[NFBNJ] NFB: The Braille Monitor, December 2017

Brian Mackey bmackey88 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 22 20:29:47 UTC 2017

>From the desk of NFBNJ President Joe Ruffalo

Received from Brian Burrow, NFB.

Greetings to all!

The Braille Monitor for December is filled with educational, motivational
and inspirational articles.

Pay close attention to the articles highlighting the national scholarship
program, the first timers scholarship, social security and medicare/medicaid
facts for 2018 and much more.

For those early birds that want to reserve your hotel room for the 2018
national convention in Orlando, Florida, the information is available in
this issue.

We are suggesting that you forward to others on your email distribution
lists.

****

                           BRAILLE MONITOR

Vol. 60, No. 11  December 2017

                             Gary Wunder, Editor

      Distributed by email, in inkprint, in Braille, and on USB flash

drive, by the

      NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND

      Mark Riccobono, President

      telephone: (410) 659-9314

      email address: nfb at nfb.org <mailto:nfb at nfb.org>

      website address: http://www.nfb.org

      NFBnet.org: http://www.nfbnet.org

      NFB-NEWSLINE. information: (866) 504-7300

       Like us on Facebook: Facebook.com/nationalfederationoftheblind

                      Follow us on Twitter: @NFB_Voice

            Watch and share our videos: YouTube.com/NationsBlind

Letters to the President, address changes, subscription requests, and

orders for NFB literature should be sent to the national office. Articles

for the Monitor and letters to the editor may also be sent to the national

office or may be emailed to gwunder at nfb.org <mailto:gwunder at nfb.org> .

Monitor subscriptions cost the Federation  about  forty  dollars  per  year.

Members  are  invited,  and  nonmembers  are   requested,   to   cover   the

subscription cost. Donations should be made payable to  National  Federation

of the Blind and sent to:

      National Federation of the Blind

      200 East Wells Street at Jernigan Place

      Baltimore, Maryland 21230-4998

    THE NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND KNOWS THAT BLINDNESS IS NOT THE

   CHARACTERISTIC THAT DEFINES YOU OR YOUR FUTURE. EVERY DAY WE RAISE THE

   EXPECTATIONS OF BLIND PEOPLE, BECAUSE LOW EXPECTATIONS CREATE OBSTACLES

    BETWEEN BLIND PEOPLE AND OUR DREAMS. YOU CAN LIVE THE LIFE YOU WANT;

BLINDNESS IS NOT WHAT HOLDS YOU BACK. THE NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND

IS NOT AN ORGANIZATION SPEAKING FOR THE BLIND-IT IS THE BLIND SPEAKING FOR

                                 OURSELVES.

ISSN 0006-8829

) 2017 by the National Federation of the Blind

      Each issue is recorded on a thumb drive (also called a memory stick

or USB flash drive). You can read this audio edition using a computer or a

National Library Service digital player. The NLS machine has two slots-the

familiar book-cartridge slot just above the retractable carrying handle and

a second slot located on the right side near the headphone jack. This

smaller slot is used to play thumb drives. Remove the protective rubber pad

covering this slot and insert the thumb drive. It will insert only in one

position. If you encounter resistance, flip the drive over and try again.

(Note: If the cartridge slot is not empty when you insert the thumb drive,

the digital player will ignore the thumb drive.) Once the thumb drive is

inserted, the player buttons will function as usual for reading digital

materials. If you remove the thumb drive to use the player for cartridges,

when you insert it again, reading should resume at the point you stopped.

      You can transfer the recording of each issue from the thumb drive to

your computer or preserve it on the thumb drive. However, because thumb

drives can be used hundreds of times, we would appreciate their return in

order to stretch our funding. Please use the return envelope enclosed with

the drive when you return the device.

Vol. 60, No. 11                                          December 2017

      Contents

Illustration: Technological Team-Up: The Federation Sponsors Its First

Hackathon

Convention Bulletin 2018

The Wall-to-Wall Thanksgiving

by Barbara Pierce

Merchants' BLAST Conference Soars to New Heights

by Terry Smith

Why Not Hire Yourself?

by Mike Bullis

The Secret to Winning a National Federation of the Blind Scholarship

by Cayte Mendez

Social Security, SSI, and Medicare Facts for 2018

by John Pari

The Dr. Jacob Bolotin Awards

by James Gashel

National Federation of the Blind and Automakers Host Conference on the

Promise of Autonomous Vehicles and the Disability Community

The 2018 Blind Educator of the Year Award

by Edward Bell

Confrontation at the Capitol: The Fight to Stop H.R. 620

by Kyle Walls

The Blind Can Participate in Worship and Bible Study

by Susan Povinelli

Running to Catch the Elusive Dream of Fitness and Accomplishment

by Jessica Beecham

The Power of the Mind: Research Exploring the Capacity of the Blind

by Marina Bedny

Preparing His Granddaughter for a Life Without

Sight.....................................................................

by Jon Tevlin

Teachers Talk: Working with Parents Who Happen to be Blind

by Melissa Riccobono

The Story of Ele

by Naomi Mills

Make a Difference

by Patti Chang and Anna Adler

The Kenneth Jernigan Convention Scholarship Fund

by Allen Harris

The 2018 Distinguished Educator of Blind Students Award

by Carla McQuillan

The Holman Prize Sets Sail: Who Won This Year's Prize for "Blind Ambition,"

and Why

by Sheri Wells-Jensen

Supporting Equality for Blind Americans: A New Sheriff in the United States

House of Representatives

by Val Demings

Independence Market Corner

by Ellen Ringlein

Meet the Blind Month and White Cane Awareness Day in Cincinnati

by Annie McEachirn Carson

Recipes

Monitor Miniatures

[PHOTO/CAPTION: Team A discusses the challenges posed by translating

information from Google Maps into text.]

[PHOTO/CAPTION: Team B discusses methods to give feedback on pulse, speed,

and other information to blind athletes.]

[PHOTO/CAPTION: Two members of Team B take a moment to pose for the

camera.]

[PHOTO/CAPTION: Team A presents their conclusions to the group at the end

of the day.]

     Technological Team-Up: The Federation Sponsors Its First Hackathon

      I have heard of hacking, but what in the world is a hackathon, and

why would the National Federation of the Blind be involved in it? According

to Wikipedia, a hackathon is "a design sprint-like event in which computer

programmers and others involved in software development, including graphic

designers, interface designers, project managers, and others, often

including subject-matter-experts, collaborate intensively on software

projects. The goal of a hackathon is to create usable software."

      Sigaccess is a special interest group of the Association for

Computing Machinery (ACM). The ACM brings together computing educators,

researchers, and professionals to inspire dialogue, share resources, and

address the field's challenges. Sigaccess promotes the interests of

professionals working on research and development of computing and

information technology to help people with disabilities.

      The National Federation of the Blind in partnership with Sigaccess

hosted a hackathon. The theme was accessible tracking, both of one's

physical location and one's physical condition. One team focused on

accessible mapping, and the other focused on accessing information about

heart rate and other information while exercising.

[PHOTO/CAPTION: Rosen Shingle Creek Resort]

                          Convention Bulletin 2018

                         Rosen Shingle Creek Resort

      It is time to begin planning for the 2018 convention of the National

Federation of the Blind. We will again meet in Orlando and will once more

be staying at the beautiful Rosen Shingle Creek Resort. This will be

Federationists' last opportunity for a while to enjoy the Rosen hospitality

we have come to love and the myriad activities that the Orlando area has to

offer. The dates for the 2018 convention are July 3 through July 8.

      Our hotel rates are enviably competitive for a resort  hotel  such  as

Shingle Creek. For the 2018 convention they are singles  and  doubles,  $88;

and for triples and quads, $93. In addition to the room rates there will  be

a tax, which at present  is  12.5  percent.  No  charge  will  be  made  for

children under seventeen in the room with parents as long as  no  extra  bed

is requested. Please note that the hotel is a no-smoking facility.

      For 2018 convention room reservations you can call the hotel at  (866)

996-6338 after January 1. You may also write directly to the  Rosen  Shingle

Creek, 9939 Universal Boulevard,  Orlando,  Florida  32819-9357.  The  hotel

will want a deposit of $100 for each  room  and  will  want  a  credit  card

number or a personal check. If you use a credit card, the  deposit  will  be

charged against your card immediately, just as would  be  the  case  with  a

$100 check. If a reservation is cancelled before Friday, June 1, 2018,  half

of the deposit will be returned. Otherwise refunds will not be made.

      All Rosen Shingle Creek  guestrooms  feature  amenities  that  include

plush Creek Sleeper beds, 40"  flat  screen  TVs,  complimentary  high-speed

internet capabilities, in-room safes, coffee makers, mini-fridges, and  hair

dryers. Guests can enjoy four outdoor swimming pools,  a  full-service  spa,

and fifteen dining/lounging options from fine-dining and  elaborate  buffets

to casual dining both indoors and poolside.

      The 2018 convention of the National Federation of the Blind will be  a

truly exciting  and  memorable  event,  with  an  unparalleled  program  and

rededication to the goals and work of our movement. Make plans now to  be  a

part of it. Preconvention seminars for parents of blind children  and  other

groups and set-up of the exhibit hall will take place on  Tuesday,  July  3,

and adjournment will be Sunday, July 8, following  the  banquet.  Convention

registration and registration packet pick-up will begin on  Wednesday,  July

4, and  both  Wednesday  and  Thursday  will  be  filled  with  meetings  of

divisions and committees, including the  Thursday  morning  annual  meeting,

open to all, of the Board of Directors of the  National  Federation  of  the

Blind.

      General  convention  sessions  will  begin  on  Friday,  July  6,  and

continue through the banquet on Sunday, July 8. To assure  yourself  a  room

in the headquarters hotel at convention rates, you  must  make  reservations

early. The hotel will be ready to take your call or deal with  your  written

request by January 1.

      Remember that as usual we need  door  prizes  from  state  affiliates,

local chapters, and individuals. Once again prizes should be small  in  size

but large in value. Cash, of course, is always appropriate and  welcome.  As

a general rule we ask that prizes of all kinds have a value of at least  $25

and not  include  alcohol.  Drawings  will  occur  steadily  throughout  the

convention  sessions,  and  you  can  anticipate  a  grand  prize  of  truly

impressive proportions to be drawn  at  the  banquet.  You  may  bring  door

prizes with you or send them ahead of time  to  Paul  Martinez,  11902  Rose

Harbor Drive, Apt. 113, Tampa, FL 33625.

      The best collection of exhibits featuring new technology; meetings  of

our  special  interest  groups,  committees,   and   divisions;   the   most

stimulating and provocative program items of any meeting  of  the  blind  in

the world; the chance to renew friendships in  our  Federation  family;  and

the unparalleled opportunity to be  where  the  real  action  is  and  where

decisions are being made-all of these mean you will not want to  miss  being

a part of the 2018 national convention. We'll see you in Orlando in July.

                                 ----------

[PHOTO CAPTION: Barbara Pierce]

                        The Wall-To-Wall Thanksgiving

                              by Barbara Pierce

>From the Editor: We have been highlighting some of the spectacular articles

that are found in the thirty books we refer to as our Kernel Books. Given

the time of the year, it seems appropriate to run a story about the

holidays, and who better to write it than Barbara Pierce, a longtime editor

of this magazine. Here is how she was introduced when her story was

published in the Kernel Book named for her article, the thirteenth in the

series:

      Barbara Pierce is no stranger to Kernel Book readers, having appeared

in these pages frequently. The remarkable thing about her current story is

that it records truly unremarkable events-the sort that occur regularly in

any typical family. Read Barbara's heartwarming account of her young

family's efforts to celebrate traditional American holidays while living in

London and see if you don't come to believe that we who are blind are

people-just like you in more ways than not. Here is what she has to say:

      Almost twenty years ago now my English-professor husband Bob; our

three children (Steven, nine; Anne, six; and Margaret, just four); and I

packed up and moved to London for the school year. Bob was to teach our

college's London semester program during the fall semester and spend the

spring doing his own scholarship during his sabbatical leave. The children,

including little Margy, would all attend school, and I planned to keep

house, try my hand at writing a book, and spend time getting to know the

members of the National Federation of the Blind of the United Kingdom.

      We were lucky to find a small house to rent in one of the outlying

suburbs. The elementary school was nearby, as were the shops where I would

spend a good deal of time and the tube station from which Bob would leave

for central London every morning. Best of all, our next-door neighbor had a

niece around the corner who was willing to baby-sit for us during the

evenings when Bob and I went to the theater with his students.

      We settled in easily, and the shopkeepers became accustomed to my

long white cane, American accent, two-wheeled shopping trolley, and

occasional gaggle of children. Expeditions to the butcher, greengrocer,

chemist, and grocery shop were easier and faster without the youngsters,

but so were cleaning the house and writing. Besides, the girls especially

loved to "go to the shops" with me, so we quickly became an institution in

the neighborhood.

      By late October the whole family had become acclimatized to life in

London. The children had made friends and were developing English accents.

I was resigned to washing school uniforms in the bath tub on the days when

I didn't go to the laundromat. And Bob had established a warm relationship

with his students. We decided that on the Saturday before Halloween we

should invite the whole class to supper. They had tickets to a Saturday

matinee performance of a Shakespeare play, so it would be easy for all of

them to come back to the house together at the close of the afternoon.

      I didn't even consider attending the play that day. After all,

somebody had to prepare supper for that crowd, and I didn't think that the

baby-sitter and the children would get very far picking up the living room,

much less setting out the food I had prepared.

      Steven had been somewhat disappointed at missing Halloween at home

with its costumes and trick or treating, so we decided to do what we could

to celebrate this important annual rite of American childhood with our

party. I made a big chocolate cake and let the children tint the butter

frosting a shocking shade of orange. We managed to find candy corn and

witches with which to decorate our masterpiece.

      But the real triumph of the meal was to be the loaf of home-made

bread. I had decided that, considering the small rooms of our house, I

would have to settle for feeding the students sandwiches and potato chips-

crisps in London. I arranged a large tray of sliced meats and cheeses and

another of fresh vegetables and dip. I bought several sorts of rolls and

small interesting loaves. But in the center of the table was a large loaf

of potato bread in the shape of a jack-o-lantern, complete with eyes, eye

brows, ears, nose, and mouth full of snaggly teeth. Anne was regretful that

I would not agree to make the bread orange or allow her to frost the

finished loaf with the left-over icing from the cake. But despite its

shortcomings in the eyes of the children, our pumpkin was the hit of the

evening.

      Bob and the students were late getting home from the play, and in the

interim a glass of liquid got spilled by one of the children, but it hardly

dampened the upholstery or the spirits of the party.

