[NFBNJ] NFBNJ: Notes For October 2016 From President Ruffalo

nfbnj.secretary at aol.com nfbnj.secretary at aol.com
Mon Oct 10 04:56:14 UTC 2016

>From the desk of NFBNJ President Joe Ruffalo

Greetings to all!
Please read and share with others.
I hope the monthly notes from your president are helpful, educational,
inspirational and motivational.
Keep well an let’s build the Federation!
Joe ruffalo, President
Nfbnj1 at verizon.net

Items of Interest
1. State convention highlights
2. Voting info, Thursday, October 27 at 8:00 PM
3. National convention highlights, live presentations, links provided
4. Independence Market info
5. Advocacy Success featuring Anthony Lanzilotti
6. White Cane law and additional info

****

1. Posted on the state website, please visit,
www.nfb.org

State Convention
National Federation of the Blind of New Jersey 40th ANNUAL STATE CONVENTION
November 10 through November 13, 2016
Theme: Raising Expectations
Host: State Affiliate
The 40th Annual State Convention of the National Federation of the Blind of
New Jersey will be held at the:
Holiday Inn Hotel
151 Route 72 East
Manahawkin, New Jersey 08050
Access Link accessible.
Mark your calendars and make every effort to attend the 40th annual state
convention of the NFBNJ. Get Involved. Make a Difference!
Hotel Room Reservations
Please reserve your hotel rooms at the Manahawkin Holiday Inn as soon as
possible. Our room block is available until October 19, 2016, after which
the rooms are released to the general public. Rooms are $89 a night plus
tax. For each night you stay, it includes a full breakfast the following
morning for everyone in your room. Nothing will be charged onto your credit
card until arrival unless you cancel less than 24 hours in advance. To
reserve, contact the hotel directly at 609-481-6100, ask to be directed to
Group Reservations, and use group code NFB.
Pre-Registration Form
The 2016 pre-registration period is now open. Please download and complete
the NFBNJ Pre-Registration form. Submission deadline is October 27th. Make
all checks payable to NFBNJ and write 2016 convention registration in the
memo line. We look forward to seeing all in November.
• 2016 NFBNJ Pre-Registration Form (Word)
• 2016 NFBNJ Pre-Registration Form (PDF)
• 2016 NFBNJ Pre-Registration Form – short version (Word)
• 2016 NFBNJ Pre-Registration Form – short version (PDF)
Agenda
As we complete the agenda, this information will be available. We are
targeting late October for posting the agenda on Newsline and on the state
website. In addition, when completed we will forward to all on our
distribution lists.

National Representative
We are proud to announce that Everette Bacon, member of the National Board
of Directors of the NFB and President of the Utah affiliate has been
assigned as our national representative for our 40th state convention,
Raising Expectations!
Here is Everette’s story of his journey with the Federation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVnmPNAi-KA
If you wish to read his bio on the NFB website, please visit
www.nfb.org/everette-bacon-bio
Additional Information
If you have questions and need additional information, please contact:
Joseph Ruffalo, President
254 Spruce Street
Bloomfield, NJ 07003
Phone: 973-743-0075
Email: nfbnj1 at verizon.net

**
2. The following message is from Samson Carr, a member in The At Large
Chapter of the NFBNJ.
To all, consider joining the October At Large Chapter conference call
scheduled for Thursday, October 27 at 8:00 PM.
Call: 712 432 0180 Code: 460994
Samson’s message follows.

Afternoon Joe,

I spoke with Somerset County's Board of Elections administrator Jerry
Migette ESQ. this morning. And he agreed to speak at our next at large
chapter meeting on Thursday, October 27 for 15 minutes.

