[NFBO-Springfield] NFB of Ohio Springfield Chapter Saturday, August 19, 2022 Chapter Meeting

Todd Elzey toddelzey at gmail.com
Fri Aug 19 20:57:57 UTC 2022

Good afternoon!  It is time again for our monthly chapter meeting. This
will be a great time to get back together following our traditional
National Convention Summer break.  Our meeting will be in the Gaier Room of
the Clark County PUblic Library at 201 S. Fountain Ave., Springfield.,
Ohio. We are looking forward to seeing everyone there. Below is the agenda
for the meeting and minutes of our June 2022 meeting follow the agenda.

Agenda:

1.  Secretary,'s Report

2.  Treasurer's Report

3.  June 21st Springfield Community Fest

4.  Thank-you from See 3-D for $200 donation

5.  Mother Stewart fund-raiser, November 12, 2022

6. 2022 Annual Gavel Report

7.  Wagners moving to South Carolina and invitation to their open house,
August 26, 5:00—9:00

8.  Invite new chapter member

9.  Door prizes and items for auction at State Convention, November 4-6,
Independence, Ohio

10.  Autonomous Vehicles press release

11.  Notes from August Presidential Release

12.  Discussion of article, Don't Throw The Nickel, submitted by Macy
McClain

13.  Next meeting: September 10, Gaier room;

The minutes from the June 18, 2022 meeting are included below:

*National Federation of the Blind of Ohio*

*Springfield Chapter*

*June 18, 2022, Meeting Minutes*

Attendees:

Debbie Baker, President

Todd Elzey, Secretary

Mickie Cooper

Arlie Ray and Gina Ray

Eric Duffy

Aleeha Dudley

Joe Jeffery, New potential member

We started the meeting by calling Tommy’s Double Barrel BBQ regarding being
a vendor at the potential September, 2022, fundraiser.  The Chapter was
considering Veterans Park as a potential venue.  It is run through the
National Trail Parks & Recreation District.  Tommy’s Double Barrel BBQ will
be doing a fundraiser today for Children’s Miracle Network at Walmart and
we will check them out.  Mickie will check with the park district regarding
the services and availability at Veterans Park.

Joe Jeffery was voted in as a new member.  Mickie will take care of adding
Joe to the membership database.

Chapter Treasurer Crystal McClain did not send a treasurer’s report.

CommonsFest will be held June 23, 2022, at National Roads Park across the
street from Mother Stewarts Brewing Company.  The chapter paid $150 to
participate in the event.  President Baker is looking for volunteers to
work at the table during the event.  She is hoping to have people available
to work the crowds to bring in people.  Todd brought literature and kernel
books for the event.  Arlie brought up having a sign.  Todd moved that the
Chapter purchase a branded tablecloth, sign, and canopy for future events.
Arlie seconded the motion. The motion carried without objection

The minutes from the May 2022 meeting were submitted via email to Chapter
members for review. Aleeha moved, and Eric seconded approval of the
minutes. The motion carried without objection.

We talked about Kernel books, walking alone and marching together, and some
other NFB publications.

Ohio Bell Coordinator Eric Duffy talked about the upcoming Ohio BELL
program. This year’s program is scheduled to be a residential program at
Ohio State School for the Blind (OSSB). The program is designed to teach
blindness schools to children ages 4-12.  The 2022 BELL program will run
August 6-13, 2022.  Children are scheduled to arrive at OSSB on August
7th.  The chapter previously donated $300 to the event. Bell is still
looking for volunteers.

The NFB’s National Convention will be held July 5-10, 2022 in New Orleans.
There will also be a virtual experience. The Virtual Experience is limited
to specific convention activities and does not cover the entire agenda.
Convention information can be found at www.nfb.org/convention.

President Baker postponed the article discussion until August when we will
have more members and we can hopefully get an MP3 of the article. “Please
Don’t Throw the Nickel”.

Eric raised the issue of Synchrony Bank’s training on “How to Handle
Customers with Visual Disabilities”/“Handling Customers with Visual
Impairment”. The issue Eric had with the training concept is the concept of
“handling”.  Eric had issues with the use of the word handle because of the
history of sighted people physically assisting without blind people asking
for help or without them being asked if they need help.  We had a robust
discussion on the issue of the use of words and how they shape the
perception of blindness and how they impact how people react to blind
people.

Arlie Ray will be coming up with an article to discuss at the September
2022 meeting.

Gavel report update:

1.    Eric and Aleeha making comments and suggestions to their employer
regarding Blindness and the NFB.  They also use Braille Displays.

2.    Todd working for the NFB National Office as the new Digital
Communications Coordinator

3.    Debbie uses Braille music in Bell Choir and tudors a blind student.
She also will teach at BELL

4.    Aleeha, Joe, Eric, Todd Macy, Arlie, Debbie, (Total of 8 members
subscribe to Newsline)

5.    Amazon Smiles:  Todd, Aleeha, Debbie, the Rays are signed up for the
program

6.    PAC:  Todd, Eric, Debbie

7.    Macy got a Marketing and Events Coordinator Job in Indianapolis.  She
will be moving to Indianapolis in July.

8.    Dan Is the Clark County Library Board President

 Mother Stewart fundraiser will be November 12, 2022. The last event made
$2-3K.  Auction:  Things should come from the Columbus, Dayton, area and
probably no further than Bellefontaine.  Start now to get donations.  Report
commitments to Debbie/Todd so that we can compile a running list.  And
please plan on attending.

State Board of Directors Meeting is September 17, 2022, and it will be an
in-person meeting in Independence Ohio at the 2022 State Convention Hotel.

There will be no meeting in July because of the National Convention.  Next
meeting will be August 20, 2022.