      The students were delighted to be in a home with children to play

with. And you would have thought I had prepared a banquet for them instead

of a simple supper. When I saw them at the theater during the early weeks

of November, they continued to talk wistfully about the fun they had had

with our family.

      As Thanksgiving drew closer, I began to realize that I was going to

have to do something about the holiday. It isn't celebrated in England, of

course, and the students were beginning to feel homesick at the prospect of

being so far away from family for the holiday. But having sixteen students

in for sandwiches and finger food on paper plates and doing a complete

Thanksgiving dinner for them were two very different things. For one, we

had six plates and about as many sets of silverware. There was almost no

counter space in the kitchen, and though the stove had four burners, the

oven was half the size of my oven at home. But it was clear that, problems

or no, Thanksgiving was going to be celebrated in memorable style in our

home that year. I asked each student to bring a plate and silverware for

each person that he or she was bringing to dinner, and I invited them all

to bring along some contribution of food.

      Meanwhile I had managed to find one of those large foil disposable

roasting pans in a local department store. Much to my relief, when I got it

home, it actually fit into my oven. I took it off to the butcher and asked

him to get me the largest turkey that would fit into the pan. He did so,

and he even agreed to keep it in his freezer for me until I was ready to

cope with it. The day before the Feast, as the children began calling that

Thanksgiving, I stopped to make sure that the butcher had moved the turkey

from the freezer into his cooler for me. He assured me that he had and that

it would be thawed for me in the morning. Relieved of that nagging worry, I

went home to get on with my preparations.

      When I went into the kitchen to begin dinner, I discovered to my

horror that the oven would not light. Here was a nightmare indeed. Luckily

the Gas Board was not about to shut down for a long holiday weekend, so

they promised that someone would be around first thing in the morning to

see about the cooker.

      My dreams were filled that night with catastrophes in which I was

trying to roast turkeys over matches. But in the morning we experienced a

whole series of miracles. First, the Gas Board man turned up early. Second,

he discovered that there was nothing seriously wrong with the stove, and he

could and did fix it immediately. The third event took a little longer to

resolve itself into a miracle. It began by looking remarkably like a

catastrophe.

      While I stayed home to deal with the stove and the other

preparations, Bob took the children with him to do the last-minute

shopping, including picking up the turkey. I was busy finishing the

stuffing when I realized that in the distance I was hearing Margy crying as

the Pierce parade drew near our house. I raced to the door to see what the

trouble was. I could hardly believe the news; the butcher had not in fact

transferred the turkey to the cooler as he had alleged; when Bob handed it

to me, it was eighteen pounds of rock-hard meat-giblets and neck firmly

tucked inside the body cavity. Though Margy was the only one actually in

tears, all three children were certain that Thanksgiving had just crash

landed in the butcher's freezer.

      There are moments when a parent has no choice but to set aside anger,

frustration, and anxiety and simply rally all available reserves in the

emergency. I dried Margy's tears and assured everybody that the day could

be saved. Then the turkey and I retired to the kitchen sink for some close

communion with warm water. It was not the correct way to defrost poultry,

but I told myself that, if I could just pry the giblets out and pack the

stuffing in quickly, I could get the bird on to roast before anything nasty

began growing in the meat.

      It worked. By late afternoon we were ready for the Feast, and the

students began to arrive, bearing an unusual collection of dishes.

Including several strays picked up by various people along the way, twenty-

three happy Americans eventually sat down to Thanksgiving dinner. In fact,

we sat down all over the house. The living and dining room floors were

covered with bodies, and six of us sat on the steps to the second story. We

had a marvelous time! The food was delicious, and the fellowship was

unforgettable. I don't even remember the clean-up.

      Everyone had so much fun that we decided to do it again the following

year when we were all back in the United States. By then many of the

students had graduated, but they returned to Oberlin for Thanksgiving and a

reunion of the London semester group. In some ways the two celebrations

were very different. There were no crises the second time around. I managed

to come up with enough dishes and silver to serve everyone without asking

people to bring their own utensils. And the clean-up was a snap with an

electric dishwasher on the job.

      But the underlying spirit from the year before was still there. The

young people were delighted to be in our home and grateful to us for

inviting them. My recollections of these happy and deeply satisfying events

are filled with remembered warmth and gratitude. They are for me, as they

would be for anyone else, the very stuff of pleasant family history.

      But there is one element of these celebrations which is uniquely

precious to me. My blindness, which to me has become nothing more than one

more of my characteristics, went virtually unregarded by the students. I

don't mean that they pretended that it wasn't there. They made an effort to

move out of my path when I came through carrying food or drink. But the

fact of my blindness was as unimportant to them as it had become to my

husband and children. I remember times like these and renew my hope that

the time will come when all blind people will know the freedom for which I

am so deeply grateful.

                                 ----------

[PHOTO CAPTION: Terry Smith]

              Merchants' BLAST Conference Soars to New Heights

                               by Terry Smith

>From the Editor: For a very long time blind merchants focused exclusively

on their state's legislation and its programs, and getting them to see the

value in unified action nationally was much like the challenge Dr. tenBroek

faced when trying to bring a small number of state organizations into the

fledgling National Federation of the Blind. One thing that has helped blind

merchants to see the value in working together nationally has been the

BLAST conference, and readers of the Braille Monitor have been offered too

little in these pages about the conference and the good it brings to our

blind men and women who run businesses under the Randolph-Sheppard Act.

Here is a report of the 2017 conference:

      One doesn't have to venture too far into the past to a day when blind

vendors were not viewed as major players in the vending industry. Blind

vendors had a tiny share of the market and were more or less tolerated by

an industry that was evolving from mom and pop operations to large

corporate businesses. Some in the industry even resented blind vendors

because of the priority they enjoyed to operate vending facilities on

government property pursuant to the Randolph-Sheppard Act.

      The blind vendors who operated under state Business Enterprise

Programs often lacked quality training, were forced to operate with

outdated equipment, had little exposure to modern advancements in the

field, and suffered due to a lack of leadership in the Randolph-Sheppard

community.

      But almost two decades ago, some visionaries in the National

Federation of the Blind set out to change that. The Merchants Division had

held small annual meetings for several years, but the leadership, the board

of directors, and the blind vendor community wanted more. The idea was to

have a national conference that would afford blind vendors the opportunity

to experience the same caliber of training as others in the industry. "We

wanted training that focused on business and leadership," says Don Morris,

a Maryland blind vendor and president of the National Federation of the

Blind's Merchant Division in the 1990's. "We didn't want to bring people

together to complain. We wanted to bring them together to learn."

      With that, the idea of the Business Leadership and Superior Training

conference, better known as BLAST, was born. Today, BLAST is one of the

most recognized names in the vending industry.

      Kevan Worley, a blind vendor from Colorado, was part of the brain

trust that created the vision for BLAST and had ascended to the presidency

of the Merchants Division by the time the first BLAST was held at Circus

Circus in Las Vegas in 2002. He echoes Morris' sentiments, stating that the

goal was to offer training in modern business, customer service, and

leadership practices. But there was another goal that was just as

important. "We felt the need to strengthen the Randolph-Sheppard Program

while building the National Federation of the Blind and using a national

conference as the catalyst," recalls Worley.

[PHOTO CAPTION: 2016 Disney Institute Representatives recognizing Nicky

Gacos]

[PHOTO CAPTION: Mark Riccobono (left) and Nicky Gacos (right) with Navy

Seal Leif Babin (center) at the 2016 Windy City BLAST Conference.]

      For the next dozen years, Worley and Nicky Gacos, a New Jersey blind

vendor who was elected president in 2005, artfully managed the evolution

and growth of the conference. A shrewd negotiator, Worley struck deals with

state agencies who were anxious to bring BLAST to their states. Tennessee

was the first state to offer financial incentives. Indiana and Texas

followed. Worley and Gacos sought sponsorships from companies that were

profiting from blind vendors and those that wanted to establish

relationships. These deals with state agencies and sponsorships guaranteed

numbers of attendees and provided a financial safety net that allowed them

to bring in the caliber of speakers they desired.

      What was the recipe used by the Worley-Gacos tandem that has led to

such success? "It starts with a high-quality trade show," explains Worley.

He turned to his friend Gacos to lead that effort. "I couldn't have done it

without Nicky," Worley says, reflecting on those early days and how far

BLAST has come. Today, the trade show is the centerpiece of the annual

conference. It features equipment manufacturers, product suppliers, service

providers, potential teaming partners, and technology companies.

      The second ingredient is quality training. BLAST brings in top tier

speakers in the areas of business, leadership, and motivation. Whether it

be a riveting keynote speech, a workshop by industry professionals, a

message from a top flight motivational speaker, or a highly informative

breakout session, attendees have grown accustomed to high quality

presenters.

      Almost as important is the opportunity to network. Blind vendors have

a lot to offer, and learning from each other is a critical ingredient to

the success of the conference.

      Next, mix in something for the state agency staff. In 2002 you could

count on your fingers the number of state agency staff in attendance. "How

could we honor the work the state agencies do and empower them to continue

that work?" Worley asked himself at the time. "We began an exclusive state

agency roundtable which was a safe place where state agency folks could go

to exchange ideas without any fear of criticism," he continued. The numbers

of state agency representatives attending BLAST began to slowly grow.

      And, for the final ingredient, stir in a splash of fun. After all,

the name of the conference is BLAST, so there is an expectation of having

some fun. BLAST broke from traditional models of blind vendor training

conferences and infused some entertainment. Lively music and other

entertainment are staples of BLAST conferences today.

      Business obligations led to Worley stepping away from his BLAST

responsibilities after the 2014 Conference. He left, knowing that he and

Gacos had created something special. But President Gacos put together a new

team and was determined to continue the momentum BLAST had established. He

knew there was still room to grow. Gacos didn't change the recipe. He just

added greater portions of each ingredient.

      There are varying estimates on how many people attended the first

BLAST in Las Vegas. It is safe to say that it was a fraction of the numbers

attracted to BLAST conferences today. In 2016 in Chicago and 2017 in

Nashville, BLAST set records with almost six hundred in attendance. The

conference has averaged over eighty exhibitors in the last two years. State

agency participation has doubled as the roundtable has expanded to become a

full day of training, with eighty-five state staff in attendance this year

in Nashville. In 2016 nationally known Navy Seal Leif Babin delivered the

keynote address, and the National Association of Blind Merchants brought in

the Disney Institute to provide a full day of its world-renowned training

on customer service. This year the Michigan State University School of

Hospitality did a half-day workshop specifically designed for those in the

vending industry. And the entertainment piece has been amplified with the

Blues Brothers rocking out in Chicago and country music impersonators

adding a taste of Nashville tradition to the 2017 conference. There have

even been comedians to make folks laugh. The recipe for success is clearly

still working.

      BLAST has evolved into the premiere training conference in the

country for all blind entrepreneurs. One vending industry insider said the

Nashville BLAST was the best conference of any kind she had ever attended.

The Vending Times Magazine recently featured the Music City BLAST on its

cover.

      In the vending industry, BLAST is synonymous with quality training.

"BLAST is a great event that brings together the entrepreneurial spirit of

blind operators from every corner of the country to provide education and

networking that strengthens their businesses and enhances their

professionalism," explains Eric Dell, senior vice president of the National

Automatic Merchandising Association (NAMA), which is the national trade

association for the vending industry. Dell is a regular presenter at BLAST.

      "I am very proud of what BLAST has become," says Nicky Gacos,

president of the National Association of Blind Merchants. "We are changing

what it means to be a blind entrepreneur by providing a quality training

and networking experience and by elevating the perception of the blind in

the larger vending industry."

      Nothing demonstrates the changing perception better than Gacos'

election to the National Automatic Merchandising Association's Board of

Directors in 2014. He is the first blind owner of a vending business to

ever serve in that capacity. "It's an honor for me," admits Gacos. "But I

represent 2,000 blind entrepreneurs, and it's important to me to change the

way the vending industry views blind people and what we have to offer." He

pauses and then adds. "It's all about raising expectations."

      Eric Dell understands the important role blind entrepreneurs play

more than anyone. "Many of the members of the National Association of Blind

Merchants are NAMA members and participate in advocacy efforts at every

level of government," he notes. "Their participation is valuable and has

assisted in creating advocacy successes for the industry at large."

      BLAST has been the driving force behind these changing perceptions

and a greater appreciation for the contributions of the blind. BLAST

originally launched as a conference for Randolph-Sheppard blind vendors,

but that is changing. "We are expanding the tent to let more people in,"

says Gacos. "We will never abandon our ties to vending and blind vendors,

but we are designing BLAST these days for any blind entrepreneur." He

encourages any current or aspiring blind business owner to attend a future

BLAST conference.

      It isn't lost on folks that this is an NFB function. "We always want

to expose attendees to the philosophy of the National Federation of the

Blind," adds Gacos. "The NFB changed my life, and I want people to see

firsthand what we are all about." The Music City BLAST in September

featured presentations by John Pari and Gabe Cazares from the national

office. First Vice President Pam Allen gave the keynote at the women's

breakfast. Second Vice President Ron Brown was on hand, and Fred Schroeder

delivered a sterling speech at the luncheon.

      So, what's next for BLAST? Plans are already underway for the Lone

Star BLAST November 13 to 16, 2018, in San Antonio. Having barely recovered

from the Music City BLAST in September, Gacos already has his sights set on

2018. "It will be our biggest and best BLAST ever," he predicts with great

confidence. In the spirit of full disclosure, he says that every year, and

every year he has been right. BLAST continues to soar to new heights.

      For more information about BLAST and the Merchants Division, go to

www.blindmerchants.org <http://www.blindmerchants.org> .

                                 ----------

[PHOTO CAPTION: Mike Bullis]

                           Why Not Hire Yourself?

                               by Mike Bullis

>From the Editor: Mike Bullis loves to help people start businesses or get

jobs and has been doing so for most of his professional life. He has owned

a motorcycle shop, several restaurants, and now works throughout the US as

a disability employment consultant.

      Frustrated with employers who won't hire you? Well, there's a

possible answer: hire yourself. In other words, go into business. No, it's

not easy, but neither is hearing no after no from employers. Yes, you have

to have a service or product to sell, and you won't be able to blame the

boss when things go wrong, but the upside is that when you make money, you

can give yourself a raise. The other upside is that you can start out small

and build your business to the level that works for you. If you need an

extra four hundred dollars a month or four thousand, it's your choice. If

health only allows you to work five hours a day, or different hours each

day, build your business around those requirements.

      You'll hear lots of stories about how start-up businesses fail.

That's usually because the person starting the business didn't learn the

basics. I failed miserably in my first retail business because I was sure

that all it took was a dream and the will to make it come true. What I

learned was that it takes understanding the basics of business. Blind folks

are lucky in this regard because there are two places where you can get

excellent free training.

