[NFBofAlaska] Center for the Blind December Support Groups, come join us!

lucas.bonnie at gmail.com lucas.bonnie at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 02:11:20 UTC 2020

(2021 large print calendars are now available. Call Jocelyn at 248-7770.)

Happy Holiday Friends,

In the middle of this Holiday Season, we find many who are experiencing
sorrow, others loneliness and still others are experiencing physical pain
and suffering. One might wonder if anyone is finding joy in the season this
year. Hopefully many of you find yourselves enjoying your time with a bubble
of close loved ones. Whatever your circumstance, we at the Alaska Center for
the Blind and Visually Impaired are hoping to enjoy your presence as we once
again indulge in three support groups;  different in scope and content.  We
want to reach out to all of you with your various needs and concerns about
your vision loss.

DATES AND TIME:
ALWAYS WEDNESDAY: December 2, December 9, and December 16
TIME: Always 1:00

You may join by computer or cell phone
.
To join with a computer, click this link.
<https://us02web.zoom.us/j/86818066187?pwd=b2YxQS9YZHAwaHNaS3ZGK0svWktEdz09>

To join by phone, call this number. On many Smart Phones, you may tap the
phone number, ID number and passcode will all be dialed for you. Simply wait
patiently as the numbers are put in for you. If you are using Voice Over or
Talkback, you may have to double tap the word call twice. Otherwise, you
should not have to press any numbers. It was tested about three times!
One tap mobile
+13462487799,,86818066187#,,,,,,0#,,1111#

Topics for December support groups:

1. Talking to SIRI and Alexa. Come learn how you can take charge of
technology that will follow your command if you know how to give it.

2. Holiday movies, have you given up on watching them because you can no
longer see what's going on? Come "watch" a movie with us and bring this
simple pleasure back into your life.

3. How about doing a project with others over Zoom or the phone. Sound wild?
If you are interested, now is the time to call Bonnie at 907-771-4306 or
send an email to blucas at alaskabvi.org<mailto:blucas at alaskabvi.org>. We need
to know as soon as possible so we can send you the ingredients for the spice
packet that is a part of the recipe. Here is the recipe we will be using.

Slow Cooker Cider Recipe

TOTAL TIME: Prep: 5 min. Cook: 2 hours
MAKES: 8 servings

Ingredients
2 cinnamon sticks (3 inches)
1 teaspoon whole cloves
1 teaspoon whole allspice
A few black peppercorns
2-4 cardamom pods, pressed until they just crack open
2 quarts apple cider
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 orange, sliced

Directions
1. Place cinnamon, cloves, pepper, cardamom, and allspice on a double
thickness of cheesecloth; bring up corners of cloth and tie with a string to
form a bag.
2. Place cider and brown sugar in a 3-qt. slow cooker; stir until sugar
dissolves. Add spice bag. Place orange slices on top. Cover and cook on low
for
2-3 hours or until heated through. Discard spice bag. Yield: 2 quarts.
Originally published as Slow Cooker Cider in Taste of Home December/January
1997, p13

Bonnie Lucas, MS, CVRT, MSW
Braille and Technology Instructor, VISA Coordinator Equipping Alaskans for
Success Alaska Center for the Blind and Visually Impaired
3903 Taft Drive
Anchorage, Alaska  99517
Phone: (907) 248-7770    Direct: (907) 771-4306
www.alaskabvi.org       www.facebook.com/alaskabvi

Bonnie Lucas
President
National Federation of the Blind of Alaska
907-301-6808
nfbofalaska at gmail.com
nfbalaska.org

blindness is not what holds you back.

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D38583.D76D9790]

The Center is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization. Call or visit our website
to learn more about how our work transforms lives.
This message contains information that may be confidential or privileged. If
you are not the intended recipient, copying or distribution of any of its
contents is prohibited. If you have received this message in error, kindly
contact the sende