[NFBNJ] NFB: [Brl-monitor] The Braille Monitor, March 2018

Brian Mackey bmackey88 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 02:34:10 UTC 2018

>From the desk of NFBNJ President Joe Ruffalo.

Received from Brian Burrow, NFB of California.

                               BRAILLE MONITOR

Vol. 61, No. 3   March 2018

                             Gary Wunder, Editor

      Distributed by email, in inkprint, in Braille, and on USB flash

drive, by the

      NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND

      Mark Riccobono, President

      telephone: (410) 659-9314

      email address: nfb at nfb.org <mailto:nfb at nfb.org>

      website address: http://www.nfb.org

      NFBnet.org: http://www.nfbnet.org

      NFB-NEWSLINE. information: (866) 504-7300

       Like us on Facebook: Facebook.com/nationalfederationoftheblind

                      Follow us on Twitter: @NFB_Voice

            Watch and share our videos: YouTube.com/NationsBlind

Letters to the President, address changes, subscription requests, and

orders for NFB literature should be sent to the national office. Articles

for the Monitor and letters to the editor may also be sent to the national

office or may be emailed to gwunder at nfb.org <mailto:gwunder at nfb.org> .

Monitor subscriptions cost the Federation  about  forty  dollars  per  year.

Members  are  invited,  and  nonmembers  are   requested,   to   cover   the

subscription cost. Donations should be made payable to  National  Federation

of the Blind and sent to:

      National Federation of the Blind

      200 East Wells Street at Jernigan Place

      Baltimore, Maryland 21230-4998

    THE NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND KNOWS THAT BLINDNESS IS NOT THE

   CHARACTERISTIC THAT DEFINES YOU OR YOUR FUTURE. EVERY DAY WE RAISE THE

   EXPECTATIONS OF BLIND PEOPLE, BECAUSE LOW EXPECTATIONS CREATE OBSTACLES

    BETWEEN BLIND PEOPLE AND OUR DREAMS. YOU CAN LIVE THE LIFE YOU WANT;

BLINDNESS IS NOT WHAT HOLDS YOU BACK. THE NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND

IS NOT AN ORGANIZATION SPEAKING FOR THE BLIND-IT IS THE BLIND SPEAKING FOR

                                 OURSELVES.

ISSN 0006-8829

) 2018 by the National Federation of the Blind

      Each issue is recorded on a thumb drive (also called a memory stick

or USB flash drive). You can read this audio edition using a computer or a

National Library Service digital player. The NLS machine has two slots-the

familiar book-cartridge slot just above the retractable carrying handle and

a second slot located on the right side near the headphone jack. This

smaller slot is used to play thumb drives. Remove the protective rubber pad

covering this slot and insert the thumb drive. It will insert only in one

position. If you encounter resistance, flip the drive over and try again.

(Note: If the cartridge slot is not empty when you insert the thumb drive,

the digital player will ignore the thumb drive.) Once the thumb drive is

inserted, the player buttons will function as usual for reading digital

materials. If you remove the thumb drive to use the player for cartridges,

when you insert it again, reading should resume at the point you stopped.

      You can transfer the recording of each issue from the thumb drive to

your computer or preserve it on the thumb drive. However, because thumb

drives can be used hundreds of times, we would appreciate their return in

order to stretch our funding. Please use the return envelope enclosed with

the drive when you return the device.

Orlando Site of 2018 NFB Convention

      The 2018 convention of the National Federation of the Blind will take

place in Orlando, Florida, July 3 to July 8, at the Rosen Shingle Creek

Resort, 9939 Universal Boulevard, Orlando, Florida 32819-9357. Make your

room reservation as soon as possible with the Shingle Creek staff only.

Call (866) 996-6338.

      The 2018 room rates are singles and doubles, $88; and for triples and

quads $93. In addition to the room rates there will be a tax, which at

present is 12.5 percent. No charge will be made for children under

seventeen in the room with parents as long as no extra bed is requested.

The hotel is accepting reservations now. A $100-per-room deposit is

required to make a reservation. Fifty percent of the deposit will be

refunded if notice is given to the hotel of a reservation cancellation

before June 1, 2018. The other 50 percent is not refundable.

      Rooms will be available on a first-come, first-served basis.

Reservations may be made before June 1, 2018, assuming that rooms are still

available. After that time the hotel will not hold our room block for the

convention. In other words, you should get your reservation in soon.

      All Rosen Shingle Creek guestrooms feature amenities that include

plush Creek Sleeper beds, 40" flat screen TVs, complimentary high-speed

internet service, in-room safes, coffee makers, mini-fridges, and hair

dryers. Guests can also enjoy a swimming pool, fitness center, and on-site

spa. The Rosen Shingle Creek Resort has a number of dining options,

including two award-winning restaurants, and twenty-four-hour-a-day room

service.

The schedule for the 2018 convention is:

Tuesday, July 3 Seminar Day

Wednesday, July 4 Registration and Resolutions Day

Thursday, July 5 Board Meeting and Division Day

Friday, July 6 Opening Session

Saturday, July 7 Business Session

Sunday, July 8 Banquet Day and Adjournment

Vol. 61,  No.  3                                                       March

2018

      Contents

Illustration: Taking on the Big Challenges of Blindness is What We are All

About

The Washington Seminar in Review

by Gary Wunder

Legislative Agenda of Blind Americans: Priorities for the 115th Congress,

Second Session

Accessible Instructional Materials in Higher Education Act (S. 2138/H.R.

1772)

Access Technology Affordability Act (S. 732/H.R. 1734)

Oppose the ADA Education and Reform Act of 2017 (H.R. 620)

The Marrakesh Treaty to Facilitate Access to Published Works for Persons

Who are Blind, Visually Impaired, or Otherwise Print-Disabled (Marrakesh

Treaty)

A Report from the Blind Merchants Division

by Terry Smith

A Report from the National Association of Blind Students

by Kathryn Webster

Building the Federation Brand Part 2: The Brand Personality

by Chris Danielsen

The Dentist and the Eye Doctor

by Jim Marks

Well Digger's Wisdom

by Ryan Strunk

The 2017 National Convention from Afar

by Adrijana Prokopenko

A Twisted Tail Dog

by Toni and Ed Eames

The Kenneth Jernigan Convention Scholarship Fund

by Allen Harris

Definitely the Cat's Meow

Lauren

Merryfield..................................................................

Eligible Sprint Customers Can Get a KNFB Reader Enterprise License Free

Recipes.....................................................................

Monitor

Miniatures..................................................................

[PHOTO CAPTION: Mark Riccobono poses with the award.

[PHOTO CAPTION: Alex Roy, editor-at-large, The Drive (the emcee of the

banquet); Mark Riccobono; Bryan Reimer, research scientist at MIT's AgeLab

and associate director of the New England University Transportation Center;

Huei Peng, director of the Mobility Transportation Center (MTC) of the

University of Michigan; Dan Galves, senior vice president and chief

communications officer, Mobileye, an Intel Company

[PHOTO CAPTION: Alex Roy, editor-at-large for The Drive, poses with Mark

Riccobono.

     Taking on the Big Challenges of Blindness is What We are all About

      In a land where the automobile is the most prevalent way to get

around, the inability to drive poses one of the biggest problems to blind

people. Naturally the nation's most active organization engaged in problem-

solving is addressing the issue. As we come ever closer to putting cars

that drive themselves on the road, the challenge for blind people is to

ensure we can operate them and that the law of the land permits us to do

so.

      Recognizing our work, the Auto Alliance and the Alliance for

Transportation Innovation presented President Riccobono with an award on

January 24, 2018. Others recognized included members of Congress, a

governor, and a state senator. Also noted for their work were individuals

from a safety research consortium, a startup tech firm, a proving grounds

pioneer, and a major automotive supplier. "It is important to spotlight the

innovators and pioneers who are making future advancements a reality today.

Their efforts and technologies have the potential to bring tremendous

societal benefits-first and foremost greater motor vehicle safety, as well

as greater mobility and reduced emissions," said Mitch Bainwol, president

and CEO, Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers.

      In additional remarks, the organizations went on to say, "Mark A.

Riccobono, President of the National Federation of the Blind, has served as

a strong advocate for autonomous vehicles for the disability community. In

October 2017, the National Federation of the Blind hosted a first-of-its-

kind gathering of consumers with disabilities, auto representatives, ride-

sharing providers, and policymakers to lay the groundwork for including

accessibility in the development of promising new vehicle technologies in

the early stages. The conference launched an ongoing conversation about how

autonomous vehicles can be developed and deployed safely, while considering

the needs of those 57 million Americans with disabilities."

                      The Washington Seminar in Review

                               by Gary Wunder

      Focus is defined as the state or quality of having or producing clear

visual definition, e.g., his face is out of focus; the point at which an

object must be situated with respect to a lens in order for an image of it

to be well defined; a device on a lens that can be adjusted to produce a

clear image; to focus a telescope; a person or their eyes; adapt to the

prevailing level of light and become able to see clearly. But for all the

references on focus that relate to vision, focus was the heart and soul of

the 2018 Washington Seminar, and it had nothing to do with sight or cameras

or telescopes. It had everything to do with a laser-like focus or

concentration on improving the lives of blind people. It had everything to

do with not being distracted by the divisive issues that seem to divide the

country and everything to do with finding common ground, being bipartisan,

and dealing head-on with the issues that affect all of us regardless of our

political ideologies and the labels that might be attached to us. The most

important label we displayed with pride-the one that identified us as

members of the National Federation of the Blind.

      The National Organization of Parents of Blind Children started early

by hosting its own two-day seminar, and as a parent I met at the elevator

said, "This seminar was wonderful for us. It came at just the right time,

gave us lots of information, and has convinced us that there are

opportunities for our child we didn't dare to dream possible. We are so

grateful." What more could an organization ask of a division responsible

for creating a magazine called Future Reflections which is dedicated to

bringing such hope and comfort to parents of blind children and such

opportunity to blind people themselves.

      But we had more than parents who wanted to meet to discuss issues in-

depth. One was the National Federation of the Blind Merchants Division, and

there was much for them to discuss. What once was a program that offered a

small corner in a federal or state building was transformed in 1974, and

blind merchants today have business locations that private vendors would

love to occupy. When big corporations come to Washington to tell Congress

that these facilities should be assigned to them rather than the blind, the

blind have something to say about that. We demand our right to be a part of

the free enterprise system, not just as women and men employed by someone

else but as managers who oversee lucrative businesses who are the job

creators of our nation and who provide a quality service that is as fine as

any big business can supply. A more detailed report of the division's

meeting can be found later in this issue.

      Our meeting in Washington has for a long time been the midwinter

meeting of our National Association of Blind Students, and the room for

that meeting was jam-packed. A report of this meeting is found elsewhere in

this issue.

[PHOTO CAPTION: The crowd at the Great Gathering-In stands and claps.

      On Monday afternoon many who planned to go to Capitol Hill met with

members of our legislative team to become familiar with the intricacies of

the legislation we would discuss with those on Capitol Hill and to hear

some dos and don'ts when dealing with the United States House of

Representatives and the United States Senate. The issues we were briefed on

are covered in the fact sheets that appear elsewhere in this issue, but

what is so special about the early afternoon meeting is the tips we are

given: Start by defining the problem. If this is an issue we have covered

several times and the member or his staff already know about it, go lighter

on the problem, stress the need for its resolution, and reserve more time

for new issues. Don't forget to say thank you for past support. At the end

of the presentation, don't forget to make the ultimate ask-will you

cosponsor this legislation? If the answer is clearly no, move on. If the

answer is clearly yes, move on. If more information is likely to determine

the outcome, make sure you understand what is needed, find the answers, and

do the follow-up to ensure that this information gets back to the

Congressman's office.

      When the gavel fell at 5 PM to signal the beginning of the Great

Gathering-In Meeting, President Riccobono inspired the group with these

remarks which set not only the tone of the evening but the tone of the four-

day event: "Some have been wondering what that sound is in Washington, DC.

No, it's not the sound of the government gearing back up after a shutdown.

No, it's not the sound of social media being blown up with fake news. And

it is certainly not the sound of uncertainty, confusion, doubt, or despair.

Those who are in the know recognize that what they hear in Washington is

the heartbeat of the blind of the nation. We have come with hope and

confidence to speak for ourselves, to lead the way with authenticity, to

call upon our elected leaders in Congress and urge them to join us in

achieving security, equality, and opportunity and to answer the question,

who are we?" The crowd responds with "NFB." "But really, who are we? We are

the National Federation of the Blind." The crowd now responds with

"National Federation of the Blind, National Federation of the Blind,

National Federation of the Blind," and it does so each time the President

and later presenters pause and prepare to say the name of our organization.

President Riccobono continues:

            We are the only organization that believes in the full capacity

      of blind people. We are the National Federation of the Blind. We have

      the power, influence, diversity, and determination. We are the

      National Federation of the Blind. We value collective action,

      democracy, respectful participation, courage, and love. We are the

      National Federation of the Blind. We are filled with hope, energy, and

      love by participating in our movement because our expectations are

      raised, and our contributions make a difference to us and to others.

      We are the members of the National Federation of the Blind.

            It is up to us to make sure that the government does not create

      artificial barriers between blind people and our dreams. The Social

      Security Administration provides benefits to blind people that are a

      critical safety net while receiving rehabilitation training and while

      seeking and securing employment. We are invited to come to local SSA

      offices to meet with personnel of the agency about our benefits, but

      we are required to check in using touchscreen kiosks. We value full

      participation, but the Social Security Administration has implemented

      inaccessible visitor intake processing using touchscreen kiosks that

      require blind people to provide private information, including their

      Social Security number, to the sighted person who just happens to be

      nearby. We are not willing to be second-class citizens. We have asked

      the government for equal access, and they have dragged their feet. We

      have dragged them into court because we are the National Federation of

      the Blind.

            We seek to enjoy opportunities like all other Americans. In

      addition to work and school, we like to grab a meal out and maybe a

      movie now and then. Apparently it is not just the government that is

      fascinated with the use of kiosks. They also appear on our restaurant

      tables and in our grocery stores. Late last year we settled with E la

      Carte and Applebee's to incorporate text-to-speech capabilities into

      all current and future PrestoPrime touch tablets across the nation.

            In November we resolved a class-action suit with Redbox which

      will result in Redbox outfitting its kiosks with tactile keyboards,

      headphone jacks, and text-to-speech capabilities. When Redbox is done,

      blind people who live in areas that are served by Redbox should never

      be more than a five-minute-drive from an accessible Redbox kiosk where

      you can pick up the latest movies offered by the company. We will

      monitor Redbox to make sure they get it right because we are the

      National Federation of the Blind.

            We want to work, but we are often denied equal access to

      information about available jobs. Working with us, Monster has renewed

      its commitment to accessibility and has agreed to make all of its

      employment job ads available through monster.com and monster-branded

      applications fully and equally accessible by next December. Monster

      will also collaborate with us on ways that it can educate employers

      and promote the benefits of employees who are blind in real jobs. We

      want to work in integrated, competitive employment. We are the

      National Federation of the Blind.

            We want our blind children to get the best education they can.

      Some school districts hold our blind students down. In Iowa a local

      school district had failed to educate a blind student to such a degree

      that he was poised to transition out of high school without the

      ability to read Braille or use screen-access software. We will not

      allow educators to fail another generation of blind students. If they

      will not teach them, we will advocate for them and teach them

      ourselves. That is what we did in this case, and today this high

      school student is receiving training to make up for the years of

      insufficient services he received in Iowa. The training is being

      conducted by BLIND, Inc in Minnesota. BLIND, Inc is a training center

      operated under the philosophy of the National Federation of the Blind.

