[NFBNJ] Job posting at the Heiskell Library!: part time assistive tech coach - bilingual

joe ruffalo nfbnj1 at verizon.net
Sat Mar 9 00:28:11 UTC 2019

Greetings to all!
The following information was forwarded to me from Rick Fox.
Please read and share.

nfbnj1 at verizon.net

***

Hi Joe,

Would you kindly forward the job announcement below to the general
listserve? At the bottom of the announcement is a link to the original
posting, where you may apply online.

Rick Fox, President

Northern Chapter

Cell: 973-641-5067

Assistant Trainer for Assistive Technology

Location

US-NY-Manhattan

list of 4 items nesting level 1

Job ID

2019-10584

# of Openings Remaining

1

Type

Part-Time

Department

LB Andrew Heiskell Library

list end nesting level 1

list end

Overview

The Andrew Heiskell Braille and Talking Book Library, part of The New York
Public Library, serves patrons who are eligible to borrow materials from the
National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped (NLS)
because of a visual or physical disability.  The service is offered onsite,
online, and through an extensive mailing operation to residents of the five
boroughs of New York City and Long Island.

The Assistive Technology Coaching Department offers individual and
group-based training in using assistive technology to meet whatever their
own educational, vocational, recreational or personal goals are.  Topics
include options for accessible literacy such as BARD, Bookshare, and
Newsline; screen readers, screen magnifiers, voiceover and other accessible
options for mobile devices, accessible facebook, typing, tactiles creation,
apps such as Seeing AI, and more.

The incumbent will work in a team of one full time coordinator and two part
time coaches plus several volunteer assistants to meet the needs of the
community but will focus on serving Spanish speaking patrons.

Principal Responsibilities

Reporting to the Chief Librarian, the Assistant Trainer for Assistive
Technology will:

list of 6 items

Assist the AT coordinator during AT workshops for patrons

Run or co-run Spanish language group workshops for patrons on AT topics

Provide 1-on-1 coaching to patrons on AT tasks in Spanish and English

Help with walk-in patron questions about AT

Compile resources and prepare documents to provide patrons with AT support
in Spanish

Assist in evaluating community needs, proposing workshop topics and
suggesting new technology

list end

Minimum Qualifications

list of 3 items

Spanish proficiency required

Experience using Assistive Technology

Customer service, coaching, teaching, training, social work, or tutoring
experience.

list end

Preferred Qualifications

list of 3 items

Knowledge of disability culture or experience working with people with
disabilities is a plus.

Experience working with older adults is a plus

Braille literacy is a plus

list end

All team members are expected and encouraged to embody the NYPL Core Values:

list of 3 items

Be Helpful  to patrons and colleagues

Be Resourceful  in solving problems

Be Curious  in all aspects of your work

list end

Work Environment

Branch library

Physical Duties

list of 3 items

Lifting up to 15 lbs.

Sitting and standing for periods of time

Daily use of a computer

list end

Hours

15 hours per week during library hours.  Ideally Mondays and Tuesdays will
be included. Some flexibility required for special events, including
possible Saturdays or evenings.

Union / Non Union

Non Union

Here's the link to the original job announcement, where you may apply
online:

https://jobs-nypl.icims.com/jobs/10584/assistant-trainer-for-assistive-techn
ology/job