**

3. The highlights from the 2016 National Convention are now up on
NFB.org. Here’s the link:
https://nfb.org/national-convention-highlights.
• In addition to the many other ways that members and friends can stay
informed about what's happening in our movement (see "Stay Informed" below),
we now have an exciting new podcast. Each month, the Nation's Blind Podcast
presents Federation happenings and philosophy in a fun and interactive way.
Regular features include Federation news updates and Presidential Privilege,
in which President Riccobono shares his thoughts with members. You can find
the Nation's Blind Podcast by searching for it in iTunes and other
directories, or you can paste the following link into your favorite
podcatcher: https://nfb.org/images/nfb/nations_blind_podcast/rss/rss.xml

**

4. Independence Market
The NFB Independence Market is the conduit through which we distribute our
empowering literature to our members and the general public. We also operate
a blindness products store focusing primarily on low-tech items. As promised
in an earlier issue of Imagineering, here are descriptions of the remaining
products that were new at this year's national convention.
We are test-marketing a carbon fiber Mini Telescoping Cane with nine
sections. This cane is not designed to be someone's main travel aid, but an
emergency backup. The canes are available from 51 to 59 inches, in two-inch
increments, in limited quantities.
Sleepshades are used in training settings to teach nonvisual skills. We have
been asked to find more comfortable sleepshades and we believe we now have
them. The Dream Essentials Black Contoured Sleep Masks are comfortable,
padded, lightweight sleepshades with eye cavities and an adjustable Velcro
strap. Made from soft, breathable polyester fabric, they are hand washable.
We identified a new source for Free Matter Stamps and now carry this useful
article again. Qualifying large-print (14 point or larger) and Braille
materials may be mailed free of charge via the United States Postal Service.
Use this rubber stamp to print "FREE MATTER FOR THE BLIND AND PHYS.
HANDICAPPED" on your mail. Check with your local post office or the USPS
website to learn more about "Free Matter" mail.
Adding to our assortment of tactual marking aids, we now sell the popular
Loc-Dots: clear, round, self-adhesive labels with a raised bump. Use these
small, unobtrusive dots to mark items such as computer keyboards and buttons
on household appliances.
We are now offering the Tactile Low-Vision Timer, which is equally
accessible by blind and low-vision users. This large, freestanding,
sixty-minute timer features raised white numbers on a black background. Each
minute is marked with a raised white line; the five minute intervals are
indicated with longer lines.
We have added the Talking Infrared All-Purpose Thermometer to our product
line. This hand-held talking infrared thermometer can instantly measure the
temperature of hot and cold items without physical contact. Use it to check
the temperature of items bubbling on the stove as well as to verify your
oven, refrigerator, and freezer temperatures. The scan function can be used
to locate a hot burner on a flat cook top stove. The thermometer measures
both in Fahrenheit (-94 to 716 degrees) and Centigrade (-70 to 380 degrees).
The unit features a built-in, talking quick tutor, and speaks in three
languages: English, Spanish, and French. This thermometer is a versatile
tool that can be used all around the home.
If you are looking for an accessible thermostat for your home, the Talking
Thermostat (Vip3000) should meet your needs. This talking thermostat is
designed to be used in residential settings and can control most
twenty-four-volt heating and air conditioning systems, including the newest
multi-stage furnaces, air conditioners, and heat pump systems. One can
easily check the indoor temperature and the thermostat setting, and adjust
the temperature. The weekday and weekend programs allow one to specify the
temperature for heating and cooling for four different selectable time
points during the day and night. The unit speaks during all aspects of
setup. Audio and text-based instructions on CD are included. Now you can
independently control the temperature in your own home.
Finally, we started carrying a new raised-line coloring book. I Am a Crayon.
What Color Am I? by John Batron is a tactile, Braille, and large-print
coloring and storybook, for blind and sighted family and friends to share
with their young children. The story in large print and uncontracted Braille
includes nine unique tactile pictures.
For more information about the products and literature available from the
NFB Independence Market, please visit us online or contact us via email at
independencemarket at nfb.orgor by phone at (410) 659-9314, extension 2216.
Our staff will be glad to assist you.

