[NFBNJ] IMPORTANT URGENT TIME SENSITIVE Taking it to the streets

joe ruffalo nfbnj1 at verizon.net
Mon Mar 25 21:06:39 UTC 2019

Greetings to all!
Please read the following important, urgent and time sensitive message from
President Riccobono.
The following was forwarded to all affiliate presidents in the area of New
York.
As of this writing, Linda Melendez and I are planning to participate
however, read through the email as there could be a chance that an agreement
could be reached.
With this said, if you can attend, please email Linda Melendez at
lindamelendez220 at gmail.com   or me, Joe Ruffalo at nfbnj1 at verizon.net

Once we have all details, we will contact you to make transportation
arrangements.

See below

nfbnj1 at verizon.net

***
From: President Riccobono

Dear Colleagues:

As you know, The CW television network, which is affiliated with CBS, plans
to launch a television series called In The Dark that features a blind
character who is not played by a blind actor.  We issued a strong statement<
https://nfb.org/about-us/press-room/blind-americans-protest-refusal-entertainment-industry-cast-them>
urging the cancellation of the series and reached out to all of the
executives affiliated with the show. We have received a response but have
yet to secure a meeting prior to the planned April 4 debut We now need to
follow up with action. We cannot allow Hollywood to define us any longer.

We plan to protest at one of the CBS facilities in New York City. Please
reach out to the members in your area so that they can plan to attend the
protest. It will be on April 2, 2019, in New York City from 11:00 a.m.-1:00
p.m. We will provide the exact address early next week.

The blind belong at the center of our own stories, playing blind characters
and taking our place on screen alongside our sighted colleagues. Together
with love, hope, and determination, we transform dreams into reality with
authentic casting.

As with any situation we are involved in, circumstances are changing
constantly. I have written back to the executives and requested that we
meet prior to April 2. If that meeting happens and if we feel that our
perspective is sufficiently understood-including a clear plan for follow
up-we may decide this action is not necessary. However, we should plan to
be together in New York City on April 2 until further notice. Please email
Linda Melendez at lindamelendez220 at gmail.com and Joe Ruffalo at
nfbnj1 at verizon.net with your availability to participate.
When we know more we will put together a teleconference to share details
with you.

Let's raise our voice,

Mark A. Riccobono, President
200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230
<https://maps.google.com/?q=200+East+Wells+Street,+Baltimore,+MD+21230&entry=gmail&source=g>
(410) 659-9314 | Officeofthepresident at nfb.org
Twitter: @Riccobono
--