[NFBNJ] Women's History Month - Norma Farrar Krajczar

Linda Melendez president at nfbnj.org
Fri Mar 5 23:39:00 UTC 2021

From: Gaston, Pamela
Subject: Women's History Month - Norma Farrar Krajczar

Norma Farrar Krajczar, was CBVI's Executive Director from 1977 to 1989.
Under her leadership the Commission's scope of services widened to include
individuals who were severely visually impaired and in 1982, "and Visually
Impaired" was officially added to the agency's name. In 1984, the
Commission's projected efforts to advance it's operations and service
delivery systems were outlined in a strategic plan entitled, "Toward Vision
and Independence." That plan served as a blueprint for the Commission for
the next decade-and-a-half and concentrated on preventing blindness and
helping those who are losing or have lost their eye sight to lead
independent and fulfilling lives. The plan included the building and
establishment of the Joseph Kohn Training Center as well as other
significant changes.

>From University of New Hampshire Magazine:

 "When Norma Farrar Krajczar, class of  '51 went on her first business
trip, she was terrified. She was in her mid-20s, and at the time, the early
1950s, it was still unusual for women to travel alone for work. But off she
went, traveling around the country, appearing on TV, speaking to reporters,
giving talks, interviewing applicants and developing more confidence with
every trip—thanks in large part to Patty. "We just traveled constantly, she
and I," recalls Krajczar. "She was always bailing me out of one problem or
another."

Today it's hard to imagine what her life would have been like without
Patty, Banna, Bunny, Ingrid, Lonn, Riana and Malcolm— valued partners who
have accompanied Krajczar on many trips and even become a key part of her
identity. "In addition to physical independence," says Krajczar, "they've
given me a great sense of security, as well as my sense of presence in the
world." They are, of course, the seven Seeing Eye dogs that have guided
Krajczar over the last 57 years.

Krajczar learned while a teen that she was losing her sight to retinitis
pigmentosa. At UNH, she still had enough vision left to be able to see the
edge of a sidewalk, and she also relied on friends to help her navigate
around campus. Energetic and personable, she was elected president of the
women's student government, participated in the Outing Club and served as
the music director at a conservation camp.

After earning a master's degree in Social Work at Columbia and working at
couple of short-term jobs (one at UNH), she was finally able to fulfill her
dream of acquiring a Seeing Eye dog. Soon afterwards, she became the first
woman field representative for the Seeing Eye dog-guide school. Her German
shepherd, Patty, proved invaluable immediately—on a trip to Montreal, poor
directions landed Krajczar in the middle of a huge intersection at rush
hour. "There was nothing to do but say, in effect, 'It's up to you,' to the
dog, and she got me across," says Krajczar. All Seeing Eye dogs are
expected to practice "intelligent disobedience," and Krajczar has found
German shepherds (she's owned four) to be particularly creative in figuring
out what to do in a fix.

When Krajczar married Seeing Eye instructor Ferenc Krajczar three years
later, the school's rules required her to resign. She spent a number of
years at home with her two children before she was asked by the governor of
New Jersey to lead the state's Commission for the Blind. During 12 years as
executive director, she brought financial stability and national
accreditation to the organization. And when her husband fell ill, her work
supported her family.

At 91, Krajczar has long since retired to North Carolina, but she hasn't
lost her get up and go. She plays the organ at church and leads support
groups for elders who are newly blind or visually impaired. And she
couldn't be doing it all without Malcolm, a black Labrador-golden retriever
cross. As much as she admires the problem-solving abilities of German
shepherds, she recognizes that "they're creative about getting into
trouble, too." Better for this stage of life, she says, is the laid-back
Lab who assesses the situation and says, 'You've got a problem here. You
decide what to do and tell me how to do it."

--

​Warmly,
Email: president at nfbnj.org
*Website: **www.nfbnj.org* <http://www.nfbnj.org/>
*Facebook: **https://m.facebook.com/NFB-NJ-353099574776238*
<https://m.facebook.com/NFB-NJ-353099574776238>
*Twitter: **@NFBNewJersey* <https://twitter.com/nfbnewjersey>
*YouTube: **NFBNJTransformDreams*
<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKEDbjGsCYHMlwd4gqpBPjg>

*Live the life you want.*
*The National Federation of the Blind of New Jersey is a community of
members and friends who believe in the hopes and dreams of the nation’s
blind. Everyday we work together to help blind people live the lives they
want.*