      My first recommendation is the Forsythe Center for Employment and

Entrepreneurship training course sponsored by the Hadley Institute. They

have an online series of courses that will teach you everything you need to

know to start a small business, go to https://www.hadley.edu/fce.asp to

check it out. For the past two years they have held a competition for new

business ideas and awarded fifty thousand dollars in prizes. One more

upside is that the courses are free!

      My second recommendation is the Business Enterprise Program in your

state. These programs have been around since the 1930's to help blind

people learn to operate snack bars and cafeterias. No, you may not

ultimately want to operate a snack bar or cafeteria, but the training you

can get from the program will help you understand the business fundamentals

you need to know to be successful. These two programs are worth tens of

thousands of dollars in training you don't have to pay for.

      It's difficult to tell how much blindness will play a part in how you

operate your business. Some of it depends upon how much you intend to hire

other people to do and how much you will need to do yourself. Many small

business startups find that they don't have the money to hire employees, so

the burden falls to you to have practical electronic access skills through

screen enlargement or speech software. The nice thing about starting small

and doing all the work yourself is that as you grow, you'll be able to

explain the details to new people, and you won't be one of those clueless

bosses who doesn't understand. The other thing that's nice about doing it

yourself is that you can work any time, day or night, not having to wait

for a pair of eyes to show up.

      Finding solutions to blindness challenges in business shouldn't have

to be a lonely process. Whether you take the Forsythe courses or the

Business Enterprise training, meet the people who are solutions finders.

Blindness is just a problem waiting to be solved. When you meet those

solutions finders, grab on to them and steal every good idea you can.

You'll be happy you did.

Business ownership isn't for everyone. It requires discipline, and in some

ways your business can be the worst boss you ever had. It doesn't care

whether you're sick or tired. It tells you what to do, and you either do it

or you don't. On the other hand, your business will never tell you that you

shouldn't try something because you're blind. It doesn't really care about

your blindness. It will never pity you, speak in a condescending manner, or

help you find stairs that you were perfectly able to find for yourself. In

that sense, it's the ideal boss.

      I've spent twenty-five years in business. Some times were good, and

some times were bad. But, through it all, being in business can teach you

self-reliance and a personal pride of accomplishment when it works. So, if

you're frustrated by hearing all those no's from would-be employers, just

hire yourself.

                                 ----------

[PHOTO/CAPTION: Cayte Mendez]

    The Secret to Winning a National Federation of the Blind Scholarship

by Cayte Mendez

>From the Editor: Cayte Mendez is the chairperson of one of the most

important committees of the National Federation of the Blind. She and her

committee are charged with advertising our scholarship program and choosing

thirty students who demonstrate academic success, leadership, and

commitment to helping others. Here is Cayte's announcement about the 2018

scholarship program:

      Each July at the annual convention of the National Federation of the

Blind, our organization awards a broad array of scholarships to recognize

achievement by blind scholars. Our thirty scholarships, of which the

$12,000 Kenneth Jernigan Scholarship is the largest, are all substantial

and prestigious enough to inspire any student to complete a competitive

application. The NFB Scholarship Program is our investment in the future of

blind people who demonstrate scholastic aptitude, leadership, and service.

I encourage every blind college student to apply.

      What exactly is the secret to winning an NFB scholarship? Over the

years I have heard quite a bit of speculation regarding the answer to this

question. To be sure, there are some non-negotiable eligibility

requirements. All applicants for these scholarships must:

    . be legally blind

    . reside in one of our fifty states, the District of Columbia, or Puerto

      Rico

    . be pursuing or planning to pursue a full-time postsecondary course of

      study in a degree program at an accredited United States institution

      in the 2018-2019 academic year

    . participate in the entire NFB national convention and in all scheduled

      scholarship activities if chosen as a finalist

      While these are the concrete requirements, what exactly is the secret

to becoming an NFB scholarship winner?

      Many think the single key to becoming a scholarship winner is a high

grade point average. While an applicant's GPA certainly has value because

it demonstrates his/her ability to learn and be successful academically,

this is by no means the only attribute that influences the decisions of the

scholarship committee. Likewise, others believe that the secret to winning

is abundant participation in extracurricular activities. Recognizing an

applicant's willingness to take on commitments outside of school and/or

work can help the committee develop a portrait of a well-rounded

individual; however, this is also not sufficient in itself to justify a

scholarship award.

      Still others think the magic scholarship winning ingredient is an

applicant's level of commitment to the NFB. It is certainly true that the

scholarship program provides our organization with a tremendous opportunity

to develop future leaders of the National Federation of the Blind, but

scholarship awards are by no means restricted to members of the

organization. The National Federation of the Blind is dedicated to creating

opportunities for all blind people. Recipients of NFB scholarships need not

be members of the National Federation of the Blind. Many of our past

winners were not even aware of the NFB before they applied for our

scholarships.

      Finally, there are those who speculate that the committee looks for

winners among applicants from specific fields of study or specific

demographics. However, over the years, students of all ages and in widely

differing fields have become finalists. The class of 2017 included students

entering their freshman year, as well as older students who were nearly

ready to write their PhD dissertations. Past scholarship winners are

working toward credentials for employment in many diverse fields.

      So what exactly is the secret to becoming an NFB scholarship

finalist? It is just this-you must apply! Each November the new, updated

scholarship application forms are posted on the web at

www.nfb.org/scholarships <http://www.nfb.org/scholarships> , along with
important information about the

contest, links to information on past winners, and a page of frequently

asked questions. The application form for 2018 is already online. It will

remain up until March 31. The process can be initiated with an online

application, which we prefer, or students can ask for a print application

by contacting our scholarship office at scholarships at nfb.org
<mailto:scholarships at nfb.org>  or by calling

(410) 659-9314, ext. 2415.

      A complete application consists of the official application form and

a student essay, plus these supporting documents: student transcripts, one

letter of recommendation, and proof of legal blindness. The student must

also complete an interview with the president of the applicant's state of

residence or the state where he or she will be attending school. High

school seniors may also include a copy of the results of their ACT, SAT, or

other college entrance exams.

      Unfortunately, some applications are incomplete, so the committee is

unable to consider them fairly. Applicants must ensure that all of the

required information and supporting documentation has been received by our

scholarship office either online by midnight EST, March 31, or by mail

postmarked by March 31. Students should carefully consider who can do the

best job of writing their letter of reference. A letter should support the

application by being full of facts and observations that will help the

members of the committee see the applicant as a smart, active student and

citizen. Students can write their essays using word processing software.

They should remember to use the spell checker (or a human proofreader)

before uploading, printing, or copying and pasting it into the online

application form.

      In an effective essay the applicant will talk about his or her life

in a way that gives the committee insight into him or her. The essay should

cover the ways in which one lives successfully as a blind person and

describe the applicant's personal goals for the future. Information about

positions of leadership is especially helpful. Committee members give the

essay a great deal of attention.

      The NFB scholarship committee is comprised of dedicated, successful

blind people who will review all applications and select the top thirty

applicants who will become the scholarship class of 2018. Note that

students submit just one application to the program; the scholarship

committee will choose the thirty finalists from all applications received.

These thirty scholarship finalists will be notified of their selection by

telephone no later than June 1.

      Finally, during the annual convention held July 3 through July 8,

2018, in Orlando, Florida, the scholarship committee will decide which

award will be presented to each winner. Attending and participating in the

entire NFB national convention is one of the requirements to become an NFB

scholarship winner. Of course, attending the convention is also a

significant part of the prize.

      The National Federation of the Blind's national convention is the

largest gathering of blind people to occur anywhere in the world each year,

with 2,500 or more people registered. Those chosen as scholarship finalists

will have the opportunity to network with other blind students, to exchange

information and ideas, and to meet and talk with hundreds of blind people

who are successfully functioning in many occupations and professions. Our

past winners often comment that the money was quickly spent, but the

contacts they made and the information they gathered at convention have

continued to make their lives richer than they ever imagined.

      Often students apply more than one year before winning a scholarship,

so applicants are encouraged to reapply. The NFB may award three or more

scholarships to men and women who have already received one Federation

scholarship in the past if their scholarship and leadership merit another

award. Individuals receiving a second NFB national scholarship are

recognized as tenBroek Fellows.

      So now you know the secret. The key to success for the NFB

scholarship program is as straightforward as carefully reading the

application on our website and then providing all of the required

information and supporting documentation before the deadline of March 31. I

look forward to receiving your applications!

                                 ----------

[PHOTO CAPTION: John Pari]

              Social Security, SSI, and Medicare Facts for 2018

                                by John Pari

      About this time each year, we provide you with details regarding

annual adjustments in the Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI),

Supplemental Security Income (SSI), and Medicare programs. In 2018

approximately 65 million Americans will see a cost-of-living adjustment

(COLA) increase of 2 percent in their benefit amounts. Thus, come January,

monthly checks will be a few dollars higher.

      The 2018 amounts appear below along with some concepts which are

always good to know about the Social Security and Medicare programs if you

want to understand your rights. The COLA adjustment (if any) is based upon

the consumer price index (CPI-W), which measures the inflationary rate

against the wages earned by the approximately 173 million workers across

the nation over the previous four quarters starting with the third quarter

of the previous year. Okay, here are the numbers:

Tax Rates

      FICA and Self-Employment Tax Rates: If you have a job, you know that

you do not bring home everything you earn. For example, 7.65 percent of

your pay is deducted to cover your contribution to the Old Age, Survivors,

and Disability Insurance (OASDI) Trust Fund and the Medicare Hospital

Insurance (HI) Trust Fund. Specifically, 6.20 percent covers OASDI, and

1.45 percent is contributed to the HI Trust Fund. Additionally, your

employer is required to match this 7.65 percent for a total of 15.30

percent.

      For those who are self-employed, there is no "employer" to match the

7.65 percent. Thus, a self-employed individual pays the entire 15.30

percent of her income. These numbers will not change in 2018 whether an

individual is employed or self-employed. As of January 2013, individuals

with earned income of more than $200,000 ($250,000 for married couples

filing jointly) pay an additional 0.9 percent in Medicare taxes, not

including the above amounts.

Maximum Taxable Earnings

      For the OASDI Trust Fund, there is a ceiling on taxable earnings,

which was $127,200 per year in 2017 and will jump to $128,700 in 2018.

Thus, for earnings above $128,700, there is no 6.20 percent deducted for

OASDI. As for Medicare, there is no limit on taxable earnings for the HI

Trust Fund.

Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI)

Quarters of Coverage

      I always like to compare the OASDI Trust Fund to an insurance policy.

You have to pay a premium to participate. Therefore, to qualify for

Retirement, Survivors, or Disability Insurance benefits, an individual must

pay a minimum amount of FICA taxes into the OASDI Trust Fund by earning a

sufficient number of calendar quarters to become fully insured for Social

Security benefits.

      In 2017 credit for one quarter of coverage was awarded for any

individual who earned at least $1,300 during the year, which means that an

individual would have needed to earn at least $5,200 to be credited with

four quarters of coverage. In 2018 the amount increases to $1,320 for one

calendar quarter or $5,280 to earn four quarters of coverage for the year.

      A maximum of four quarters can be awarded for any calendar year, and

it makes no difference when the income is earned during that year.

Basically, the taxes you pay into the OASDI and HI Trust Funds are your

premiums to participate in the Social Security and Medicare programs.

      The total number of quarters required to be eligible for benefits

depends on the individual's age. The older the individual, the more

quarters are required. Furthermore, a higher average income during an

individual's lifetime means a higher Social Security or SSDI check when

benefits start. Remember the above quoted numbers for quarters of coverage

to become fully insured are only minimum amounts.

Trial Work Period (TWP)

      This concept is often misunderstood. The amount of earnings required

to use a trial work month is based not upon the earnings limit for blind

beneficiaries, but rather upon the national average wage index. In 2017,

the amount required to use a TWP month was only $840, and this amount will

increase to $850 in 2018.

      If you are self-employed, you can also use a trial work month if you

work more than eighty hours in your business, and this limitation will not

change unless expressly adjusted.

Substantial Gainful Activity (SGA)

      The earnings limit for a blind beneficiary in 2017 was $1,950 per

month and will rise to $1,970 in 2018. Remember this is not the TWP amount.

This is to say that the TWP can be exhausted even if your income is well

below $1,970 per month. See the above information about the TWP.

      In 2018 a blind SSDI beneficiary who earns $1,971 or more in a month

(before taxes but after subtracting unincurred business expenses for the

self-employed, subsidized income for the employed, and impairment-related

work expenses for both) will be deemed to have exceeded SGA and will likely

no longer be eligible for benefits.

Social Security Benefit Amounts

      In January of 2018, the average amount of SSDI benefits for a

disabled worker is estimated to rise by about $24 to $1,197. Pursuant to

the Social Security Act, a cost-of-living adjustment occurs automatically

when there is an increase in inflation as measured by the Consumer Price

Index for Urban Wage Earners and Clerical Workers (CPI-W). The CPI-W

indicated an inflationary rate of 2.0 percent between the third quarter of

2016 and the third quarter of 2017. Thus, there is a corresponding COLA

increase in 2018 and an increase in monthly benefit amounts.

Supplemental Security Income (SSI)

      The federal payment amount for individuals receiving SSI in 2017 was

$735 and will increase to $750 in 2018, and the federal monthly payment

amount of SSI received by couples will rise from $1,103 to $1,125.

Student Earned Income Exclusion

      In 2017 the monthly amount was $1,790 and will increase to $1,820 in

2018. The annual amount was $7,200 and will be $7,350 in 2018. The asset

limits under the SSI program will remain unchanged at $2,000 per individual

and $3,000 per couple.

ABLE Act

      Signed on December 19, 2014, the ABLE Act will have a significant

impact on resource limits associated with the SSI and Medicaid programs for

those who were blind or disabled by the age of twenty-six. Traditionally,

SSI beneficiaries have been required to adhere to strict resource limits

such as a maximum of $2,000 in the bank for an individual receiving SSI

benefits. Under the ABLE Act, however, the amount on deposit in an ABLE

Account can be much higher.

      ABLE Account contributions must be designated specifically for

purposes such as education, housing (with a cautionary warning to follow),

employment training and support, assistive technology, health, prevention

and wellness, financial management, legal fees, and funeral and burial

expenses. The required implementing regulations are being enacted in most

states. Check with your financial institution of choice for a status of

ABLE Act regulations in a specific state.

      As to the warning about ABLE Account contributions for housing, it is

important to note that SSI beneficiaries may still face the traditional

$2,000 resource limit for ABLE Account funds designated for housing. Thus,

SSI beneficiaries should consider the many other purposes not subject to

the traditional resource limits when making ABLE Account contributions.

Because there are also tax advantages associated with ABLE accounts, both

SSDI and SSI beneficiaries should consult a financial advisor about

establishing an ABLE Account.

