[NFBNJ] NFB President’s Notebook - week of 11/11/2019

joe ruffalo nfbnj1 at verizon.net
Tue Nov 12 20:36:41 UTC 2019

Greetings to all!

I have provided information from President Riccobono???s Notebook for the week
of November 11, 2019.

Enjoy reading and sharing with others.
Let???s get involved!

President???s Notebook
National Federation of the Blind
Mark A. Riccobono
officeofthepresident at nfb.org<mailto:officeofthepresident at nfb.org>
410-659-9314

Dear Fellow Federationists,

A huge happy Veterans Day to all of our military veterans and those who are
family members of military veterans. For all of the struggles we still face
in gaining equality and opportunity in our nation, we recognize that the
United States of America still offers us the best prospects for full
participation because of the sacrifices and struggles that our military
personnel have made and continue to make. Thank you to those of you who have
served in the military. I hope each of you are doing something to honor and
support our veterans.

By now you have heard about the passing of long-time Federation leader
Donald Capps of South Carolina. Read our news
page<https://www.nfb.org/about-us/press-room/memoriam-dr-donald-capps> about
the passing of Dr. Capps including the statement I wrote for the funeral,
which was yesterday afternoon.

News:
Public Briefing on Elimination of 14(c):
On Friday, November 15, 2019 at 9:00 a.m., the United States Commission on
Civil Rights will hold a public briefing on the elimination of Section 14(c)
of the Fair Labor Standards Act. Anil Lewis will testify on behalf of the
National Federation of the Blind. Our members are welcome to submit comments
to subminimumwages at usccr.gov<mailto:subminimumwages at usccr.gov> for the
commission???s consideration no later than December 15, 2019. From this
investigation, the commission plans to issue a report with actionable
recommendations to address this critical civil rights issue.
Great Gathering-In:
The Washington Seminar Great Gathering-In will be Monday, February 10, 2020
from 5:00 to 7:00 p.m. In addition, all affiliate presidents and legislative
directors are urged to attend an in-depth training scheduled for that same
day at the Holiday Inn from 9:00 a.m. to noon. We will also be conducting
the usual training from 2:00 to 4:00 p.m. All Washington Seminar
participants are urged to attend the afternoon training session. In order to
make sure everyone is available, we will not be scheduling any other
meetings during this time frame. Finally, we are planning to host a
Congressional reception on Tuesday, February 11 from 5:30 to 7:00 p.m. All
Washington Seminar participants are urged to attend this reception.
Reminder:
Braille Letters from Santa:
It is time for Santa letters. From now until December 16, parents can go
online at www.nfb.org/santa-letters<http://www.nfb.org/santa-letters> and
fill out a request for a Braille letter from Santa. The form can also be
printed and faxed to 410-685-2340 or emailed to
communityrelations at nfb.org<mailto:communityrelations at nfb.org>. Beginning
Monday, December 2, the Braille letters from Santa will start going out to
boys and girls around the country. The Braille letter will also be
accompanied by a print copy (for mom and dad to read) as well as some other
fun Christmastime activities. The deadline for letter requests is December
16 to ensure that a return letter in Braille is received before Christmas.
For more information, visit www.nfb.org<http://www.nfb.org>.
Dates to Keep in Mind:

  *   January 9-11, 2020: NFB BELL?? Academy Training Seminar
  *   February 10, 2020: Great Gathering-In; Washington Seminar begins
  *   March 26-27, 2020: Jacobus tenBroek Law Symposium, Baltimore, Maryland
  *   April 14-17, 2020: NABM BLAST<http://www.blindmerchants.org>; Chicago,
Illinois
  *   July 14-19, 2020: NFB National Convention, Houston, Texas

blindness is not what holds you back.

Mark A. Riccobono, President
200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230
(410) 659-9314 |
officeofthepresident at nfb.org<mailto:officeofthepresident at nfb.org>

[National Federation of the Blind]<https://nfb.org/>

                         [Facebook]
<http://www.facebook.com/nationalfederationoftheblind>     [Twitter]
<https://twitter.com/NFB_Voice>     [Youtube]
<https://www.youtube.com/NationsBlind>

who believe in the hopes and dreams of the nation???s blind. Every day we work