[NFBNJ] Notes from NFBNJ President Joe Ruffalo, May 2018

joe ruffalo nfbnj1 at verizon.net
Fri May 18 18:01:27 UTC 2018

Greetings to all!

Please review the following notes for May, 2018.

I invite all to visit the state website at www.nfbnj.org
<http://www.nfbnj.org> .

This site is updated frequently and therefore, your visiting and your
thoughts are requested as we continue to provide educational, motivational
and inspirational information to raise expectations to live the life we
want!

Remember our veterans this memorial   Weekend and Day!

respectfully,

Joe Ruffalo, President

national Federation of the Blind of New Jersey

973 743 0075

nfbnj1 at verizon.net <mailto:nfbnj1 at verizon.net>

www.nfbnj.org <http://www.nfbnj.org>

***

Items of Interest:

1.    National Convention, General Info
2.    Braille Monitor
3.    Sounding Board
4.    Summer Challenge
5.    Surfing Long Branch

1.    General information about the national convention, including hotel
details, can be found on https://nfb.org/convention. Please note that
pre-registration for the convention closes on May 31st.

****

2. Braille Monitor:

Dear Colleagues in this fantastic movement we share:

I am asking for your help in your role as a chapter and or division
president. You are the key to good communication, and I am in the business
of communicating. I hope you will talk with your chapter/division  about the
Braille Monitor. Believe it or not, the flagship publication of our
Federation has a name that people know, but too many people do not receive
it.

What is the Braille Monitor? It is your magazine. We share what's going on
in the Federation. We talk about the problems blind people face and how they
have gotten around them. Why are there so few blind people in the theater
and on television. The Braille Monitor has been explaining the problem and
looking to the hearts and minds of our people to figure out how to crash
through this glass ceiling. When do simulations of blindness help and when
do they hurt us? This we have been exploring in the pages of the magazine
you and I share. What is it like to feel afraid to travel, and how does it
feel when you realize you can? Your magazine tells this story again and
again, both because it is an important story and because there are so many
variations of it that reach the hearts of blind and sighted people.

Please subscribe to your magazine. You can get it in Braille, in print, or
on a thumb drive with recorded audio in a great human voice. You can read it
on NFB-NEWSLINE, through email, on the web as HTML, or on the web as audio.
We make each issue a podcast you can find by searching for the Braille
Monitor.

How do your members  subscribe? Start by sending an email to
publications at nfb.org <mailto:publications at nfb.org>  and telling us whether
you want Braille, audio, print, or email. We will see that you get the
Braille Monitor in the form you desire. Please provide your name, address,
phone number, email and preferred media. Don't forget that we also want your
contributions. Send them to me by writing to gwunder at nfb.org
<mailto:gwunder at nfb.org> . You may also call me at 410-659-9314, extension
2360.

We enjoy a common bond in the Federation, and our joint effort works best
when we share our knowledge, our hopes, and our dreams. Our magazine tries
to do this, and we need you as readers and contributors. Thank you for
inviting me into your chapter/division  meeting and for giving me the time
to ask that you talk about and subscribe to the magazine that is for you and
depends on your readership and your written contributions.

Warmly,

Gary Wunder, editor

gwunder at nfb.org <mailto:gwunder at nfb.org>

****

3. The Sounding Board is the magazine of the National Federation of the
Blind of New Jersey. It is published every spring and fall. The magazine is
filled with educational, motivational and inspirational news from our
members and others in the blindness field. Through The Sounding Board, our
members can keep current with local, state and national news and issues of
concern. We also aspire to provide a source of hope, inspiration, pride and
camaraderie through the personal stories in our publication. We encourage
our readers to share The Sounding Board with family members, teachers,
professionals, neighbors, friends and any other interested parties. We
estimate our circulation to be in the thousands, as readers from across the
country regularly report that The Sounding Board influences their lives. The
publication is available via email and Newsline, and can also be downloaded
in its entirety from www.nfbnj.org/sounding-board
<http://www.nfbnj.org/sounding-board> .