Medicare

      At this writing, the Department of Health and Human Services has not

released updated information regarding deductibles, coinsurance amounts,

and premiums for 2018. Updated Medicare information will be provided in an

upcoming issue of the Braille Monitor. But for illustrative purposes, here

are details regarding the numbers from 2016 compared to 2017.

      Medicare Deductibles and Coinsurance: Medicare Part A coverage

provides hospital insurance to most Social Security beneficiaries. The

coinsurance amount is the hospital charge to a Medicare beneficiary for any

hospital stay. Medicare then pays the hospital charges above the

beneficiary's coinsurance amount.

      The Part A hospital inpatient deductible was $1,288 in 2016 and

increased to $1,316 in 2017. The coinsurance charged for hospital services

within a benefit period of no longer than sixty days was $0 in 2016. From

the sixty-first day through the ninetieth day, the daily coinsurance amount

was $322 per day in 2016 and rose slightly to $329 in 2017. Each Medicare

beneficiary has sixty lifetime reserve days that may be used after a ninety-

day benefit period has ended. Once used, these reserve days are no longer

available after any benefit period. The coinsurance amount paid during each

reserve day used in 2016 was $644 and in 2017 was $658.

      Part A of Medicare pays all covered charges for services in a skilled

nursing facility for the first twenty days following a three-day in-

hospital stay within a benefit period. From the twenty-first day through

the one hundredth day in a benefit period, the Part A daily coinsurance

amount for services received in a skilled nursing facility was $161 for

2016 and rose just slightly to $164.50 in 2017.

      Most Social Security beneficiaries have no monthly premium charge for

Medicare Part A coverage. Those who become ineligible for SSDI can continue

to receive Medicare Part A coverage premium-free for at least ninety-three

months after the end of a trial work period. After that time the individual

may purchase Part A coverage. The premium rate for this coverage during

2016 was $411 monthly and increased to $413 in 2017.

      The annual deductible amount for Medicare Part B (medical insurance)

in 2016 was $166 and rose to $183 in 2017. The Medicare Part B monthly

premium rate for 2016 was $121.80 per month and rose to $134 in 2017. For

those receiving Social Security benefits, this premium payment is deducted

from your monthly benefit check. Individuals who remain eligible for

Medicare but are not receiving Social Security benefits due to work

activity must directly pay the Part B premium quarterly-one payment every

three months. Like the Part A premiums mentioned above, Part B is also

available for at least ninety-three months following the trial work period,

assuming an individual wishes to have it and, when not receiving SSDI,

continues to make quarterly premium payments.

      Programs That Help with Medicare Deductibles and Premiums: Low-income

Medicare beneficiaries may qualify for assistance through four Medicare

Savings Programs. We will discuss three of them here and leave the fourth

one alone because (to qualify for it each year) you must already be on it,

and you know who you are. Note: the amounts below may change in 2018. We

begin with the Qualified Medicare Beneficiary program (QMB) and the

Specified Low-Income Medicare Beneficiary program (SLMB). To qualify for

the QMB program in 2017, an individual's monthly income could not exceed

$1,025, and a married couple's monthly income could not exceed $1,374. To

qualify for the SLMB program in 2017, an individual's monthly income could

not exceed $1,226, and a married couple's monthly income could not exceed

$1,644.

      Both the QMB and SLMB programs are administered by the Centers for

Medicare and Medicaid Services in conjunction with the states. The rules

vary from state to state, but the following can be said: As of 2017,

resources (such as bank accounts or stocks) could not exceed $7,390 for one

person or $11,090 per couple.

      Under the QMB program, states are required to pay the Medicare Part A

(Hospital Insurance) and Part B (Medical Insurance) premiums, deductibles,

and coinsurance expenses for Medicare beneficiaries who meet the program's

income and resource requirements. Under the SLMB program, states pay only

the full Medicare Part B monthly premium. Eligibility for the SLMB program

may be retroactive for up to three calendar months.

            The third program, known as the Qualified Disabled and Working

Individuals (QDWI) Program, pays Part A premiums only and has resource

limits of $4,000 for one person and $6,000 for a married couple. As to

these programs, resources are generally things you own. However, not

everything is counted. Examples of things that don't count include the

house you live in, one car, a burial plot (or $1,500 put aside for burial

expenses), and furniture.

            If you qualify for assistance under the QMB program, you will

not have to pay the following: Medicare's hospital deductible amount, the

daily coinsurance charges for extended hospital and skilled nursing

facility stays; the Medicare Part B (Medical Insurance) premium, the annual

Part B deductible; and the coinsurance for services covered by Medicare

Part B, depending on which doctor you go to (these services include doctor

services, outpatient therapy, and durable medical equipment).

      If you qualify for assistance under the SLMB program, you will be

responsible for the payment of all of the items listed above except for the

monthly Part B premium, depending on your circumstances.

      If you think you qualify but you have not filed for Medicare Part A,

contact Social Security to find out if you need to file an application.

Further information about filing for Medicare is available from your local

Social Security office or Social Security's toll-free number (800) 772-

1213.

      Remember that only your state can decide if you are eligible for help

from the QMB or SLMB program and also that the income and resource levels

listed here are general guidelines, with some states choosing greater

amounts. Therefore, if you are elderly or disabled, have low income and

very limited assets, and are a Medicare beneficiary, contact your state or

local Medicaid office (referred to in some states as the public aid office

or the public assistance office) to apply. For more information about

either program, call the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS)

on its toll-free number (800) 633-4227, or visit Medicare.gov.

                                 ----------

[PHOTO CAPTION: James Gashel]

                        The Dr. Jacob Bolotin Awards

                               by James Gashel

>From the Editor: James Gashel is secretary of the National Federation of

the Blind and chairs the Dr. Jacob Bolotin Award Committee. Here is his

announcement about the 2018 Bolotin Awards program:

      The National Federation of the Blind is pleased to announce that

applications are now being accepted for the Dr. Jacob Bolotin Awards. These

prestigious awards, granted each year as funds permit, seek to honor

initiatives, innovations, and individuals that are a positive force in the

lives of blind people and advance the ultimate goal of helping them

transform their dreams into reality. Award winners will be publicly

recognized during the 2018 annual convention of the National Federation of

the Blind in Orlando, Florida. Each recipient will be given a cash award in

an amount determined by the Dr. Jacob Bolotin Award Committee and will also

be honored with an engraved medallion and plaque.

      Dr. Jacob W. Bolotin (1888-1924) was a pioneering blind physician,

the first in history who achieved that goal despite the tremendous

challenges faced by blind people in his time. Not only did he realize his

own dream; he went on to support and inspire many others in making their

own dreams a reality. The awards which bear his name are made possible

through the generosity of his late nephew and niece. Their bequest, the

Alfred and Rosalind Perlman Trust, allows the National Federation of the

Blind to present the annual cash awards.

      As chronicled in his biography, The Blind Doctor by Rosalind Perlman,

Dr. Bolotin fought ignorance and prejudice to gain entrance to medical

school and the medical profession. He became one of the most respected

physicians in Chicago during his career, which spanned the period from 1912

until his death in 1924. He was particularly known for his expertise in

diseases of the heart and lungs. During his successful career Dr. Bolotin

used his many public speaking engagements to advocate for employment of the

blind and the full integration of the blind into society. Interested in

young people in general and blind youth in particular, Dr. Bolotin

established the first Boy Scout troop consisting entirely of blind boys and

served as its leader.

      Jacob Bolotin's wife Helen had a sister whose husband died suddenly,

leaving her to raise a son, Alfred Perlman. The Perlmans moved in with the

Bolotins when Alfred was eleven, and for four years (until Jacob Bolotin's

untimely death at age thirty-six), "Uncle Jake" became Alfred's surrogate

father. Alfred later married Rosalind, and the couple worked on a book

about Dr. Bolotin's life. After Alfred's death in 2001, Rosalind dedicated

the rest of her life to completing and publishing the book. Then, upon her

death and as part of her will, Rosalind left a bequest to the Santa Barbara

Foundation and the National Federation of the Blind to produce Dr.

Bolotin's biography and establish the Dr. Jacob Bolotin Award program. Her

book, The Blind Doctor: The Jacob Bolotin Story, has been published by and

is available from Blue Point Books, www.BluePointBooks.com.

Past award winners have:

1. Broken down a barrier facing blind people in an innovative way.

2. Changed negative perceptions of blindness and blind people.

3. Pushed past existing boundaries to inspire blind people to achieve new

heights.

Award Description

      In 2018 the National Federation of the Blind will again recognize

individuals and organizations that have distinguished themselves in

accordance with the criteria established to receive a Dr. Jacob Bolotin

Award. The committee will determine both the number of awards and the value

of each cash award presented. The Federation determines the total amount to

be distributed each year based on income received from the trust supporting

the award program. The award categories for each year are blind

individuals, sighted individuals, and organizations, corporations, or other

entities. Individuals may apply on their own behalf or may submit a third-

party nomination, or the committee may also consider other individual or

organizational candidates.

Who Should Apply?

      Individuals: Only individuals over eighteen years of age may be

considered for a Dr. Jacob Bolotin Award. Applicants must demonstrate that

they have shown substantial initiative and leadership in improving the

lives of the blind. Examples of such initiative include but are not limited

to developing products, technologies, or techniques that increase the

independence of the blind; directing quality programs or agencies for the

blind; or mentoring other blind people. All individual applicants or third-

party applicants nominating other individuals must demonstrate that the

work to be recognized has been conducted within the twelve months preceding

the application and/or that the work is continuing. Applications by or on

behalf of individuals must include at least one letter of recommendation

from a person familiar with or directly affected by the work to be

recognized.

      Organizations: Organizations may apply for a Dr. Jacob Bolotin Award

in order to further programs, services, technology, or techniques of unique

and outstanding merit that have assisted and will continue to assist the

blind. Applications from third parties nominating an organization will also

be considered. The organization category includes corporations, nonprofit

organizations, or other entities, such as a specific division within an

organization. Organizations or third-party applicants must demonstrate that

the programs or services to be recognized include substantial participation

by blind people as developers, mentors, administrators, or executives, and

not merely as clients, consumers, or beneficiaries. For example, an

organization operating a program for blind youth might demonstrate that a

substantial number of the counselors, teachers, or mentors involved in the

program are blind. The organization or third-party applicant must

demonstrate that it has substantially aided blind people within the twelve

months prior to application and that an award would support efforts to

build on previous successes. The application must also include at least one

testimonial from a blind person who has benefited substantially from the

programs or services.

      To qualify for an award both individuals and organizations must be

headquartered in the United States of America, and their work must

primarily benefit the blind of the United States.

Procedures

      More information, including an online application, can be found on

the National Federation of the Blind website at

https://www.nfb.org/bolotin.

      Online submission of nominations, letters of support, and other

relevant materials is strongly encouraged, but applications sent by mail

and postmarked by the deadline will also be accepted. The 2018 deadline for

application submission is April 15. Recipients chosen by the committee will

be individually notified of their selection no later than May 15. Receipt

of all complete applications will be acknowledged; only those applicants

chosen to receive an award will be contacted by May 15. All decisions of

the Dr. Jacob Bolotin Award Committee are final.

      The awards will be presented in July during the annual convention of

the National Federation of the Blind. Individuals selected to receive an

award must appear in person, not send a representative. Organizations may

send an individual representative, preferably their chief executive

officer. Recipient candidates must confirm in writing that they will appear

in person to accept the award at the National Federation of the Blind

annual convention. Failure to confirm attendance for the award presentation

by June 1 will result in forfeiture of the award.

Ineligible Persons

      Those employed full-time by the National Federation of the Blind may

not apply for a Dr. Jacob Bolotin Award for work performed within the scope

of their employment. Students may not apply for both a Dr. Jacob Bolotin

Award and a National Federation of the Blind Scholarship in the same year.

                                 ----------

     National Federation of the Blind and Automakers Host Conference on

       the Promise of Autonomous Vehicles and the Disability Community

>From the Editor: Transportation has always been at the top of the list when

it comes to problems blind people want solved. The loss of the ability to

drive is one of the problems that newly-blinded people grieve most, and it

is the American rite of passage that has been denied to those who have been

blind since birth. In most places in America, easily engaging in many

social activities is predicated on the idea that one can come and go at

will. With all of the options we have, from busses to cabs to Uber, there

are times when the places we live lack these crucial services, and only

when we too have control over a vehicle will we experience what drivers

take for granted. Here is a press release discussing the role of the

National Federation of the Blind in hosting a conference focusing on

autonomous vehicles, one that involved major stakeholders, and one which

will shape the self-driving vehicle we will soon see on America's streets

and highways:

            Diverse Group of Attendees Focus on Accessibility of

                    Autonomous Vehicles for the Disabled

Baltimore, MD (October 26, 2017): Yesterday the National Federation of the

Blind (NFB) and the Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers ("Auto Alliance")

hosted a conference titled "The Promise: Autonomous Vehicles and the

Disability Community." The event was hosted at NFB's Jernigan Institute in

Baltimore, Maryland.

      The conference brought together representatives from government, the

automotive industry, and advocates for the disabled to discuss the

advances, challenges, and path forward for autonomous vehicle development.

      "Historically, accessibility has been a costly post-purchase vehicle

modification for most people with disabilities, and nonexistent for the

blind," said Mark Riccobono, President of the National Federation of the

Blind. "The National Federation of the Blind was therefore pleased to co-

host this first-of-its-kind gathering of disabled consumers, automotive

industry representatives, ride-sharing providers, and policymakers, laying

the groundwork for accessibility to be included in the development of

promising new vehicle technologies rather than as an afterthought.

Discussion between industry and disabled consumers has already had a

positive impact on the Senate's AV START legislation, and our continued

work together will pave the way for autonomous vehicles to become tools

that will truly enhance independence and opportunity for the blind and

other disabled travelers."

      "Automakers have been developing self-driving technologies for years.

We are motivated by the tremendous potential for enhanced safety for

everyone and the opportunity to provide greater mobility freedom to people

with disabilities and the elderly," said Mitch Bainwol, president and CEO

of the auto alliance. "Given the enormity of the social benefits, we are

anxious to work with stakeholders and government leaders to develop the

policy framework to realize these benefits as soon as we can."

      The conference was a key step in the ongoing conversation about how

autonomous vehicles can be developed and deployed safely, while considering

the needs of those 57 million Americans with disabilities. Autonomous

vehicles offer disabled Americans opportunities for increased mobility and

independence, as well as reliable transportation that could vastly increase

employment opportunities. The National Federation of the Blind and Auto

Alliance urge Congress, the Administration, and original equipment

manufacturers alike to consider the needs of the disabled as they continue

to develop the laws, regulations, and technology that will bring autonomous

vehicles to the masses.

