[NFBNJ] Pageant + Summer Updates from Eyes Like Mine Inc.!

Linda Melendez president at nfbnj.org
Wed Jun 30 20:46:12 UTC 2021

View this email in your browser
<https://us12.campaign-archive.com/?e=39cf7527b6&u=6615eb79f67f49829c2ef6040&id=fed9d26ff2>

june 2021
designed by aneesh karuppur
*save the dates.*
June 30th: Miss Blind Diva Pageant Recruitment Ends
July 6th: New and Improved Peer Support Group
July 23rd: Virtual Family Fun Night — Audio-Described Circus
July 30th: Second annual observance of the ADA Anniversary Outdoor Resource
Fair Festival provided by Eyes Like Mine Inc., Newark People’s Assembly,
and funded with support of the Newark Peer Fund.
Adult Division: 18+ and Junior Division (12-17). Serious inquiries email:
events at eyeslikemine.org or ms.blinddiva2020 at eyeslikemine.org.
(Flyer depicts reigning Miss Blind Diva Brit Culp in pageant sash and crown
in the center, a picture of a past contestant in sash and crown, and a
picture of the gala. Social Media Links are at the bottom.)
other news.*around the state*deafblind awareness week
jun 27—jul 3

STATE OF NEW JERSEY EXECUTIVE DEPARTMENT Proclamation:
WHEREAS, Helen Keller was one of the most accomplished, respected and
renowned Americans who was deafblind; and WHEREAS, more than 2.8 million
people living in the United States have a combined loss of vision and
hearing and may be considered deafblind; and WHEREAS, approximately 75,000
New Jersey residents have such a combined loss of vision and hearing;
and WHEREAS, today, people who are deafblind are attending college, joining
in social activities, managing their everyday lives, and actively
participating in their communities through employment, civic engagement and
recreational activities; and WHEREAS, it is highly appropriate and
necessary to publicize the accomplishments, abilities and potential of our
fellow citizens who are deafblind or have severe vision and hearing loss
and to recognize Helen Keller as a guiding example of courage, hope,
determination, ability and achievement for other individuals who are
deafblind, as well as the larger community; and WHEREAS, the State of New
Jersey supports the full participation of all deafblind Americans in
society, which maximizes their opportunities for an empowered, productive
life in the community of their choice; NOW, THEREFORE, I, Philip D. Murphy,
Governor of the State of New Jersey, do hereby proclaim: JUNE 27 THROUGH
JULY 3, 2021 AS HELEN KELLER DEAFBLIND AWARENESS WEEK in New Jersey. GIVEN,
under my hand and the Great Seal of the State of New Jersey, this tenth day
of June in the year two thousand twenty-one, the two hundred forty-fifth
year of the Independence of the United States.
Phone number 1-978-990-5223, Access code: 2561166. We're now on
Clubhouse—please follow us using this link:
https://www.clubhouse.com/club/eyes-like-mine-inc
<https://eyeslikemine.us12.list-manage.com/track/click?u=6615eb79f67f49829c2ef6040&id=4af4c855a6&e=39cf7527b6>
We stream on Clubhouse, Facebook, Zoom. facebook.com/eyeslikemineinc
If you're interested in being a speaker, with a business, product, or
service, email events at eyeslikemine.org
audio book club

Every Saturday
5:00PM—6:30PM
Calling All Book Lovers!
Connect with members of Eyes Like Mine Inc
Meet new people at our free audio book club listening sessions. The session
will be moderated by an Eyes Like Mine Inc member and our listening
platform will be the Audible app/Bard mobile app. All is to be required is
to call in at start time and exercise active listening and social dialogue
while we are in session. There is no fee, but we request that you please
pre-register for updates. For more information please e-mail
events at eyeslikemine.org or call 973-327-3035. Sign up to our newsletter at
eyeslikemine.org to stay connected with us.

Register Today!

https:forms.gle/8V9FLqHNGVYbbCm96
Join Zoom Meeting
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/82466705091
<https://eyeslikemine.us12.list-manage.com/track/click?u=6615eb79f67f49829c2ef6040&id=ff6a841120&e=39cf7527b6>
Meeting ID: 82466705091
One tap mobile
New York (646)876-9923, 82466705091#
Germantown (301)715-8592, 82466705091#
Chicago (312)626-6799, , 82466705091#

featured
people.*man crush monday*Ronny Hall

"I grew up in Camden County, NJ and currently live in Stratford, NJ. I have
Usher Syndrome. I was born deaf and use American Sign Language (ASL). Now I
am night blind. I’ve taught people to sign and communicate through ASL. I
enjoy watching sports on TV. My favorite sports are football, hockey,
basketball and baseball. I’m a BIG fan of the Philadelphia Eagles and the
Phillies and Sixers. I walk a lot with my dog, a Husky, and I enjoy
shopping, movies, and the beach. Sometimes if I can’t sleep at night, I
head out to a diner and get a bite to eat."
organization news.*from eyes like mine inc.*guidestar silver + bronze seals
of transparency

