[NFBNJ] Week of January 11 President Riccobono's Notebook and National Items of Interest

Linda Melendez president at nfbnj.org
Wed Jan 13 18:57:17 UTC 2021

Greetings all,

To stay connected with our National Office and the work of our organization
I am sharing some of President Riccobono's weekly notebook, National Items
of Interest and Dates to Keep in Mind.

Please read and save for future reference.

Email: president at nfbnj.org

****

President’s Notebook
Week of January 11, 2021
National Federation of the Blind
Mark A. Riccobono

Dear Fellow Federationists,

This time of year, in the weeks leading up to our Washington Seminar, the
District of Columbia is always on our minds. For many years, we have
visited the House and Senate to further our legislative goals. Though we
will gather on the Hill virtually next month, we are holding Congress,
first responders and others who walk the halls of the Capitol close in our
hearts and minds after last week’s attack. It is unfortunate that we will
not have the opportunity to walk the halls of Congress this year to bring
the positive spirit of the Federation to those quarters. However, we will
have the opportunity to visit with the offices of every member of Congress
virtually.

In those meetings we will bring the spirit of a common purpose and working
together. Our issues are not of one party or another; they do not reflect
the priorities of an incoming or outgoing administration. They are issues
for every elected official to support. They are driven by a diverse set of
blind people from around the country. They are issues that seek to make
America a country where we achieve the ideals set forth in our democracy.
Together, through our 2021 Washington Seminar, we will contribute to
bringing the nation together, moving forward, and raising expectations.

We want to highlight an update on our efforts to make the Federation a safe
and healthy place for all.

·       Follow your state and local legal requirements concerning mandatory
reporting, if the victim or survivor is interested in this path to healing.

 ·       To report a sexual misconduct issue, follow the procedures
outlined in NFB’s code of conduct at
https://www.nfb.org/about-us/history-and-governance/code-conduct, or
contact code at nfb.org or 410-659-9314, extension 2475.

 ·       To get information about NFB’s Survivor Task Force, contact
survivors at nfb.org or 410-659-9314, extension 2238.

 ·       To access professional support and resources, contact RAINN.
The National
Sexual Assault Telephone Hotline
<https://www.rainn.org/about-national-sexual-assault-telephone-hotline> is
at 800-656-HOPE (4673). Callers will be contacted by a trained staff member
from a service provider in their area.

 Below are the links to the NFB’s statements:

·       Partnership with RAINN
<https://www.nfb.org/about-us/press-room/national-federation-blind-announces-partnership-rainn>

·       Introducing Our Survivor Task Force
<https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/safety-support-marchingtogether>

FAQs

Q:     How long has this been going on? What did you know and when? Were
there any incidents at your office/center/facility?

 A:     Out of respect for survivors, we are not commenting on any specific
incidents. The National Federation of the Blind announced a partnership
with RAINN, the nation's largest anti-sexual violence organization. RAINN
will assist us in furthering a safe, inclusive, and welcoming culture free
of sexual misconduct as part of all NFB programs and activities. We are
committed to a safe, healthy environment.

Q:     What exactly will RAINN be doing?