[NFBNJ] Week Ending September 5, 2021 NFBNJ President Melendez Notes, Items of Interest and Dates to Keep in Mind

Linda Melendez president at nfbnj.org
Sat Sep 4 23:54:06 UTC 2021

Greetings all,

I hope everyone is doing well after Hurricane Ida. Jersey was heavily
impacted by this storm and many chapter leaders have checked in with members.
If you are experiencing issues please reach out to your chapter president.
National First Vice President Pam Allen called on Friday to see how our
affiliate was doing. Please know we are a family and will help wherever we
can.

I am also hoping everyone had a fun and safe summer and is ready to
participate in our fall affiliate, chapter, divisions and committee
meetings.

Please save this email for future reference as there is a lot of
information and dates pertaining to our upcoming state convention. Included
in this email are the following:

1.   Status of affiliate in-person meetings

2.   45th state convention details

3.   Affiliate PayPal membership dues update

4.   NFBNJ dates to keep in mind

5.   Attached revised September meeting schedule

If you would like to submit an event for consideration please send an email
with complete details 14 days prior to the event to Linda Melendez at
president at nfbnj.org.

president at nfbnj.org

****Please do not reply to this email, this is an announcement only
mailbox.**
Status of affiliate in-person meetings

The NFBNJ Board of Directors met in late August to discuss in-person
meetings. The board voted 7 to 3 in favor of *NOT* having in-person
meetings due to the ongoing pandemic and the increasing numbers of the
Delta Variant in Jersey (the president only votes in the event of a tie).

During our December board meeting we will discuss the status again and are
hopeful the numbers in Jersey are better and we can offer hybrid meetings
for a few months before we return to in-person meetings. Remember we know
and understand many want to meet in-person; however, we must take into
consideration the safety of members when making this very important
decision. Your board of directors appreciates your cooperation and
understanding.
45th state convention details:

*a. Theme, dates and location*

The 45th National Federation of the Blind of New Jersey State Convention;
Live the Life You Want - We Are More than the Sum of One will be held
virtually via the Zoom platform from Wednesday, November 10 through
Saturday, November 13; all are invited and registration is free!

*b. Registration:*

Registration will open the week of September 7, again all are invited and
registration is free. Members as usual, please contact your chapter
president if you need assistance. There will be an opportunity to make a
donation during registration and we appreciate your support. We are more
than the sum of one and each one of us can make a difference in what it
means to be blind.

*c. Agenda:*

Thank you to individuals who summated convention ideas for consideration.
The Convention Planning Committee has met twice and the agenda is looking
great. As of this writing a National Rep has not been assigned. Listed
below are some details we would like to share;

·       Monday, October 25 7 P.M. Zoom Landline & Alexia/Google Dot Training

·       Wednesday, October 27 7 P.M. Zoom Computer & Smart Device Training

·       Tuesday, November 2 at 7 P.M. Rookie Round-up

·       Wednesday, November 10 Division and Committee Business Meetings

·       Thursday, November 11 morning segments on Resolutions, Audio
Description & Advocacy, afternoon technology workshops, evening affiliate
resolutions committee meeting and membership workshop

·       Friday, November 12 day one general session 9 A.M. to 5 P.M.,
evening entertainment and convention business meeting

·       Saturday November 13 day two general session 9 A.M. to 5 P.M. and
banquet

*d. Voting:*

We will be using ExciteM, the Swift polling tool. This is the same
application we used for the national convention the last two years and for
last year’s state convention. To vote, individuals need to be a current
dues paying member of the NFBNJ (chapter or division); register for the
convention by October 10; supply a telephone number you plan to use for
voting (only one number may be registered and there will *NOT* be an
opportunity to change this once you register). Remember voting can also be
done by SMS text messaging. If you fail to register by October 10 you will
not be eligible to vote and *NO* exceptions will be granted! The convention
voting telephone number will be provided shortly.

*e. Door Prizes:*

The Board of Directors would like to ask chapters, divisions and committees
to donate funds for door prizes by sending a check to our Affiliate
Treasurer: Annemarie Cooke (7 Mayfair Road, Southampton, NJ 08088) and
write convention door prizes in the memo section. The Convention Planning
Committee plans to buy gift certificates and/or send a check to the
winners. Personal donations are also welcomed, and all donations will
identify the chapter/division/committee or individual giving the gift. All
donation commitments for door prizes should be sent by Monday, October 18.
Affiliate PayPal membership dues update:

We are in the final stages of setting up PayPal for the Capital and Garden
State Chapters. Next will be the Central Jersey and Northern Chapters
followed by the Northeast Chapter.
NFBNJ Dates to Keep in Mind (for details see attached Revised NFBNJ
September 2021 Affiliate Meeting Schedule

·       Braille Committee Tuesday, September 7, 7 P.M.

·       Senior Division Date: Tuesday, September 7, P.M.

·       Student Division Tuesday, September 7, 8:15 P.M.

·       Senior Division Book Club Wednesday, September 8 10:00 AM

·       Technology Division Monday, September 13 7 P.M.

·       Sports and Recreation Division Wednesday, September 15, 2021 7 P.M.

·       At-Large Chapter Tuesday, September 28 7:00 P.M.

·       Guide Dog Committee Meeting Thursday, September 30 7 P.M.

·       Zoom Landline and Alexia/Google Dot Training Monday, October 25
7:00 P.M.

·       Zoom Computer and Smart Device Zoom Training Wednesday, October 27
7 P.M.

·       Convention Rookie Roundup Saturday, November 2 7:00 P.M.

·       45th NFBNJ State Convention; Lived the Live You Want; We Are More
than the Sum of One November 10 through November 13

**Again, please do not reply to this email, this is an announcement only
mailbox.**