            We come to Washington, DC, to let our elected officials know

      that we intend to give them advice and vote to determine whether they

      will return next year. Some states believe that we need not enjoy the

      full range of voting opportunities afforded to sighted Americans. We

      know what equality means, and we have the power and determination to

      get it when it is not granted. Earlier this month the office of Ohio's

      Secretary of State changed its mind about access to voting for the

      blind. All Ohio counties were ordered to implement an accessible

      absentee ballot-marking tool in time for the November 2018 election.

      We helped them change their mind, and we are the National Federation

      of the Blind.

            If you have not yet met us, you can be certain you will. Whether

      you are a museum creating a significant historical exhibit of our

      time, a manufacturer of vehicles that require no driver, an airline

      that insists on burdensome notifications before we can board, or an

      antiquated professional organization trying to ride a dead horse to

      accreditation, you will soon know that we are the National Federation

      of the Blind-we are the National Federation of the Blind-we are the

      National Federation of the Blind.

            We come with our dreams and our legislative proposals. We have

      not asked that the proposals be written for us. We have crafted the

      solutions and have come to get them enacted. We speak with a unified

      voice built on the authentic individual experience of thousands. We

      have gathered together to transform our dreams into reality. We have

      come to live the lives we want.

[PHOTO CAPTION: Diane McGeorge

      Diane McGeorge was introduced and said that this was her thirty-

fourth year as the coordinator of logistics for our Washington Seminar. She

gave the logistical information we have been accustomed to getting, and the

applause that she received reflected the tremendous admiration we have for

her and all that she continues to do.

      This year's Great Gathering-In Meeting was broadcast on Facebook

live, and both President Riccobono and Kirsten Mau, director of marketing

and communications, welcomed our remote visitors. Although there is nothing

quite like being in the Capitol Ballroom where people are packed from wall

to wall or in the overflow room which is also well-populated, it is

wonderful that we can extend the spirit of the Great Gathering-In to

Federationists throughout the country and around the world. Kirsten urged

everyone who has a smartphone to download our NFB Connect app that provides

access in one place to the Braille Monitor, the Voice of the Nation's Blind

blog, current announcements, our Twitter feed, the location and meeting

time of the chapter nearest you, and so much more.

      Immediate Past President Maurer has recently focused a lot of

attention on different ways that blind people can learn, and one of those

ways involves pictures. This way of displaying information has long been

considered off-limits to blind people, and although the pictures are still

somewhat costly to produce and difficult for those of us not acquainted

with them to understand, the potential they offer to enrich the learning of

blind people is enormous. The American Action Fund for Blind Children and

Adults has developed the drawing kit and is selectively distributing it to

people interested in increasing the ways in which blind people learn and in

expanding the possibilities that come through an understanding of pictures,

drawings, graphs, and other material. People interested in helping with

this project should contact Patricia Maurer at the Jernigan Institute by

writing to her at pmaurer at nfb.org <mailto:pmaurer at nfb.org> .

[PHOTO CAPTION: Congressman Gus M. Bilirakis, representative of the Twelfth

District of Florida, speaks to the crowd.

[PHOTO CAPTION: Congressman Gus M. Bilirakis and Mark Riccobono

      The Great Gathering-In was next addressed by the congressman

representing the Twelfth District of Florida, the Honorable Gus Bilirakis.

He is the vice chairman of the House Committee on Veterans Affairs, and he

is a member of the House Committee on Energy and Commerce. He has sponsored

H.R. 936, the Space Available Act; is a cosponsor of H.R. 1734, the Access

Technology Affordability Act; and he is an early supporter of H.R. 3388,

the SELF DRIVE Act which foreshadows the appearance on our nation's streets

and highways of self-driving vehicles. The congressman wrote an amendment

to this bill establishing a committee to ensure that these vehicles will be

ones that senior citizens and blind people can operate. The congressman has

a dog in the fight since he has significant vision loss as well as a loss

of hearing. He reviewed all of the other bills which he is involved with as

a result of the Federation, wished us luck as we went to The Hill, and

encouraged us to keep on bringing our message year after year to the

Congress of the United States.

      When our blind brothers and sisters are in need, we are there. This

was never more evident than when hurricane Harvey visited Texas and

Louisiana and when blind people found themselves confronting devastating

destruction in Puerto Rico. In Texas more than seventy inches of rain fell

over one week. More than 105,000 people had their homes destroyed. The

National Federation of the Blind set up a fund which was administered by

state president and national board member Norma Crosby. She addressed the

Great Gathering-In, talked briefly about the assistance we provided, said

that we have now met all the requests received from Texas, and that since

we promised that all money sent for hurricane relief would be spent on

hurricane relief, the balance in the fund would go to Puerto Rico. The

audience greeted Norma's presentation with enthusiastic response,

representing our pride in being able to help, our pride in having leaders

such as President Riccobono and President Crosby, and our determination to

see that those in Puerto Rico receive all the help we are capable of

giving.

[PHOTO CAPTION: Anil Lewis

      Anil Lewis is the executive director of the Jernigan Institute, and

he began his presentation by saying that one of his first national events

was participating in NAC Tracking, the name we used to symbolize the

protests against a bogus accreditation body that cared little about what

the blind said or thought. Anil related that it was a rainy day, that

Immediate Past President Maurer had put him in charge of the poncho crew,

and he hadn't a clue how we would actually organize a protest. When Diane

McGeorge saw his hesitation, she grabbed up a picket sign, moved to a

corner, raised the sign, and began shouting, "Come to my voice and turn

left." It was then that Anil knew that blind people were quite capable of

organizing and participating in protests, and he has been sounding his

voice on behalf of blind people ever since.

      So we protest when we must, but our preference is to build

relationships and programs. One of the finest we have built is the Braille

Enrichment for Literacy and Learning Academy, and it is now taking

applications to serve young people ages four to twelve. Parents who have

children who can benefit from our program should go to https://nfb.org/bell-

academy. As wonderful as our program is, it is exceedingly frustrating to

deal with a school system that fails to recognize the role of Braille and

the importance of dual-media learning for our blind children. We have

created instructional materials. We have created the National Reading Media

Assessment, we certify Braille transcribers, and, as a last resort, we take

on school districts that refuse to live up to their responsibility to the

students they are charged with serving.

      Science, technology, engineering, and math provide one of the most

exciting industries for lucrative employment, but blind people are

underrepresented in these fields because instead of being trained using the

alternative techniques of blindness, we are educated in schools which see

us as broken sighted people, and our students are encouraged to do things

the way sighted people do them. But we are not broken sighted people who

are forever put at a disadvantage. We are blind people with educational

tools and techniques that will let us be as productive as our sighted

neighbors. As noted elsewhere in the program, access technology gives us

education; access technology gives us jobs; access technology gives us

independence.

      As a follow-up to our first grant from the National Science

Foundation, we have been given a second. It is a five-year grant to conduct

a program called Spatial Ability Blindness Engineering Research. Spatial

ability is linked to performance in STEM, and the ability of blind people

to do mental mapping actually means that we have the potential to be great

engineers. This means that we will continue to build on the research that

illustrates that our natural abilities to live in this world promote

opportunities for us to engage in STEM areas. For more information, go to

blindscience.org.

      Lastly, Anil reminded us that very soon we will be launching a

national mentoring program. We are built on mentoring, survive on

mentoring, and are best known for our each-one-teach-five philosophy. All

of us have something to offer to young blind students, so everyone should

go to www.nfb.org/mentorapplication <http://www.nfb.org/mentorapplication>
and become a mentor. Anil said, "Won't

it be fantastic when someday soon we call on our self-driving car to go

pick up our mentee for a visit and a meal out?"

      Following upon Anil's desire for us to form new relationships,

President Riccobono noted that Kirk Adams, the president of the American

Foundation for the Blind, was in the audience, and when he was asked about

NAC, he said that there was no way that the foundation would be supporting

it. So, if we are called upon to take up our picket signs, it may be that

we form some new relationships on the picket line as we work to see that

blind people chart our own destiny, demand quality service, and are the

customers who will determine whether an agency is providing quality service

or not.

      None of the initiatives we undertake is more important to the

maintenance of our families than ensuring that we have the right to be

blind parents. Melissa Riccobono is heading up our blind parents

initiative, and we all know that she can't mentor all of the blind parents

who need mentoring by herself. If you know something about being a blind

parent and wish to help others, please go to blindparents.org and fill out

the form to become a mentor.

      President Riccobono reminded the assembled that we are looking for

innovative agencies and individuals to recognize them with our Dr. Jacob

Bolotin awards. Jim Gashel chairs this effort, and more information about

the program and the process for making nominations is found at

www.nfb.org/bolotin/ <http://www.nfb.org/bolotin/> . The President also
encouraged us to remember that we

are actively engaged with Uber and Lyft to monitor their compliance with

agreements to transport people using guide dogs. Please log every ride you

take with your guide dog by going to www.nfb.org/rideshare
<http://www.nfb.org/rideshare> .

      This year the national convention will be sponsored by our affiliates

in Iowa, Florida, and Virginia. The convention will be from July 3 through

July 8 and will be held at the Rosen Shingle Creek. More detailed

information can be found at the front of this issue.

      "Ladies and gentlemen, I am the biggest proponent of our

Preauthorized Contribution Program (PAC). I am because, like so many of

you, it has helped me transform my dreams into reality and to live the life

I want. But it's even more basic than that. It has allowed me to know that

I have the right to have dreams. It is this Federation who in 1986 took a

scared high school graduate and helped turn him into a confident young man

largely thanks to the introduction I got to the Federation through our

scholarship program. Guess what funds the scholarship program? The PAC

Plan. It was during my first Washington Seminar in 1987 that I realized I

might want to go to law school because I wanted to make a difference

through the law. ... This is our single most successful internal

fundraising program, and everyone who can should be a part of it." So said

our intrepid PAC Chairman, Scott LaBarre. Contact your chapter or affiliate

president for more information or go to

https://nfb.org/images/nfb/documents/pdf/pac-form-fillout-accessible.pdf to

sign up or to increase your contribution.

      President Riccobono announced that on the following evening the

National Federation of the Blind would be sponsoring the first fully

tactile art exhibit in the United States at the Newseum on Pennsylvania

Street in Washington, DC. The Newseum was opened for the exclusive use of

Federationists and our guests between 6 and 8:30 PM, and we will cover this

first-of-its-kind exhibit in the April issue of the Braille Monitor.

[PHOTO CAPTION: John Pari

      The executive director for strategic initiatives of the National

Federation of the Blind, John Pari, took the stage to introduce the

legislative team who would join the rest of us on Capitol Hill throughout

the week. In addition to the four issues which appear on our fact sheets

and follow this article, John reminded us that we are also supporting other

pieces of legislation including the TIME Act, the Space Available Act, and

the SELF DRIVE Act. We are also working hard to see that blind vendors

retain privileges to work the roadside rest areas that are now run by blind

merchants by opposing H.R. 1990. We are working on language to reform the

AbilityOne Act, and the accessibility of medical devices is also a high

priority with us, especially those devices used by blind diabetics. We

will, of course, see that blind people continue to have the right to be

accompanied by their guide dogs when flying, and we totally reject the idea

that anyone must give forty-eight-hours' notice before bringing their guide

dog onboard. Whether we support or oppose a piece of legislation,

regulation, or a comment made by a public official, we always stand out in

the way that we conduct ourselves because we are polite, professional,

persistent, and persuasive.

[PHOTO/CAPTION: Patti Chang

      After a brief review of each issue we would address on Capitol Hill,

Patti Chang was introduced to talk about the Dream Maker's Circle, a

program that will help continue to fund the National Federation of the

Blind when those of us who now do it are no longer alive. Kevan Worley

mentioned a program negotiated by President Riccobono and the Aira

Corporation to provide special discounts for members of the National

Federation of the Blind. The specific offer made to Federationists can be

found at http://go.aira.io/nfb. In addition to special discounts for

members, all state affiliate conventions and the national convention will

be Aira sites, and subscribers will not use minutes when taking advantage

of Aira services.

      When the meeting concluded, many of us went off to find some food and

then a quiet place where we could do the role-playing that would get us

ready for the next three days on Capitol Hill. Nothing builds confidence in

quite the same way as fielding questions, giving answers, and getting

gentle direction and constructive criticism from those who've done it

before. The thing that really cements confidence in one's ability comes

when a legislative aide or a congressman says that they get it, that they

appreciate our communication, and that they are proud to join us in

supporting or opposing a bill.

      People who attend the Washington Seminar annually love the experience

and regard it as a significant part of their year. But to gauge the impact

of the seminar, it is important to talk with those who are attending for

the first time.: "The Washington Seminar was more exciting than I ever

dreamed it could be. I met a lot of people I've read about, and when I

would tell them I had read their articles in the Braille Monitor it was

wonderful when they would say, 'Yes, I wrote that article.' And then say

that it was a pleasure for them to meet me as well." Another first-timer

said: "I come away feeling inspired. It is amazing to think that I really

have a say in the important policies of our nation. It makes me proud to be

a part of an organization that is so empowering."

      Indications are that this year will garner us a number of new

cosponsors for the legislation we support and will do much to eliminate the

possibility that a law to dismantle the ADA will not pass the House of

Representatives or be seriously considered in the Senate. These are

victories by any standard, and they are made possible because, through the

National Federation of the Blind, we turn intentions into action and action

into positive results.

                                 ----------

                    Legislative Agenda of Blind Americans

              Priorities for the 115th Congress, Second Session

who believe in the hopes and dreams of the nation's blind. Every day we

work together to help blind people live the lives we want.

      . The Accessible Instructional Materials in Higher Education (Aim

        High) Act

            Electronic instructional materials have replaced traditional

      methods of learning in postsecondary education, but the overwhelming

      majority of ebooks, courseware, web content, and other technologies

      are inaccessible to students with print disabilities. The law requires

      equal access in the classroom but fails to provide direction to

      schools for the way it applies to technology. The Aim High Act creates

      voluntary accessibility guidelines for educational technology to

      stimulate the market, improve blind students' access to course

      materials, and reduce litigation for schools.

      . The Access Technology Affordability Act (ATAA)

            Currently, blind Americans rely on scarce sources of funding to

      acquire access technology. By providing a refundable tax credit for

      qualifying access technology purchases, Congress will stimulate

      individual procurement of access technology and promote affordability

      of these tools for blind Americans.

      . Opposition to the "ADA Education and Reform Act of 2017" (H.R. 620)

            The ADA Education and Reform Act of 2017 would undermine the ADA

      by significantly eroding equal access protections and progress made

      over nearly three decades.

      . The Marrakesh Treaty to Facilitate Access to Published Works for

        Persons Who Are Blind, Visually Impaired, or Otherwise Print

        Disabled

            Despite the ability to convert print books into accessible

      formats like Braille, large print, audio, and digital copies, millions

      of blind and otherwise print-disabled Americans are excluded from

      accessing 95 percent of published works. The Marrakesh Treaty will

      enable the cross-border exchange of accessible format copies, thereby

      vastly expanding the availability of accessible foreign language

      literature to blind and otherwise print-disabled Americans.

These priorities will remove obstacles to education, employment, and access

       to published works. We urge Congress to support our legislative

                                initiatives.

Find us on social media:

National Federation of the Blind | @NFB_Voice | @nfb_voice

                                 ----------

  Accessible Instructional Materials in Higher Education Act (S. 2138/H.R.

