[NFBNJ] President Riccobono's Notebook, National Items of Interest and Dates to Keep in Mind for week of October 25, 2021

Linda Melendez president at nfbnj.org
Wed Oct 27 02:04:58 UTC 2021

Greetings all,

To help stay connected with our National Office and with the work of our
organization I am sharing some of President Riccobono's weekly notebook,
National Items of Interest and Dates to Keep in Mind.

Email: president at nfbnj.org
President’s Notebook
National Federation of the Blind
Mark A. Riccobono
410-659-9314
officeofthepresident at nfb.org

Dear Federation Family,

Do you know what is really scary? Well yes, that creepy mask you have for
this weekend is pretty frightening. However, it is also scary how many
barriers we still face despite our progress. I feel like it is this time of
year when I realize how thin the line is between progress and feeling too
comfortable settling for where we are. The thing that gives me hope and
urges we go further is the level of activity happening across the movement.
While it could be easy to get overwhelmed by how far we still have to go
(scary if you think about it), the amount of activity happening throughout
the Federation to build opportunity and advance the organized blind
movement is energizing and empowers us with the collective strength to move
forward. Check out the wicked updates below.

Since I am going to miss the Halloween hunt for candy in South Baltimore
due to my trip to Colorado for the affiliate convention, I pulled out the
attached list of most popular Halloween candy in every state that my friend
Everette Bacon sent me some time ago. I thought you might enjoy the article
as well to determine if the reporting is accurate for your state.
Critical Actions: UPDATE: We Need Your Help! Double Your Dollars—Matching
Gift Opportunity:

So far we have $30,000 in general donations towards our $50,000 matching
gift campaign. Please reach out to friends and family to help reach our
goal of $50,000.

Contributions will be matched if made during Blind Equality Achievement
Month. Double your dollars and help turn dreams into reality with
employment and beyond. Thank you for helping us continue our important work
to raise expectations.

Three ways to give:

   - Donate online at
   nfb.org/donate
   - Mail a check to National Federation of the Blind, 200 East Wells
   Street, Baltimore, MD 21230. Checks dated in October will count towards the
   match even if received in November by mail.
   - Contribute by phone using a credit card by calling 410-659-9314,
   extension 2282.

News: New Federation Group: Survivors Group:

Welcome to our newest National Federation of the Blind group, the Survivors
Group, chaired by Kathryn Webster and Danielle Montour. The purpose of the
Survivors Group is to create an intentional space for blind survivors of
sexual misconduct and other forms of trauma and/or abuse, along with their
allies, to share support and resources leveraging the positive philosophy
of the Federation. An announcement regarding this group and upcoming
activities will be sent out this week.

Learn more about all of our Federation groups
<https://nfb.org/about-us/divisions-committees-and-groups/groups>.
Lawsuit Challenges Inaccessibility of the California Insurance Exam:

On October 12, TRE Legal Practice and Disability Rights Advocates filed a
disability rights lawsuit in California State Court against the California
Department of Insurance for its failure to ensure the accessibility of its
licensing exam for insurance agents to blind applicants. The National
Federation of the Blind, the transformative civil rights and membership
organization of blind Americans, is supporting its members in the
litigation.

Read the press release and the complaint to learn more
<https://nfb.org/about-us/press-room/lawsuit-challenges-inaccessibility-california-insurance-exam>
.
Self-Advocacy in Employment Toolkit:

The National Federation of the Blind’s *Self-Advocacy in Employment Toolkit* is
now available at

https://nfb.org/programs-services/advocacy/advocacy-resources/self-advocacy-employment-toolkit.
Please share this resource throughout your network.
Access Technology Affordability Act in the Build Back Better Act:

Through our determined advocacy, we were successful in getting the Access
Technology Affordability Act added as a provision of the Build Back Better
Act (H.R. 5376) as Section 138516. Last week we sent a letter to Speaker
Pelosi
<https://nfb.org/programs-services/advocacy/policy-statements/letter-speaker-pelosi-regarding-ataa-build-back-better>
and a letter to Senate Majority Leader Schumer
<https://nfb.org/programs-services/advocacy/policy-statements/letter-majority-leader-schumer-regarding-ataa-build>
to encourage them to keep this critical provision in the legislation as it
moves through Congress. You can read both of these letters, and many
others, on our Policy Statements page
<https://nfb.org/programs-services/advocacy/policy-statements/letter-majority-leader-schumer-regarding-ataa-build>
.
Senator Tammy Duckworth on *The Daily Show* Discussing Subminimum Wages:

On Thursday, October 21, Senator Tammy Duckworth (IL) appeared in a segment
of Comedy Central’s *The Daily Show with Trevor Noah*
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NT1zpABhq0U> where she and Trevor
discussed the issue of subminimum wages for people with disabilities. As
many of you may remember, Senator Duckworth was also a guest at our 2021
National Convention. In an interview for the convention
<https://nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/bm/bm21/bm2108/bm210815.htm>, we
discussed the topic of subminimum wages and the unfair treatment of people
with disabilities. We commend our friend Senator Duckworth for continuing
to stand with us on this issue and Trevor Noah and *The Daily Show* for
covering it.
A Conversation on Accessible Insulin Pumps on October 28:

As part of our nonvisual accessibility initiatives, the National Federation
of the Blind will be hosting a conversation on Thursday, October 28, 2021,
at 7:00 p.m., eastern with representatives from the Insulet Corporation,
the makers of Omnipod. We request feedback from blind and low-vision
individuals about the challenges they face, the solutions they may have
developed, and the features they would like to see in the future. Email to
Pat Miller, pmiller at nfb.org, in order to receive the Zoom information.
Please let us know if you are blind, if you are a diabetic, and which
insulin pump you use, if any.
Upcoming Braille Readers Are Leaders Contest: Registration Opening in
November:

It’s time, once again, for the Braille Readers Are Leaders (BRAL) contest,
sponsored by the American Action Fund for Blind Children and Adults, in
partnership with the National Federation of the Blind. This contest is for
both children and adults. We are pleased to announce exciting changes to
the contest this year including using an online platform called Beanstack.
More details coming soon. Get ready to share the registration as the
contest kicks off December 1.
Read and Share Latest Voice of the Nation’s Blind Blog:

As part of Blind Equality Achievement Month, read and share the following
blog posts:

   -  “On Blindness, Equality, and Achievement: Who Defines Us
   <https://nfb.org/blog/blindness-equality-and-achievement-who-defines-us>”
   - “Finding My Way to Equality: Coming ‘Home’ to the Federation
   <https://nfb.org/blog/finding-my-way-equality-coming-home-federation>”
   -  “Celebrating Our Milestone Achievements
   <https://nfb.org/blog/celebrating-our-milestone-achievements>”“The Magic
   of a Month and Should We be Celebrating
   <https://nfb.org/blog/magic-month-and-should-we-be-celebrating>”

Independence Market–Highlighted Items for November:

Products of the Month:

   - Men/Ladies Three-button Polo Shirts – available in black, navy, or red
   - $24
   - Men/Ladies Lined Nylon Jackets – available in black, navy, or red - $30
   - Tumbler – Hot/cold 16 oz. tumbler in black with white NFB logo - $8
   - Talking kitchen scale – Weighs items up to 6.6 lbs. with 0.1 ounce
   precision - $35
   - Talking kitchen and multipurpose scale – Weighs items up to 11 lbs.,
   speaks four different languages - $40

Sale and Close-Out Products

   - Nine Men Morris Game - $10
   - Cube Clock - $5
   - Camera Bag - $1

Dates to Keep in Mind:

(all times eastern)

   - November 1: Presidential Release, 8:00 p.m.
   - November 18: NFB Training Centers Meeting, 8:00 p.m.
   - December 1: NFB Scholarship Program
<https://nfb.org/scholarships> applications
   open
   - December 1: BRAL contest starts
   - December 2: Presidential Release, 8:00 p.m.
   - July 5-10, 2022: National Convention, New Orleans