[NFBNJ] Apology
NFB of NJ President
president at nfbnj.org
Sun Aug 23 12:00:00 UTC 2026
National Federation of the Blind of New Jersey community,
On Thursday, August 20th, I sent an email containing private information to
the entire listserv. I want to apologize to the entire affiliate for my
mistake, explain how it occurred, and explain how I will ensure it does not
happen again.
As most of you know, I help watch my grandson while his parents are at
work; being affiliate president is a full-time job, but so is being a Nana,
especially in the summer. Our state convention is less than two months
away, and it is a busy season, so I was trying to multitask and answer
emails on my phone while watching Lucas, and I mixed up the emails I had
open.
In addition to multitasking, I was completing this task while trying to use
my limited remaining eyesight, as I am admittedly not as comfortable yet
using VoiceOver on my phone as I would like to be. Either one of these
raised the risk of a serious error, but I created the perfect storm for an
accident to occur, and I am truly and deeply sorry for this. I say this not
to excuse my actions, but to explain how this happened, as I believe
accountability requires transparency.
This week I am talking to the individuals whose private information was
shared to apologize personally and ask for their forgiveness. I have also
spoken with members of the affiliate board and determined that I need to
become more comfortable using assistive technology; I will be enrolling in
courses to develop the VoiceOver skills I currently lack. I do believe
that with stronger technology skills, I will significantly reduce the risk
of this happening again.
Everybody makes mistakes; however, this mistake should never have occurred,
and I apologize for the failures that led to it. Nobody is above
accountability, including your affiliate president. I own the consequences
of these actions and will work to prevent them in the future. I offer my
sincere apology to the entire National Federation of the Blind of New
Jersey community and commit to doing better moving forward.
--
Warmly,
Linda Melendez, President
National Federation of the Blind of New Jersey
`Phone: 908-590-1747
Email: president at nfbnj.org
Website: www.nfbnj.org
Stay connected:
Events Calendar: https://nfbnj.org/events\
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/NFB-NJ-353099574776238
To set up a 30-minute meeting to talk about the National Federation of the
Blind of NJ, please click on the link below
https://calendly.com/lindamelendez220/30min
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://nfbnet.org/pipermail/nfbnj_nfbnet.org/attachments/20260823/fad63d79/attachment.htm>
More information about the NFBNJ
mailing list