***

5. Advocacy
Success
The National Federation of the Blind applauds NFB of New Jersey member
Anthony Lanzilotti for his recent graduation from Atlantic Cape Community
College and acceptance into the Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society. Mr.
Lanzilotti’s tenacity was key to his success in participating fully and
equally in his college’s programs and in securing his degree. During the
course of his attending Atlantic Cape Community College, Mr. Lanzilotti was
a plaintiff alongside the NFB in a lawsuit against the school. The resulting
2015 consent decree requires the school to ensure accessibility of its
website and all instructional material and educational technology, and to
review and revise its policies for accommodating students with disabilities,
thus laying a framework for success for future blind Atlantic Cape Community
College students. Congratulations, Anthony!

**

6. From our state website.
October is Meet The Blind Month and therefore, I decided to provide the
following information.
Mobility and Cane Travel
White Cane Law
39:4-37.1 Right-of-way crossing intersection for blind person, guide dog
instructor.
Any blind person using as a guide a walking cane, predominantly white or
metallic in color or any blind person using as a guide a seeing-eye dog or
other dog trained as a guide for the blind, equipped with a rigid
“U” -shaped harness such as customarily used on dog guides or any guide dog
instructor engaged in instructing a guide dog shall have the right-of-way in
crossing any highway or any intersection thereof, and all drivers of
vehicles shall yield the right-of-way to such blind person or guide dog
instructor engaged in instructing a guide dog although traffic on said
highway or intersection thereof is controlled by traffic signals, anything
in the motor vehicle and traffic laws of this State to the contrary
notwithstanding. The failure of a blind person or guide dog instructor to
comply with the provisions of this act shall not give rise to a conclusive
presumption of contributory negligence by such person. The provisions of
this section shall not apply where traffic is specially directed by a
traffic or police officer. L.1939,c.274,s.1; amended 1946, c.208; 1971,
c.81; 1999, c.264, s.2.
The preceeding was referenced in
http://nj-statute-info.com/getStatute.php?statute_id=711.
White Cane Safety Day: A Symbol of Independence
by Marc Maurer
In February of 1978 a young blind lady said, “I encounter people all of the
time who bless me, extol my independence, call me brave and courageous, and
thoroughly miss the boat as to what the real significance of the white cane
is.”
The National Federation of the Blind in convention assembled on the 6th day
of July, 1963, called upon the governors of the fifty states to proclaim
October 15 of each year as White Cane Safety Day in each of our fifty
states. On October 6, 1964, a joint resolution of the Congress, HR 753, was
signed into law authorizing the President of the United States to proclaim
October 15 of each year as “White Cane Safety Day.” This resolution said:
“Resolved by the Senate and House of Representatives”, that the President is
hereby authorized to issue annually a proclamation designating October 15 as
White Cane Safety Day and calling upon the people of the United States to
observe such a day with appropriate ceremonies and activities.’
Within hours of the passage of the congressional joint resolution
authorizing the President to proclaim October 15 as White Cane Safety Day,
then President Lyndon B. Johnson recognized the importance of the white cane
as a staff of independence for blind people. In the first Presidential White
Cane Proclamation President Johnson commended the blind for the growing
spirit of independence and the increased determination to be self-reliant
that the organized blind had shown. The Presidential proclamation said:
The white cane in our society has become one of the symbols of a blind
person’s ability to come and go on his own. Its use has promoted courtesy
and special consideration to the blind on our streets and highways. To make
our people more fully aware of the meaning of the white cane and of the need
for motorists to exercise special care for the blind persons who carry it
Congress, by a joint resolution approved as of October 6, 1964, has
authorized the President to proclaim October 15 of each year as White Cane
Safety Day.
Now, therefore, I, Lyndon B. Johnson, President of the United States of
America do hereby proclaim October 15, 1964 as White Cane Safety Day.
With those stirring words President Johnson issued the first White Cane
Proclamation which was the culmination of a long and serious effort on the
part of the National Federation of the Blind to gain recognition for the
growing independence and self-sufficiency of blind people in America, and
also to gain recognition of the white cane as the symbol of that
