[NFBNJ] NJ Veterans Tax Info

joe ruffalo nfbnj1 at verizon.net
Wed Jan 17 22:12:25 UTC 2018

Greetings to all!
Please     review and share with others.

nfbnj1 at verizon.net

Veterans New Jersey Tax Info

Q. I was informed by my Army buddies that New Jersey will be reducing my
property tax by $3,000 because of my veteran status. Is there any truth to
this? As I am already receiving a $250 deduction, will I have to re-apply to
receive the larger benefit or will it happen automatically? -- Vet A. Your
buddies are right that you may qualify for $3,000 in savings on your 2017
tax return. As part of the legislation that raised the New Jersey gas tax,
honorably discharged veterans are eligible to receive a $3,000 exemption
effective with the filing of 2017 income tax returns, said Claudia Mott, a
certified financial planner with Epona Financial Solutions in Basking Ridge.
This new benefit isn't a property tax deduction, but an offset against
earned income and can be combined with any other exemptions you are entitled
to claim, Mott said. "The statue defines a veteran as one who has been
'honorably discharged or released under honorable circumstances from active
duty in the Armed Forces of the United States, a reserve component thereof,
or the National Guard of New Jersey in a federal status,'" she said. "The
$250 property tax deduction remains available to those veterans who are New
Jersey residents and own a home. According to the N.J. Division of Taxation
website, your eligibility will need to be certified in order to claim the
exemption. You can get the Veteran Income Tax Exemption Submission Form on
the state's website. Then you'll also need documentation your DD-214,
Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, which shows you were
honorably discharged, Mott said. These documents can be submitted with a
secure document upload, via mail or fax. "The Division of Taxation will
provide a letter confirming your eligibility once your documents are
verified," Mott said. "The letter and DD-214 can accompany your tax return
when it is filed. Also be aware that there will be a box or oval on the
state return which must be completed to claim the exemption. "In the event
you don't go through the certification process in advance, you may submit
the Veterans Exemption Submission form and a copy of your discharge papers
when you file your New Jersey state return and your eligibility will be
evaluated at that time," Mott said. Email your questions to
Ask at NJMoneyHelp.com . Karin Price Mueller writes the Bamboozled column for
NJ Advance Media and is the founder of NJMoneyHelp.com. Follow NJMoneyHelp
on Twitter @NJMoneyHelp. Find NJMoneyHelp on Facebook. Sign up for
NJMoneyHelp.com's weekly e-newsletter.