[Nfbo-announce] Access Technology tax credit congressional sponsorship

rjaquiss rjaquiss at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 29 18:20:45 UTC 2017

     The following is from Carla McQuillan and Ryan McBee.

     This is a draft letter to NFBO members so that we can request our delegation to co-sponsor our national legislation. I took the explanation and initial sponsorship information from the Chris Danielson’s press release, as I felt it was succinct and to the point. Please let me know what you think, and make any suggestions as to rewording the letter.

To the Honorable (insert Congress member/Senator)

In January 2017, members of the National Federation of the Blind of Oregon met with your office to discuss issues effecting blind Oregonians. Since January, one of our legislative priorities has become a newly introduced bill in Congress. The Access Technology Affordability Act of 2017 (H.R. 1734, S. 732). The bill was introduced by Representatives David Young (R-IA) and Lucille Roybal-Allard (D-CA) in the House and by Senators John Boozman (R-AR) and Benjamin L. Cardin (D-MD) in the Senate. The legislation will establish a per-person individual refundable tax credit to be used over a multi-year period to offset the cost of access technology for blind people. Access technology includes items such as text-to-speech screen access software and electronic Braille displays that blind people use to access computers, tablets, smart phones, and other devices, as well as digital content.

It would
be greatly appreciated if you signed on as a co-sponsor of (insert HR or S bill number here depending on Congressman or Senator).

Sincerely,

(your name)