[NFBofAlaska] NFB Notes from Presidents Mark Riccobono and Bonnie Lucas, Please Read!

lucas.bonnie at gmail.com lucas.bonnie at gmail.com
Sun Jan 31 00:46:09 UTC 2021

Greetings to each of you!

There is a bit of catching up to do so I encourage you to read my notes
completely and carefully, so you won't miss anything! I hope each of you is
doing well as we continue to be mostly locked down. It is wonderful to see
our numbers here in Alaska going down and hopefully they will continue in
the same direction.

IMPORTANT NOTES:

Washington Seminar is here

Each year the National Federation of the Blind descends on the capital with
over 500 members bringing a list of priorities for congress to consider and
ultimately pass. Though we cannot attend in person, we are in the process of
finalizing Zoom appointments with each of our three legislators. If you are
interested in participating, either by listening in to any of our
legislative meetings or if you desire to help explain one of the
initiatives, please write me immediately. There will be some training on
Monday, February 7 as well as the "Great Gathering In," This is a "rally,"
of sorts and is most exhilarating! Naturally, in our current virtual
situation, it will be different but exciting, nonetheless.

You may learn about and study the priorities that we are taking to congress
by going to this link
<https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/advocacy/washington-seminar/washingto
n-seminar-priorities#main-content>

There are four initiatives, and each may be accessed as an HTML document,
Word document or in MP3 format.

Their titles are:

*      Access Technology Affordability Act

*      Medical Device Nonvisual Accessibility Act

*      Twenty-First Century Mobile Apps and Website Accessibility Act

*      Americans with Disabilities Voting Rights Act

Rather than explain each one here, I would prefer to have a meeting with
those who are interested in participating in one way or another. We want to
be effective advocates, so study and practice of the priorities are expected
of those who provide information to congress. Generally, each meeting lasts
no more than 20 minutes. Currently, only Senator Murkowski has given a
definite response. We are in discussion with Congressman Young and have not
heard from Senator Sullivan's office. I will be attempting to get in touch
with him on Monday. I hope to have meeting schedules finalized by Tuesday.

Attend the February Presidential Release on February 1-Captioning and
Spanish Available:

The February Presidential Release of the National Federation of the Blind
will be delivered on Monday, February 1, at 8:00 p.m. eastern. After the
remarks there is an opportunity for questions. Submit questions in advance
to cdanielsen at nfb.org <mailto:cdanielsen at nfb.org>  and put PR502 in the
subject line, or call 410-659-9314, extension 2473. Closed captions and
Spanish interpretation will be available. Mark your calendars. Zoom details
will be available soon. Learn about the many ways to participate
<https://www.nfb.org/civicrm/event/info?reset=1&id=430> .

Access Technology Affordability Act Introduced in the House:

Introduced in the House on January 21, the Access Technology Affordability
Act legislation removes an employment barrier commonly experienced by blind
Americans who cannot afford the high cost of access technology by creating a
refundable tax credit in the amount of $2,000 to be used over a three-year
period to offset the cost of these technologies. Read the full press release
now
<https://www.nfb.org/about-us/press-room/national-federation-blind-applauds-
introduction-access-technology-2> .

Scholarship Program-Start Applications Now:

The National Federation of the Blind awards more than $120,000 to blind
scholars across the country. The application process is open, and we
encourage students to start the process now. Review the scholarship
application checklist
<https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/scholarships-and-awards/scholarship-p
rogram/scholarship-program-application-checklist>  and the scholarship
program FAQs
<https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/scholarships-and-awards/scholarship-p
rogram/scholarship-program-faqs> . Share this opportunity that invests in
the future of blind people. Learn about the eligibility and requirements of
the 2021 NFB Scholarship Program
<https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/scholarships-and-awards/scholarship-p
rogram>  and start the application process now.

NFB BELL Academy In-Home Edition:

The NFB BELLR Academy In-Home Edition is back and better than ever! This
summer, using the Zoom web conferencing platform, two-week-long sessions of
the NFB BELL Academy will take place during the following dates:

*      June 7 through June 18

*      July 19 through July 30

*      August 9 through August 20

This year we will be organizing students into three tracks (beginning,
intermediate, and advanced) with lessons in each track that correspond to
the students' current level. In order to make this possible, the deadline to
apply will be one month prior to the start of each session. Applications in
English and Spanish will be live on February 15, 2021. For more information,
please reach out to Karen Anderson at kanderson at nfb.org
<mailto:kanderson at nfb.org>  or at 410-659-9314.

Jacobus tenBroek Disability Law Symposium Registration:

Registration is now open
<https://www.nfb.org/civicrm/event/register?reset=1&id=337&participantrole=c
4ca4238a0b923820dcc509a6f75849b>  for the 2021 Jacobus tenBroek Disability
Law Symposium. Join nationally renowned disability rights advocates at the
United States' leading disability law symposium, held virtually this year
March 24-26, 2021, as we examine issues relating to race, diversity,
inclusion, and the right to live in the world. Registration is $100, and
student registration is free. Visit the law symposium webpage
<https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/legal-program/jacobus-tenbroek-disabi
lity-law-symposium>  to view the agenda and speaker bios.

Thank You:

Thanks go to our District of Columbia affiliate for a generous recent
contribution. Financial support from our affiliates helps us all keep moving
forward.

Toastmaster Magazine Added to NFB-NEWSLINE:

We are pleased to announce the addition of Toastmaster magazine to the
NFB-NEWSLINER service. Toastmasters International is a nonprofit educational
organization that teaches public speaking and leadership through a worldwide
network of clubs. Since 1924, Toastmasters International has helped people
from diverse backgrounds become more confident speakers, communicators, and
leaders. Toastmaster is published monthly and is located under the General
Interest category of Magazines.

Before closing this newsy note, I want you to know how honored I feel to be
the affiliate president for the National Federation of the Blind of Alaska.
I have several ideas that I believe will improve our outreach to you and the
quality of our monthly All-State Meetings. If you have thoughts or ideas to
share, please write or call so we can discuss them. You may expect more
information from me soon regarding some important matters of our dynamic
organization. Thanks to each of you for your support.

Warmest Regards,

Bonnie Lucas

President

National Federation of the Blind of Alaska

907-301-6808

 <mailto:nfbofalaska at gmail.com> nfbofalaska at gmail.com

 <mailto:nfbofalaska at gmail.com> nfbalaska.org

blindness is not what holds you back.