[NFBNJ] Week of March 14, 2022, President Riccobono's Notebook and National Items of Interest

Linda Melendez president at nfbnj.org
Wed Mar 16 01:10:57 UTC 2022

*President’s Notebook*

*National Federation of the Blind*

*Mark A. Riccobono*

*officeofthepresident at nfb.org* <officeofthepresident at nfb.org>

*410-659-9314*

Dear Federation Family,

Happy Pi Day to you. I hope you will be enjoying some tasty pie to
celebrate tonight. During my time managing educational programs directly
for the Federation, I put together quite a collection of science related
songs. Here is one of my favorite Pi related songs—you can likely find the
full version with the other versions still out on the web:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJJJmQojcLM

Some of you have asked if the Federation will be taking any steps to help
blind people in Ukraine. You should know that we have been talking with our
friends at the World Blind Union as that is our primary outlet to
coordinate activities internationally. I do expect there will be ways
Federation members can make a difference. We want to make sure that our
assistance actually goes to efforts that will impact blind people. Please
stand by while we vet opportunities with our colleagues in the world
organization. In the meantime, there are dozens of general ways that you
can assist with efforts in Ukraine. If your city is like Baltimore, there
are dozens of pop-up opportunities to help. We will find ways to impact
blind people who have been displaced, but it is going to take just a little
longer. In the meantime, if we have members who are from or have family in
Ukraine, please reach out to them and remind them their Federation family
is here.

*Critical Actions:*

*Jacobus tenBroek Disability Law Symposium Registration Closes March 17:*

Don’t miss this opportunity to join nationally renowned disability rights
advocates at the United States’ leading disability law symposium. Held
virtually this year March 24-25, 2022, the symposium will examine the right
of people with disabilities to live in a world of pandemics, political
polarization, and natural disasters. Registration is $100, and student
registration is $25. Visit the law symposium webpage
<https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/legal-program/jacobus-tenbroek-disability-law-symposium>*
register and view the agenda*.

*News:* *Legislation Update:*

In recent weeks our legislative priorities have seen a big bump in
cosponsor support. Since the beginning of March, the Access Technology
Affordability Act has gained eight new cosponsors in the House (H.R. 431)
from the states of California, Florida, New York, Illinois, and Tennessee.
During that same period, the Senate version of ATAA has gained two new
cosponsors: Senator Joni Ernst of Iowa and Senator Kyrsten Sinema of
Arizona.

Similarly, the Medical Device Nonvisual Accessibility Act (H.R. 4853) has
gained seven new cosponsors in March from the states of California,
Illinois, Michigan, Rhode Island, and North Carolina. This is all thanks to
you and your continued advocacy. Please keep calling and emailing your
members of Congress and asking them to support our legislation!

*Calling All NFB EQ Alumni:*

This year an NFB EQ Convention program will be offered at our national
convention for all past NFB EQ participants (since 2018). Participants will
have fun in teaching art and engaging others at the exhibit hall while
participating in an insulation and roller coaster challenge. Field trips to
the Pharmacy and Presbytère museums are also on the agenda and even a STEM
reunion event to catch up with old friends! Parents/guardians will also
have the opportunity to participate in parent workshops, networking, and
the NOPBC national convention.

Please note that this opportunity is only available to students who have
participated in the NFB EQ Program since 2018. Invitation emails have been
sent to eligible students. For more information, please email stem at nfb.org.

*NFB BELL® Academy Applications Open and More Locations:*

The National Federation of the Blind is offering in-person and in-home
opportunities! Our in-person programs across the nation and our NFB BELL
Academy In-Home Edition will help prepare blind and low-vision children to
grow into confident and independent blind people.

The current in-person program cities include Madison, Alabama; Mobile,
Alabama; Phoenix, Arizona; Tucson, Arizona; Littleton, Colorado; Rathdrum,
Idaho; Chicago, Illinois; Springfield, Illinois; Ruston, Louisiana;
Baltimore, Maryland; St. Louis, Missouri; Kansas City, Missouri; Perth
Amboy, New Jersey; and Portland, Oregon. More in-person programs coming
soon!