independence and that self-reliance.
The first of the state laws regarding the right of blind people to travel
independently with the white cane was passed in 1930. In 1966, Dr. Jacobus
tenBroek, the founder of the National Federation of the Blind, drafted the
model White Cane Law. This model act–which has become known as the Civil
Rights Bill for the Blind, the Disabled, and the Otherwise Physically
Handicapped-‘contains a provision designating October 15 as White Cane
Safety Day. Today there is a variant of the White Cane Law on the statute
books of every state in the nation.
>From 1963 (and even before) when the National Federation of the Blind sought
to have White Cane Safety Day proclaimed as a recognition of the rights of
blind persons, to 1978 when a blind pedestrian met with misunderstanding
regarding the true meaning of the white cane, is but a short time in the
life of a movement. In 1963, a comparatively small number of blind people
had achieved sufficient independence to travel alone on the busy highways of
our nation. In 1978 that number has not simply increased but multiplied a
hundredfold. The process began in the beginning of the organized blind
movement and continues today. There was a time when it was unusual to see a
blind person on the street, to find a blind person working in an office, or
to see a blind person operating machinery in a factory. This is still all
too uncommon. But it happens more often and the symbol of this independence
is the white cane. The blind are able to go, to move, to be, and to compete
with all others in society. The means by which this is done is that simple
tool, the white cane. With the growing use of the white cane is an added
element’-the wish and the will to be free’-the unquenchable spirit and the
inextinguishable determination to be independent. With these our lives are
changed, and the prospects for blind people become bright. That is what
White Cane Safety Day is all about. That is what we do in the National
Federation of the Blind
I Do Do It: Three Fundamentals of Cane Travel
Reprinted from The Braille Monitor by Peggy Elliott
>From the Editor: Peggy Elliott is one of the best cane travelers I know. She
is president of the Iowa affiliate, second vice president of the National
Federation of the Blind, and a busy attorney and city council member in
Grinnell, Iowa. All this means that she gets lots of practice using her
cane. In the following article she draws from example and illustration to
distill what some consider to be her rather eccentric cane technique from
three fundamental skills. In addition she throws in a lot more good advice.
If the test of successful cane travel is getting where you want to go
safely, gracefully, and efficiently, Peggy is among our best travelers, and
we should all pay close attention to her comments. This is what she says:
I learned to use a white cane a number of years ago under circumstances that
would now be described as discovery learning, but before that term was
coined. I was taught the fundamental cane technique of stepping and
simultaneously tapping my cane in front of the foot I wasn’t stepping on and
then stepping forward and repeating the simultaneous tapping in front of the
other foot at the other end of an arc no wider than my shoulders. The
technique is often called the two-point touch technique. I was taught to
center my cane by holding it with my index finger extended and my thumb on
top. The cane handle was to be kept near the center of my stomach. I was
then drilled with daily practice for about nine months to perfect the skills
of tapping, centering, staying in step, arcing widely enough, and trusting
the information my cane provided until these techniques became so routine
that I no longer needed to think about them and did them unconsciously.
Free White Cane Program
Individuals are eligible to receive free long white canes once every six
months through the National Federation of the Blind’s Free White Cane
program. Shortly after recipients receive a free white cane, they will be
contacted by the National Federation of the Blind of New Jersey (NFBNJ)
White Cane Committee. They will first receive an email welcoming them and
informing the individual that they will be added to the NFBNJ distribution
listing. In that same message, they will receive the current issue of The
Sounding Board, the semi-annual publication of NFBNJ. In that email, the
individual will find a link to the Free White Cane YouTube video which
discusses basic techniques on how to use their new white cane. About four to
five days after that email, they will receive a follow-up phone call. To
request a Free White Cane, visit http://www.nfb.org/free-cane-program or
dial 410-659-9314.

Forwarded by:

Alice Eaddy
Secretary, National Federation of the Blind of New Jersey
(856)765-0601
nfbnj.secretary at aol.com
You can't base your life on other people's expectations
Stevie Wonder