      The day's speakers included representatives of the disability

community (including the National Association of the Deaf, National

Federation of the Blind, Paralyzed Veterans of America, American

Association of People with Disabilities, United Spinal Association,

American Council of the Blind, and National Down Syndrome Society); the

automotive industry (including General Motors, Audi of America, Daimler

North America, and Volvo Car Group); government (including representatives

from the office of Senator Gary Peters, D-Mich., the US Department of

Labor, and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration) and other

stakeholders (including representatives from Uber and Securing America's

Future Energy).

                                 -----------

[PHOTO CAPTION: Edward Bell]

                  The 2018 Blind Educator of the Year Award

                               by Edward Bell

>From the Editor: Dr. Edward Bell is an experienced educator in his own

right. He was named Blind Educator of the Year in 2008. He chairs the 2018

Blind Educator of the Year Award Selection Committee. This is what he says:

      A number of years ago the Blind Educator of the Year Award was

established by the National Organization of Blind Educators (the educators

division of the National Federation of the Blind) to pay tribute to a blind

teacher whose exceptional classroom performance, notable community service,

and uncommon commitment to the NFB merit national recognition. Beginning

with the 1991 presentation, this award became an honor bestowed by our

entire movement. The change reflects our recognition of the importance of

good teaching and the affect an outstanding blind teacher has on students,

faculty, community, and all blind Americans.

      This award is presented in the spirit of the outstanding educators

who founded and have continued to nurture the National Federation of the

Blind and who, by example, have imparted knowledge of our strengths to us

and raised our expectations. We have learned from Dr. Jacobus tenBroek, Dr.

Kenneth Jernigan, and Immediate Past President Marc Maurer that a teacher

not only provides a student with information but also provides guidance,

advocacy, and love. The recipient of the Blind Educator of the Year Award

must exhibit all of these traits and must advance the cause of blind people

in the spirit and philosophy of the National Federation of the Blind.

      The Blind Educator of the Year Award is presented at the annual

convention of the National Federation of the Blind. Honorees must be

present to receive an appropriately inscribed plaque and a check for

$1,000.

      Nominations should be sent to Dr. Edward Bell, director, PDRIB, by

email at ebell at latech.edu, or by mail to PDRIB, Louisiana Tech University,

PO Box 3158, Ruston, LA 71272. Letters of nomination must be accompanied by

a copy of the nominee's current risumi and supporting documentation of

community and Federation activity. All nomination materials must be in the

hands of the committee chairman by May 1, 2018, to be considered for this

year's award. For further information contact Edward Bell at (318) 257-

4554, or ebell at latech.edu.

                                 ----------

[PHOTO CAPTION: Kyle Walls]

          Confrontation at the Capitol: The Fight to Stop H.R. 620

                                by Kyle Walls

>From the Editor: Kyle Walls works as a program assistant for advocacy and

policy at the Jernigan Institute. He is a fantastic communicator, knows how

to write, and does so with passion and conviction. He is supervised by John

Pari, and anyone who works for John can't help but feel the passion,

conviction, and outrage he feels when the blind are placed at a

disadvantage. Here is Kyle's article, and let us use it to recommit

ourselves to stopping the passage of this bill:

      On a beautiful October afternoon in Washington, DC, members of the

Asian American Hotel Owners Association (AAHOA) arrived at the western

steps of the Capitol to take a group photo in celebration of their annual

Fall Advocacy Conference. However, they were met by a group of about thirty

National Federation of the Blind members from all across the Washington

metropolitan area. With their white canes proudly displayed, the NFB

members stood defiantly facing west across the National Mall in the exact

spot where AAHOA typically takes its photo.

      Seemingly wanting to avoid a direct confrontation, the AAHOA

photographer prompted the approximately one hundred association members to

move to another set of stairs a little farther away, but still with the

Capitol building as the backdrop. Like a field general mobilizing troops,

John Pari moved our members en masse to a spot right behind them. If the

photographer was going to get the Capitol dome in the picture, we would be

in the photo as well. We made it clear that we were there for a reason and

that we refused to be ignored. These events eventually lead to a direct

engagement between John and Chirag K. Shah, AAHOA's vice president of

government affairs and counsel, on the Capitol steps.

      It may seem unusual for the NFB to engage a group with such specific

focus as the Asian American Hotel Owners Association, but as it turns out,

AAHOA is one of the leading proponents of H.R. 620. As you probably already

know, H.R. 620, the ADA Education and Reform Act of 2017, is a bill that we

have vehemently opposed since its introduction to the House floor in late

January. If passed, H.R. 620 will allow alleged ADA violators sixty days to

respond to a notice of violation with a proposed plan to remove the access

barrier. Following this response, the business in violation will then have

an additional 120 days to remove the barrier or to make "substantial

progress" in the removal of the barrier. When added together and expanded

to the maximum allowable time, these response and compliance periods total

approximately six months.

      Naturally this approach creates a number of problems for people with

disabilities. First and foremost, allowing for a six-month delay in the

removal of an access barrier that has been in violation of federal law for

nearly three decades is outrageous and more than a little insulting.

Businesses that existed prior to the passage of the ADA should have

remedied these violations long ago, and for those that were constructed

after the passage of the ADA, there is no excuse for the inclusion of

access barriers at all. Additionally, if H.R. 620 is passed into law, it

will provide no incentive for business, new or old, to become ADA

compliant. If there is no swift and immediate consequence for violation,

what reason would a business have to become compliant? Realistically, they

have no incentive to obey the law until they are found to be in violation

of it. This opens the door for businesses to knowingly violate the

accessibility mandates of the ADA, a standard of American law for twenty-

seven years, until they receive a complaint. In no way is this an

appropriate mechanism to mete out justice.

      Another aspect of this bill that creates severe cause for concern is

the introduction of the standard of "substantial progress." The bill states

that the owner or operator of a business will only face the threat of civil

action if they fail to "remove the barrier or to make substantial progress

in removing the barrier," but does not include a definition by which

substantial progress can be measured. If a hotel were to post Braille room

number labels for two of the ten floors in the building following a

complaint, would the "substantial progress" standard be fulfilled? Would

this hotel then be free from the threat of civil action until someone else

complained that the other eight floors weren't labeled in Braille? This is

an extreme example, but it is certainly not outside the realm of

possibility for a statute so vague.

      Finally, there is no guarantee this bill will stop overly-aggressive

attorneys looking for a quick payout, its intended purpose according to

supporters. If an attorney sets the settlement amount at less than the cost

to remedy the violation, what would stop a business owner from just paying

the settlement amount? In that case, the business is still inaccessible,

the business owner has still paid the settlement, and the unprincipled

attorney has still received money.

      The fact that unscrupulous individuals have found a way to pervert and

exploit the intentions of the Americans with Disabilities Act is a sad and

sickening revelation. However, weakening and eroding the protections set

forth in this landmark legislation will only increase the number of

barriers that people with disabilities face every single day.

      We hear and understand the concerns of business owners and operators,

and we are more than happy to work with them to find a genuine solution to

the problem. But if they continue down this path in support of this

dangerous bill, we will continue to show, just as we did on the steps of

the Capitol, that we will not be stopped, we will not be ignored, and we

are not going away.

                                 ----------

[PHOTO CAPTION: Susan Povinelli]

            The Blind Can Participate in Worship and Bible Study

                             by Susan Povinelli

>From the Editor: Susan Povinelli and her husband Larry are members of Lamb

of God in Madison, Alabama. Her article was originally published in the

church's special ministries publication His Hands on May 5, 2017, and can

be found in its online version here: https://wels.net/the-blind-can-

participate-in-worship-and-bible-study/. Many blind people struggle with

the way to be active in the parts of their church service that involve

reading: Bible verses, hymns, and leading in readings to the congregation.

Some of us have felt the discomfort that comes from being passive, but

others have been more proactive and have found ways to participate fully.

Here is just such an example:

      As a sighted child I can remember flipping through The Lutheran

Hymnal during church. As my eyesight began to deteriorate during my college

years, I had to find other ways to read the hymnal and devotional

materials. For many years I received meditations and sermons on cassettes

produced by the volunteers of our WELS Mission to the Visually Impaired

(MVI).

      But studying the Bible using a cassette tape was extremely difficult

because you could not easily jump between books, chapters, and verses. Then

I began using a device called the Victor Reader Stream. This device allows

me to quickly and efficiently move between Bible books, chapters, and

verses. For details on the Victor Reader Stream, please visit

humanware.com.

      Today I am able to download countless Bible applications to my

iPhone. The iPhone is completely accessible to a blind person because of

its VoiceOver feature, which allows a blind person to translate printed

words into speech. Our own Northwestern Publishing House is e-publishing

most of its books, such as the People's Bible series, and they can be

bought at the Kindle store. In addition, I am able to read Forward in

Christ and other periodicals through the wels.net website or using the WELS

app. For the price of a subscription, I am able to enjoy daily devotions

through the Meditations app. A free option is to sign up for daily email

devotions at wels.net/subscribe.

      Most worship materials are also accessible using my iPhone. Since our

worship folders and the majority of our pastor's Bible studies are

available electronically, he sends me these materials via email. I can

access them through my iPhone by connecting a Braille display or listen

audibly through a headphone. This enables me to participate fully in

worship and Bible study.

      Finally, there are many scanning applications that can take a picture

of a printed page and convert it into different formats, such as PDF, Word,

Text, etc. This software will read the converted page on your smart phone.

The number one application, which was developed by the blind, for the

blind, is the KNFB Reader Application. Go to knfbreader.com for more

information.

      As the population ages and their vision decreases, congregations

should accommodate all visually impaired people so that they can fully

participate in worship and Bible study. For those who have some vision and

don't read Braille, Northwestern Publishing House has Christian Worship: A

Lutheran Hymnal available in large print. In addition, your church

secretary can print out a few worship folders in a large font (fourteen-

point or greater).

      With modern technology, which is not difficult to learn, and pastors

willing to work with visually impaired congregants, there is no reason why

a blind person cannot participate fully in worship or Bible study. As

technology improves, blind people will have more and more information

readily available to them.

      To God be the glory for such advancements!

                                 ----------

[PHOTO CAPTION: Jessica Beecham (right) teaches cardio drumming to an NFB

member.]

      Running to Catch the Elusive Dream of Fitness and Accomplishment

                             by Jessica Beecham

>From the Editor: Jessica Beecham is a highly motivated, intelligent, and

committed member of the National Federation of the Blind who is expanding

the possibilities for all of us by her athletic endeavors and her

willingness to share the way she has achieved what many of us have written

off as impossible-significant athletic competition. Here is a speech she

gave at the 2017 Convention of the National Federation of the Blind of

Colorado. In transcribing it I was moved emotionally--not only by what she

did, but by the courage and inventiveness she employed in reaching her

ambitious goals. I am not likely to do the runs she highlights here, but I

am uplifted by knowing that it can be done by a blind person. Here is what

she says:

      Arthur C. Clarke said that "The limits of the possible can only be

defined by going beyond them into the impossible." Although Kevin Kovacs

says that "The most important Arnold Schwarzenegger quote is, 'I'll be

back.' Arnold also said that "In our society, women who break down barriers

are those who ignore limits." T.S. Eliot said that "Only those who are

willing to go too far can possibly find out how far one can go."

      The National Federation of the Blind believes that with love, hope,

and determination, we transform dreams into reality. For seventy-eight

years the National Federation of the Blind has boldly broken down barriers

and defied expectations to show the world that there is no limit to the

capacity of blind people.

      Our organization is full of leaders who have never been afraid to

break down barriers. Dr. Marc Maurer often tells the story of the time that

he taught Fred Schroeder to use a chainsaw. Dr. Schroeder was a little

nervous at the beginning of the lesson, but he knew that Dr. Maurer was a

very capable teacher. After the lesson was over Dr. Schroeder could

successfully use a chainsaw, and no human limbs were lost in the process.

Dr. Maurer confessed that before teaching Dr. Schroeder, he himself had

never before used a chainsaw.

      President Mark Riccobono was hired to develop educational programs

for the Jernigan Institute. Dr. Maurer tasked him with the chore of

developing a science camp for blind youth. When newly hired Mark Riccobono

asked, "So, what is the plan?" Dr. Maurer responded, "Well, isn't that what

I hired you for?"

      Remember that in the early 2000's science programs for blind people

were very limited. President Riccobono's willingness to blaze new trails

has allowed many of the youth who've participated in those first science

programs to go on and blaze trails in STEM careers-notably Jordan Caster,

one of the first Youth Slam participants who is now a software developer at

Apple. Just a little side note: President Riccobono also went on to become

the first blind person to drive a car independently on the Daytona

Speedway.

      Our very own Diane McGeorge saw that the rehabilitation services

being offered by most state agencies just wasn't cutting it, so she founded

the Colorado Center for the Blind. Thanks to Diane, Joyce Scanlan, the

founder of BLIND Inc., and Joanne Wilson, founder of the Louisiana Center

for the Blind, (three phenomenal women) the Federation has transformed the

face of blindness rehabilitation. When we are surrounded by all of these

great leaders and heroes, it is easy to see that we as blind people

determine our own futures and that we also have the obligation to set a

high bar for those who will follow in our footsteps.

      As president of the National Federation of the Blind Sports and

Recreation Division, I am honored to know blind people who have completed

pretty amazing adventures. Erik Weihenmayer became the first blind person

to summit Mount Everest, a dangerous and daunting feet. Although thousands

attempt it each year, only a handful of skilled climbers actually reach the

summit. Jason Romero ran across the United States in less than two months.

Only three hundred people have crossed the United States on foot. His

speedy crossing puts him among the fastest of those to complete this epic

journey. This month Erich Manser set the world visually impaired Ironman

record by completing a 2.4 mile swim, a 112 mile bike ride, and a 26.2 mile

run in ten hours and forty-two minutes. Amy Dixon became the first blind

female to complete an XTERRA triathlon, which is an open water swim

followed by a very technical trail, bike, and run. Rhonda-Marie Avery is

the first blind woman to compete in the Barkley Marathons, in fact the

first blind person ever to compete in this marathon. The Barkley Marathons

is the toughest foot race in the world, and it has only been completed by

sixteen people. If you've never heard of this grueling and quirky race,

check out episode thirty-seven of Find Your Fit, or watch the documentary

about the Barkley Marathons on Netflix. It is truly a race like none other.

Bettina Dolinsek is the first blind CrossFit instructor, and Maureen

Nietfeld is the first Zumba instructor. Let's give it up for all those

blind people who blaze those trails so that we can live the lives we want.