Our organization earned 2021 Silver and Bronze Seals of Transparency! Now,
everyone can learn more about our programs and areas served and find us on
social media. Check out our updated #NonprofitProfile on Candid:
https://www.guidestar.org/profile/47-1340357
<https://eyeslikemine.us12.list-manage.com/track/click?u=6615eb79f67f49829c2ef6040&id=e91c969432&e=39cf7527b6>
eyes like
mine inc.presentsthe 2021 miss blind diva empowerment pageant
It's that time again! 2021 makes five successful years recruiting women for
our empowerment pageant! Show up, Show out and cultivate others with your
story. This pageant is for women who are visually impaired, empowering
themselves and others around them. Stop hesitating, it's your time to
shine! Let's empower others!

Sign up: eyeslikemine.org/ms-blind-diva-2021
<https://eyeslikemine.us12.list-manage.com/track/click?u=6615eb79f67f49829c2ef6040&id=4a7699dd77&e=39cf7527b6>

Sign Up Here
<https://eyeslikemine.us12.list-manage.com/track/click?u=6615eb79f67f49829c2ef6040&id=2c26c0c20e&e=39cf7527b6>
Check out this proclamation from Gov. Murphy!
(Flyer depicts the logos of all the organizations who contributed to
Deafblind Awareness Week in New Jersey: Ava's Voice, HLAA, Disability
Rights New Jersey, DBCAN-NJ, Helen Keller National Center, Deaf Blind
League of New Jersey, National Federation for the Blind—NJ and Deafblind
Division, Diverse Deaf Club of New Jersey Inc., Malan Syndrome Foundation,
New Jersey Deaf Housing Inc., Blind Athletes Inc., ASL Independent Referral
Service Inc., New Jersey Division of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing, New
Jersey Commission for the Blind and Visually Impaired, SPAN Advocacy
Network.)

Eyes Like Mine Inc. congratulates the deafblind community in observance of
Deafblind Awareness Week! We are participating by highlighting various
individuals from the deafblind community with their most favorable picture
and bio for our social media audience during this week. Special Days: Man
Crush Monday, Woman Crush Wednesday, and Flashback Friday.
events and
activities.*from eyes like mine inc.*peer support group 2—4PM jun 27There
will be Eyes Like Mine Announcements, featured speakers from the blind
community, musical entertainment, and all participants will be entered into
a raffle for a surprise gift. For more info email: events at eyeslikemine.org
or call 973-327-3035.
This is our final Sunday for our Peer Support Group. We will have a
virtual cookoff with men who happen to be visually impaired or blind. Come
see who wins on Facebook or Zoom!
*Future Peer Support Groups will be Tuesdays, 7-9 PM EST starting July 6th,
2021.*

Upcoming BooksJune 26- I Wonder while I Wander Langston Hughes
July 10-Unstopable by Bethany Hamilton
July 17-Two by Two by Nicholas Sparks
July 24-Unsweeten by Jody Sweeten
July 31- The Help by  Kathryn Stockett
August 7- Sliding Into Home by Kendra Wilkinson
August 14-No Limits Michael Phelps
August 21- Family Ties by Danielle Steele
August 28-Kiss The Girls & Make Them Cry by Mary Higgins Clark
Sept 4- Green Light by Matthew Mcconaughey
Sept 11- Kardashian Confident by the kardashians.
Sept 18- Where The Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls
Sept 28- Just As I am by cisalee Tyson
Oct 2- Where We Belong by Hoda Kotb
Oct 9- Inner Circle Evelyn Lozada
Oct 16- I Really Needed Today by Hoda Kotb
Oct 23-Bulletproof by Maci Book out
Oct 30-The Day I Shot Cupid by Jennifer Love Hewitt
Nov 6- True Love by Jennifer Lopez
Nov 13- Remembering Whitney by Cissy Houston
Nov 20- I'm Reshaping it All by Candace Cameron
Nov 27- Room to Grow by Tracy Gold
Dec 4- Heart of A Woman by Maya Angelou
Dec 11- True Believer by Nicholas Sparks
Dec 18- The Greech by Dr Seuss

If you are a differently abled author and would like to have a virtual meet
and greet during our Book Club listening session, please email us at
events at eyeslikemine.org
featured
people.*peer support group speaker*Jay Bolger