                                    1772)

  Until a market-driven solution for accessible instructional materials is

  achieved, blind college students will be denied access to critical course

                                  content.

      Technology has fundamentally changed the education system. The scope

of instructional materials used at institutions of higher education has

expanded. Curricular content comes in digital books, PDFs, webpages, etc.,

and most of this content is delivered through digital databases, learning

management systems, and applications. The print world is inherently

inaccessible to students with disabilities, but technology offers the

opportunity to expand the circle of participation. Studies have found that,

of the 6.6 million students with disabilities in grades K-12, the number

who go on to pursue postsecondary education is growing.

      Blind students are facing insurmountable barriers to education.

Instead of fulfilling the promise of equal access, technology has created

more problems than the print world ever did. Data show that students with

disabilities face a variety of challenges, including matriculation and

college completion failure, solely because, in the absence of clear

accessibility guidelines, colleges and universities are sticking with the

ad-hoc accommodations model. Currently, schools deploy inaccessible

technology and then modify another version for blind students, usually

weeks or even months into class, creating a "separate-but-equal" landscape

with nearly impenetrable barriers. With only a 17.9 percent employment

rate, compared to 65.3 percent among people without disabilities, students

with disabilities should not be denied access by the innovations that can

ensure full participation.

      Institutions of higher education need help to identify accessible

material and comply with nondiscrimination laws. Section 504 of the

Rehabilitation Act and Titles II and III of the Americans with Disabilities

Act require schools to provide equal access, and in 2010, the US

Departments of Justice and Education clarified that the use of inaccessible

technology is prohibited under these laws. The 2011 AIM Commission

recommended to Congress that accessibility guidelines be developed for

postsecondary instructional materials. In the seven years since, over a

dozen institutions have faced legal action for using inaccessible

technology, and complaints are on the rise. Most litigation ends with a

commitment from the school to embrace accessibility, but that commitment

does little in a vast, uncoordinated higher education market.

      Accessibility solutions are available, but guidelines are sorely

needed to stimulate the market. The Accessible Instructional Materials in

Higher Education Act will bring together people with disabilities and the

higher education, publishing, tech developing, and manufacturing

communities to develop a stakeholder-driven solution to the issue of

inaccessible instructional materials. With input from all relevant

stakeholder communities, mainstream accessible instructional materials can

be achieved, benefiting both institutions of higher education and the

students with disabilities they aim to serve.

Accessible Instructional Materials in Higher Education Act:

      Develops accessibility guidelines for instructional materials used in

postsecondary education. A purpose-based commission is tasked with

developing accessibility criteria for instructional materials and the

delivery systems/technologies used to access those materials. Additionally,

the commission is tasked with developing an annotated list of existing

national and international standards so that schools and developers can

identify what makes a product usable by the blind.

      Provides a digital accessibility roadmap for institutions of higher

education. The guidelines developed by the commission will contain specific

technical and functional criteria that will clearly illustrate how to make

educational technologies usable by the blind and other students with print

disabilities. Such criteria will prove to be beneficial to procurement

officers, informational technology staff, chief technology officers, and

other key personnel at institutions of higher education.

      Offers flexibility for schools while reiterating that pre-existing

obligations still apply. Colleges and universities are permitted to use

material that does not conform to the guidelines as long as equal access

laws are still honored. Conformity with the Aim High guidelines is only one

path to compliance; schools can pursue a different path but in doing so

will forfeit the combined expertise of the relevant stakeholder communities

involved in the development of the Aim High guidelines.

                REMOVE BARRIERS TO EQUALITY IN THE CLASSROOM.

    Cosponsor Accessible Instructional Materials in Higher Education Act.

To cosponsor S. 2138, contact:

Samuel Weinstock, legislative correspondent, Senator Elizabeth Warren (D-

MA)

Phone: (202) 224-4543, Email: samuel_weinstock at warren.senate.gov
<mailto:samuel_weinstock at warren.senate.gov>

To cosponsor H.R. 1772, contact:

Jennifer Wise, legislative fellow, Congressman Phil Roe (R-TN)

Phone: (202) 225-6356, Email: jennifer.wise at mail.house.gov
<mailto:jennifer.wise at mail.house.gov>

For more information, contact:

Gabe Cazares, government affairs specialist, National Federation of the

Blind

Phone: (410) 659-9314, extension 2206, Email: gcazares at nfb.org
<mailto:gcazares at nfb.org>

For more information visit: www.nfb.org/aim_high
<http://www.nfb.org/aim_high>

                                 ----------

           Access Technology Affordability Act (S. 732/H.R. 1734)

Increase the availability of access technology and promote affordability of

                     that technology for blind Americans

      Access technology enables blind Americans to participate in today's

connected world. Although blindness is easily measurable, it affects each

person differently and at different ages. Despite these differences,

manufacturers have designed various tools that enable each blind American

to perform tasks that they were once unable to accomplish themselves due to

their disability. Braille notetakers are frequently used in schools, screen-

reading software allows workers to check their email at home, and screen

magnification software can help seniors losing vision learn about community

activities. Access technology equips blind Americans to seek employment and

stay employed. For the 58 percent of blind Americans who are not in the

labor market, it is a vehicle that makes possible and increases the chances

of engaging in and securing employment. However, despite this critical

need, public and private entities struggle to meet consumer demand. This

leads to untimely delays in the delivery of crucial technology and

ultimately harms the blind consumer.

      The high cost of access technology creates a difficult economic

reality. According to the United States Census Bureau, 72 percent of blind

Americans are either unemployed or underemployed, yet most access

technology continues to range from $1,000 to $6,000. For example, a leading

screen reader is $900, a popular Braille notetaker is $5,495, one model of

a refreshable Braille display is $2,795, and a moderately priced Braille

embosser is $3,695. Consequently, most blind Americans do not have

sufficient financial resources needed to purchase these items. These

financial barriers can ultimately lead to a loss of employment,

insufficient education, or even isolation from community activities.

      Medical insurance will not cover the cost of access technology.

Current definitions of "medical care," "medical necessity," and "durable

medical equipment" within common insurance policies do not include access

technology. These definitions were adopted in the 1960s when medical care

was viewed primarily as curative and palliative, with little or no

consideration given to increasing an individual's functional status. Many

states' Medicaid programs and individual health insurance plans have

adopted similar definitions and likewise will not cover the cost of access

technology.

Access Technology Affordability Act:

The Access Technology Affordability Act provides a simple solution that

will increase the availability of access technology so that blind Americans

can procure these items for themselves. It establishes a refundable tax

credit for blind Americans in the amount of $2,500 to be used over a three-

year period to offset the cost of access technology.

     Historically, Congress has created similar tax incentives (e.g.,

Disabled Access Credit) for business owners required to make

accommodations, including access technology, for employees and patrons with

disabilities. Even though Congress created these tax incentives to increase

accessibility in the community, these incentives are underutilized.

Meanwhile, blind Americans, for the most part, must depend on others to

procure access technology for them.

      There is no one-size-fits-all solution to meet the access technology

needs of all blind Americans. Accessibility requires an individualized

assessment of one's own skills and needs. Therefore, blind Americans should

be given the opportunity to procure access technology on their own to

ensure that they are receiving the tools that are most useful for them.

      REMOVE FINANCIAL BARRIERS AND INCREASE THE AVAILABILITY OF ACCESS

                                 TECHNOLOGY.

To cosponsor S. 732 in the Senate, contact:

Ryan Losak, legislative correspondent, Office of Senator John Boozman (R-

AR)

Phone: (202) 224-4843, Email: ryan_losak at boozman.senate.gov
<mailto:ryan_losak at boozman.senate.gov>

To cosponsor H.R. 1734 in the House of Representatives, contact:

Jacob Olson, legislative director, Office of Congressman David Young (R-IA)

Phone: (202) 225-5476, Email: jacob.olson at mail.house.gov
<mailto:jacob.olson at mail.house.gov>

For more information, contact:

Kimie Beverly, government affairs specialist, National Federation of the

Blind

Phone: (410) 659-9314, extension 2441, Email: kbeverly at nfb.org
<mailto:kbeverly at nfb.org>

For more information visit www.nfb.org <http://www.nfb.org>

                                 ----------

         Oppose the ADA Education and Reform Act of 2017 (H.R. 620)

     The ADA Education and Reform Act of 2017 would undermine the ADA by

    significantly eroding equal access protections and progress made over

                            nearly three decades.

      In 1990 the landmark Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) was passed

with broad bipartisan support. After years of advocacy by people with

disabilities and extensive negotiations with the business community, a

compromise was reached which balanced the cost to businesses of

accommodating people with disabilities with the desperate need to eliminate

the physical and systemic barriers that were isolating them from the rest

of society and denying them educational, economic, and employment

opportunities. Over twenty-seven years later, while much still needs to be

done, the ADA has tremendously benefited the blind and others, with and

without disabilities. The blind have more access and more ability to

participate in economic and community life than we have ever had, while

businesses have an expanded customer base, and many accommodations that

benefit people with disabilities also benefit others. Now, H.R. 620 (and

other proposed ADA "notification" or "reform" bills) threaten to bankrupt

the promise of the ADA.

      H.R. 620 would eliminate the right to equal access that is guaranteed

by the ADA. Instead, the bill would require only that a public

accommodation show "substantial progress" toward fixing an access barrier,

a standard which has no clear legal definition. The introduction of this

vague standard disregards the right of people with disabilities to demand

an immediate remedy to an access barrier. Given that this standard is not

clearly defined, a business may be able to create a quick partial remedy to

an access barrier, not a real solution. For the blind, this could mean

continued inaccessibility in online shopping or digital banking platforms,

as well as the inability to maintain the privacy of medical information

that other people have during visits to the doctor's office, or to

independently peruse the menu choices at a restaurant.

      H.R. 620 would undermine the ADA by eroding the threat of litigation,

and thereby eliminate a major incentive for compliance. Under the bill, a

covered business need not comply with its existing obligations under the

ADA at all until receiving a detailed letter from a person with a

disability who experienced an access barrier. The business will then be

required only to achieve "substantial progress" in remedying the barrier to

avoid a lawsuit. The result will be that many businesses will never need to

fully comply with the ADA, despite being notified of access barriers that

have been experienced by their potential patrons.

      This bill is founded on inaccuracies and misunderstandings.

Proponents of H.R. 620 argue that the bill is necessary because of the

existence of "drive-by lawsuits" designed to exploit Title III of the ADA.

This argument has no researched data behind it and rests entirely on

anecdotes and sensationalized media stories. There is also confusion as to

whether the ADA permits litigants to seek monetary damages under Title III

lawsuits, which it does not.

The Americans with Disabilities Act:

      The ADA is already a compromise that is designed to acknowledge the

concerns of the business community. It explicitly states that any remedy

must be "readily achievable" if the access barrier exists in an

establishment that predates passage of the bill (1990). The "readily

achievable" standard considers the difficulty of the remedy as well as the

expense and relationship to the structure of the establishment in question.

In addition to this standard, there are provisions within Title III that

require certain factors to be considered when determining obligations to

undertake Title III remedies, such as the size of the business and the

financial resources available to the business.

The federal government already provides extensive educational and technical

assistance resources to aid businesses with their ADA compliance

obligations. The following resources make Section 2 of H.R. 620 redundant:

      . ten regional ADA centers, funded by a grant from the Department of

        Health and Human Services, that provide technical assistance,

        trainings, and other resources for businesses;

      . an ADA hotline for businesses to call, operated by the Department

        of Justice; and

      . an ADA website, containing numerous resources, tools, and

        information for businesses.

      The Department of Justice already facilitates mediation and

alternative dispute resolution mechanisms. When the ADA was enacted nearly

thirty years ago, Congress encouraged the use of mediation as a way to

resolve disputes. To that end, the Department of Justice refers ADA

disputes to professional mediators specifically trained in the requirements

of the ADA. This mediation is provided at no charge, making Section 5 of

H.R. 620 unnecessary.

CONTINUE SUPPORTING EQUAL ACCESS AND OPPORTUNITY FOR BLIND AMERICANS WHILE

    ALSO AVOIDING WASTEFUL AND DUPLICATIVE PROGRAMS AT TAXPAYER EXPENSE.

                              Oppose H.R. 620.

For more information, contact:

Dylan Hedtler-Gaudette, government affairs specialist, National Federation

of the Blind

Phone: (410) 659-9314, extension 2210, Email: dhedtler-gaudette at nfb.org

                                 ----------

  The Marrakesh Treaty to Facilitate Access to Published Works for Persons

  Who Are Blind, Visually Impaired, or Otherwise Print Disabled (Marrakesh

                                  Treaty)1

    An international copyright treaty will give blind Americans access to

                                 millions of

   published works and improve the distribution of books around the globe.

      Millions of Americans are being denied access to published works.2

Despite the ability to convert print books into accessible formats like

Braille, audio, and digital copies, over 95 percent of published works are

unavailable to people with print disabilities.3 Literacy and equal

participation in society are critical elements of a fulfilling and

independent life, but until uniformity is built into the international

copyright system, blind Americans will be excluded from accessing published

works on terms of equality. A blind student seeking to learn Spanish will

likely struggle to find an accessible format in that language;4 a work

printed in English may have already been converted into an accessible

format overseas, but because copies are not exchanged across borders,

domestic entities might need to make a duplicate copy or just might deny

access altogether by failing to reproduce the work.

      An uncoordinated legal approach prevents the cross-border exchange of

accessible books. Unlike the United States, where copyright law includes

the Chafee Amendment and other exceptions,5 roughly two-thirds of the

world's nations do not have domestic copyright laws that permit making

copies for the blind, limiting the number of works available in an

accessible format. Moreover, many countries consider distribution of

accessible copies an infringement as well, and even amongst nations that

permit distribution, limitations vary. Instead of exchanging books across

borders, works are needlessly duplicated, and circulation is significantly

limited.

      The Marrakesh Treaty was adopted to achieve this goal. On June 27,

2013, a diplomatic conference convened by the World Intellectual Property

Organization, (WIPO) in Morocco adopted the Marrakesh Treaty with

enthusiastic support from the US delegation. The treaty, signed by the

United States on October 2, 2013, currently has eighty-eight signatories,

has been ratified by thirty-three countries,6 and has entered into force as

of September 30, 2016.7

      The Marrakesh Treaty has broad stakeholder support. Blind people

should have full and equal access to all works that enrich lives, further

education, and share critical information; the treaty balances this

priority with the interests of rights holders. WIPO's adoption of the

Marrakesh Treaty was supported by American-based companies,8 the

international publishing community,9 legal experts,10 and blindness

advocates.11 The treaty will have tangible benefits for all involved. This

is why the Senate must act swiftly to ratify the Marrakesh Treaty and why

Congress must pass its associated implementing legislation immediately.

   The Marrakesh Treaty calls for contracting parties to provide in their

national copyright laws for a limitation or exception that allows for the:

      Reproduction of works by an authorized entity for the purposes of

converting them into accessible format copies exclusively for beneficiary

persons

      Distribution of accessible format copies exclusively to beneficiary

persons

      Import of accessible format copies for the purposes of making them

available domestically

      Export of accessible format copies for the purposes of making them

available to a beneficiary person in another country

                REMOVE BARRIERS TO ACCESS OF PUBLISHED WORKS.

                Support ratification of the Marrakesh Treaty.

Phone: (410) 659-9314, extension 2206, Email: gcazares at nfb.org

Footnotes:

   1. Treaty to Facilitate Access to Published Works for Persons Who Are

      Blind, Visually Impaired, or Otherwise Print Disabled, June 28, 2013

      http://www.wipo.int/edocs/mdocs/diplconf/en/vip_dc/vip_dc_8_rev.pdf.

