[NFBNJ] Save the Date BELL Academy Please Share

joe ruffalo nfbnj1 at verizon.net
Wed Mar 28 03:32:09 UTC 2018

Greetings to all!
It’s that time again to promote the National Federation of the Blind of New
Jersey’s successful BELL Academy to be held from Monday, July 16 through
Friday, July 26, 2018.

Mary Jo, coordinator of the BELL Academy has offerd valuable information to
share with all on this distribution list, with parents, teachers, CBVI staff
and with others.  Promotion is the key!Always, thanks for your support!

nfbnj1 at verizon.net

***

Subject: Save the Date BELLAcademy Please Share

SAVE THE DATES

The bells will be ringing again as the National Federation of the Blind of
New Jersey (NFBNJ)  sponsors its fifth Braille Enrichment through Literacy
and Learning (BELL)Academy which will be held on weekdays from 9:00 A.M. to
3:00 between July 16 and 27, 2018.    at the Puerto Rican Association for
Human Development located at 101 First Street in Perth Amboy, NJ.  Parents
will be required to transport their children to and from the facility each
day and to provide them with lunch, unless otherwise specified.  There is no
cost or registration fee for children to attend this program.

The purpose of the BELL Academy is to provide instruction in Braille and
Activities  of Daily Living (ADL) to children aged four through twelve who
previously lacked the opportunity or minimal exposure to these key skills
which will help them in their educational and future development.  High
lights of last year’s program include: working with model trains, building
toolboxes, enjoying hands-on activities at the Turtleback Zoo, building
motorized cars and helicopters with Legos, playing goalball, and
participating in  scientific experiments pertaining to chemistry and
magnetism.

Besides learning their lessons, the children will have a chance to form
friendships with the students in their classroom and will have the
opportunity to interact with sighted children who attend the PRAHD’s own
summer program. Blind mentors and volunteers will work with the children
and provide excellent role models, keeping expectations high and proving
that blindness is not the characteristic that define their future.  The goal
of the BELL Academy is to enable the children to live the lives they want
through upbeat and positive attitudes, skills, and experiences provided by
BELL staff.

To complete or review the BELL Academy application for 2018, please visit
https://nfb.org/BELL-student-application-form
<https://nfb.org/BELL-student-application-form>  You can also read the
Affiliate-Specific Frequently Asked Questions brochure for New Jersey at
https://nfb.org/BELL-Academy/FAQS-affiliates-New
<https://nfb.org/BELL-Academy/FAQS-affiliates-New> Jersey.  For more
information, please contact Mary Jo Partyka, our State Coordinator, at
choirnfb at gmail.com <mailto:choirnfb at gmail.com> or by phone at 609 888-5459.

Mary Jo Partyka
choirnfb at gmail.com