[NFBNJ] Week of March 1, 2021 President Riccobono'sNotebook, National Items of Interest and Dates to Keep in Mind

Linda Melendez president at nfbnj.org
Wed Mar 3 14:20:19 UTC 2021

Greetings all,

To help stay connected with our National Office and the work of our
organization I am sharing some of President Riccobono's weekly notebook,
National Items of Interest and Dates to Keep in Mind.

I have used headings for easy navigation. Please read and save for future
reference.

National Federation  of the Blind of New Jersey
732-421-7063
Email: president at nfbnj.org

****

President’s Notebook
Week of March 1, 2021
National Federation of the Blind
Mark A. Riccobono

Dear Fellow Federationists,

It’s March and that definitely has me thinking about the year we have been
socially distanced from each other. March 1, 2020, was the departure day
for our last major weekend event at the NFB Jernigan Institute—our last
in-person leadership seminar. Although it has been a hard year not
gathering in the same physical spaces as other Federationists, I continue
to be inspired by the work, innovation, and togetherness that have been
generated during this past year.
Complete and Share the Diversity and Inclusion Survey:

The National Federation of the Blind is gathering information on diversity
and inclusion from members and leaders in the organization. Please take
approximately fifteen minutes to complete this important survey by March
15. The survey includes a short, optional, confidential questionnaire about
you. Your perspective and experiences are needed to develop diversity and
inclusion initiatives for our movement.

<https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/NFB-Diversity-Inclusion>2021 Diversity and
Inclusion Survey (English)
<https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/NFB-Diversity-Inclusion>

<https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/NFB-Diversidad-Inclusion>En Español: 2021
Encuesta sobre Diversidad e Inclusión
<https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/NFB-Diversidad-Inclusion>
National Convention—Stronger Together: Transforming and Unifying Our Future:

Plan to attend the National Federation of the Blind 2021 National
Convention, July 6-10, being held virtually. Our national convention is the
largest gathering of blind people, and this year will be bigger and better
than ever. We are eager to connect more blind Americans from anywhere to
build opportunities everywhere. Registration is now open and free! While
there is no registration fee to attend, please consider a donation if you
are in a position to do so. Register today at https:\\nfb.org/convention
<https://www.nfb.org/convention>.

In order to participate in the convention voting process you will have to
register and have your 2021 dues paid no later than May 31, 2021.

We need your ideas about the program items, training, and other sessions
you would like to discover at #NFB21. Please send those great ideas to me
at  <officeofthepresident at nfb.org>officeofthepresident at nfb.org.
Presidential Release:

In case you missed it last night, the
<https://www.nfb.org/resources/speeches-and-reports/presidential-reports>March
Presidential Release
<https://www.nfb.org/resources/speeches-and-reports/presidential-reports> is
now available on our website.
Pedestrian Safety Enhancement Act:

The Pedestrian Safety Enhancement Act is in full effect! One hundred
percent of all hybrid and electric vehicles manufactured on or after March
1, 2021, must comply with the law and the associated regulation.
Congratulations to all Federationists who helped make this law a reality.
The roads of America are safer for all pedestrians, especially blind
pedestrians!
Latest Blog Post: “Did I Say That Was OK with Me? Understanding Consent and
Boundaries”:

The *Voice of the Nation's Blind Blog* highlights personal experiences and
stories of blind people. In the recent article, Sarah Meyer shares her
story and the importance of honoring your own and others’ boundaries.
<https://www.nfb.org/blog/did-i-say-was-ok-me-understanding-consent-and-boundaries>Read
the recent blog post, “Did I Say That Was OK with Me? Understanding Consent
and Boundaries.
<https://www.nfb.org/blog/did-i-say-was-ok-me-understanding-consent-and-boundaries>
*”*
Upcoming Event: Advocating for Accessibility:

On March 9, learn how you can reach companies and work with them to improve
the accessibility of their products. Accessibility boutiques and seminars
are workshops presented by National Federation of the Blind access
technology experts that provide introductions to accessibility best
practices and the latest trends in access tech.
<https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/center-excellence-nonvisual-access/trainings/accessibility-boutiques>Learn
more and register today for an accessibility boutique
<https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/center-excellence-nonvisual-access/trainings/accessibility-boutiques>
.
Letter to Governors:

In February, President Riccobono wrote to all governors regarding the
urgent need to ensure access for individuals with disabilities to COVID-19
vaccines and tests. A copy of the letter is available on the
<https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/advocacy/policy-statements>NFB’s
Policy Statements
<https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/advocacy/policy-statements> webpage.
We will soon be releasing a survey to help us gather data regarding
COVID-19 vaccine and testing-related discrimination and will be encouraging
affiliates to contact their local COVID-19 vaccine and test-administrating
agency to request information about how accessibility is being implemented
at the local level. Please stay tuned.
Legal Program Contact Us Form:

The NFB has created a legal program contact us form, available via our
<https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/legal-program>legal webpage
<https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/legal-program>. We invite you to
contact the NFB regarding blindness-related legal concerns and questions.
While we cannot assist with every request, we can often connect members
with resources and tools for advocacy.
Unemployment Benefits Survey:

The NFB is investigating barriers and denials related to unemployment
benefits. If you have been terminated or laid off from your job within the
last two years, please take time to complete our important survey,
available at the NFB’s legal webpage.
NFB BELL Academy®:

The National Federation of the Blind is offering three virtual programs of
the NFB BELL Academy this summer to prepare blind and low-vision children
to grow into confident and independent blind people by enhancing their
education. Options are available for beginner, intermediate, and advanced
students for the following dates:

Session 1 - June 7-18, 2021

Session 2 - July 19-30, 2021

Session 3 - August 9-20, 2021
Jacobus tenBroek Law Symposium Keynote Speaker Announced:

Kathy Martinez, who recently joined Disability Rights Advocates as
president and CEO, will be the keynote speaker for the 2021 Jacobus
tenBroek Disability Law Symposium. An internationally recognized disability
rights advocate, Ms. Martinez previously served as senior vice president at
Wells Fargo, as US Assistant Secretary of the Office of Disability
Employment Policy, and as executive director of the World Institute on
Disability. Don’t miss this opportunity to join nationally renowned
disability rights advocates at the United States’ leading disability law
symposium, held virtually this year March 24–26, as we examine issues
relating to race, diversity, inclusion, and the right to live in the world.
Registration is $100, and student registration is free. Visit the law
symposium webpage
<https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/legal-program/jacobus-tenbroek-disability-law-symposium>
register and view the agenda and speaker bios. Registration will close on
March 10, 2021.
Post-Washington Seminar Update:

Despite not being able to assemble in person for the 2021 Washington
Seminar, we were still able to ensure that the presence of the National
Federation of the Blind was felt throughout the halls of Congress. Due to
your advocacy, the number of cosponsors for the Access Technology
Affordability Act more than doubled in both the House and the Senate. We
gained twenty-nine new House cosponsors for ATAA and seven new Senate
cosponsors. Additionally, we have received significant interest and
requests for more information on each of our other legislative priorities
as well. Thank you so much for all of your hard work and advocacy that
helped make this year’s Washington Seminar a success.
Letters to Congress:

In the past two weeks, I have sent two very important letters to Congress
regarding voting accessibility
<https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/advocacy/policy-statements/letter-congressional-leaders-regarding-amendments-hr-1>
and the elimination of subminimum wages
<https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/advocacy/policy-statements/open-letter-regarding-american-rescue-plan-subminimum-2021-02-22>
for Americans with disabilities. I encourage you to read both letters on
the Policy Statements page
<https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/advocacy/policy-statements> of our
website. As a general reminder, the Policy Statements page is where we will
post any important correspondence from the National Federation of the Blind
to Congress or the executive branch of the federal government. We also post
all of our responses to requests for comments or information from any of
the federal agencies in this section of our website. So If you would like
to know what our position on a particular issue is, the Policy Statements
page is the place to check.
Independence Market March Product of the Month:

Kenneth Jernigan Map of the United States: This colorful take-apart
topographical puzzle map makes it fun and interesting to learn about
various geographical features of the United States. Each state is a puzzle
piece. The major rivers, mountain chains, state capitals, and latitude and
longitude lines, are all indicated tactilely. Underneath the puzzle pieces
the map shows the boundaries of all fifty states with Braille state
abbreviations. The map measures 32 1/2 × 18 inches and includes Braille and
print reference guides that give facts about each state. AIG19M $250.00
Independence Market March Sale Items:

·       Plastic Envelope Writing Guide AIL08G $1.00

·       Plastic Letter Writing Guide AIL12G $1.00

·       2X Illuminated Magnifier with 6X Insert and Folding Handle AIL103M
$5.00

·       Carbon Fiber Rigid Long White Cane with Metal Glide Tip (available
in sizes from 49 through 69 inches in two-inch increments) ACF##S $15.00

·       Solitaire and Fox & Geese (two board games in one) AIG75G $10.00
Scholarship Program–Deadline Approaching:

The National Federation of the Blind awards more than $120,000 to blind
scholars across the country. The application process is open until March
31, and we encourage students to start the process now. Review the
scholarship application checklist and the scholarship program FAQs. Share
this opportunity that invests in the future of blind people.
<https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/scholarships-and-awards/scholarship-program>Learn
about the eligibility and requirements of the 2021 scholarship program and
start the application process now.
<https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/scholarships-and-awards/scholarship-program>
Dates to Keep in Mind:

(all times eastern)

March 24-26: Jacobus tenBroek Law Symposium

March 31: Scholarship application
<https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/scholarships-and-awards/scholarship-program/scholarship-program-application-checklist>
 deadline

April 5: Presidential Release LIVE, 8:00 p.m.

April 15: Bolotin Awards <https://www.nfb.org/bolotin> nominations deadline

May 3: Presidential Release LIVE, 8:00 p.m.

June 1: Presidential Release LIVE, 8:00 p.m.

July 6-10: NFB National Convention, anywhere and everywhere