   2. World Health Organization, Fact Sheet, Visual impairment and

      blindness, http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs282/en/ last

      modified October 2017.

   3. World Blind Union, FAQ Sheets on UN and Human Rights Instruments,

      Marrakesh Treaty to Facilitate Access to Published Works for Persons

      who are Blind, Visually Impaired or Otherwise Print Disabled,

      http://www.worldblindunion.org/English/resources/Pages/Global-

      Blindness-Facts.aspx last modified August 2017.

   4. LaBarre, Scott. "Literacy Without Borders: The Road to Marrakesh,"

      Braille Monitor, August/September 2013. "Originally I had planned on a

      double major in government and Spanish. Ultimately I dropped that

      Spanish major precisely because I could not get access to Spanish

      novels and other materials."

      https://nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/bm/bm13/bm1308/bm130811.htm.

   5. 17 U.S.C. ' 121.

   6. World Intellectual Property Organization, WIPO-Administered Treaties

      webpage http://www.wipo.int/treaties/en/ShowResults.jsp?treaty_id=843,

      Last reviewed January 2, 2018.

   7. World Intellectual Property Organization, Marrakesh Notification No.

      21 Entry into Force

http://www.wipo.int/treaties/en/notifications/marrakesh/treaty_marrakes

      h_21.html, Last modified on June 30, 2016.

   8. Association of American Publishers, Statement on Completion of WIPO

      Treaty, Press Release, June 27, 2013.

      http://publishers.org/press/112/.

   9. International Publishers Association, Closing Statement by the

      International Publishers Association, 27 June 2013.

https://www.internationalpublishers.org/component/content/article?id=16

      6:publishers-welcome-wipo-marrakesh-treaty.

  10. American Bar Association, Resolution 100, August 11, 2014.

http://www.americanbar.org/content/dam/aba/administrative/mental_physic

      al_disability/2014_hod_annual_100%20Marrakesh.authcheckdam.pdf

  11. National Federation of the Blind, National Federation of the Blind

      Joins Stevie Wonder and World Blind Union Calling Upon International

      Negotiators to Conclude Successful Treaty for the Blind and Print

      Disabled, Press Release, June 24, 2014. https://nfb.org/national-

      federation-blind-joins-stevie-wonder-and-world-blind-union-calling-

      upon-international.

                                 ----------

                 A Report from the Blind Merchants Division

                               by Terry Smith

      From the Editor: One of the most successful employment programs ever

constructed for blind people was begun in 1934, has been expanded several

times, and is now known as the Randolph-Sheppard Program. It provides

facilities for blind people to manage, but with the increased success of

the program we have seen a number of challenges from those who would like

to have the opportunities blind people enjoy. One of our more active

divisions is the National Association of Blind Merchants, and here is a

report of its meeting at the Washington Seminar:

      The National Association of Blind Merchants is one of the largest

divisions of the National Federation of the Blind and was high profile at

this year's Washington Seminar. NABM President Nicky Gacos has taken the

opportunity to turn the gathering into a training opportunity for blind

entrepreneurs. He brought in several experts to speak to the group.

      One of the most interesting presentations was by representatives from

7-Eleven, which is one of the largest convenience store chains in America.

7-Eleven is interested in exploring ways that its national brand can be

used to enhance blind entrepreneurs' operations in government buildings.

Two concepts are being explored: One is what is called a micromarket or

small store. These are self-service operations where customers make their

selections from shelves and displays in the store and pay at a self-pay

kiosk. These are becoming increasingly popular in today's retail

marketplace. The second option is an operation that is manned by the blind

entrepreneur and/or his employees. The branded concept has the potential to

greatly increase profits for blind entrepreneurs and President Gacos is

committed to developing a partnership that works for both parties.

      David Fialkov, who is with the National Association of Truck Stop

Operators (NATSO), attended and talked about efforts to commercialize the

interstate rest areas. Such legislation would adversely impact blind

entrepreneurs who operate vending at the interstate rest areas. President

Trump supports rest area commercialization, and it is expected to be part

of his much-anticipated infrastructure plan. NATSO and NABM are part of a

coalition working against the initiative. Jason Eberstein with the National

Automated Merchandising Association (NAMA) spoke about issues blind

entrepreneurs have in common with the vending industry at large. NAMA is

also a member of the coalition opposing rest area commercialization. In

keeping with the DC advocacy theme, John Pari and Gabe Cazares with the NFB

Office of Advocacy and Policy stopped by to talk about joint advocacy

efforts underway with the Merchants Division.

      Jesse Hartle, Randolph-Sheppard specialist with the Rehabilitation

Services Administration, gave some statistics from the 2016 annual reports

filed by the state agencies. Hartle reported that the number of blind

vendors nationwide was down by sixteen to only 1,981, with one-third of

those being on federal property. Average income rose to an all-time high of

$63,505. The most interesting stat was that more than 50 percent of all

money spent by the states on Randolph-Sheppard was for management services,

most of which went toward paying agency staff.

      Other speakers included Andy Freeman of Brown, Goldstein & Levy who

spoke on a number of recent cases in which blind vendors were awarded

damages by arbitration panels and federal courts. This is a significant

development and offers hope for blind vendors who have their rights

trampled on by state agencies. Catriona Macdonald with the National Council

of State Agencies for the Blind spoke about a recent policy interpretation

by the Rehabilitation Services Administration that now requires state

agencies to get prior approval from RSA for any purchase that exceeds

$5,000. This has the potential of adversely impacting blind entrepreneurs

who have to operate without needed equipment while the purchase goes

through the lengthy approval process. Terry Smith, who heads up the

National Federation of the Blind's Entrepreneurs Initiative, spoke about

NABM's planned DC Fly-In May 22 and the Emerging Leaders Training that will

take place May 21-23. NABM is committed to a strong advocacy effort in DC.

      President Gacos is also committed to developing tomorrow's leaders;

thus, the third Emerging Leaders class. Jim Chico with USI, a vending

machine manufacturer, talked about new and improved vending equipment

hitting the market and opportunities for blind entrepreneurs. John Murn

with the RSA Management Group also spoke. His buying group gave out almost

$2 million in rebates to blind entrepreneurs over the last twelve months.

      It was a jam-packed agenda and represented another example of how the

blind merchants are bringing quality training to blind entrepreneurs.

                                 ----------

[PHOTO CAPTION: Kathryn Webster]

          A Report from the National Association of Blind Students

                             by Kathryn Webster

      From the Editor: Kathryn Webster is the president of the National

Association of Blind Students and you will easily observe that some of the

outstanding characteristics that got her elected are her ability to

inspire, organize, and articulate the hopes and dreams of blind students.

Here is what she says:

      The National Association of Blind Students (NABS) commenced the 2018

Washington Seminar with vibrancy, energy, and passion. Though many students

are left with no other choice but to attend academic classes, thus unable

to partake in the advocacy done in-person during Washington Seminar, we had

groundbreaking attendance this year! With over ninety-five students at our

annual Winter Seminar, NABS was full of excitement as we kicked off another

year of hard work, engagement, and most significantly, building the

National Federation of the Blind. Perhaps this year was exceedingly special

as we fought for equal access to education in the classroom through our

efforts with AIM HIGH (H.R. 1772), something our sighted peers may take for

granted, but our fellow blind students recognize as a sought-after right in

higher education institutions. Still, we are fighting and we are pushing

forward as we break down the misconceptions of society and bridge the gap

between potential and success.

      Our 2018 Winter Seminar was transformative, yet interactive,

something NABS is now incorporating into our national events. Our

membership spoke, and our leaders listened. No more are we tied solely to

lecture-style presentations. Instead, we incorporated a legislative seminar

coordinated by our NABS Legislative Advocacy Committee into our

festivities. This got students out of their seats, engaging in groups, and

fine-tuning their public speaking abilities. Students are the voice of our

future, and there's no better place to refine one's leadership skills than

alongside one of the proudest and most active divisions in the NFB. In

addition to students practicing professionalism and self-advocacy through

mock meetings, our leaders incorporated a friendly competition component,

awarding the most polished mock meeting participants with prizes.

      Beyond the legislative seminar during the winter NABS meeting, we

heard from the executive directors from our NFB training centers, advice

from a member of the national Scholarship Committee, a pep talk from our

national government affairs team, and more. The highlight of our Winter

Seminar was hearing from our national president, Mr. Riccobono, as he

kicked off the week with encouraging and enlightening words. President

Riccobono shared that students have the strongest voices in regards to AIM

HIGH, so it's up to us to get this bill passed! It cannot go without

mentioning how grateful the National Association of Blind Students is for

the generous support provided by President Riccobono and our national

treasury, as we financially assisted over thirty-five students in

attendance. Washington Seminar was the ideal spark to ignite what will be

an incredible year for our national student division.

                                 ----------

[PHOTO CAPTION: Chris Danielsen]

    Building the National Federation of the Blind Brand Part 2: The Brand

                                 Personality

                             by Chris Danielsen

      From the Editor: One of the people who has been very involved in

helping us to evolve our brand and to make it better known is our own Chris

Danielsen, a talented and energetic Federationist who works as our director

of public relations at the Jernigan Institute. Here is what Chris says:

      In the January issue of the Braille Monitor, my colleague Kirsten Mau

talked about what it means for the National Federation of the Blind to have

a brand and for all of us to live that brand in the work we do for the

organization. She closed her article by talking about the elements that

help us define the brand. These elements, taken together, are known as the

brand architecture. We can think of them as the pillars that support the

house that is our brand. As Kirsten said, the brand architecture is "the

internal framework that explains the components of our brand: our values,

our personality, our positioning, our value proposition, and our brand

promise. It is important that each of us understands and embraces these

components so that those outside the organization will know who we are,

what we value, why we exist, and what we intend to achieve."

      Wait a second. Personality? Yes, you read that right.

      On the face of it, the idea of a brand having a personality seems

unusual. We often think of personalities as being associated with people.

After all, the word "personality" contains the word "person." But we all

know from our own experience that personality isn't limited to people. Any

pet owner will tell you that her dog, cat, or parakeet has its own

personality; those with multiple pets can tell them apart by their

behavior.

      Brands have personalities too. If you think about it, most of the

brands we're familiar with expend a great deal of effort to convince us

that we should like them, not just because of what they make or sell, but

because of what it supposedly represents. Insurance companies want to

convince us that they are on our side and that they will help us out when

we need them. State Farm had an ad campaign in which individuals singing

the "like a good neighbor, State Farm is there" jingle magically summoned a

knowledgeable, helpful representative. Of course, this doesn't really

happen; the filing of insurance claims takes phone calls and paperwork, no

matter who you're dealing with. But State Farm was sending the message that

it would solve its customers' problems as soon as it was called upon.

Speaking of insurance companies, we don't normally think of dealing with

them as being fun. Yet GEICO, with its cute spokes-gecko and humorous ads,

wants to project a whimsical, fun image.

      The fact that the National Federation of the Blind has a personality

makes even more sense; we are, after all, a membership organization. By

definition, we are the sum of the people who are part of our movement and

who work together to accomplish our goals. The way that we interact with

each other, with potential members, and with the public puts the "person"

in our personality. With that in mind, let's examine the personality traits

that make us who we are.

Innovative

      The National Federation of the Blind isn't a bunch of blind people

complaining about our problems; we're an organization of problem solvers.

We created NFB-NEWSLINE. so that blind people can read the daily newspaper.

We developed KNFB Reader so that the blind can have instant access to

printed documents. We developed our BELL Academies so that blind children

who are not receiving enough Braille instruction in school can get the

extra Braille and nonvisual skill training they need. We created STEM

programs to pioneer ways that blind students can fully and accessibly

experience science, technology, engineering, and math courses. We designed

our own white canes and pioneered the Structured Discovery Method of

teaching cane travel and other blindness skills. When there are changes

that need to be made to laws or policies, we draft proposed legislation and

work with our elected representatives to get it passed into law. In these

and many other ways, we innovate to make the lives of blind people better.

      There's more to innovation than our national programs, of course. In

my local chapter, our president asks a chapter member to share a tip for

accomplishing some task as a blind person at each of our meetings. We talk

about things like cooking techniques, how to organize and/or label our

clothes, and how to get around safely when there's a lot of snow on the

ground. From these discussions, I know that we as blind people are

innovating in small ways every day.

Inspirational

      One of our missions as an organization is to raise expectations for

blind people; in other words, to inspire. Of course, the speeches we hear

from our leaders are inspiring, but there's more. Our positive philosophy,

and the examples our members set for each other, make blind people and the

public aware that more is possible for the blind than is generally

believed. In 2001, the National Federation of the Blind sponsored an

expedition in which a blind man, Erik Weihenmayer, climbed to the summit of

Mount Everest. Mr. Weihenmayer, an experienced climber, had set himself

this challenge. The point of our sponsoring his expedition wasn't that

every blind person could or should climb Mount Everest, but that blind

people can achieve whatever dream or goal is personally important to us.

      While projects like the Everest expedition are important, there are

thousands of examples of blind people inspiring each other taking place

throughout our organization every day. We inspire each other to pursue new

careers, to try new hobbies, to start a fitness regimen, or just to go to a

new restaurant in an unfamiliar part of town. This is how we lift each

other individually and blind people as a group.

Inviting

      So many stories of how and why people became Federationists start

with an invitation. In fact, my own story starts that way. I had never

thought about joining an organization of blind people, but while I was

participating in a summer program at the South Carolina Commission for the

Blind, one of my friends convinced me to stay in town one weekend and

attend the state NFB convention. This was nearly thirty years ago, and

while I don't remember all of the speeches that were made or the issues

that were discussed in great detail, I remember how people at the

convention made me feel. They were welcoming. They were eager to tell their

stories and to hear mine. We listened in the convention sessions and talked

about what we learned. We also caroused and "carried on" late into the

night. By the end of that weekend, I had learned a great deal, but I'd also

made some new friends and had a good time. The same thing happened, on a

larger scale, when I attended my first national convention two years later.

      I hear similar stories from other Federationists all the time, and

I'll bet you do too. For some, the first invitation was to a chapter

meeting, or to a social event, or just to visit another blind person who

happened to be a member. People have joined our organization because of a

dinner, or a drink, or a holiday party, or a conversation on a train or

airplane. They join because someone invited them to do so, or at least

invited them to learn more about us.

Powerful

      The last of our personality traits is unique in a couple of ways:

it's the only one that doesn't begin with the letter I, and it flows from

the others. If you forget it, though, you might think about another I-word:

influential.

      The National Federation of the Blind is powerful in a lot of ways,

but for this article I'll just point out that a lot of our power comes from

our other personality traits. Because we are innovators in the blindness

field, we are increasingly respected and listened to. Because we invite

people into our movement, our movement continues to grow. Because we are an

innovative, inspired movement of tens of thousands of blind people, we have

the power to make things happen.

      So, there you have it: our brand personality. Each of us amplifies

this personality by exercising its traits in our own lives and actions: by

inviting friends and potential supporters to learn more about us; by

innovating in our own small ways to lessen the inconvenience of blindness;

and by inspiring our blind brothers and sisters to believe in themselves

and to achieve more than they thought possible. Keeping these traits in

mind, and displaying them for others, is one of the many ways in which we

can "live" our brand.

