[NFBNJ] Automated Production of Braille Math Books in the Works

joe ruffalo nfbnj1 at verizon.net
Thu Jan 16 20:49:27 UTC 2020

Greetings to all!

Nothing about us without us!

Great News!
Please read and share with others.

NEWS BRIEF

Automated Production of Braille Math Books in the Works

Blind students who read Braille are all too familiar with waiting for
Braille versions of their school textbooks. Some blind students can wait up
to six months to receive an accessible version of a textbook if they get one
at all, leading to a gap in education. The lack of Braille is particularly
problematic in STEM subjects. As blind mathematician and longtime member of
the National Federation of the Blind Dr. Al Maneki says, "A Braille formula
enables a person to touch and compare various pieces. Having the computer
pronounce a formula for you is not adequate for a blind reader any more than
it would be adequate for a sighted reader."

With a grant from the American Action Fund for Blind Children and Adults,
along with support from the National Science Foundation, a working group of
members of the National Federation of the Blind and other researchers is
developing an automated method for creating textbooks in Braille. The
American Institute of Mathematics (AIM) just announced the production method
and a week-long workshop to explain and improve on it.

"The National Federation of the Blind is an organization of blind Americans
working to solve our own problems and set our own priorities, and as such we
take seriously our leadership role in developing solutions that benefit all
blind people," said Mark Riccobono, President of the National Federation of
the Blind. "Braille literacy and the availability of Braille textbooks are
keys to educational success, particularly in STEM fields. We are proud of
our work to use cutting-edge technology for the  timely production of
Braille textbooks so that blind students, like my two daughters and
thousands more, do not needlessly struggle or fall behind their peers."

Learn more by reading the official AIM press
release<https://aimath.org/aimnews/braille_full/>.

###

The National Federation of the Blind (NFB), headquartered in Baltimore, is
the oldest and largest nationwide organization of blind Americans. Founded
in 1940, the NFB consists of affiliates, chapters, and divisions in the
fifty states, Washington DC, and Puerto Rico. The NFB defends the rights of
blind people of all ages and provides information and support to families
with blind children, older Americans who are losing vision, and more. We
believe in the hopes and dreams of blind people and work together to
transform them into reality. Learn more about our many programs and
initiatives at wwwnfb.org<http://www.nfb.org>.

CONTACT:
Chris Danielsen
Director of Public Relations
National Federation of the Blind
(410) 659-9314, extension 2330
(410) 262-1281 (Cell)
cdanielsen at nfb.org<mailto:cdanielsen at nfb.org>

This news brief is also available at:
https://www.nfb.org/about-us/press-room/automated-production-braille-math-books-works

Christopher S. Danielsen, J.D.
Director of Public Relations
200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230
(410) 659-9314, Ext. 2330 | cdanielsen at nfb.org
Twitter: @rlawyer

[National Federation of the Blind]<https://nfb.org/>

                         [Facebook]