The NFB BELL Academy In-Home Edition program will take place July 18-August
5, 2022. During the NFB BELL Academy In-Home Edition, students and families
will receive Braille and other fun materials for lessons, connect with
experienced teachers, and build relationships with other blind students and
mentors. Space is limited for this program, so apply soon!
https://nfb.org/programs-services/nfb-bell-academy

*2022-2023 Teachers of Tomorrow Program:*

Individuals in the United States who are currently studying to be teachers
of blind students or career teachers who are currently employed teaching
blind/low-vision students in PK-12 settings are encouraged to apply for the
next cohort of NFB Teachers of Tomorrow. This is an immersive, professional
development program that connects teachers of blind and low-vision students
to the lived experiences of blind people. This program will begin in the
fall of 2022 and continue throughout the 2022-2023 school year, culminating
in a gathering at our 2023 National Convention. For more information and to
apply visit https://nfb.org/programs-services/education/teachers-tomorrow.

*Upcoming Event: Comparison of Collaboration Tools:*

Join the National Federation of the Blind Center of Excellence in Nonvisual
Access on Wednesday, March 16, 2022, from 1:00-5:00 p.m., eastern, via Zoom
for a comparison and overview of the accessibility of several of the top
collaboration and communication services. Learn about the initial setup,
creating projects, chatting among team members, and sharing files. The use
of these skyrocketed during the COVID pandemic. Take advantage of this free
opportunity. Register today!
<https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/center-excellence-nonvisual-access/trainings/accessibility-boutiques/accessibility-boutique-registration>

*Upcoming Event: Accessible Excel and PowerPoint Creation:*

Learn how to create accessible Excel documents and PowerPoint
presentations. Join the National Federation of the Blind on March 29 from
2:00 to 3:30 p.m., eastern, to discuss the powerful tools you can use in
either program. Take advantage of this free opportunity and register for
the accessibility boutique
<https://nfb.org/programs-services/center-excellence-nonvisual-access/trainings/accessibility-boutiques/accessibility-boutique-registration>
 today!

*Rideshare Denials Due to Service Animals*

NFB and NAGDU are gathering video interviews about Uber and Lyft denials
from travelers with service animals. We hope to capture stories that
describe the significant barriers and stress travelers experience with each
denial and to use these videos in our advocacy efforts. If you were denied
a ride by Lyft or Uber because of your service animal anytime between
October 1, 2021, and present and would like to participate in a recorded
Zoom interview, please contact the NAGDU board at 346-439-7444 or
board at nagdu.org.

Please Share Content with our Communications Team:

Our affiliates sponsor great content, and our outreach and communications
teams can repurpose and magnify it. We are asking that you record content
like presentations, podcasts, panels, and the like and send the link to
your recorded content with a quick explanation of what the content consists
of to comunicationsteam at nfb.org. Please record anything you are doing as it
is too easy to miss good content. We don’t know how powerful a presentation
or panel will be until it is done. Let’s capture our amazing stories told
across the country.

*Dates to Keep in Mind: (all times eastern)*

   - March 16: Comparison of Collaboration Tools
   <https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/center-excellence-nonvisual-access/trainings/accessibility-boutiques/accessibility-boutique-registration>
accessibility
   boutique
   - March 17: Deadline to register for the Jacobus tenBroek Disability Law
   Symposium
   - March 29: Accessible Excel and PowerPoint Creation
   <https://nfb.org/programs-services/center-excellence-nonvisual-access/trainings/accessibility-boutiques/accessibility-boutique-registration>
accessibility
   boutique
   - March 31: Deadline to submit scholarship application
   <https://nfb.org/scholarships>
   - July 5-10: National Convention, New Orleans