                                 ----------

[PHOTO CAPTION: Jim Marks]

                       The Dentist and the Eye Doctor

                                by Jim Marks

      From the Editor: Jim Marks is known to many Federationists for his

work in the Montana affiliate, having served for several terms on its board

of directors and as the affiliate's vice president. For a number of years

he was a wise voice on the National Federation of the Blind Scholarship

Committee. For his paid work, Jim served as the director of disability

services for students at the University of Montana flagship campus in

Missoula and has long been an advocate for helping young people become

independent. He has been the treasurer of the Association on Higher

Education and Disability (AHEAD) and has been the chairman of the

organization's special interest group on blindness and visual impairments.

      In this article Jim discusses two trips: one to his eye doctor and

the other to his dentist. It turns out that his blood pressure was higher

when visiting the former than the latter, and many who have gone blind

under the care of a doctor will have a clue as to why. Few blind people

harbor long-term anger at their doctor because the medical community could

not preserve their sight, but many are angry because that community had

nothing to offer but the door when blindness was assured. Here is what Jim

has to say:

      They say the blood pressure cuff reveals a lot more than the numbers.

Sure proved true for me. In the last few weeks, I've visited both the eye

doctor and a dentist. Both took my blood pressure. At the eye doctor's, my

numbers were very high. At the dentist's, my numbers were very good. You

wouldn't expect this because there is little to fear at the eye doc's,

while the dentist often includes some uncomfortable procedures.

      So, here's the deal. The last time I visited the eye doctor was in

1985. I am blind, and the eye doctor could provide no treatment that would

improve my vision. My experiences with vision treatment were pretty good

except that the medical world knows nothing about how to function with

blindness and does nothing to educate itself or its patients. Sometimes,

eye doctors provide low vision aids, but these still focus on vision, not

blindness. When the treatments to preserve or improve vision fall short,

the eye doc has no rabbits to pull from the medical hat. When I first

became aware I was losing my vision due to an eye disease, I remember

placing a huge amount of faith in the abilities of the medical world to

keep me from going blind. At the time I internalized all the negative

prejudices and stereotypes about blindness. For me it was all about the

cure... at least hope for the cure. When my eye doc booted me to the curb,

that quest for the cure evaporated.

      I turned to the alternative techniques of the blind and positive

attitudes about blindness in order to live the life I want. That approach

was cemented deeply in my being, and the medical world insofar as vision

goes faded into my past. That is, it did until I recently needed to verify

my blindness as part of my application for Social Security Disability

Insurance. My blindness documentation dated back to 1982 when my eye doc

declared me legally blind and referred me to blindness vocational

rehabilitation services. My blood pressure numbers at the eye doc's

revealed that I harbor a great deal of emotion about the puny overlap

between medical vision treatments and blindness.

      For example, a technician at the eye doc's administered a field test.

I cannot see any of the flashing lights, so I sat through two cycles of the

test just waiting for the conclusion. Frankly, it pissed me off. My anger

came from those long dormant emotions and was not directed at the staff.

All were very kind and professional. But I am blind, and the way I define

my life really has very little to do with the medical world. So, my blood

pressure told the story, and I am still marveling at just how difficult a

simple visit to the eye doc was for me. I was my usual cheerful self on the

outside, but I was boiling on the inside.

      Now that the moment is behind me, I can reflect on it and understand

better who I am and where I am going. I won't be going back to the eye doc

anytime soon. Some blind people must do this to prevent abnormal eye

pressures and other health issues. I have cataracts on top of the retinitis

pigmentosa that causes my blindness, but I will not get them removed unless

a health issue crops up. Right now, I have light perception, but I am so

good at being blind that I own it, control it, and direct it. Being able to

see has very little to do with most of life's important endeavors. I choose

to be so positive that I forget I am blind. Anyhow, thanks for reading

through this wandering reflection.

                                 ----------

[PHOTO CAPTION: Ryan Strunk]

                           Well Digger's Wisdom

                               by Ryan Strunk

      From the Editor: Ryan Strunk is the newly-elected president of the

National Federation of the Blind of Minnesota. He is bright, energetic, and

insightful. He is also painfully honest, especially when it comes to self-

reflection. What follows is a speech he gave to the National Federation of

the Blind of Minnesota before he was elected:

      I attended my first NFB convention in 1990, my second in 1991. And I

was really proud of this fact. Never mind that my third was in 2001. It was

a real badge of honor for me.

      So in 2002, when I was introducing myself at the secret scholarship

meeting, I took that badge and pinned it right up on my chest to score

points with the committee. "I've been a member of the Federation for a long

time," I told that committee-and just as important-my fellow scholarship

winners. "I drank Federation juice and ate Federation crunch for

breakfast." I look back on that now, and I hate how arrogant and hollow

and, well, silly that sounded.

      Because first, let's be real. It's not a good joke. And Federation

Crunch would not be a good cereal. I mean, I could handle the white cane

marshmallows, and I could even eat Whozit, but I draw the line at biting

into a guide dog corn puff.

      Second, though, and way more important, who did I think I was? I was

born in 1983. Do the math. In 1990, while Dr. Jernigan was delivering "The

Federation at Fifty," I was in child care. In 1991, while Dr. Maurer was

"Reflecting the Flame," I was eating crab corn chowder at the chocoholic

bar at the top of the Hyatt Regency.

      I was listening to an interview with Cory Booker recently. You might

have heard of him. He's a senator from New Jersey. And in it he talked

about how he grew up a solidly middle-class black kid in the 1960s. He said

he had all these privileges that others at the time didn't, and it kind of

went to his head. So he's walking around one day all puffed up, and his dad

said something to him that struck a chord with me-this Chinese proverb

that's been rattling around in my head ever since I heard it. He said to

Cory, "Son, never forget. You are drinking from a well your ancestors dug."

      My parents figured out I was blind when I was six months old, and

since they didn't really have any idea of what to do, they threw themselves

on the mercy of Kim Bosshart, this pretty new teacher of blind students

with some pretty revolutionary ideas about how to teach blind kids: things

like put a cane in their hand when they're old enough to walk, teach them

slate and stylus before the Braille writer, teach them Braille even if they

have some residual vision.

      Incidentally, at the same time, the eye doctor I had as a kid was

telling my parents I could read two-inch tall print ... with a magnifying

glass. Kim, thankfully, knew better.

      She had me baking cookies at six years old, walking around the block

under sleepshades at seven, finding random addresses by knocking on

complete strangers' doors and asking for directions at eight. By junior

high I was ordering my own books and introducing myself to my teachers as

"blind." By the way, it was Kim who made me say "blind," even though I

wanted to use "visually impaired."

      We gave Kim Bosshart, now Kim Adams, the Distinguished Educator of

Blind Children Award in 1989, and for good reason. She was, and still is,

an amazing person.

      And I never really got that back then. I took for granted how hard

she worked, how all those evenings and weekends that I complained about

having to give up were evenings and weekends she voluntarily gave up. I

figured that my success was because of my hard work and my amazing brain.

But they wouldn't have meant a thing without someone to push me to work and

to fill up that brain with radical new ideas.

      You are drinking from a well your ancestors dug.

      Summers, when Kim wasn't around, I went to lots of summer camps.

There was SKIP, the Summer Kids Independence Program; there was PI, Project

Independence; and when I got older, there was Winner Fest, which was a

perfect time to hang out with girlfriends-I mean do awesome seminars on

blindness. All these programs were put on by the Nebraska Commission for

the Blind, but a whole bunch of the staff there were NFB members, blind

role models who reinforced all those same ideas I was learning from Kim.

      When we took a walk down the gravel lane at 5:00 in the morning to

experience the sunrise in the middle of the forest, it was blind people who

led the way. When we made foil pack dinners around the campfire, blind

people built and tended that campfire. When I got caught sneaking out to

spend time with my girlfriend, it was-no that didn't happen. No really. It

didn't.

      Anyway.

      I imagine Amy Buresh can tell you some stories. But that's the point.

Right? She was there, along with so many others, sharing her time and her

experience with me to shape me into a more confident, independent blind

person. Thanks, Amy, and please give my love to Shane, too.

      You are drinking from a well your ancestors dug.

      Mom. Of course mom did her part too. She was an active member of the

Nebraska Parents of Blind Children and the Lioness Club. She helped put on

golf tournaments and craft shows to raise money so that Nebraska blind kids

could have scholarships and get good technology. She drove me to those

summer camps, to the white cane banquets, and she held me accountable to

those same high standards that Kim and my blind role models had for me.

      And in 2002, when I won that scholarship, she called me in my room at

the Galt House Hotel in Louisville to tell me that she was downstairs in

the lobby, that she had come all the way to Kentucky because she was proud

of me and she wanted to support me.

      You are drinking from a well your ancestors dug.

      There comes a point, and it's one of my favorite things about our

organization, that someone comes up to you and hands you a shovel, and they

suggest that maybe you'd like to dig for a little while. For me, that first

opportunity came from Carlos Servan, he was the Nebraska affiliate

president at the time, and he suggested that I should run for president of

the Nebraska Association of Blind Students, even though I had no leadership

experience.

      And then it was Jason Ewell, calling me in 2002 to invite me to take

part in NFB Corps, where they dropped me in the middle of Seattle and

Knoxville and Burlington and Pensacola to build new chapters of the NFB. It

was Angela Wolf, inviting me in 2003 to serve as treasurer of the National

Association of Blind Students, and then calling me again in 2005 to tell me

I should run for president. It was Fred Schroeder in 2006, suggesting that

he could get me a sweet gig teaching Braille. All I had to do was pick up

everything I owned and move to Hawaii. No big deal, right? And all that

time I was learning and growing, starting to find my feet, those leaders

were right there. Encouraging me and offering me their wisdom.

      You are drinking from a well your ancestors dug.

      I learned something, in NFB Corps, in NABS, in Hawaii and Texas and

Minnesota. I learned just how incredibly lucky I had been. Because I met

people who didn't have the same opportunities I had.

      There was the forty-three-year-old woman in Hawaii who still lived at

home with her parents because they didn't believe she could ever live on

her own. She worked hard and she learned Braille, and after she graduated,

she worked in a sheltered shop.

      There was the senior support group in Florida, some twenty-odd people

who sat in a conference room every month and listened to magazine articles

on tape telling them that a cure was just around the corner. When Rachel

Olivero and I went to one of their meetings, we had the privilege of

hearing their president dole out this sage advice: "Men, let me tell you.

When you go over to somebody else's house, and you have to pee, sit down!"

And being green and wet behind the ears and drunk on independence, I

actually argued with the guy.

      There was the dad who lost his sight a year ago and wondered if he

could ever provide for his family again. There was the guy who went blind

when he was hit by a drunk driver who just wanted a job, the kid who

graduated valedictorian and never learned to tie his shoes or sign his

name, the college student full of promise who was too afraid to walk to

class-you know these stories! Maybe you even are one. And if you are, God

am I glad you're here.

      Stephen Jay Gould once wrote, "I am, somehow, less interested in the

weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that

people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and

sweatshops."

      I don't want to lose any more Einsteins. I don't want to lose any

more tenBroeks or Jernigans or Maurers or Riccobonos or Scanlans or Dunnams

or Jacobsens or Sanders or Baileys or Wenzels or Aunes or Heberts or anyone

else in this room because we weren't there.

      So here I am, and here is my promise to you. When you need my time or

my energy, you will have it. When you need my nights and my weekends, I

will give them and gladly, and if we ever have to fight because someone

wants to hold us back, bring it on.

      I have drunk from the well my ancestors dug, and I will never forget

that. I stand here with you now, shoulder to shoulder, digging the well

that blind children and blind seniors and all those who come after us will

drink from. My brothers, my sisters, let's work together to create a better

tomorrow. Let's go build the National Federation of the Blind.

                                 ----------

Leave a Legacy

      For more than seventy-five years the National Federation of the Blind

has worked to transform the dreams of hundreds of thousands of blind people

into reality, and with your support we will continue to do so for decades

to come. We sincerely hope you will plan to be a part of our enduring

movement by adding the National Federation of the Blind as a partial

beneficiary in your will. A gift to the National Federation of the Blind in

your will is more than just a charitable, tax-deductible donation. It is a

way to join in the work to help blind people live the lives they want that

leaves a lasting imprint on the lives of thousands of blind children and

adults.

With your help, the NFB will continue to:

    . Give blind children the gift of literacy through Braille;

    . Promote the independent travel of the blind by providing free, long

      white canes to blind people in need;

    . Develop dynamic educational projects and programs that show blind

      youth that science and math are within their reach;

    . Deliver hundreds of accessible newspapers and magazines to provide

      blind people the essential information necessary to be actively

      involved in their communities;

    . Offer aids and appliances that help seniors losing vision maintain

      their independence; and

    . Fund scholarship programs so that blind people can achieve their

      dreams.

Plan to Leave a Legacy

      Creating a will gives you the final say in what happens to your

possessions and is the only way to be sure that your remaining assets are

distributed according to your passions and beliefs. Many people fear

creating a will or believe it's not necessary until they are much older.

Others think that it's expensive and confusing. However, it is one of the

most important things you will do, and with new online legal programs it is

easier and cheaper than ever before. If you do decide to create or revise

your will, consider the National Federation of the Blind as a partial

beneficiary. Visit www.nfb.org/planned-giving or call (410) 659-9314,

extension 2422, for more information. Together with love, hope,

determination, and your support, we will continue to transform dreams into

reality.

Invest in Opportunity

characteristic that defines you or your future. You can live the life you

want; blindness is not what holds you back. A donation to the National

Federation of the Blind allows you to invest in a movement that removes the

fear from blindness. Your investment is your vote of confidence in the

value and capacity of blind people and reflects the high expectations we

have for all blind Americans, combating the low expectations that create

obstacles between blind people and our dreams.

In 2016 the NFB:

    . Distributed over seven thousand canes to blind people across the

      United States, empowering them to travel safely and independently

      throughout their communities.

    . Hosted forty-five NFB BELL Academy programs, which served more than

      three hundred and twenty-five blind students throughout the United

      States.

    . Provided over one hundred thousand dollars in scholarships to blind

      students, making a post-secondary education affordable and attainable.

    . Delivered audio newspaper and magazine services to 115,491

      subscribers, providing free access to over four hundred local,

      national, and international publications.

    . In the third year of the program, over three hundred fifty Braille-

      writing slates and styluses were given free of charge to blind users.

      Just imagine what we'll do next year, and, with your help, what can

be accomplished for years to come. Below are just a few of the many

diverse, tax-deductible ways you can lend your support to the National

Federation of the Blind.

Vehicle Donation Program

      The NFB now accepts donated vehicles, including cars, trucks, boats,

motorcycles, or recreational vehicles. Just call (855) 659-9314 toll-free,

and a representative can make arrangements to pick up your donation-it

doesn't have to be working. We can also answer any questions you have.

General Donation

      General donations help support the ongoing programs of the NFB and

the work to help blind people live the lives they want. Donate online with

a credit card or through the mail with check or money order. Visit

www.nfb.org/make-gift for more information.

Bequests

      Even if you can't afford a gift right now, including the National

Federation of the Blind in your will enables you to contribute by

expressing your commitment to the organization and promises support for

future generations of blind people across the country. Visit

www.nfb.org/planned-giving or call (410) 659-9314, extension 2422, for more

information.

Pre-Authorized Contribution

      Through the Pre-Authorized Contribution (PAC) program, supporters

sustain the efforts of the National Federation of the Blind by making

recurring monthly donations by direct withdraw of funds from a checking

account or a charge to a credit card. To enroll, visit www.nfb.org/make-

gift, and complete the Pre-Authorized Contribution form, and return it to

the address listed on the form.

