[Nfbo-linn-benton] Getting to know other parents and little ones

Kirsty Gmail kirstyvqt at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 03:42:44 UTC 2017

Hi there
I'm pretty new to this group. My name is Kirsty I'm legally blind. I am married and we have 2 daughters. Rhiannon is 4 and fully sighted and Layla will be one this month and inherited my eye condition (congenital cataracts) she had surgery at 5 weeks old and has since been wearing contact lenses. At this time it is hard to say what her visual limitations will be. She can see about 2 ft out clearly and since she has become more mobile and more engaging with us it appears she can see close up pretty well but not as responsive to things further away and definitely wary of people she doesn't recognize (like pretty much every other baby out there).
We live in Lebanon and we attended a live and learn class through LBCC last year so we could get to know other parents with similar age babies and give Layla a safe place to play and explore and interact with others.
I haven't  come  across any other babies with visual impairments in our area and was wondering if there are any members on the list that have a vI child or are vi themselves? I would love to try to get together and get to know other local parents and kids in the area.
Last month Layla had her first home visit through Early intervention and I asked the vision teacher about other kids in the are of similar age to Layla, we see her in a few weeks so will see what she found out

Thank you for your time

Kirsty Miller

Sent from my iPhone