      Everyone in this room has the opportunity to be a trailblazer. Isn't

that what the National Federation of the Blind is all about? I mean, Jim

Gashel has just blown it out of the park this morning showing us how, over

the past fifty years, we've done nothing but blaze trails. We've blazed

trails so that blind students can have access to STEM curriculum, so that

parents who are blind can raise their children without question. We blaze

trails so that future generations will not have to experience the same

discrimination that we have when looking for employment or getting

accessible technology.

      Recently I have taken my running off road to try a little

trailblazing. In 2016 I became the first blind person to complete the

Pike's Peak Marathon, a round trip up and down Pike's Peak Mountain. My

blind friend Luanne Burke was along for the journey and was the first blind

person to complete the Pike's Peak Assent, a trip all the way up Pike's

Peak Mountain, a race all the way up. This summer I tried my hand at my

first fifty-mile race, the Pike's Peak Ultra, one of the ten toughest foot

races in the United States, featuring over 11,000 feet of elevation gain

and loss going up and down Pike's Peak one-and-a-half times over very

technical terrain.

      Today I want to share a few of the lessons I have learned while

trailblazing: every trailblazer needs a solid team. When I found the

National Federation of the Blind, I found a group of people who believed in

me more than I believed in myself. This was not because they knew me; most

of them didn't. But they believed in the abilities and the dreams of all

blind people. A solid team provides a sound support structure for our

success.

      In the months leading up to the Pike's Peak Ultra, the National

Federation of the Blind, Colorado Center for the Blind, and countless

friends and family displayed their belief in me by supporting my WE Fit

Fifty fundraising campaign to raise money for WE Fit Wellness, a cause very

near and dear to my heart. Because of my team we were able to raise over

$8,000 for the continued work of WE Fit Wellness.

      Leading up to the Pike's Peak Ultra, my travel schedule was grueling,

beginning with national convention and ending the day before the race with

my flight back from the 2017 Youth Slam program. My WE Fit Wellness team

made sure everything was in place so that all I had to worry about when I

got home was taking a nap, or so I thought. They actually had found time to

come up with a really fun surprise. The guy in the video I am about to show

is my dad: [Jessica's father was there to meet her at the airport, and when

she entered the car to take her home, he knocked on the window and in a

high-pitched voice asked, "Excuse me, ma'am. May I share this Huber with

you?" The video reveals Jessica screaming with excitement, surprise, and

pleasure. The convention applauded.] The video can be found at

https://youtu.be/NEeC3p6vxZg8.

      On race day the WE Fit Wellness team and my Achilles Pike's Peak team

went above and beyond to ensure they were at every aid station to make sure

that I would have the nutrition and supplies I needed to finish the race.

This included standing outside in the pouring rain, offloading on trails

that were probably not meant for vehicles, and putting up with my emotional

ups and downs that inevitably come with an ultramarathon. Without my entire

team I wouldn't have been able to make it to the starting line let alone to

the finish.

      Do things that scare you. One of the best ways to grow as a person or

an advocate is to do those things that are a little scary. Think back to

the first time that you crossed a busy intersection independently or the

first time you sat down with a member of Congress to advocate for a cause

that was important for blind people. When we do these things that are scary

day after day, they become second nature, and they expand our horizons. One

of my scariest runs came on Easter Sunday. I was exploring a new part of

the Pike's Peak Fifty course. It started out okay; we were in this part of

the trail called Seven Bridges. It was a little technical, but it was fine.

And then it wasn't. I was having to scramble over big rocks; I was running

over narrow trails that had slick drop-offs on either side, and the whole

time I was crying very quietly behind my guide because I didn't want her to

know how scared I was. I didn't know how this scary thing was ever going to

become second nature, and I went home feeling like I was never going to be

able to complete the race. But, after months of training, I was able to

develop some alternative techniques that helped me get through the race

easier. In the following video you will see some of the alternative

techniques I used for trail running, and my favorite thing about this video

is that it was actually taken on the same part of the Pike's Peak Ultra

course as my very frightening Easter Sunday run. [The second video can be

found at https://youtu.be/Lm-6crZYYhI.]

      Now as you could see from that video, I gained a little bit in

confidence, but it ain't all flowers. Sometimes you're going to find

thorns. On race day it rained on and off all day. When I got to my course

nemesis, Mount Rosa, there was thunder and lightning, and the course was

rerouted because of the lightning. Rosa was a big, bad, beast; she was

tall, she was slick, and I never ran on her without falling three or four

times. But I practiced and practiced, and every time I ran Mount Rosa, I

got a little faster, and I was ready to own her on race day. I was a little

heartbroken when I had to skip that part of the course, but that didn't

diminish my feeling of success when I crossed the finish line, and it

didn't change anything about the accomplishment I felt after running fifty-

one miles. [applause]

      The little bumps in the road, the pitfalls, and even the defeats that

we experience help us to savor our successes-being consistent and

persistent. The little things that we have to do are not always as glorious

as putting on the big conventions, but if we don't do the little things,

then we can't have the big conventions or win the big victories. So selling

the raffle tickets and making phone call after phone call to invite members

to meetings oftentimes feels cumbersome, but it is the tedious and

inglorious tasks that we do over and over that build our strong foundation

for success.

      One of my toughest running weeks came at the national convention when

I had to run up countless flights of stairs to get to the treadmill. My

longest day was a twenty-four-mile treadmill run and an hour running up and

down the stairs. [At this point Jessica shows a video of her longest

training day, it can be found at https://youtu.be/7I6sl1GuhSo] It is doing

those tedious things over and over again that yields the best results.

Savor your success, celebrate your success, but before the celebration

dies, don't forget to start planning your next big adventure. This is a

lesson I have learned repeatedly from the leaders of the National

Federation of the Blind, and it's one that I hold very near and dear to my

heart. When I'm done with a race or achieve any other personal victory,

I'll cry a few happy tears, share some war stories, raise a toast with

friends, but before the celebration dies down, I'll begin planning my next

big adventure.

      As we gain energy through sharing time, ideas, and dreams with one

another this weekend, celebrate the successes of the National Federation of

the Blind of Colorado. As Scott LaBarre just reported, they have been many,

but before you leave, don't forget to start planning your next big

adventure. Let's go blaze some trails!

                                 ----------

[PHOTO CAPTION: Marina Bedny]

     The Power of the Mind: Research Exploring the Capacity of the Blind

                               by Marina Bedny

>From the Editor: We have heard a lot of speculation about how learning

takes place and how the minds of blind people adapt. Some have speculated

that what is known as the visual cortex dies when it fails to be stimulated

by visual information. Other studies have suggested there is nothing

special about this part of the brain and that it takes on other functions.

Still others have suggested that not only does it take on other functions

but that these are functions similar to what it was intended to do had

vision been present, namely shape recognition that is so crucial in

reading.

      At the 2017 National Convention we were addressed by Marina Bedny.

She is an assistant professor at Johns Hopkins University and a

neuroscientist who is actively looking at the brains of blind people.

Here's what she has to say:

      Good morning-getting to the afternoon. I am very honored to be here

today to talk with you. It's quite an act to follow: I don't know what's

worse-following the honorable congresswoman or Anil Lewis. But I'm going to

take you down to the world of scientific nerdiness. So for all you self-

proclaimed nerds out there, let me hear you; I'm going to need your

support. [cheers]

      Thank you for that introduction. My name is Marina Bedny, and I'm a

professor at Johns Hopkins University in the department of psychological

and brain sciences. My time is split between two things: some of my time I

spend teaching undergraduate students at Johns Hopkins University and grad

students; that's about a quarter of my time. The rest of my time I run a

research lab. I run a lab called the Neuroplasticity and Development Lab.

My lab is interested in questions about nature and nurture, where does the

human mind come from, and in particular how does our experience in the

world shape the way our brains work and shape the way our minds work and

shape who we are? So that's the question we're interested in. It's a very,

very old question. It's been of interest to philosophers and psychologists

and humans for thousands of years. But we're pretty lucky to be living at a

time when science and technology allow us to study this question using

neuroscience and psychology. So we can use scientific methods and

techniques like functional magnetic resonance imaging and quantitative

measures of behavior to study the mind and brain. That is what my lab does,

and I'll tell you a little bit about that as we go along.

      My lab specifically applies these methods to study the question of

how life experience shapes our minds and brains. We base these studies on

the fact that we believe in order to understand who we are, we have to pay

attention not to the differences among us, but that we can learn about who

and what humans are by looking at the breadth of experience. There used to

be this idea in science-or there used to be this idea, sometimes still is-

that you can learn everything that you need to learn about people and how

their minds work by studying white, ivy-league-college student males,

right? Does that sound like the right idea of the way to do science?

[chorus of no's] Right. So there's a problem with that. Because in reality,

of course, there is no such thing as the generic person, right? Because the

inherent part of being a person is the differences between us: some of us

grew up on a farm, some of us grew up in the city, some of us grew up with

lots of siblings, some of us grew up alone. My family immigrated to this

country from Ukraine when I was eleven years old, and I believe that that's

part of what shaped the kind of person I am. Some of us live with vision,

some of us live without. And part of understanding what it means to be a

human is understanding all the ways in which humans live: blind, sighted,

immigrants, women, men: all the diversity that exists.

      So that is what my lab does. We work with individuals with different

developmental histories and different experiences to understand how the

mind and brain works. Some of the methods that we use I mentioned; one is

functional magnetic resonance imaging (I'll tell you about that in a bit),

and some is behavior. Today one of the things that I'd like to do is to

share with you some of the discoveries that scientists have made over the

past-I would say decade-about blindness and about cognition and brain

function in blind individuals. I am very honored to be here and grateful to

be invited. I think it's important for the scientific community to be

engaged with the blind community so that science is done better and the

science delivers to the blind community and the blind community has a say

in how to interpret scientific findings. [applause] Thank you.

      Today I'm going to talk to you about three things quickly: some

things that stay the same in blindness and cognition, some things that

improve, and some cool things that the brain does in individuals who are

blind. The first thing I'm going to start with, which might sound like it's

the least exciting thing, which is what stays the same in blindness. But I

actually think that this is a really important topic. Over the years

psychologists and philosophers have had some very confused and extreme

ideas about what the mind is like in blind individuals. And we have

scientific methods to dispel these kinds of ideas and to find out what some

of the things that actually stay the same are, so probably it will not come

as a surprise to you that people who are blind know what the words "peek,

stare, yellow, sparkle" mean. I regret to say that this comes as a surprise

to some segments of the scientific community, and we've been able to use

cognitive and neuroscientific methods to show that what sometimes people

refer to as "visual concepts" are actually known very well by people who

are born blind.

      Perhaps more importantly, one of the things that we've studied is

numerical cognition and mathematical reasoning in individuals who are

blind. There's sometimes this idea in the educational field that

mathematics is particularly challenging for children who are blind. Well,

one of the things that we did is we studied numerical understanding in

blind individuals, both how blind people estimate number when you present

them with tones and you ask them, "How many tones did you just hear?"

That's a basic kind of numerical ability that actually ends up being

important for mathematic learning early on. We also measured mathematical

behavior, and one of the things that we find is that the cognitive building

blocks and the tools of math are exactly the same in people who are blind

and sighted. Unfortunately what is different is access to math education.

One of the things that we found when we asked blind people is that blind

children in high school get shuttled out of math courses. I'm sure that

this is not news to anyone, but one of the things that this research is

showing is that there is absolutely no excuse for blind children not to be

achieving the same way as sighted children in math and science. [applause]

      Another thing that we've been studying is some things that improve,

some things that get better with blindness. So scientists have been

interested in this question for a long time; it often comes up in the

context of "Do blind people hear better? Do blind people have better

sensory perception?" And the answer to this question is, of course, very

complicated. There are some things that blind people get better at with

practice, and some don't change at all. One of my favorite examples of this

is tactile perception. It turns out that proficient Braille readers are

better at tactile perception with their fingers [applause] but this varies;

the more proficient at Braille reading they are, the better they are at

this skill, and it is specific to their Braille-reading hand and their

Braille-reading finger. So they're no better-for example-at somatosensation

on their lips, they're just better with their Braille-reading finger.

      It turns out that there are other things that blind people are better

at that are not actually sensory. Our recent research shows that blind

people are actually better at understanding sentences that have complex

grammatical constructions, and I'll talk to you a little bit about why that

might be in a second, but we can do a little bit of an experiment right

now. I'm going to tell you a sentence, and then I'm going to ask you a

question about it, and I want you to shout out yes or no, ok? Here we go:

while the old cat licked the puppy with floppy ears chased after the

squeaky toy. Was the cat licking the puppy? Shout it out. Yes? Okay, so

this is a very hard question. The answer is actually no. Some of you

probably got it; some of you didn't. It turns out that on average, it kind

of leads you down the wrong path. But on average blind people are much

better at answering these kinds of questions-obviously blind people are

just as different from each other as sighted people are, so there's lots of

variation among blind people-but on average blind people are better.

      Another interesting thing that turns out to be the case is that blind

people are better at remembering lists of words and letters-actually almost

twice as good as sighted people are-and they're particularly better at

remembering the order of words in a list and the order of the letters. So

it seems like being blind actually improves your memory. Why this is is not

clear. One potential reason is that you just have to practice more, right?

When you go to the restaurant and when there is no Braille menu available,

what do you have to do? You have to remember what was on the menu, whereas

the sighted person sitting next to you can just glance back at it. So

here's some of the ways the mind changes and adapts in blindness.

      One of the interesting things that my lab does is actually study

brain function. People change as their environment and their lives change,

and our brain changes too. So one of the main things that my lab does is

study the function of the so-called visual cortex in blind individuals.

This is the part of the brain that in the sighted does vision, and about

thirty years ago if you'd asked a neurologist or neuroscientist what

happens to this part of the brain in a blind person, they'd say it does

nothing or maybe it atrophies, right? No. What research has shown is that

the visual part of the brain takes on new functions in blind individuals:

it responds to sound, it responds to touch. One of the things that my lab

has been working on that I think is pretty exciting is showing that the

visual part of the brain in blind individuals is actually involved in

higher-level cognitive functions. So one of the things we find is that

blind individuals use this so-called visual part of the brain during

language processing-for example, when understanding those complex sentences

I told you about before-use it during memory tasks, and when solving math

equations. So this part of the brain is being used like a flexible machine

to do other things when it's not doing vision. Anil Lewis talked about the

power of technology, well the best technology we've got is our brains, and

it turns out that everybody's brains adapt to being the best for their life

and can be used in flexible ways.

      So in conclusion, I'd like to say that I hope my being here is part

of a broader dialog between the scientific community and the blind

community. In particular it's important for the blind community to be aware

and in charge of the scientific insights that are available and also to

give back and give their insights for making science better. One of the

things that I would love to see more of-it's already getting there, but I

would like to see more of it-is leaders in the scientific fields who are

blind. [applause] Students who are coming to work in our lab becoming the

next generation of blind scientists, because the only way that science is

going to reflect all the right things about people is if everyone

participates in science and becomes leaders in the field. Thank you.