                                 ----------

                   The 2017 National Convention from Afar

                           by Adrijana Prokopenko

      From the Editor: The National Convention of the Federation is the

largest annual gathering of blind people in the world, and participating in

it is a major highlight for Federationists and others as we come together

to discuss issues and shape the policy for the organization. Fortunately we

broadcast much of our convention, and people from around the world join us

in spirit. Adrijana Prokopenko is a teacher in Macedonia. English is not

her native language, but she does a wonderful job of communicating her

excitement and her suggestions for how she thinks things should be. Like

her Federation brothers and sisters in the United States, she clearly has

her own opinions and is anxious to express them. Here, with slight editing,

are parts of the diary she kept describing her participation in our 2017

National Convention:

                                  NFB Diary

July 10

      Excitement is in the air for many people going to convention and lots

more that can't go including me. Looking forward to finding out what is in

store. Making a list to make sure I have everything at hand while

convention is streaming so that I don't have to go out of the room looking

for things: water, ice coffee, snacks, mouthwash, cups, spoon, tissues and

wet wipes on the shelf, Brailler and Braille paper for taking notes next to

me, the phone near the computer on silent mode, doors closed to prevent

outside noise, Skype and Facebook opened for immediate communication with

members who are there on the spot.

July 11

      Some great presentations regarding technology equipment like OrCam

and Braille devices that have been improved over the years. The thought of

being able to access information as do the sighted with not much hassle is

great enough; just hope the price is right for everyone; otherwise, some

people may miss out on it again.

July 12

      Job fair seems to have brought some cool things, as someone

recommended my Facebook group to people from employment divisions, like

Lighthouse and different companies. I was even chatting live to someone

like that getting contact info of one of them to be able to email her with

more!

July 13

      Also lots of work today; trying to hunt down exactly the names of

companies that are out there so people can meet them live and get their job

ads and include them into my job group. Also following the progress of

convention from the stream and members who are already there posting on the

groups and to me privately. Lesson number one: Learning starts way back

from the past in the NFB history, and going deeper into this allows me to

understand the organization's philosophy and ideas better. Then there is

lesson number two: Real communication and connections with people can

always help, no matter if the information comes from an email list, a

magazine, or a conversation with an actual person. This would make the

learning complete!

      Everyone seems to be enjoying convention, including Ciera, the fearful

high school girl who thought that the NFB wasn't for her. NFB-related

messages spread on the groups big time! It is great they are opening the

stream thirty minutes early so we can feel the atmosphere and hear some

informal chat there! As Oriana enjoys exploring her dad's watch and feeling

overjoyed that she will have to announce the National Federation of the

Blind name to mark the start of the meeting, I could see how kids could

grow into the Federation and have fond memories of it. Practice from the

performing arts division in front of the veterans and more recognition for

their work from others and probably way more that happened during other

events that aren't streamed. And me being the student that I am, I keep

learning the NFB lessons as before, so lesson number three goes: stick to

being a Federationist in the true sense of the word, no matter how close or

far you live. And lesson number four goes: the NFB site always has

surprises, so keep checking and scrolling to find them.

      Even though advertisements about the Nation's Blind podcast didn't

appear anywhere before, I could find it from the audio link and start

listening to it to keep up with what is going on! Dick Davis had an

interview on 1520wbzw, so I had to spread the info far and wide beforehand

so people could listen in. Seems like the KNFB Reader is also expanding its

features to become even more accurate, and the brother of Victor Stream was

just born to help those who want to get it with mobility at the same time.

Feels very rewarding to be able to do all this work even from afar!

July 14

      Already getting replies from companies that they are joining my group

and supporting the idea, praying this would bring some cool things for

many. Lots of money talk at convention today, which made me feel inadequate

for not being able to provide any, but promising I will fix this next year.

If nothing else, I can send a door prize and surprise someone! As board

members got reelected and kept sharing their enthusiasm, others shared

experiences of growing up with blindness and lack of opportunities and how

they became the way they are to help others, which shows that if you really

want to do something, you can probably find a way to do it! Hopefully all

of this talk about discrimination will lead to less of it as we fight to

show we will stand up for ourselves and people come to understand that we

can do the things they do-especially being parents, students, and workers.

      So many wrong email addresses people gave at convention: glad I wrote

to them first to test before I spread the info out about the NFB-NEWSLINE

Echo testing, radio station interview, and job-related email address

information. So lesson number five may be: When people get excited, some

addresses can go wrong! Smile. Also glad that I subscribed to the press

release email list and presidential reports link; wish someone had told me

about these things way back when I became a member! Don't think any of this

was mentioned in the new member packet, and I think it would be useful for

any new member and anyone else who is truly interested in helping the NFB.

July 15

      An exciting day today-don't want to miss the banquet or anything else

by falling asleep, so dividing my sleep hours so I can stay up and listen.

What a great thing to hear that companies and organizations can work

together to achieve things, even if change is slower than we want and

things take time. Was impressed: no one said no at convention so far to the

president's words, which made me gain whole new respect for conventions

like this one because of this. If it was a roundtable in Macedonia, the

discussions would have probably gone nowhere, and everyone would have

blamed the other for all our problems.

      Prizes and awards going to deserving professionals once more, which

will probably bring many great things for them and the rest they are

connected to, to keep achieving greater things together and stay together

in the fight! What can be better than that?

      As the banquet gets going and prizes get drawn, finding out who gets

recognized for drawing in the largest number of people and raising the most

money, people cheering for certain individuals in their own state, loud

enough to hear even with the sound trouble! As Dr. Maurer gives little NFB

facts and stories from the past and lets people get ready for the main

thing, excitement builds about what is to follow. As singers start

introducing each other and invite everyone to join in, I can't help but

sing with them and pull the headset out of the computer for the whole house

to hear, not minding that it is 1 AM where I am! As songs go in a faster

mood, people get to clap and dance around in their limited space in the

crowd. As the video for the students' scholarship and sponsors starts, we

have a chance to learn more about everyone who is involved in the deal,

hoping that they will continue to support the organization as greatly in

the future. As students recite their little songs especially created for

the occasion and prizes get drawn, I can't help but suggest that it may

serve a great purpose if some of the money prizes are given in products and

not money, because this would benefit both the organization selling them

and the people who receive and need the products.

      With the banquet address starting and the room getting quieter, the

serious business starts that will hopefully give us the great address for a

greater tomorrow. As science and technology advance and take a great part

in blind peoples' lives if they are able to afford it, our power to change

things for a better tomorrow for us and our children is even greater than

ever if we possess all the skills and knowledge to be able to do this

nonvisually. As we stick together and share what we have and can do, it is

the only way that will bring us and many others forward.

      As this year's scholarship students come to shake hands with the

former and current president and the owner of Kurzweil and are further

greeted by all, let's hope that they will be the ones who will be the great

movers and shakers of the organization in the future.

                                 ----------

[PHOTO CAPTION: Ed and Toni Eames]

                             A Twisted Tail Dog

                            by Toni and Ed Eames

      From the Editor: Toni and Ed are well-known to members of the

National Federation of the Blind for their significant activism on behalf

of the rights of guide dog users. Ed died in 2009, and Toni continues her

strong activism on behalf of guide dog users everywhere. Recently she sent

us a note about the proper term for referring to the wonderful dogs that

help us move freely in the world. As a former guide dog user myself, I have

generously contributed to the problem that Toni addresses, but from now on

I will be on the straight and narrow. Here is the article she sends from

her and Ed:

      When The Seeing Eye was founded in 1929, trained dogs partnered with

blind people were referred to as guide dogs. Ten years later, when Leader

Dogs for the Blind was founded, guide dog was still used as the generic

term. When in 1942 Guide Dogs for the Blind was established, Leader and

Seeing Eye were concerned the generic term guide dog would be mistakenly

associated with this California-based school. Thus, the birth of the use of

the twisted term dog guide. In the intervening years, eleven more training

programs have been established, with six using the term guide dog in their

registered titles. Both major consumer groups, Guide Dog Users Incorporated

and the National Association of Guide Dog Users, have opted for the use of

guide dog. Even so, the term dog guide persists in some segments of the

industry.

      In interacting with other disabled people, it stands out like a sore

thumb to hear about hearing dogs, service dogs, and then dog guides. If we

don't put checks on this archaic usage, we could end up with the following:

      Once upon a time, a small dog lap came to live with the family Brown.

The Browns could not decide if he should be a dog house or a dog yard.

While mom and dad went to their office law and sister and brother were at

care child, the puppy entertained himself by chewing on the leg chair and

shoes leather. An even greater violation of etiquette dog was his chasing

the cat Siamese and getting into the litter kitty.

      After many transgressions canine, mom and dad came home one day and

threatened to convert their mischievous dog lap from a dog house to a dog

yard unless he mended his ways.

      One day a neighbor visited the Browns with her Retriever Labrador dog

guide. This coach canine became the puppy's mentor. Following the advice of

this mannered-well dog guide, the small dog lap lived happily after ever as

a dog house.

                                 ----------

[PHOTO CAPTION: Allen Harris]

              The Kenneth Jernigan Convention Scholarship Fund

                               by Allen Harris

      From the Editor: Allen Harris is the chairman of the Kenneth Jernigan

Fund Committee and was one of the people who came up with the idea of

honoring our former President and longtime leader by establishing a program

to promote attendance at the national convention, where so much inspiration

and learning occur. Here is Allen's announcement about the 2018 Kenneth

Jernigan Convention Scholarship Fund Program:

      Have you always wanted to attend an NFB annual convention but have

not done so because of the lack of funds? The Kenneth Jernigan Convention

Scholarship Fund invites you to make an application for a scholarship

grant. Perhaps this July you too can be in the Rosen Shingle Creek Hotel in

Orlando, Florida, enjoying the many pleasures and learning opportunities at

the largest and most important yearly convention of blind people in the

world.

      The three biggest ticket items you need to cover when attending an

NFB national convention are the roundtrip transportation, the hotel room

for a week, and the food (which tends to be higher priced than at home). We

attempt to award additional funds to families, but, whether a family or an

individual is granted a scholarship, this fund can only help; it won't pay

all the costs. Last year most of the sixty grants were in the range of $400

to $500 per individual.

      We recommend that you find an NFB member as your personal convention

mentor, someone who has been to many national conventions and is able to

share money-saving tips with you and tips on navigating the extensive

agenda in the big hotel. Your mentor will help you get the most out of the

amazing experience that is convention week.

Who is eligible?

      Active NFB members, blind or sighted, who have not yet attended an

NFB national convention because of lack of funding are eligible to apply.

How do I apply for funding assistance?

   1. You write a letter giving your contact information, and your local NFB

      information, your specific amount requested, and then explain why this

      is a good investment for the NFB. The points to cover are listed

      below.

   2. You contact your state president in person or by phone to request his

      or her help in obtaining funding. Be sure to tell the president when

      to expect your request letter by email, and mention the deadline.

   3. You (or a friend) send your letter by email to your state president.

      He or she must add a president's recommendation and then email both

      letters directly to the Kenneth Jernigan Convention Scholarship Fund

      Committee. Your president must forward the two letters no later than

      April 15, 2018.

Your letter to Chairperson Allen Harris must cover these points:

    . Your full name and all your telephone numbers--label them-cell phone,

      home, office, other person (if any).

    . Your mailing address and, if you have one, your email address.

    . Your state affiliate and state president; your chapter and chapter

      president, if you attend a chapter.

    . Your personal convention mentor, and provide that person's phone

      number.

    . Your specific request:

    . Explain how much money you need from this fund to make this trip

      possible for you. We suggest you consult with other members to make a

      rough budget for yourself.

The body of your letter should answer these questions:

      How do you currently participate in the Federation? Why do you want

to attend a national convention? What would you receive; what can you share

or give? You can include in your letter to the committee any special

circumstances you hope they will take into consideration.

When will I be notified that I am a winner?

      If you are chosen to receive this scholarship, you will receive a

letter with convention details that should answer most of your questions.

The committee makes every effort to notify scholarship winners by May 15,

but you must do several things before that to be prepared to attend if you

are chosen:

   1. Make your own hotel reservation. If something prevents you from

      attending, you can cancel the reservation. (Yes, you may arrange for

      roommates of your own to reduce the cost.)

   2. Register online for the entire convention, including the banquet, by

      May 31.

   3. Find someone in your chapter or affiliate who has been to many

      conventions and can answer your questions as a friend and advisor.

   4. If you do not hear from the committee by May 15, then you did not win

      a grant this year.

How will I receive my convention scholarship?

      At convention you will be given a debit card or credit card loaded

with the amount of your award. The times and locations to pick up your card

will be listed in the letter we send you. The committee is not able to

provide funds before the convention, so work with your chapter and state

affiliate to assist you by obtaining an agreement to advance funds if you

win a scholarship and to pay your treasury back after you receive your

debit or credit card.

      What if I have more questions? For additional information email the

chairman, Allen Harris, at kjscholarships at nfb.org or call his Baltimore,

Maryland, office at (410) 659-9314, extension 2415.

      Above all, please use this opportunity to attend your first

convention on the national level and join several thousand active

Federationists in the most important meeting of the blind in the world. We

hope to see you in Orlando.

                                 ----------

[PHOTO CAPTION: Lauren Merryfield]

                          Definitely the Cat's Meow

                            by Lauren Merryfield

      From the Editor: It is frustrating to realize that the sighted public

has real reservations about the ability of blind people to parent, but it

is also interesting to see that they have questions about how we take care

of our pets. Lauren Merryfield has no reservations about getting down and

dirty when it comes to talking about the care of her pets. It is obvious

that she is a cat lover, and it is also obvious that there is truth in the

saying that "Dogs treat you like royalty; cats treat you like staff."

Here's what Lauren has to say:

      I received my first kitten, a yellow-and-white kitty I named Fuzzy,

when I was around seven years of age. Back then, our cats were mostly

outdoor, so they came and went through the years, some of them not lasting

all that long. Eventually, a select few would find their way into our home

and be allowed there.

      After my first husband and I moved to our home, we received a kitty

as a housewarming gift. We had her for fourteen years. She eventually went

blind and needed insulin due to diabetes. No one commented all that much

back then about how I managed with cats, because there was almost always

someone around. But now that I am widowed and living alone, the questions

come:

      "How do you know where your cats are?" Most of the time, if they're

quiet and/or sleeping, I might not know where they are, but this does not

bother me. Cats do not always want their humans to know where they are.

When they want attention or food, they'll show up.

      "How do you get them in their carriers when you take them to the

vet?" I know my cats so I can often guess where they are. I pick them up,

and as they squiggle, I put them into the carrier. No, you do not have to

see to get your cat into its carrier. They may protest, but how does a

sighted person put their cat into the carrier when it is protesting?

      "How do you know when your cat is sick?" If the urine has a pungent

odor, I know one has a urinary tract infection. If they leave evidence of

an upset tummy, I know. If they are too warm, I know. When my Maryah was

panting due to difficulty breathing with fluid in her lungs, I knew. If

Toby isn't pestering me and is not sleeping, but hiding, then I know. Cats

hide when they are ill so that is the number one means I have of knowing

when they are ill and need help.

      I discover when they do not need help also. When I took Laynie in to

be spayed, resulting in an overnight stay, I put a soft kitty bed on the

floor where she could get to it easily. I even put a few treats there so

she could find them easily. After showing obvious happiness in being back

home after her overnight stay, I suddenly observed her climbing the patio

screen. As she was hanging there playfully, I realized that she would be

dictating how much pampering she would or would not receive from me.

      "What do you do if your cat has a fur ball?" Almost always, my cats

through the years have made it a practice to let their fur balls fly in my

pathway so that I will find them. I just clean them up. I usually go

barefoot at home so that I have a better chance of finding something on the

floor that needs attention.

