[NFBNJ] Comcast launches programs for people who are hearing and visually impaired - Burlington County Times - Westampton, NJ

joe ruffalo nfbnj1 at verizon.net
Fri Dec 27 21:26:48 UTC 2019

Greetings to all!
Received from Pamela Gaston, NJ CBVI.
Once again, thanks Pam.

Review and share with others.

Joe

***

Comcast is now offering customer service in American Sign Language, and
technology to bring the TV experience those with visual impairments.

Comcast is reaching out to customers with special needs with new programs
for the hearing and visually impaired.

Earlier this month, Comcast announced a partnership with Connect Direct, a
subsidiary of Communication Service for the Deaf, to launch customer service
support via American Sign Language.

ASL Now is available for Internet Essentials, Xfinity Internet, and general
Xfinity billing questions. The program is a first for the cable industry and
helps to further address the digital divide for Americans with disabilities
by ensuring that members of the deaf community can get connected to the
Internet at home without barriers.

A Pew Research Center report found that 23% of people with disabilities say
they never go online, and 57% say they do not even have a home broadband
subscription.

“The Internet is an incredible resource so long as you have the skills and
the tools to use it,” said David L. Cohen, senior executive vice president
and chief diversity officer at Comcast. “By partnering with Connect Direct
and working with the deaf community, we want to address and break down the
barriers to broadband adoption that are unique to this population. That
starts by being able to speak with customers in their native language.”

Comcast created an internetessentials.com/accessibility landing page, with
direct links to the new ASL Now chat function, the ability to order
collateral materials in Braille and large print, and an
accessibility-specific FAQ.

In a separate announcement, Comcast announced that it would partner with
wearable technology startup NuEyes to bring the Xfinity Stream app to the
company’s smartglasses and VR magnifying device.

The devices enhance the usual vision of a person who is visually impaired.
Xfinity Stream is pre-installed on NuEyes e2, allowing users with visual
disabilities to see TV shows, news, movies, live sports, and more,
independently.

“Being blind since birth, I know firsthand the power of technology to
enhance independence,” said Tom Wlodkowski, Vice President of Accessibility
at Comcast. “Our partnership with NuEyes is an extension of our commitment
to designing great entertainment experiences for people of all abilities.”

Comcast previously launched a talkinng TV guide, introduced a
voice-activated remote control and luanched eye control for users of its X1
cloud-based cable TV platform. It produced the first live entertainment show
in U.S. broadcast history, “The Wiz Live,” to be accessible to people with a
visual disability.
.

https://www.burlingtoncountytimes.com/news/20191226/comcast-launches-programs-for-deaf-blind