The deadline for the Fall 2018 edition is September 15th. Please submit
articles to Kathy Gabry, editor, at  specialk38 at aol.com
<mailto:specialk38 at aol.com>  and Joe Ruffalo, NFBNJ President, at
nfbnj1 at verizon.net <mailto:nfbnj1 at verizon.net> . Advertisements should be
submitted to Barbara Shalit, advertising manager, at
barbart at tullensound.com <mailto:barbart at tullensound.com> . Advertising rates
are $25 for a half page and $40 for a full page. Please note that the
editorial staff will determine whether the article or advertisement will be
printed, and reserves the right to edit all articles and advertising for
space and/or clarity considerations.

To receive a copy of The Sounding Board via email, please forward a message
to Brian Mackey at bmackey88 at gmail.com <mailto:bmackey88 at gmail.com>  or to
Joe Ruffalo at nfbnj1 at verizon.net <mailto:nfbnj1 at verizon.net> .

In the subject, please provide the following.

Sounding Board Subscription. In addition to receiving The Sounding Board,
you will receive a wide variety of information sent from the state affiliate
(such as announcements regarding our state convention), and materials sent
from the national office of the National Federation of the Blind located in
Baltimore, Maryland.

Download the current issue of The Sounding Board:

*          <https://www.nfbnj.org/Sounding%20Board/2018/SBSpring2018.doc>
The Sounding Board, Spring 2018 (Word)

*          <https://www.nfbnj.org/Sounding%20Board/2018/SBSpring2018.pdf>
The Sounding Board, Spring 2018 (PDF)

****

4.  The Sports & Recreation Division of the NFBNJ Launches their Summer Get
Yourself Moving Personal Challenge

Is there something new you’ve always wanted to try but just never made the
time for it? Would you like to resume something that you haven't done for
some time? Then sign up for our first-ever Sports & Recreation Division
NFBNJ Summer Get Yourself Moving Personal Challenge which will run from June
1 to June 30, 2018.

Your challenge does not have to be sports related. It can be an activity
such as completing the reading of a book, attending a chapter or division
meeting, going to coffee after a chapter meeting with a new or inactive
member, reconnecting with a friend over lunch, seeing a show, or achieving a
personal goal. A suggested NFB Recommended Reading List will be sent to
registered participants.

Interested? Click on the link below to register. Also, kindly consider
sharing this challenge with other blind or vision impaired individuals so
they can enjoy partaking in this opportunity as well.

https://www.nfbnj.org/sports-recreation-summer-challenge-registration-form

****

5. Surfing Long Branch

Request for distribution from Michael Benson, Co-Founder of Visual
Experience and a member of the Sports and Recreation Division NFBNJ.

Surfing in Long Branch The following information is being forwarded by
Sports and Recreation Division of the NFBNJ as a courtesy, in accordance
with our continued efforts to share information that may be of interest or
of benefit to individuals who are blind and vision-impaired.

Raising Expectations; Transform Your Dreams Into Reality!

On Saturday, August 18, 2018, the Vision Experience Foundation will again
present an opportunity for people who are blind and vision impaired to
experience surfing at the Long Branch waterfront.

Registration is open to those who are Blind, Legally Blind, and those
diagnosed with severe vision impairment.

​This will be an awesome day that will provide each participant to have a
surfing experience. Feel the wind and ocean spray on your face, hear the
beach and ocean sounds, taste the salt in the air and burn in your mind’s
eye the excitement of riding the waves on a surf board. You will be
instructed and have someone with you at all times to assist you as you
experience the thrill of a lifetime.

All that is needed is you and your bathing suit. Expert surfers, water
certified safety people as well as lifeguards will be on hand. Life jackets
and surfboards will be provided. Registration is limited to 100 surfers so
apply today.

To register or for further information contact Michael Benson at:

<mailto:michael at lovevision.org%3cmailto:michael at lovevision.org>
michael at lovevision.org <mailto:michael at lovevision.org>

or visit:

www.visualexperiencefoundation.org/surfer-registration
<http://www.visualexperiencefoundation.org/surfer-registration%3c>

WHEN & WHERE:*

Date: August 18, 2018 rain date August 19, 2018

Time: Registration 8am -11am Surfing 10am to 1pm

Great Lawn Fest 1pm to 4pm

Location: North Beach, Long Branch, NJ

Access Link is available.