      "How do you keep from tripping and falling on your cats' toys?" I

walk gingerly. I probably shuffle some of the time. Going barefoot once

again comes to my benefit in locating cat toys on the floor. When they are

playing with them, I can hear where the cat and the toy are.

      "What if another cat comes in from the outside?" Yes, that has

happened. One day my kitty at the time started growling and hissing. I

couldn't figure out what was going on at first until I heard similar sounds

coming from under the dining room table. A neighbor's cat had climbed up to

our balcony and when I opened the door, he/she sneaked in. Sneaking did not

last long.

      "How do you clean the cat box?" This may seem gross, but not only do

I use a pooper scooper, but also, I often use my hands covered with a glove

or a sandwich-sized bag to make sure the cat box is clean. This is not any

worse than changing a baby's diaper.

      The question I am asked most often is: "How can you tell your cats

apart?" This is an easy one for me. I am sometimes surprised that someone

would even ask. I know them by their tails, by their body shape, by their

meows, by the bell on their collar if they are wearing one, which toy(s)

they are playing with, because they have favorites, and by what they are

doing. If I hear one slamming the kitchen cupboard doors under the sink, I

know it's Toby. When something was knocked down, it was Maryah. When a cat

sneaked out and was gone for two or three days, it was Maryah.

      I remember the times when I would leave a Braille note on the table

and later find it on the floor, with "kitty Braille" added to it, and I

knew it was Kitten Kabootle, our Himalayan.

      When one meowed in such a way that it went up at the end like a

question, I knew it was Laynie. When I could hear a cat meowing frantically

from the window when I'd come home, I knew it was Jaspur. I similarly knew

it was him when he got out one Halloween night and he was a totally black

cat-not a good combination, Halloween and black cats. One meowing in a high-

pitched tone, getting louder if I do not respond immediately is Toby. He is

so gifted with his meows that I sometimes find myself responding to

scolding or whining. He is the only cat I've ever had who does this. If I

hear unwanted chewing, it is Toby. If I hear excessive scratching in the

wrong place, it is Laynie. One who often spoke in two meows, "meow meow,"

was Melissa. When I hear a crash from the trash can being tipped over it is

Toby.

      Some people, including some blind people, would say that a blind

person cannot be owned by a cat, however, I totally disagree. Cats always

figure out that I cannot see, however, they do not go into fear-mongering

as some humans do; they just work around it. Two of my cats would stand

with a small object I dropped, holding it between their front paws until I

located the cat, and then the item. They know that I touch the seat of my

chair before I sit down to prevent having a flat cat. They trust me to take

care of them, and how much I can or cannot see is not part of the equation.

They show the same unconditional love toward me whether I can see or not.

      At times, when I am asked questions that are born of doubt, I feel

like it is definitely not the cat's meow. However I also realize that these

are opportunities to stop and educate someone. For them to go uneducated

about what a blind person can do would definitely not be the cat's meow.

But when they discover how I live the life I want with my cats, then it is-

yes-the cat's meow!

                                 ----------

  Eligible Sprint Customers Can Get a KNFB Reader Enterprise License Free!

      Sprint customers who purchase a new line of service or eligible

upgrade through Sprint Accessibility will receive a free license to

download KNFB reader Enterprise on up to two mobile devices.

      If you are a new or upgrading Sprint customer, you may be able to get

the power to convert printed documents into speech or Braille instantly and

accurately at no extra cost! All you need to do is:

     1. Visit sprint.com/vision or a Sprint store to purchase a new line of

        service or eligible upgrade.

     2. Call (855) 885-7568 and ask a Sprint representative for KNFB Reader

        Enterprise.

     3. Sprint will provide you with the information you need to create a

        username and password that will activate your new KNFB Reader

        Enterprise license.

     4. Download the KNFB Reader Enterprise app from the Apple App Store,

        Google Play Store, or Windows 10 Store.

     5. When you launch the app, enter the username and password from step

        3 above, and you're all set!

      Please be sure to download the KNFB Reader Enterprise app, not KNFB

Reader for $99.99. The KNFB Reader Enterprise app is listed free in the app

stores and can be activated with your free KNFB Reader Enterprise License

from Sprint. KNFB Reader Enterprise allows users to enjoy the power of KNFB

Reader on multiple devices. Make sure that KNFB Reader Enterprise is the

app that you download onto your devices to take advantage of this offer.

KNFB Reader Enterprise works on Apple, Android, Windows 10 devices, and

Windows 10 laptops and PCs.

      You'll be able to use KNFB Reader on up to two devices with the KNFB

Reader Enterprise license that Sprint provides. Just download KNFB Reader

Enterprise on both devices and use the same username and password. For

example, you can download KNFB Reader Enterprise onto your Sprint phone,

and also to your Windows 10 laptop. Or onto both your Android phone and

Android tablet.

      To learn more about what KNFB Reader Enterprise can do, visit

www.knfbreader.com.

      Happy reading from the National Federation of the Blind and Sprint!

                                 ----------

                                   Recipes

      The At-Large Chapter of the National Federation of the Blind of Iowa

is celebrating its fifth birthday this year. One of the things we've done

to raise money for our chapter is compile a cookbook of some of our

favorite recipes. Here is a sampling of recipes from Food at Your

Fingertips. If these recipes whet your appetite, we still have a few

Braille cookbooks available for ten dollars per copy. For more info,

contact April Enderton, alenderton at gmail.com.

                            Blueberry Coffee Cake

                             by Nancy Finnestad

      Nancy lives in northwest Iowa. She works as a web accessibility

auditor. She likes to read and hike with her husband and little dog.

Ingredients:

1/2 cup butter, at room temperature

1 8-ounce package cream cheese, at room temperature

1-1/4 cups sugar

2 large eggs

1 teaspoon vanilla

1/3 cup milk

2 cups all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries

Topping:

1/2 cup brown sugar

1 teaspoon cinnamon

1/2 cup flour

3 tablespoons butter

      Method: Cream butter, cream cheese, and sugar. Add eggs, vanilla,

milk, flour, baking powder, soda, salt, and berries. Mix and spread in a

nine-by-thirteen-inch pan. Mix topping and sprinkle on coffee cake. Bake at

350 degrees for thirty to thirty-five minutes. Serves eighteen.

                                 ----------

                                Hot Fudge Pie

                             by Loren Wakefield

      Loren has been active in the Federation for over twenty-five years.

He serves on our chapter board. Loren and his wife Teresa are homeschooling

their grandchildren. Here is what Loren says about this recipe, "If you

love chocolate, this is for you. It is so gooey and delicious."

Ingredients:

1 stick butter, softened

1 cup sugar

2 eggs

1 teaspoon vanilla

3 tablespoons cocoa powder

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup all-purpose flour

      Method: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cream butter and sugar until

fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla; mix well. Add cocoa powder, salt, and flour.

Stir until well combined. Grease eight-inch pie pan with butter or cooking

spray. Pour mixture into pie pan. Bake thirty to thirty-five minutes or

until center is set.

                                 ----------

[PHOTO CAPTION: April Lynn Enderton]

                                 Pin Wheels

                           by April Lynn Enderton

      April is the president of the At-Large Chapter. She owns and operates

Beulah Reimer Legacy, (BRL) and works at United Way. She enjoys reading,

writing, camping, playing Scrabble, and listening to music.

Ingredients:

1 package large flour tortilla shells

2 8-ounce packages cream cheese

1 can green chilies, drained

4 slices ham or turkey lunch meat

      Method: Soften cream cheese in microwave. Dice lunch meat. Pour green

chilies and diced meat into cream cheese. Mix and spread thin layer over

tortilla shells. Roll and place in fridge until firm. Slice into one-inch

pieces.

      Variation: Mix one envelope ranch dressing mix into cream cheese. You

can use black olives or thinly-chopped green onions instead of chilies.

                                 ----------

                                 Salmon Loaf

                           by April Lynn Enderton

Ingredients:

1 16-ounce can salmon

1/2 cup milk

3 cups soft bread crumbs (I use 1 sleeve Club crackers)

1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted

3 eggs, beaten

2 tablespoons finely chopped green pepper

2 tablespoons finely chopped onion

1/8 teaspoon pepper

      Method: Drain salmon, saving the liquid, flake the fish. Heat milk.

Add bread crumbs (crackers) and butter, let stand five minutes. Add salmon

liquid; beat until smooth. Add eggs, green pepper, onion, pepper, and

salmon; mix well. Pour into well-greased loaf pan. Bake at 350 degrees for

forty to fifty minutes, until firm in center. Remove from oven, let stand

five minutes. Loosen from sides of pan with spatula, invert onto serving

platter. Makes six servings.

                                 ----------

                                 Scotcheroos

                              by Scott Van Gorp

      Scott is the secretary-treasurer of the At-Large Chapter, the

secretary of the state affiliate, vice president of the Des Moines Chapter,

and treasurer of the Amateur Radio Division of the National Federation of

the Blind. He enjoys reading, amateur radio, music, technology, and

spending time with friends and family. "The scotcheroos have been a

favorite in my family for as long as I can remember," Scott says. "I got

the recipe from my mother, and it quickly became one of the special things

my late wife, Heidi, and I enjoyed making together. It's been a great joy

to share these with people over the years, and now I'm proud to share this

recipe with my Federation family."

Ingredients:

1 cup sugar

1 cup white syrup

1 cup peanut butter

6 cups rice krispies cereal

1/2 cup chocolate chips

1/2 cup butterscotch chips

      Method: Spray a nine-by-thirteen-inch pan with Pam. Place sugar,

white syrup, and peanut butter in a glass bowl. Microwave 3-1/2 minutes,

stirring after each minute. Add rice krispies. Spread in bottom of pan. Put

chocolate and butterscotch chips in a bowl. Microwave 1-1/2 to 2 minutes.

Stir after a minute. Spread over top of rice krispies. Let set until firm.

                                 ----------

                                  Taco Pie

                                by Pam Quinn

      Pam enjoys reading, traveling, and anything technology-related.

Ingredients:

1 pound ground beef

1 16-ounce can refried beans

1 16-ounce jar salsa

2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

1 bag corn chips

      Method: Preheat oven to 250 degrees. In skillet, brown beef; drain.

Add beans and salsa; mix well. Spoon half of mixture into baking dish.

Place thin layer of corn chips over mixture. Sprinkle with 1 cup cheese.

Repeat layers. Bake fifteen to twenty minutes.

                                 ----------

                            Turkey Rice Casserole

                                by Tom Davis

      Tom serves on our chapter board. He enjoys reading, playing on his

computer, listening to his Victor Reader Stream, hunting, and grilling.

Ingredients:

2 cups instant rice

Any amount of leftover turkey you wish

1 onion, chopped

Whatever cheese you'd like to use and any amount you'd like

1 can cream of mushroom soup

1 can green beans, not drained

Salt and pepper to taste

      Method: Mix well until rice is no longer dry. Bake at 350 degrees for

an hour and fifteen minutes.

                                 ----------

[PHOTO CAPTION: Dolores Reisinger]

                               Zucchini Snack

                            by Dolores Reisinger

      For many years Dolores taught blind clients as a rehabilitation

teacher for the Iowa Commission for the Blind during the years Dr. Kenneth

Jernigan was its director. She lives in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, where she is

active in her church and organizes lots of Meet the Blind events in her

community.

Ingredients:

4 eggs, well beaten

1 cup Bisquick

2-1/3 cups parmesan cheese

1/8 teaspoon garlic powder

1 stick margarine, melted

3 cups thinly sliced zucchini

      Method: Mix all ingredients together and pour in a well-greased nine-

by-thirteen-inch pan. Bake at 350 degrees for thirty minutes. Let cool and

cut into squares.

                                 -----------

                             Monitor Miniatures

      News from the Federation Family

Anil Lewis Recognized:

      I am truly humbled and honored that the Baltimore Teachers Union,

Civil, Human, and Women's Rights Committee has chosen me to be the

recipient of the Barbara Van Blake Civil and Human Rights Award. My work

with the National Federation of the Blind has afforded me the opportunity

to actively engage in the educational, civic, social, and human rights

arenas, working to create opportunities for blind people to live, work, and

play as fully participating members of our communities.

      The Baltimore Teachers Union, Civil, Human, and Women's Rights

Committee will pay tribute to the legacy of Dr. King at its fourteenth

Annual Martin Luther King, Jr. Breakfast. The breakfast will be held

Saturday, February 3, 2018, at the Forum Caterers, 4210 Primrose Avenue at

8:30 AM. The theme for this year's breakfast is "The Dream is Still

Possible."

      I share this recognition with the 50,000 members of the National

Federation of the Blind.

Gain work experience, challenge yourself, and build relationships that will

last a lifetime:

      The Colorado Center for the Blind is now accepting applications from

positive blind role models to be residential counselors and classroom

instructors in our 2018 summer programs. We offer three programs for

students: Summer for Success College Prep Program, Earn and Learn High

School Program, and the Initiation to Independence Middle School Program.

      Staff must be available May 29 through August 10, 2018. Applicants

must be good role models, competent in the skills of blindness, well-

rounded, flexible, must possess excellent communication skills, and be

willing to lead by example. Must be excited to work with blind students

ages eleven through twenty.

      Challenge recreation is an exciting component of the job. Staff will

go rock climbing, hiking, canoeing, whitewater rafting, attend martial arts

classes, and much more. All staff and students will attend the week-long

national convention of the National Federation of the Blind in Orlando,

Florida.

      To learn more about our summer programs, please click the following

link https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-cl=84503534&v=6yBomtj12KU&x-yt-

ts=1421914688&feature=player_embedded#t=0

      If interested, please contact Martin Becerra-Miranda at (303) 778-

1130 extension 223 or via email at mbecerra at cocenter.org

David Andrews Receives Minnesota's 2018 MLK Commitment to Service Award:

      David Andrews, chief technology officer at State Services for the

Blind, is a recipient of Minnesota's 2018 MLK Commitment to Service award.

Andrews was recognized for his contribution to diversity and inclusion

through his advocacy for assistive technology, accessible web design, and

access to information.

      Among his many other accomplishments, Andrews was a part of a working

group whose efforts contributed to the adoption of accessibility standards

as passed by the Minnesota legislature in 2009. Dave has been on staff at

SSB for twenty-three years, and has worked in the field of accessibility

for nearly four decades.

      "This award not only honors Dave's dedication and tireless advocacy,"

said SSB Director, Carol Pankow, "but it also reflects the importance of

accessibility and access to information in building a strong and diverse

Minnesota. Along with the rest of the staff here at SSB, I congratulate

Dave on this important award." James Burroughs, chief inclusion officer for

the Governor's Office, presented Andrews with the award at the Ordway

Center in St. Paul at the Martin Luther King Jr. Day celebration on Monday,

January 15, 2018.

NFB BELL Academy Adds New Skills to Curriculum:

      The National Federation of the Blind (NFB) Braille Enrichment for

Literacy and Learning (BELL) Academy helps blind and low-vision children

ages four through twelve develop the literacy skills that will empower them

to be successful in their academic and life goals. This year, with the

assistance of our Wells Fargo partners, we will be focusing on the

development of financial literacy skills as well. In addition to Braille

instruction, the program provides instruction in other nonvisual blindness

skills through fun, hands-on learning in a day program or residential

setting. In addition to Braille crafts, games, and other engaging projects,

children learn vital independent living skills, interact with blind adults

who serve as mentors, and enjoy field trips to sites related to the NFB

BELL Academy curriculum. Through these activities and interactions, the

children learn that by "Banking on Blindness Skills," they can live the

lives they want. To learn more about NFB BELL Academy and to apply please

visit https://nfb.org/bell-academy.

