[NFBNJ] Week of May 5, 2022, President Riccobono's Notebook, National Items of Interest and Dates to Keep In Mind

Linda Melendez president at nfbnj.org
Fri May 6 21:07:14 UTC 2022

*President’s Notebook*

*National Federation of the Blind*

*Mark A. Riccobono*

*officeofthepresident at nfb.org* <officeofthepresident at nfb.org>

*410-659-9314*

Dear Federation Family,

It feels like I have been writing a notebook entry on an airplane for each
of the last four or five weeks. It shows the pace of activity is up again
in the movement. I am headed back from New Orleans where we were working on
convention details with the hotel. I know you are all going to love our
first in-person convention in three years, happening right in the French
Quarter in New Orleans. It was so heartwarming to be with members of the
Greater New Orleans Chapter as well as our first vice president, Pam Allen,
and her husband Roland for the Presidential Release. These folks are not
just excited for the convention, they are eagerly anticipating the
opportunity to welcome you to their state and the beauty of the New Orleans
community.

You have heard me say many times over the past few months that our 2022
National Convention, like previous conventions, is going to take the
efforts of all of us to be a success. I am calling all affiliates to
motivate members to the call to be part of our 2022 NFB National Convention
Ambassador Corps. Convention ambassadors are members of the Federation who
give their time and attention to making the convention experience welcoming
and empowering for all participants. Ambassadors take assignments in all
parts of the convention, doing what is needed. Duties may range from
ensuring that lines do not get too crowded in hallways, serving as talking
signs at key points, helping to keep the spirits high and respectful while
crowds flock to the elevators, to assisting first-timers with navigating
the complexities of activities such as banquet exchange. This year we are
taking a new approach to coordinating our convention ambassadors. Our
ambassadors committee will be comprised of a planning group of leaders who
will coordinate assignments for convention ambassadors. Where do the
ambassadors come from? That is where you come in.
Critical Information

*Joseph J. Ruffalo, Jr.*

July 6, 1949 – May 3, 2022

Visitation: Saturday, May 07; 2:00-5:00 p.m.Service: Saturday, May 07; 4:00
p.m.

O'Boyle Funeral Home
309 Broad Street
Bloomfield, NJ 07003

For those who are unable to attend, you are invited to join the Zoom
livestream beginning at 3 PM

https://zoom.us/j/6477660103?pwd=MUl1dnZQU1JxMkhUemdCSHZUM21HUT09

One tap mobile:

+16468769923,,6477660103#,,,,*460994# US (New York)

+13017158592,,6477660103#,,,,*460994# US (Washington DC)

Meeting ID: 647 766 0103

Passcode: 460994

In lieu of flowers, donations can be made by check, PayPal, or debit/credit
card to Joe's favorite organization, the National Federation of the Blind
of New Jersey (NFBNJ). To donate by check please make payable to NFBNJ,
write Ruffalo in the memo and mail to:

NFBNJ

7 Mayfair Road

Southampton, NJ 08088

 To donate by PayPal, Debit/Credit use secure link:
https://www.nfbnj.org/contribution-opportunities/online-donations
News: Important Upcoming Dates Regarding #NFB22:

National convention is two months away. Here are some attendee reminders
for upcoming deadlines:

   - Last day of registration is May 31.
   - Submissions for resolutions in final form are due to the committee
   chair by June 6. Details in the May *Braille Monitor*.
   - Convention career fair registration is opening May 10 and will close
   June 21.

Learn more at https://nfb.org/convention.
“We’re With U!” Global Benefit Concert for Ukraine Update:

Congratulations to the global blind community for making a huge difference
to support the blind of Ukraine. The “We’re With U!” concert was April 16
and had over one hundred blind performers. With the active participation of
the National Federation of the Blind, World Blind Union, and Mushroom FM we
raised over $100,000. The concert is available on demand at MushroomFM.com
<https://mushroomfm.com/> or you can find it at https://nfb.org/blindwithu.
May *Braille Monitor* Available:

The latest issue of the National Federation of the Blind flagship
publication is now available. Read about the 2022 Jacobus tenBroek Law
Symposium, the Blind Driver Challenge, the quest for an accessible COVID-19
test, and stories from members. Access the *Braille Monitor* now
<https://nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/bm/bm22/bm2205/bm2205tc.htm>.
Upcoming Event: Reprise of the Workplace/Employment:

Learn about the technologies blind and low-vision professionals use in the
workplace on a daily basis. Join us on May 31, from 2:00 to 3:30 p.m.
eastern. Register for the May accessibility boutique.
<https://nfb.org/form/accessibility-boutique-reg>
Give $20 Convention Drawing Now Open:

The Give $20 Campaign is a way for individuals to support the three major
funds of the National Federation of the Blind and the Jacobus tenBroek
Memorial Fund and potentially win the grand prize. Individual donors are
eligible for the drawing; donations from affiliates, affiliate divisions,
and national divisions, and local chapters are not eligible for the Give
$20 Campaign. This drawing will support:

   - White Cane Fund
   - KJ Fund (Kenneth Jernigan Fund)
   - SUN Fund
   - tenBroek Fund

And that is not all. Thanks to a generous donation from HumanWare, each
dollar donated will be matched up to $50,000! Donate online on the
dedicated Give $20 contribution Form
<https://nfb.org/civicrm/contribute/transact?reset=1&id=45> or call
410-659-9314, extension 2430; please be sure to indicate that it is a Give
$20 contribution and which fund you select. You can select multiple funds.
Social Security Administration Kiosks:

The NFB continues to monitor the Social Security Administration’s (SSA)
implementation of our 2020 settlement agreement regarding
visitor-intake-processing kiosks. With SSA field offices recently
reopening, we are gathering information about the accessibility of SSA’s
current visitor-intake-processing methods. If you have visited an SSA field
office since their reopening in April 2022, please contact Valerie Yingling
at 410-659-9314, extension 2440, or vyingling at nfb.org to share your
experience. We are specifically gathering information on whether the field
offices are using kiosk, web-based, or human check-in processes, and
whether these processes are accessible to blind individuals.
At-Home COVID-19 Test Template Letter:

The NFB has created a sample letter members can use or modify when
advocating at the state level for distribution of accessible, at-home
COVID-19 tests. The template letter is available at
https://nfb.org/resources/covid-19-resources/covid-19-home-test-information.
Please coordinate with your affiliate and chapter president if you intend
to send a letter to your local government officials.
Dates to Keep in Mind: (all times eastern)

   - May 31: Convention registration
   <https://nfb.org/civicrm/event/register?reset=1&id=479> closes
   - June 6: Resolutions are due to the committee chair
   - June 21: Convention career fair registration closes
   - July 5-10: 2022 National Convention
   <https://nfb.org/get-involved/national-convention>, New Orleans

president at nfbnj.org
www.nfbnj.org