James M Bolger, born in Philadelphia Pennsylvania in September of 1984, is
no stranger to the challenges of being visually impaired.  Diagnosed with
Retinitis Pigmentosa at the age of 3 at Wills Eye Hospital James was told
that the life ahead of him would be challenging, but not impossible.
Determined to overcome the obstacles placed before him James graduated both
high school and college with honors.  James, better known by his friends
and family as “Jay”, is currently completing a Master’s Degree in Clinical
Mental Health Counseling with a specialty in Trauma & Crisis Intervention
at Walden University where he, once again, is maintains a high 3.8 GPA.
James believes strongly that his faith in God, dedication to a lifestyle of
excellence, and desire to impact change, along with his loving family are
keys to overcoming the challenges he has faced in his life do to having
RP.  James is a multi-time oratorical contest champion, a member of Chi
Sigma Iota national counseling honor society, and, most importantly to him,
a husband and a father to two wonderful girls.  James believes your
disability does not make you weak, it demonstrates to the world how strong
you truly are.
Follow us on Social Media!
[image: Facebook]
<https://eyeslikemine.us12.list-manage.com/track/click?u=6615eb79f67f49829c2ef6040&id=a62597ae81&e=39cf7527b6>
[image: Twitter]
<https://eyeslikemine.us12.list-manage.com/track/click?u=6615eb79f67f49829c2ef6040&id=4c78fef27f&e=39cf7527b6>
[image: YouTube]
<https://eyeslikemine.us12.list-manage.com/track/click?u=6615eb79f67f49829c2ef6040&id=8b72d0c538&e=39cf7527b6>
[image: Instagram]
<https://eyeslikemine.us12.list-manage.com/track/click?u=6615eb79f67f49829c2ef6040&id=572d74bde1&e=39cf7527b6>

TikTok: tiktok.com/@eyeslikemine
<https://eyeslikemine.us12.list-manage.com/track/click?u=6615eb79f67f49829c2ef6040&id=1218c0edc3&e=39cf7527b6>
Clubhouse: www.clubhouse.com/club/eyes-like-mine-inc
<https://eyeslikemine.us12.list-manage.com/track/click?u=6615eb79f67f49829c2ef6040&id=73247fa914&e=39cf7527b6>
[image: Proud to be Center Member]
Proud Center for Nonprofits Member

Eyes Like Mine Inc. is a non profit 501-C3 organization established in
March of 2014 in Newark, New Jersey. It was founded by Krystle Allen, a
Newark native, to empower, enlighten, and innovate communities in New
Jersey about vision loss and the available resources for people with vision
loss. At it’s inception, Elm Inc. was founded with the help of Naquela
Wright and Ihsaan R. Muhammad Esq., along with the founder Krystle Allen to
introduce a unique pattern of advocacy for individuals who are vision
impaired or blind.

PO. Box 10125
Newark, NJ 07101
973-327-3035

Eyes Like Mine Inc.
Tax exempt 501C3
"Where vision Loss doesn't break us; it builds us!”

Home of dancing with the blind and the Ms. Blind Diva Empowerment Pageant

www.eyeslikemine.org
https://youtu.be/odtEXZ31fM0
<https://eyeslikemine.us12.list-manage.com/track/click?u=6615eb79f67f49829c2ef6040&id=82707903ab&e=39cf7527b6>

This email was sent to dbcannj at gmail.com
*why did I get this?*
<https://eyeslikemine.us12.list-manage.com/about?u=6615eb79f67f49829c2ef6040&id=d6d368f265&e=39cf7527b6&c=fed9d26ff2>
    unsubscribe from this list
<https://eyeslikemine.us12.list-manage.com/unsubscribe?u=6615eb79f67f49829c2ef6040&id=d6d368f265&e=39cf7527b6&c=fed9d26ff2>
    update subscription preferences
<https://eyeslikemine.us12.list-manage.com/profile?u=6615eb79f67f49829c2ef6040&id=d6d368f265&e=39cf7527b6&c=fed9d26ff2>
Eyes Like Mine, Inc. · PO Box 10125 · Newark, NJ 07101 · USA

[image: Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp]
<http://www.mailchimp.com/email-referral/?utm_source=freemium_newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=referral_marketing&aid=6615eb79f67f49829c2ef6040&afl=1>
--

​Warmly,
Email: president at nfbnj.org
*Website: **www.nfbnj.org* <http://www.nfbnj.org/>
*Facebook: **https://m.facebook.com/NFB-NJ-353099574776238*
<https://m.facebook.com/NFB-NJ-353099574776238>
*Twitter: **@NFBNewJersey* <https://twitter.com/nfbnewjersey>
*YouTube: **NFBNJTransformDreams*
<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKEDbjGsCYHMlwd4gqpBPjg>

*Live the life you want.*
*The National Federation of the Blind of New Jersey is a community of
members and friends who believe in the hopes and dreams of the nation’s
blind. Everyday we work together to help blind people live the lives they
want.*