recreational and spectator activities
on a state, local, and individual level.

5. Minutes:   Minutes are sent to paid members through our Announcement
only email distribution list.

a. Annemarie Cooke asked if any of the paid members did not receive the
October 2018 minutes and all members indicated they received the minutes.
Sherry Rollins motioned to accept the October 2018 minutes as presented,
seconded by Misty Hagan, and unanimously approved.

b. Annemarie Cooke asked for a motion to pass the November 2018 Business
Meeting Minutes as presented. Andrew Rees motioned to accept the November
2018 minutes as presented, seconded by Ada Crandle and unanimously approved.

6. Treasury Report: Geri McGinty, Treasurer Sports and Recreation Division
NFBNJ

Beginning Balances:

General Account:  $664.71

State Events:   $1,000.00

Bring One Win One Challenge Restricted Funds:  $200.00

PAC Plan Restricted Funds:  $ 240.00

Combined Division Balance: $2,104.71

General Account:

Income:
 Dues:  $155.00

State Convention Raffle:    $417.50

Boscov’s Friends Helping Friends:  $365.00

Total Income:    $935.50

Expenses:

PAC Plan (November):    $10.00

PAC Plan (December):  $ 10.00

NFBNJ Scholarship Fund Donation:  $  100.00

Total Expenses:  $170.00

Ending Balance:  $1,430.21

Ending Balances:

General Account:   $1,430.21

State Events:  $1,000.00

Bring One Win One Challenge Restricted Funds:  $200.00

PAC Plan Restricted Funds: $240.00

Combined Division Balance:  $2,870.21

 Misty Hagan motioned to accept the treasury report as presented, seconded
by Phil Harrison, and unanimously approved.

7. Washington Seminar Donation: Annemarie Cooke

Chapters and divisions have been encouraged to send contributions towards
Washington Seminar to the affiliate treasury. Geri McGinty motioned to
donate $200 to the state affiliate earmarked for Washington Seminar,
seconded by Brian Mackey, and unanimously approved.

8. 2019 Membership:  Annemarie Cooke

Currently, we have 42 paid members! To join the division, individuals must
be a resident of New Jersey and pay yearly dues of $5.00. Only paid members
will have the right to make motions, vote, serve on committees and run for
office, and receive messages through the division’s email announcement
list. If no dues are paid, they are considered participants and do NOT have
the same rights as members. Checks and money orders must be made payable to
Sports & Recreation Division NFBNJ, and write 2019 dues in the memo field.
For additional information, please reference the December 2018 Sports & Rec
Lineup.

9. New Jersey NFB Book Club: Jane Degenshein, Book Club Moderator

This quarter’s book is The Power of Love; how Kenneth Jernigan changed the
world for the blind” by Ramona Walhof (DB86625). If you know you are
attending, please complete the registration form at
www.nfbnj.org/book-club-registration. For additional information, please
reference the December 2018 Sports & Rec Division Lineup.

10. State Convention Brief Update: Linda Melendez, President Sports and
Recreation Division NFBNJ

Linda Melendez thanked all who assisted with making our 42nd state
convention a success. We had record numbers of people attending. Linda
reported that during the four days of the convention, she walked a total of
75,000 steps (32.66 miles). We honored Joe Ruffalo for his 25 years of
service as our affiliate president by publishing a joke book in print,
Braille, and audio. The proceeds from the joke book sales would be put into
the Joe/Rose Ruffalo Memorial Scholarship fund account under the affiliate
treasury. To keep it a surprise, personal funds were used to print the
books. Printing of the joke books in Braille by the national office cost a
total of $112.50 out of Linda Melendez’s pocket. Linda is being reimbursed
for the amount by the affiliate. Brian Mackey motioned that we donate
$112.50 to cover the cost to print the books in Braille to the affiliate
treasury, seconded by Tony Santiago, and unanimously approved.

The 43rd state convention will take place November 7th to 10th at the
Renaissance Woodbridge Hotel. Additional details are being worked on. For
additional details on the state convention, please reference
www.nfbnj.org/state-convention.

