[NFBNJ] Week of January 25 President Riccobono's Notebook, National Items of Interest and Dates to Keep in Mind

Linda Melendez president at nfbnj.org
Tue Jan 26 06:41:31 UTC 2021

Greetings all,

To help stay connected with our National Office and the work of our
organization I am sharing some of President Riccobono's weekly notebook,
National Items of Interest and Dates to Keep in Mind.

Please read and save for future reference.

Email: president at nfbnj.org

****

President’s Notebook
Week of January 25, 2021
National Federation of the Blind
Mark A. Riccobono

Dear Fellow Federationists,

It is particularly chilly in Baltimore now, so I thought it was worth
noting that there are only twenty-one days until pitchers and catchers
report. So baseball is right around the corner. No reason I can think of to
bring that up except to warm the chilly air around us.

News: Attend the February Presidential Release on February 1—Captioning and
Spanish Available:

The February Presidential Release of the National Federation of the Blind
will be delivered on Monday, February 1, at 8:00 p.m. eastern. After the
remarks there is an opportunity for questions. Submit questions in advance
to cdanielsen at nfb.org and put PR502 in the subject line, or call
410-659-9314, extension 2473. Closed captions and Spanish interpretation
will be available. Mark your calendars. Zoom details will be available
soon. Learn about the many ways to participate
<https://www.nfb.org/civicrm/event/info?reset=1&id=430>.

Access Technology Affordability Act Introduced in the House:

Introduced in the House on January 21, the Access Technology Affordability
Act legislation removes an employment barrier commonly experienced by blind
Americans who cannot afford the high cost of access technology by creating
a refundable tax credit in the amount of $2,000 to be used over a
three-year period to offset the cost of these technologies. Read the full
press release now
<https://www.nfb.org/about-us/press-room/national-federation-blind-applauds-introduction-access-technology-2>
.

Scholarship Program–Start Applications Now:

The National Federation of the Blind awards more than $120,000 to blind
scholars across the country. The application process is open and we
encourage students to start the process now. Review the scholarship
application checklist
<https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/scholarships-and-awards/scholarship-program/scholarship-program-application-checklist>
and the scholarship program FAQs
<https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/scholarships-and-awards/scholarship-program/scholarship-program-faqs>.
Share this opportunity that invests in the future of blind people. Learn
about the eligibility and requirements of the 2021 NFB Scholarship Program
<https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/scholarships-and-awards/scholarship-program>
and start the application process now.

*Toastmaster *Magazine Added to NFB-NEWSLINE:

We are pleased to announce the addition of *Toastmaster *magazine to the
NFB-NEWSLINE® service. Toastmasters International is a nonprofit
educational organization that teaches public speaking and leadership
through a worldwide network of clubs. Since 1924, Toastmasters
International has helped people from diverse backgrounds become more
confident speakers, communicators, and leaders. *Toastmaster *is published
monthly and is located under the General Interest category of Magazines.
Reminders: Last Chance to Get Your 2021 Braille Calendar from Independence
Market:

This is the last week we will be taking orders for 2021 Braille calendars.
Effective February 1, the Independence Market will no longer accept orders
for the 2021 Braille calendars. All orders received prior to the close of
business on Friday, January 29, will be processed. If interested in
ordering a 2021 Braille calendar, please contact our Independence Market at
410-659-9314, extension 2216, or Independencemarket at nfb.org as soon as
possible.

Dates to Keep in Mind:

(all times eastern)

   - February 1: Presidential Release LIVE, 8:00 p.m.
   - February 8: Washington Seminar
   <https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/advocacy/washington-seminar>
   Great Gathering-In
   - March 1: Presidential Release LIVE, 8:00 p.m.
   - March 31: Scholarship application
   <https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/scholarships-and-awards/scholarship-program/scholarship-program-application-checklist>
   deadline
   - April 1: Presidential Release LIVE, 8:00 p.m.
   - April 15: Bolotin Awards <https://www.nfb.org/bolotin> nominations
   deadline
   - May 2: Presidential Release LIVE, 8:00 p.m.
   - June 1: Presidential Release LIVE, 8:00 p.m.
   - July 6-11: NFB National Convention, New Orleans, Louisiana