National Association of Blind Merchants Day on The Hill:

      The National Association of Blind Merchants (NABM) and the National

Federation of the Blind Entrepreneurs Initiative (NFBEI) will be holding a

Day on The Hill on May 20-21, 2018. Please make arrangements to join us in

Washington, DC, so we can let our voices be heard and collectively protect

the priority.

      A bill has been introduced that will allow commercialization of

interstate rest areas and the President is promoting an infrastructure plan

that has been leaked, and we know for certain it includes the option for

states to commercialize their rest areas through public-private

partnerships. If this becomes the law of the land, almost 400 blind

entrepreneurs who operate vending at these rest areas could be displaced

almost instantly. Add to that the fact that several programs that rely on

funding from third party vendors would face financial ruin. We have to

continue our fight to prevent DOD from promulgating the proposed troop

dining rules and educate the Armed Services Committee in an effort to

thwart any attempt by AbilityOne to get language added to the National

Defense Authorization Act this year that would further weaken our priority

for troop dining. We must continue to put political pressure on the VA to

comply with the law. Now, burdensome OMB regulations are being imposed on

states that require federal approval of all purchases of over $5,000. This

will slow down purchasing to a crawl and dramatically impact vendors'

ability to make a living. We continue to get threats from the American

Heart Association that wants to mandate only healthier options to be sold

in our vending machines.

       This year, we will kick things off with some extensive training on

Monday afternoon, May 20th. John Pari and Gabe Cazares from the National

Federation of the Blind's Baltimore office will lead the training, and it

will focus on how to be an effective advocate on The Hill and in your

everyday lives. That training will begin at 3:00 and conclude by 6:00.

      To register to attend the Fly-In, go to www.blindmerchants.org.

Complete the registration form and submit. We will make appointments for

you with your members of Congress on Tuesday, May 21st.

      The host hotel will be the Marriott Key Bridge Hotel, 1401 Lee

Highway, Arlington, Virginia, 22209. You can see the agenda and book your

room at https://blindmerchants.org/day-hill-may-21-22-2018/. You may also

call 703-524-6400 and ask for the NABM Fly-In rate which is $199.00. We

have a block of rooms for the nights of May 19, 20, and 21.

      The Randolph-Sheppard Program is under attack. Help us defend it.

Register now!

2018 Summer Training and Employment Project (STEP) Program Striving for

Success:

      Since 1985 the Louisiana Center for the Blind has been changing what

it means to be blind for adults from across America. In 1990, a program was

created to address the needs of blind high school students. The Summer

Training and Employment Project (STEP) Program is designed to introduce

blind teenagers to positive blind role models and to provide participants

with summer work experience.

      The eight-week summer program will consist of two components. During

the first part of the program, competent blind counselors will instruct the

students in the alternative techniques of blindness. Classes in Braille,

cane travel, computer literacy, and daily living skills will be taught by

qualified blind instructors. In addition, seminars will be conducted in the

areas of job readiness, job interviewing skills, resumi writing, and job

responsibilities. The second part of the program will continue all aspects

of training and expand to include an employment dimension. Students will

have the opportunity to participate in 40 hours of internship experience-

for which they will receive the Federal minimum wage. Students will be

introduced to a broad spectrum of career possibilities as they explore

postsecondary options.

      The combination of work experience and blindness-related skills-along

with fun-filled activities such as cookouts, swimming, mall excursions, and

various other outings-will foster self-confidence and independence in blind

teens. From July 3 through 8, students will attend the National Convention

of the National Federation of the Blind in Orlando, Florida. This exciting

conference will allow them to meet thousands of competent blind people from

across the country. The students will also have the chance to participate

in a wide variety of informative seminars and youth-oriented social and

other activities. At the close of the program, parents will be required to

attend a Parents' Weekend which will enable them to discover how much their

children have learned throughout the summer. The STEP program is designed

to provide invaluable work experience, friendships, opportunities for

personal growth, and cherished memories.

      Training will begin June 10 and conclude August 4. We recognize that

there may be some overlap between the start and/or conclusion of our

program and school district dates. If accepted, we are happy to coordinate

with a student's school district in this regard. Please visit

www.louisianacenter.org to learn about more program specifics and to

complete an application.

      Due to limited space, we cannot guarantee that every applicant will

be granted enrollment, and applicants must have an open case with their

state's vocational rehabilitation agency or other funding entity to cover

program costs.

      Questions? Please call our director of youth services, Eric Guillory

at (800) 234-4166 or email him at eguillory at louisianacenter.org. "Together,

we are changing what it means to be blind." Check out STEP and find out

how.

BUDDY PROGRAM 2018: Putting the Pieces Together

      Come and join us for a summer of fun and learning! Since 1989, the

Louisiana Center for the Blind has offered an innovative summer program for

blind children in grades four through eight. This summer, the Buddy Program

promises to be full of learning opportunities, new friendships, and fun-

filled activities.

      Many blind children have misconceptions about their blindness due to

the lack of positive role models and to the negative stereotypes about

blindness in society. Unlike other summer programs for blind children, the

Buddy Program is directed and staffed by competent blind adults. Classes in

cane travel are taught to instill independence and self-confidence. The

knowledge of Braille enables the blind child to compete on terms of

equality with sighted peers in the classroom and provides a solid

background in spelling and other grammatical skills. Classes in access

technology expose students to available mainstream and adaptive solutions.

Daily living skills instruction promotes equal participation in household

duties such as cooking, shopping, and cleaning. In addition to learning

valuable alternative techniques of blindness, children will enjoy

participating in a wide variety of exciting activities such as swimming,

camping, bowling, rollerskating, and field trips.

      The combination of hard work and fun activities will provide a

rewarding experience that children will cherish. Involvement in the Buddy

Program helps them realize that it is not blindness that holds them back.

Rather, it is the negative attitudes and misconceptions about blindness

that may prevent them from reaching their potential. At the close of the

program, parents are REQUIRED to attend a Parents' Weekend. This weekend

will allow them to interact with other parents of blind children and to

learn what their children have discovered about their blindness and

themselves. Friendship, training, fun, growth, and interaction between

blind children and positive blind role models is how the Louisiana Center

for the Blind is "changing what it means to be blind."

      The Louisiana Center for the Blind will sponsor one session of the

Buddy Program in 2018. Program dates are July 15 through August 4. We

recognize that there may be some overlap between the conclusion of our

program and school district dates. If accepted, we are happy to coordinate

with a student's school district in this regard.

      Perhaps we will have the opportunity to work with your child this

summer. We know it will be a memorable experience for both you and them.

All interested families should visit www.louisianacenter.org for more

details and to apply. Please also feel free to contact our director of

youth services, Eric Guillory before April 20. Please email Eric at

eguillory at louisianacenter.org or call (800) 234-4166.

      Due to limited space, we cannot guarantee that every applicant will

be granted enrollment. Please note that the fee for students not from

Louisiana is $1,000-which is all-inclusive save for transportation to and

from the program. The fee for Louisiana students is $500.

NFB EQ:

            The National Federation of the Blind Engineering Quotient (EQ)

program is a weeklong summer engineering program for blind and low-vision

teens from around the country that will run July 29 through August 4.

Throughout the week participants will forge new friendships while

increasing their engineering knowledge, problem-solving abilities, self-

confidence, and independence. Blind and low-vision teens who are ready to

learn new things, meet new people, and have an adventure this summer are

encouraged to apply to attend the NFB EQ program. To learn more visit:

http://www.blindscience.org/nfbeq.

Session Dates for 2018 Summer Programs at BLIND, Inc:

      Dates for summer programs at BLIND, Inc are as follows:

    . Post-secondary Readiness Empowerment Program (PREP) June 16 through

      August 11

    . Buddy Program July 22 through August 11

    . Summer Transition Youth Learning Experience (STYLE)-Students can

      choose to participate in one, two, or all three of these sessions!

         o Week 1: July 23 through 27

         o Week 2: July 23 through August 3

         o Week 3: July 6 through August 10

      Please contact Michell Gip, youth services coordinator at (612) 872-

0100 ext. 231 or mgip at blindinc.org if you have any questions or would like

an application.

Summer Programs at the Colorado Center for the Blind:

      CCB offers three summer residential programs for students in middle

school, high school, and college prep. The students live with counselors in

two-bedroom, 1= bath apartments located near the Center and will work on

all aspects of managing an apartment. Students will also use public

transportation to travel to and from the Center each day.

      We place a big emphasis on challenge recreation activities such as

whitewater rafting, rock climbing, canoeing, martial arts, science, and a

variety of other events. All programs share the core classes of Braille,

cane travel, daily living skills, technology, and philosophy of blindness.

Summer for Success College Prep Program

      The College Prep class seeks to instill a sense in each student that

they can and should take charge of their education in college and beyond.

The program introduces students to the student-initiated world of the

college Disability Services office and "reasonable accommodations," as well

as the increasingly digital learning environment. We impart concepts and

develop skills to assist the student in finding success in their studies.

They will learn about their civil rights in college, as well as multi-tool

strategies for obtaining their own accessible formats of textbooks and

other instructional materials. Here, the emphasis will be on assistive

technologies and textbook resources. We'll also cover access to science and

math, research databases, and use travel skills to visit several campuses

in the Denver Metro area.

Earn and Learn High School Program

      This eight-week residential program serves students age fourteen and

older. Not only do these students take the core classes, but they have the

opportunity to participate in exciting, paid work experiences. We work to

match students with jobs they find both interesting and challenging, and

they travel to and from their jobs with an assigned summer counselor. It is

exhilarating for the students to get their first paycheck.

Initiation to Independence Middle School Program

      This is a three-week residential program for students age eleven to

fourteen. In addition to participating in the core curriculum, students

will meet successful working adults in order to learn about various

professions. These students are excited to have so many new experiences in

just three short weeks!

      For more information and applications please contact Brent Batron,

director of youth programs at bbatron at cocenter.org.

Post-secondary Readiness Empowerment Program (PREP) 2018 applications are

due:

      Apply today to PREP 2018, a summer program for all blind/low vision

high school students! This program is designed to prepare students to reach

their personal, academic, and professional goals as they transition to

adulthood. The PREP curriculum empowers blind youth as they learn the

alternative techniques of blindness and develop the self-confidence needed

to become successful adults!

      The core classes include Braille reading and writing, independent

cane travel, adaptive technology, career exploration, and home management.

This program includes a three-week paid internship experience. Students

will utilize the skills they have developed while earning minimum wage,

working approximately twenty hours per week in local businesses and

agencies.

      The program will run June 16 through August 11. Contact Michell Gip,

youth services coordinator, at (612) 872-0100, ext. 231, or

mgip at blindinc.org for more information or an application.

Krafters Division Craft Extravaganza:

      The Krafters Division is sponsoring a Craft Extravaganza on Sunday,

March 18, 2018, between 2 and 5 PM central time. We will host a variety of

crafts. Each class will last no more than forty-five minutes. Classes

offered are: origami box, dipped cherries, duct tape project, bath bombs,

and flowers. Come and join us! Log on to www.kraftersKorner.org for more

information.

                                  In Brief

      Notices and information in this section may be of interest to Monitor

readers. We are not responsible for the accuracy of the information; we

have edited only for space and clarity.

Summer Employment at BISM:

      Have you thought about how you will spend your summer? Are you

looking for a fulfilling job working with students to improve their skills

and confidence? If so, Blind Industries and Services of Maryland (BISM)

wants to hear from you! BISM is currently looking for independent,

confident role models ready to teach and mentor high school and middle

school students from across the nation.

When:

Staff training: Thursday, June 7 to Friday, June 15, 2018

Work to Independence Program: Saturday, June 16 to Saturday, August 4

Independence 101 Program: Friday, July 20 to Saturday, August 4

Staff Departure Date: Sunday, August 5

Where:

      Apartments on a college campus in Baltimore County, and classrooms at

the Blind Industries and Services of Maryland Baltimore headquarters

Who should apply?

Anyone with:

    . Knowledge of the alternative techniques of blindness (Braille,

      assistive technology, cane travel, and independent living)

    . Basic knowledge of structured discovery teaching methods

    . Effective verbal and written communication skills

    . High school diploma or equivalent

    . A positive attitude about blindness and a desire to mentor and

      motivate youth

    . Energy and enthusiasm

What will you get for your work?

    . The opportunity to make a difference in the lives of youth nationwide

    . A summer jam-packed with fun activities and new experiences

    . CPR and First Aid certification

    . Compensation in the amount of $4,000.00

      All the information you need can be found on our website:

www.bism.org/youth.

      Please read through our 2018 Youth Services brochure and download a

staff application. Application submissions must also include a current

resumi.

      For questions, or to apply, please contact Melissa Lomax at

MLomax at bism.org, or (410) 737-2642.

The DAISY Consortium Continues to Innovate for the Blind:

      The DAISY Consortium is delighted to announce the launch of Ace by

DAISY, the groundbreaking free and open source accessibility checking tool

for ebooks created in the widely adopted EPUB format. Ace by DAISY equips

the publishing industry with a tool which can test their ebooks against

internationally recognized standards for accessibility. Designed to assist

content providers at any stage in their workflow, Ace by DAISY will make it

easier to produce higher quality, more accessible EPUB content files.

      The full press release can be accessed at

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2018/01/prweb15141305.htm. For further

information on Ace and how to get started, see

https://inclusivepublishing.org/toolbox/accessibility-checker/.

      Please help us to promote this major step forward in accessible

publishing!

Leader Dog's Summer Experience Camp-Making Teens Unstoppable!

      Summer Experience Camp is a week of outdoor fun, friendship, and

skill building. The program combines activities like rock wall climbing and

tandem biking with leadership building exercises and things exclusively

Leader Dog-GPS training and spending time with Leader Dogs in training. The

combination helps increase independent travel skills, interpersonal skills,

and leadership skills. The free program is for boys and girls ages sixteen

and seventeen who are legally blind. Leader Dog covers all costs including

airfare to Michigan-and everyone receives a free HumanWare Trekker Breeze+

GPS device. The 2018 camp dates are June 23 through June 30. Applications

are due by March 31, 2018.

      For more information and to download an application, go to

www.leaderdog.org/clients/programs/summer-experience-camp or call the

Leader Dogs for the Blind client services department at (888) 777-5332.

                                 ----------

                                Monitor Mart

      The notices in this section have been edited for clarity, but we can

pass along only the information we were given. We are not responsible for

the accuracy of the statements made or the quality of the products for

sale.

Wanted:

      I am interested in purchasing a Voice Mate. Call Ray at (863) 993-

2997. I will pay a good price.

                                 ----------

                                 NFB Pledge

      I pledge to participate actively in the efforts of the National

Federation of the Blind to achieve equality, opportunity, and security for

the blind; to support the policies and programs of the Federation; and to

abide by its constitution.

Forwarded by:

Brian A. Mackey

Brian A. Mackey
Owner, Mackey Enterprises, LLC
Treasurer & Webmaster, National Federation of the Blind of New Jersey
Webmaster, National Federation of the Blind of Delaware, Pennsylvania,
Nevada, & Illinois
Member, National Federation of the Blind (NFB) Blind Users Innovating &
Leading Design (BUILD) Team
609-680-8488
 <mailto:Bmackey88 at gmail.com> Bmackey88 at gmail.com
 <http://www.mackeyenterprisesllc.com/> www.mackeyenterprisesllc.com

"Happy are those who dream dreams and are willing to pay the price to make
those dreams come true"
      -Vince Papale