[NFBO-Springfield] WARNING - Fraudulent Emails

Todd Elzey toddelzey at gmail.com
Thu Jun 30 18:05:59 UTC 2022

Fellow Federationists:

I hope everyone is getting excited about National Convention coming up next
week. Unfortunately, this message is not about that fantastic event. I have
just been made aware of another email scam going out wherein I supposedly
ask people to send money to me via Zelle or Venmo. In at least one case, I
supposedly asked a fellow NFB member to send $1500. First, at present the
NFB of Ohio does not and has no plans to use Venmo. So you will never get
an email from me asking for a Venmo payment. Second, pay attention very
closely to the email addresses you receive messages from. While this email
tried to make it look like it came from my Treasurer email, when you look
at it closely, you realize it is not either my personal or official
treasurer email. Finally, pay attention to how messages are worded. If you
look at this carefully. Any email I send asking for a payment will explain
in detail what the payment is for (i.e. a fundraising campaign, Chapter
reimbursement to the State for an approved expense, etc.)  In other words,
you will have a clear explanation of exactly what the payment is for.
Finally, if there is even the slightest doubt in your mind that a message
is legitimate reach out to me directly via an email you know that is mine
or via telephone to verify that I sent the email. I am happy to field calls
regarding this, even on legitimate requests, as it is much easier to not
fall into a scam than it is to get money back once its gone to a scammer.
What I am saying is do not ever send money to someone unless you are 100%
its legitimate. Thanks for your help in protecting our financial resources,
and please let me know if you have any questions.

Todd Elzey, Treasurer