11. Old Business:

a. PAC Plan Increased: Annemarie Cooke

The Pre-Authorized Contribution (PAC) Plan is a method where members,
affiliates, chapters, divisions, and others can give a regular and
automatic donation to the Federation every month to support our National
programs. Some of these programs are the distribution of free literature,
funding the Free White Cane program, funding the Free Slate and Stylus
program, fund legal battles, assisting with the national scholarship
programs and provide free web hosting through NFBNet.org
<http://www.nfbnet.org/>. The minimum donation is $5 a month ($0.17 a day)
and there is no limit. We increased our monthly PAC Plan donation from
$10.00 to $20.00 a month during our division business meeting at the 2018
state convention. Please consider joining the PAC Plan family and contact
Mac Biggers at 801-916-9753 or macbiggers at yahoo.com.

b. Fund for New Jersey Blind Grant:  Linda Melendez

Linda Melendez announced that we have been awarded a grant from the Fund
for New Jersey Blind in the amount of $2,000.00 for a leadership seminar.
The planning committee will have details and information at the February
2019 meeting.

c. Elections: Linda Melendez

During our division business meeting at the 42nd state convention, we
re-elected Tony Santiago and Misty Hagan as board members. In addition,
Trish Ebel was elected as a board member and Vee Gaspa was elected as
secretary to complete Brian Mackey’s unexpired term. Linda Melendez thanked
Dawn Ferrara and Brian Mackey for their service on the board. Linda also
congratulated all who were elected. Even though Brian is no longer a member
of the board and will not be eligible to renew his membership in 2019 due
to residing in Pennsylvania, Linda will still find jobs for Brian.

12. New Business:

a. 2019 After the Holiday Party January 5th: Annemarie Cooke

Annemarie Cooke reminded all to sign up for the 10th annual After the
Holiday Party, which is taking place on January 5th from 1 to 5 pm at the
Knights of Columbus Hall in Belleville. This location is Access Link
accessible. Additional information is available at
www.nfbnj.org/holiday-party. If you have questions, please contact Joe
Ruffalo at 973-743-0075 or nfbnj1 at verizon.net.

b. Save the Date:  April 13 Comedy Night Joint Joe and Rose Scholarship
Fund Fundraiser: Annemarie Cooke

The NFBNJ and UNICO will be hosting a joint Comedy Night Joe and Rose
Ruffalo Scholarship Fun Fundraiser on April 13th at the Knights of Columbus
Hall in Belleville. This is the same location as our After the Holiday
Party and is Access Link accessible. Additional details will be distributed
through the NFBNJ listserv after January 5th.

c. Supermarket Educational, Outreach and Fundraising Events: Linda Melendez

Linda Melendez conducted a conference call to go over how to run a
successful educational outreach fundraiser. Last year the division raised
about $2,600 from these fundraisers! Please consider contacting your
supermarket by the middle of January to get a date on their calendar to
coordinate an event to raise awareness about the NFBNJ, find new members,
and raise funds for our programs and projects.  Contact Linda Melendez for
assistance at 732-421-7063 or lindamelendez220 at gmail.com.

13. Smithsonian Experience:  Tracy Carcione

Tracy Carcione, member of the Sports and Recreation Division shared her
great experience visiting the Smithsonian Museum and highly recommend that
other blind and vision impaired individuals contact them for an audio
described and sensory tour. Please reference the December 2018 Sports & Rec
Division Lineup for additional information.

14. January Conference Call Schedule:  Annemarie Cooke

There will be two meetings taking place on January 16, 2019. The New Jersey
NFB Book Club meeting will take place on the Technology Division conference
call line starting at 6:45pm. Our January 2019 meeting will take place that
same night on our usual line starting at 8pm. Please reference the December
2018 Sports & Rec Division Lineup for the call-in information.

15. BlindAlive and Eyes-Free Fitness  Free Downloads: Mel Scott

Mel Scott discussed as our Spotlight Speaker. After five years of
operation, BlindAlive is going out of business and she is allowing
individuals to download all her accessible workouts for free until December
31, 2018. The workouts are in zip files on her website, www.blindalive.com.
Mel walked everyone through how to download the files through their
computer or iPhone. Annemarie Cooke inquire if the files can be downloaded
to the Victor Stream. Since the files are zip files on her website, you
will need to unzip the files prior to uploading to your Victor Stream.
Linda Melendez inquired what is needed to upload the files onto the servers
of the NFBNJ website. Mel stated that we will need to make sure there is
enough room on the server to accommodate the files. Mel estimates they will
take about 10 GB of storage space. Brian Mackey will check on the server’s
available storage space, and will put them on our site if there is.

16. Round the phone: All

We tabled this agenda item due to music suddenly playing on the conference
line after Mel Scott left the call.

17. Tony Santiago motioned to adjourn, seconded by Misty Hagan, and
unanimously approved. Vice President Annemarie Cooke adjourn the meeting at
8:55 pm.

Respectfully submitted by Brian Mackey, Secretary Emeritus (in absence of
Vee Gaspa, Secretary)

Reviewed by Linda Melendez, President

****
Sports & Recreation Division Conference Call Meeting Agenda