[applause]

                                 ----------

[PHOTO CAPTION: Lily and David House]

            Preparing His Granddaughter for A Life Without Sight

                                by Jon Tevlin

>From the Editor: This article first appeared in the Star Tribune on June

27, 2017, and is reprinted with its kind permission. David House is sixty

years old and totally blind, having had retinitis pigmentosa his whole

life. He is a retired commercial real estate broker and has been happily

married for more than thirty-three years to his lovely and loving wife

Theresa. The Kernel Book Like Cats and Dogs contains a story about their

family by his wife titled, "A Wife's Story." David joined the NFB in 1993

and is active in his church. He has four adult children and two beautiful

grandchildren. One of those grandchildren is eight-year-old Lily, who is in

third grade at Valley Christian School in Missoula, Montana. Along with her

general education classes, she takes Braille three times a week and uses

her talking computer at school. Her afterschool activities include weekly

gymnastics and piano lessons, swim team practice at the YMCA, and earning a

blue belt in Tae Kwon Do. Lily was diagnosed with retinitis pigmentosa at

age five and has been learning blindness skills ever since. Here is the

story of a grandfather helping his granddaughter to get a solid footing in

the blindness skills she'll need because of their shared condition:

      David House brought his 8-year-old granddaughter, Lily, to Minnesota

this month for a three-week stay. She got to visit the Mall of America and

a petting zoo, and on Tuesday she even got to play softball with some new

friends. It was a chance for the two to bond and, more important, a chance

for David to help teach his granddaughter how to be blind.

      Lily is attending the Buddy Summer Program at BLIND Inc., housed in

the former Pillsbury mansion in Minneapolis' Whittier neighborhood. Blind

or sight-impaired kids come from all over the country to work on both the

practical and emotional aspects of being blind.

      David, fifty-nine, learned he had retinitis pigmentosa, a

degenerative disease, when he was five years old. The disease is inherited,

but the gene is recessive, so both parents have to have the gene in order

for their children to have the disease. David's wife does not have the

gene, and none of their four children has the disease. David and his three

sisters, however, all have the disease, which is rare.

      "When Lily was young, I was certain she didn't have it," said David.

"It was a long shot. When it was diagnosed, I was pretty shocked and

depressed. Lily is at the onset stage, so I wanted to get her here as soon

as possible to start to deal with being blind. [BLIND Inc.] is one of the

top places in the country." The agency let Lily into the program even

though she's a year younger than its youngest participants, mostly because

her grandfather also came to take adult refresher courses.

      In an upstairs room Tuesday, Lily was learning to use a talking

typewriter to craft sentences. She wore a Pokimon T-shirt and, at times, a

blindfold. Students who can still partly see wear blindfolds to get them

used to not being able to see at all. Lily took commands from the computer,

successfully writing out, "I ate a fish salad."

      It wasn't easy. "Agh, that tortured me," Lily said. "Get me away."

      Another student, Charles, stopped by to visit. He had just taken the

"travel class," learning to get around the neighborhood with a cane. He

named all the adjacent streets and their direction from the building. I

asked him how he knew the difference between north and south. "You go

outside and face the building," said Charles. "That's north. Never Eat

Soggy Worms-north, east, south, west," he said, pointing to each direction.

      In the afternoons, the kids have "talk times" where they can discuss

their frustrations, uncomfortable situations and strategies to overcoming

life as a blind person. They also take field trips and engage in activities

such as rock climbing and horseback riding. "My favorite was actually the

Nickelodeon Universe at Mall of America," Lily said.

      David was downstairs, working on his computer skills. "She's probably

better at computer skills than I am," he said. "I'm better at Braille. Just

wait until you see me in the fire juggling class."

      It's that persistence, humor, and positive outlook that he hopes to

pass on to his granddaughter this week and from now on. Lily lives with her

grandfather part time in Missoula, Montana.

      Despite losing his sight over a number of years, David graduated from

San Diego State University with a degree in public administration. He got

married and had children and built a very successful business, running

cafeteria vending machines.

      "My goal is I just want her to have her skills exceed her blindness,"

David said. "I have to get her prepared for a life without sight. My goal

is to have her take over my business someday." Back home, Lily is on a swim

team, is on her way to a black belt in karate and takes piano lessons. "I

don't want her to have a different life just because she's blind," David

said. "Even as busy as my business is, I thought it was important to be

here with her."

      Lily wanted her grandfather to go on the MOA field trip with her. He

said if she'd let him skip the field trip, he'd take her someplace special.

"She outfoxed me," said David. "After she went to the mall on Saturday, I

asked her where she wanted to go that was special. She said, 'Back to the

mall.'"

      "I want to teach her that nothing is insurmountable," David said.

"With the blindness itself, if you have the right psychological and

emotional attitude, you can conquer anything."

                                 ----------

[PHOTO CAPTION: Melissa Riccobono]

         Teachers Talk: Working with Parents Who Happen to Be Blind

                            by Melissa Riccobono

      One of the most rewarding things I do on behalf of the National

Federation of the Blind is to help in leading our Blind Parent Initiative.

The National Federation of the Blind has created a website,

http://www.blindparents.org which we hope will be the place all parents who

are blind will go when they are looking for information on any aspect of

parenting as a blind person. If you have not done so already, please check

out this site. It has little content right now, but we want to build it

into so much more! To do this, we need your help and feedback. Included on

the blindparents.org website are bonus episodes three and four of The

Nations' Blind Podcast. In these episodes, I once again interviewed Serena

Harris and Laura Koler, a first grade and pre-k teacher at Patterson Park

Public Charter School in Baltimore. In these interviews we discussed the

techniques Laura and Serena use in order to communicate with all parents to

insure they are able to be active participants in their children's

education. We also discuss what techniques these teachers use in order to

meet the needs of parents who happen to be blind-President Riccobono and

myself. Parents who are blind can and should be active participants in

their children's education. This is absolutely possible with a little

forethought, some teacher cooperation, and low and high tech solutions.

      I have structured this article a bit differently than my last

interview article. In this article, I tried to capture some of the

conversational back and forth that took place between the teachers and me

in the actual interview, especially the conversations surrounding the

various apps the teachers use to disseminate information. Again, I have

added some words in brackets for clarification, and I have also paraphrased

in some instances to save space. To listen to these interviews in their

entirety, search for bonus episodes three and four of the Nations' Blind

Podcast.

      Melissa Riccobono: What techniques do you use in order to communicate

with the parents of all students in your class?

      Serena Harris: I use ClassDojo, http://www.classdojo.com, which is an

app to send class messages and pictures.

      Melissa Riccobono: I was pleasantly surprised. There are some apps

that are great, but not great for a blind person to use. So, when I got the

note that said you were going to use ClassDojo, I thought, oh, this could

be excellent, or this could be a nightmare. I think there was a little bump

in the road as far as actually signing up; there was a button that wasn't

labeled correctly. But once I was signed up and signed in, it's been

wonderful. It's been really nice to get the messages and pictures.

      Serena Harris: I also use email a lot. We have a class website where

we try to list current events and a copy of the homework for the week. I

give out my phone number to parents as well.

      Melissa Riccobono: The first grade team also uses something called

Permission Click, http://www.permissionclick.com. This has been really

helpful. It's the first time as a blind mom that I have been able to read

and sign a permission slip [in the same way as all of the other parents.] I

have gotten permission slips emailed to me before, and the school has been

great about letting me sign them electronically, but Permission Click has

just been such a seamless process. I think it helps [you and your team] as

well, right?

      Serena Harris: I love Permission Click because it's less paper. We

give the same link out to all first grade families, so it's very easy to

get accurate counts for the number of students attending each field trip.

It's also an easy thing [for a parent] to complete even the day of the

trip. Everything's easily accessible [even when we are on the trip], and we

keep track of emergency contacts, allergies, etc. for each child.

      Laura Koler: In general, I send notes home in folders that are on

paper. We send updates, permission slips, newsletters... Usually every day

there is something that needs to be looked at or signed. I also use an app

called Remind, http://www.remind.com. It's a free app that lets teachers

send text messages, photos, and announcements to anyone in your class. I

really love that tool because it allows me to communicate with parents

without giving out a personal phone number. It lets me send updates about

field trips, special dress up days, report cards, etc. So I do both paper

messaging and electronic messaging.

      Melissa Riccobono: The remind app was actually very easy [for me as a

blind parent] to set up and use. It has been wonderful to get reminders as

text messages on my phone.

      What things have you done in order to make sure Mark and I, as

parents who happen to be blind, have access to information?

      Serena Harris: I have definitely tried to have the office send home

things, [such as progress reports and report cards] electronically to you.

      Melissa Riccobono: The office is still working on that, but thank you

for trying! I appreciate that.

      Serena Harris: I send spelling words home [via email.]

      Melissa Riccobono: Another thing you have done is allowed me to

report on what homework activities Oriana completes via email instead of

insisting that I fill out the paper homework log sheet each week. This has

been a very easy solution for both of us, and it proves that sometimes

solutions that are not complicated are very workable for both the parent

and the teacher.

      Laura Koler: I email you copies of all of the papers I send home in

folders every day. It's really not an extra step for me because I already

have the majority of the documents electronically. With email being as

widespread as it is, no parent should feel as if it is a burden on a

teacher to send an email [with information or documents.] And, if [a

teacher] ever forgets to email something, please don't feel bad about

reminding him or her that you need the information. Most teachers will not

be upset about getting a reminder.

      Melissa Riccobono: The other thing that you do really well is to send

emails letting me know what papers are coming home in Elizabeth's folder

that you do not have access to electronically. This is extremely helpful

because it lets me know to be on the lookout for these things so I can

handle them in another way [have a person read them to me, use an app on my

phone to read them, etc.] I think in some ways having this constant

communication is an advantage to me as a blind parent. I feel as if I have

a connection with all of the teachers my kids have had because I have had

to communicate with all of them in a slightly more personal way in order to

make sure Mark and I are getting all of the information we need to be as

involved as we can in our children's education.

      What advice would you have for parents who are blind? Are there

things these parents can do to help teachers communicate with them?

      Serena Harris: Parents should definitely let the teacher know the

best way to contact them-email or phone-and the best times they can be

reached [via phone.]

      Laura Koler: At the beginning of the year, schedule a conference and

talk about the best ways to communicate.

      Melissa Riccobono: Are there other ways parents who are blind might

be able to get involved in their children's classrooms, understanding, of

course, that this will vary slightly school to school?

      Serena Harris: I always encourage parents to come and volunteer in

their kid's classroom. Parents might sit and read with a group of students

or have students read to them. I know one thing I have been excited about,

both when Austin was in my class and now this year that Oriana is in my

class, is the fact that you have been very open about speaking to the kids

about being blind. This helped establish a relationship between you and me,

but, more important, it helped increase the children's understanding of

blindness. Kids are curious. They have questions. They might never have met

anyone who is blind before. Explaining what being blind means and the tools

you use is great to increase their understanding, but it was also great for

me since I didn't know anyone who was blind before either. Your visit

definitely made things more comfortable.

      Laura Koler: I think coming in to be a guest reader is a great way to

meet the other students in the classroom. Kids love to have other people

besides their teacher read to them. [My class] was fascinated watching you

read Braille. I think it's a great way for them to meet new people and see

another way of reading. I think most teachers are open to having parents

come in to their classroom to share unique things the students would not be

exposed to ordinarily.

       Melissa Riccobono: I think there are instances when parents who are

blind are worried about creating extra work for teachers or worried about

asking too much of teachers who might already be over worked. How would you

respond to these types of concerns?

      Serena Harris: I guess I don't think of anything as being extra work

because it's establishing that relationship that will help support the

student. I feel that any materials that can be sent home to further explain

something or give the parent a better understanding of how their child is

doing in class [will only be beneficial for both the parent and child.]

That's what teachers should do. I create progress reports [and other

materials] for all of the kids in my class, so getting these things to you

and Mark is not extra work. But even if it was, my first priority is always

what's in the best interest of the child, and if a parent needs more

resources or information to better support their child, then I'm just happy

to do that.

      Laura Koler: Part of the territory of being an early childhood

teacher is having constant communication with parents. The parents of all

the kids I teach want to know what's going on [in the classroom] and how

their children are learning. I don't think any parent should feel bad about

wanting to be in communication. I love when parents want to talk back and

forth because it's the teacher, the school, and the home who are working

together to help each child grow and learn. None of us can do this alone;

we have to be a team. I think being in constant communication only makes

that relationship stronger and will only benefit the child. To be very

honest, I would rather have a parent who wanted to talk with me every day

than a parent who is very difficult to reach.

      Melissa Riccobono: Do you have any advice for other classroom

teachers who are working with parents who are blind?

      Serena Harris: I would say, ask. Ask the parent, "What can I do to

better support you? What can I do to help you better support your child?

What kind of information do you need from me, and what would be the best

format to give you that information?"

      Melissa Riccobono: It's not bad to ask. How else are you going to

know? I think sometimes teachers might be worried about asking because they

want to be politically correct. [So they wonder] do I ask? Do I not? I

think it's always better to ask, as long as you are asking in a respectful

way. I think it is definitely up to the parent as well. Parents should feel

free to reach out to the teachers. I recognize however, that although I am

very comfortable with this type of reaching out, other parents who are

blind might not be as comfortable, so teachers need to open the lines of

communication as well.

      Laura Koler: Always talk to the parents. I know you and I had a very

long parent teacher conference, and that was great. That's when I learned

the most. If we could have had that meeting more toward the beginning of

the year, that would have been helpful.

      Melissa Riccobono: What would you say to a parent who is blind about

what to do when a teacher forgets to give necessary information? Should the

parent "bother" the teacher to get what he or she needs?

      Serena Harris: Definitely! Things happen. You set reminders and make

lists, but things still happen. Teachers forget things or overlook things.

      Melissa Riccobono: Is there anything else about working with parents

who are blind that you would like to share?

      Serena Harris: I think it is very important to have a conversation

about how the child is doing in class and how the child feels about coming

to school. A child might tell his or her parents things he or she is scared

to tell the teacher-not because the teacher is mean and scary, but because

the child is simply more comfortable communicating with a parent. I think

it is important for teachers to make sure the child is getting all of the

support needed and that things are not slipping through the cracks simply

because a parent is blind and might not have seen a paper come home in a

folder.

Closing Thoughts

      Obviously these are very caring teachers who are extremely willing to

provide information and support to all of the families with whom they work.

Communication with teachers goes a very long way, but it only works if a

teacher is reachable and willing to engage in this type of back and forth

communication. Not all teachers are as willing to do this. If you have

stories about how you have had success getting information from more

difficult teachers, I would love to receive them. Or, if you have other

techniques you use to get involved in your child's classroom, learn what is

going on in the classroom, or get information from the school about your

child's progress, I would love for you to share them. As parents who are

blind, we all need as many tools in our toolbox as possible, and what you

have to share might very well help someone else. Please email me at

parenting at nfb.org with your own school experiences. Also, if you are having

a difficult time communicating with your child's teacher or school, the

National Federation of the Blind would be pleased to help you if we can.

Please email me at the address above, or call me at (410) 659-9314,

extension 2466. I will certainly not have all of the answers, but the

National Federation of the Blind is a fantastic network, and I will be

pleased to connect you with other parents who can help you navigate

educational waters.

                                 ----------

                                Story of Ele

                               by Naomi Mills

>From the Editor: Naomi Mills is a nine-year-old Northern Virginia BELL

student. She created and Brailled this story herself. Naomi's mother sent

this story to share Naomi's creativity and enjoyment of the BELL Program,

and her note to Nancy Yeager follows the story. We have refrained from

editing to preserve the authenticity of the piece:

      Far away across the Atlantic Ocean in Africa an elephant was born.

Her name was Ele. At the age of five she complained about her eyes. Her

mother suggested resting for a little bit.

      The next day Ele's eyes hurt even more than yesterday. Finally her

mother took her to the doctor. The doctor said that Ele has to go to an eye

doctor. It was a couple of hours until they got there. The eye doctor said

that Ele has an eye disease that could worsen. Ele was sad. Ele's birthday

is January 25 and it is January 24. So Ele's birthday is tomorrow.

      It was Ele's birthday and one of her presents were glasses! Ele was

so excited. She wore them everywhere. She even wore them in bed. Only her

family knew that Ele was blind.

      When she showed up to school all her friends were shocked. They were

all confused. Even the teacher was confused. Ele didn't care though.

Description of Ele

      An elephant named Ele. She is blind. She uses a guide dog that is

always scared of Ele's trunk. Ele has pink ears and a pointy nose, so

pointy that to people it's like a knife. Ele lives in Africa with her

mother, father and her brother named Jason. Ele's favorite color is yellow.

Her body is plain yellow. She has blue eyes. She loves to wear just one

color.

      Her hobbies are cooking with her mom, looking at her cell phone, and

playing with Jason. Ele is thirty-five years old. Ele wishes she could see

but the ophthalmologist said that there is no cure for her disease. But she

kind of likes being blind. She can do many things that her friends can't

do, like learn Braille and other stuff. Ele is so happy that she's a part

of this world.

      The End

Miss Nancy,

      I typed it the way Naomi read it. I did not add punctuation, nor

change verb agreements. I really like this story. It reminds me of Naomi.

      She loved BELL this year, and two years ago. We would love it if

Arlington can do one next year, too! We would go!!!

      Thank you, Nancy. You are a sweet blessing!

Kathie Mills

                                 ----------

                              Make a Difference

                        by Patti Chang and Anna Adler

      We know that the NFB changes lives. We know that we foster high

expectations. Recently the mom of a blind student sent a thank you note to

us which we believe tells the story of just how much impact NFB can have on

an individual family. We hope that stories like hers and many others will

inspire people to support our efforts to turn dreams into reality. Here is

what Angela Rask said about our Illinois Braille Enrichment for Literacy

and Learning Academy:

Dear BELL Supporters,

      Please allow me a moment to express my sincere gratitude as a mom for

your ongoing support of the BELL program. My son, Isaac, age eleven,

attended the BELL program this year for his second time. He was so excited

to do it and looked forward to it from the moment he was accepted. There

are many things that Isaac and I value about this program. From Isaac's

perspective, it gives him a chance to hang out with peers who are blind/VI

and also experiencing the same challenges/situations. This provides him

with support, knowing that he is not alone as a blind young person trying

to make his way in the world. He is excited to go every day. He really

enjoys learning and practicing his skills that grow his independence. He

loves the field trips they take where they learn valuable life skills and

have fun while they do it. This year, a highlight was going kayaking. He

was so excited, and it went beyond his high expectations in fun! He came

home happy and proud of himself!

      He also likes having time with adult mentors. This encourages him

with what is possible for him in his future. This year he came home and

told me about an adult mentor who had a guide dog with her. Before this, he

has always been adamantly against having a guide dog someday, but after

interacting with this adult and her dog, he came home feeling different and

like it was a possible option for him in the future. Now, whether or not he

someday uses a guide dog is up to him, but what he came away with was the

model of a blind adult who had found her preferred and successful ways of

living independently-another great example for him.

      Isaac also enjoyed the wide range of ages in the other

students...being around the younger students reminded him of how far he has

come, and the older students gave him excitement for his future. Although

our car ride to and from BELL was sometimes close to 1.5-2 hours each way,

Isaac never wavered in his excitement, and in fact, told me many, many

times "Thanks Mom for taking me to BELL." I am so thankful for what the

BELL program gives to him.

      From my perspective, BELL gives Isaac a much-needed opportunity to

grow in confidence and acceptance of himself as a blind person. As he has

gotten older, he has really struggled with his identity as a blind person.

He really does not like to feel "different" from his peers, very normal for

any 5th grader, but even more complicated when there is something such as

blindness. Isaac is mainstreamed into his school, so this opportunity to be

around other blind kids (and adults) where blindness is normalized is

priceless. It gives him a much-needed break from feeling "different." It

gives him equal playing ground to make friends and have fun and learn. He

never feels like he is missing out on any part of the experience when he is

at BELL because it is tailored FOR the blind student. The rest of his year,

he is in a sighted environment and continually faces challenges and other

people underestimating, judging, or sometimes dismissing him. At BELL, he

doesn't have to fight those daily battles, and it is like he can really

"exhale" for a few weeks and just enjoy life instead of constantly having

to prove himself.

      Isaac has struggled to see future possibilities for himself as a

blind person-as someone who can have independence and meaningful work. He

knows he is smart, but he struggles to believe that his blindness will not

prevent him from having a great life. The chance for him to know older

students and adults who are living full and meaningful lives is critical

and something that sighted people (even the best-intentioned parents)

cannot give him. He needs that real-life example with flesh on-not just a

mom or dad or teacher telling him what is possible. The BELL program

provides this.

      The BELL program is essential in showing Isaac that he CAN be

independent-when they work on simple life skills such as grocery shopping

and preparing food/cleaning up, to the more adventurous skills such as how

to use public transportation in a big city like Chicago. They don't just

talk about it-they DO it, and this shows him he is capable. As a parent, I

can do my best to show him how to do these things, but the professionals

and mentors at BELL know the best techniques for all these tasks and take

him beyond what I as a parent can do.

      During the school year, Isaac receives a certain number of hours per

week of specialized training on Braille and VI technology and O&M. These

are wonderful and necessary; however, the immersive 2-week experience for

Isaac is an important time of concentrated training and growth that cannot

happen during the school year. He can solely focus on his blindness

training skills, which lead to a deeper learning experience and also

greater confidence.

      Finally, the BELL program is not only critical for the students, but

also important to their families as well. As a sighted parent, I do all

that I can to educate and equip myself so I can equip Isaac well. But I can

never put myself fully in his shoes. At BELL, he gets this from his blind

peers and mentors. This proves to him-and to me as his parent-what is

possible. I can be the best mom I can be, but I am not a VI professional

such as the staff at BELL...they can equip Isaac in ways that I cannot, and

I cannot overstate the importance of this. It gives us insight and renewed

motivation as parents to continue working hard at independence so that

Isaac will someday be ready to go to college, find work he enjoys, and

build a life for himself. We as parents also need BELL so we can be

reminded once again of all the possibilities for our blind children.

      The BELL program is a very important part of Isaac's growth. It moves

him beyond limitations that are placed on him by others and sometimes

himself. It shows him new possibilities and opens up new dreams and goals

for him. Isaac has a lot to offer the world, and the BELL program is an

important part of Isaac seeing and believing that truth for himself AND

learning how to make it possible!

      Thank you, BELL supporters and the BELL team, for investing in our

kids!

Sincerely,

Angela & Isaac Raske

      Want to help families like Angela's? You can make a difference.

      With a $50 donation, the National Federation of the Blind can send a

long white cane-free of charge-to a blind person and give back mobility.

With the same amount the Federation can provide early literacy materials to

families including a book with both Braille and print which empowers

parents to help their blind child get an early start to Braille literacy.

With a larger donation we can train our Braille Enrichment for Literacy and

Learning Academy teachers, show blind youngsters that they can do science

too, and so much more. Be a part of this future and everything the

Federation does with love, hope, and determination.

We can't change lives without you. Please help by making an end-of-year

gift-and it's easy to do. You can mail a donation or give online at

https://nfb.org/donate.

To mail your donation, simply make out your check to the National

Federation of the Blind, and send it to 200 East Wells Street at Jernigan

Place, Attention: Outreach, Baltimore, MD 21230.

      To give online visit our web page, https://nfb.org/donate2017.

We all know that the Federation affects blind people's lives every day.

Please be a part of our movement with an end-of-year donation. It will be

sincerely appreciated.

                                 ----------

[PHOTO CAPTION: Allen Harris]

              The Kenneth Jernigan Convention Scholarship Fund

                               by Allen Harris

>From the Editor: Allen Harris is the chairman of the Kenneth Jernigan Fund

Committee and was one of the people who came up with the idea of honoring

our former president and longtime leader by establishing a program to

promote attendance at the national convention, where so much inspiration

and learning occur. Here is Allen's announcement about the 2018 Kenneth

Jernigan Convention Scholarship Fund Program:

      Have you always wanted to attend an NFB annual convention but have

not done so because of the lack of funds? The Kenneth Jernigan Convention

Scholarship Fund invites you to make an application for a scholarship

grant. Perhaps this July you too can be in the Rosen Shingle Creek Hotel in

Orlando, Florida, enjoying the many pleasures and learning opportunities at

the largest and most important yearly convention of blind people in the

world.

      The three biggest ticket items you need to cover when attending an

NFB national convention are the roundtrip transportation, the hotel room

for a week, and the food (which tends to be higher priced than at home). We

attempt to award additional funds to families, but, whether a family or an

individual is granted a scholarship, this fund can only help; it won't pay

all the costs. Last year most of the sixty grants were in the range of $400

to $500 per individual.

      We recommend that you find an NFB member as your personal convention

mentor, someone who has been to many national conventions and is able to

share money-saving tips with you and tips on navigating the extensive

agenda in the big hotel. Your mentor will help you get the most out of the

amazing experience that is convention week.

Who is eligible?

      Active NFB members, blind or sighted, who have not yet attended an

NFB national convention because of lack of funding are eligible to apply.

How do I apply for funding assistance?

   1. You write a letter giving your contact information, and your local NFB

      information, your specific amount requested, and then explain why this

      is a good investment for the NFB. The points to cover are listed

      below.

   2. You contact your state president in person or by phone to request his

      or her help in obtaining funding. Be sure to tell the president when

      to expect your request letter by email, and mention the deadline.

   3. You (or a friend) send your letter by email to your state president.

      He or she must add a president's recommendation and then email both

      letters directly to the Kenneth Jernigan Convention Scholarship Fund

      Committee. Your president must forward the two letters no later than

      April 15, 2018.

Your letter to Chairperson Allen Harris must cover these points:

    . Your full name and all your telephone numbers-label them-cell phone,

      home, office, other person (if any);

    . Your mailing address and, if you have one, your email address;

    . Your state affiliate and state president; your chapter and chapter

      president, if you attend a chapter;

    . Your personal convention mentor, and provide that person's phone

      number;

    . Your specific request, and explain how much money you need from this

      fund to make this trip possible for you. We suggest you consult with

      other members to make a rough budget for yourself.

The body of your letter should answer these questions:

      How do you currently participate in the Federation? Why do you want

to attend a national convention? What would you receive; what can you share

or give? You can include in your letter to the committee any special

circumstances you hope they will take into consideration.

When will I be notified that I am a winner?

      If you are chosen to receive this scholarship, you will receive a

letter with convention details that should answer most of your questions.

The committee makes every effort to notify scholarship winners by May 15,

but you must do several things before that to be prepared to attend if you

are chosen:

   1. Make your own hotel reservation. If something prevents you from

      attending, you can cancel the reservation. (Yes, you may arrange for

      roommates of your own to reduce the cost.)

   2. Register online for the entire convention, including the banquet, by

      May 31.

   3. Find someone in your chapter or affiliate who has been to many

      conventions and can answer your questions as a friend and advisor.

   4. If you do not hear from the committee by May 15, then you did not win

      a grant this year.

How will I receive my convention scholarship?

      At convention you will be given a debit card or credit card loaded

with the amount of your award. The times and locations to pick up your card

will be listed in the letter we send you. The committee is not able to

provide funds before the convention, so work with your chapter and state

affiliate to assist you by obtaining an agreement to advance funds if you

win a scholarship and to pay your treasury back after you receive your

debit or credit card.

      What if I have more questions? For additional information email the

chairman, Allen Harris, at kjscholarships at nfb.org or call his Baltimore,

Maryland, office at (410) 659-9314, extension 2415.

      Above all, please use this opportunity to attend your first

convention on the national level and join several thousand active

Federationists in the most important meeting of the blind in the world. We

hope to see you in Orlando.

                                 ----------

[PHOTO CAPTION: Carla McQuillan]

           The 2018 Distinguished Educator of Blind Students Award

                             by Carla McQuillan

>From the Editor: Carla McQuillan is the president of the National

Federation of the Blind of Oregon, a member of the national board of

directors, and the owner and executive director of Main Street Montessori

Association, operating two Montessori schools. She is the chairman of the

Distinguished Educator of Blind Students Award Committee, and she has

written this announcement seeking applications for the 2018 award:

      The National Federation of the Blind will recognize an outstanding

teacher of blind students at our 2018 annual convention, July 3 through

July 8, in Orlando, Florida. The winner of this award will receive the

following:

    . An expense-paid trip to attend the convention

    . A check for $1,000

    . A commemorative plaque

    . A place on the agenda of the annual meeting of the National

      Organization of Parents of Blind Children to make a presentation

      regarding the education of blind children, and

    . The opportunity to attend seminars and workshops that address the

      current state of education of blind students, as well as a chance to

      meet and network with hundreds of blind individuals, teachers,

      parents, and other professionals in the field.

      The education of blind children is one of the National Federation of

the Blind's highest priorities. We are committed to offering and supporting

programs that enhance educational opportunities for this group. Please help

us recognize dedicated and innovative teachers who provide quality

education and meaningful experiences and opportunities for their blind

students.

Q: Who is eligible for this award?

A: Anyone who is currently a teacher, counselor, or the administrator of

programs for blind students.

Q: Does an applicant have to be a member of the National Federation of the

Blind?