[NFBofAlaska] Important Upcoming National Convention Notes

lucas.bonnie at gmail.com lucas.bonnie at gmail.com
Tue Jun 15 05:46:10 UTC 2021

Good Evening,

Here are some notes that I hope will be helpful and enlightening to
everyone. Please read carefully and write or call with questions. If your
question is a more personal one, please email me at

lucas.bonnie at gmail.com <mailto:lucas.bonnie at gmail.com> .

If it is not personal and it is a question that others may have, simply hit
reply and everyone will see your question. Hope that helps!

Policies to Be Considered:

As the supreme authority of the organization, the convention assembled
elects leaders and sets policies and priorities. Delegates and members in
attendance normally need to be in-person to vote, but the board has proposed
rules of engagement for the virtual environment. Similar rules were adopted
in 2020. This information will also be posted on nfb.org/convention.

*	Review the proposed rules of engagement for the
<https://nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/bm/bm21/bm2106/bm210603.htm> 2021
NFB Virtual Convention
*	Review a
<https://nfb.org/get-involved/national-convention/2021-june-board-resolution
-establish-fund-support-surviviors-under> board resolution being recommended
to the convention to establish a fund to support survivors under our code of
conduct.
*	Review proposed resolutions-which will be posted under
nfb.org/resolutions as soon as the committee has processed them.

News:

Pre-Convention Activity-Zoom Cooking and Cocktails for Banquet:

Plan to attend Feasting Together: Cooking and Cocktails, a pre-convention
activity to help prepare for the banquet, on June 30 at 6:00 p.m. eastern
via Zoom. Federationists Regina Mitchell and Hoby Wedler will share a couple
of recipes and give tips to having a successful banquet dinner no matter
what your planned meal is. Please send your planned menu or any cooking
questions to  <mailto:communications at nfb.org> communications at nfb.org. Zoom
details and agenda coming soon.

Reminder for First Time Convention Attendees-Convention Concierge Service:

Submit interest by June 15! Access the Convention Concierge Service, hosted
by the Kenneth Jernigan Committee: Let's connect you with someone who can
help break the ice, tap into our network, and answer your questions about
all things national convention. Email  <mailto:rookie at nfb.org>
rookie at nfb.org or drop us a voicemail at 410-659-9314, extension 2020, by
June 15 to let us know that you are interested. Please include your name,
preferred telephone number, what state you are joining us from, and a few
things that you want us to know when matching you with mentors (e.g., life
goals, if you are a guide dog user, if you are perhaps a parent of a blind
child, if you are a student, what are your hobbies, the types of individuals
you would like to meet, etc.).

Give $20 Convention Drawing:

Each year, thousands of Federation members and friends make donations to
fund our great programs. Your continued support is needed. When you
participate in the
<https://nfb.org/civicrm/mailing/url?u=20749&qid=5147870> Give $20 campaign
you will be entered into the Give $20 convention drawing (formerly known as
the Kenneth Jernigan convention drawing) AND help our work to change lives
for blind people across the country. Visit the
<https://nfb.org/get-involved/national-convention/give-20-convention-drawing
> Give $20 Convention Drawing page to learn how to contribute and qualify.
Please note: The drawing is for individuals and is not intended for
contributions by divisions, state affiliates, or chapters.

Join the National Association of Blind Students at Convention:

Our national student division is calling all blind students and allies to
join us for our exciting convention programming. After having a blast at
NABS Networking, plan to attend the business meeting, happening on July 7 at
8:00 p.m., by registering using  <https://forms.gle/D9jKCUTPt6HfPKUK8> this
form. Please note that anyone can register to attend up until the start of
the convention on July 6, 2021. However, if you intend to vote in this
year's election process, you must be registered and have paid your dues by
June 21, 2021. For more information, we invite you to check out this
<https://nabslink.org/national-convention> NABS at National Convention page.

PAC Prizes:

Every year the Pre-Authorized Contribution program holds various contests
during the national convention for which NFB affiliates and individual
members contribute to the prizes. We are again asking NFB affiliates and
national divisions to support our fun PAC contests by contributing cash
donations to the contest prizes. Please make checks payable to National
Federation of the Blind, 200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230,
Attention: Fiscal Services - PAC. You should also send an email to
<mailto:PAC at nfb.org> PAC at nfb.org to let us know you are sending a
contribution for the contest prizes and the full name of the organization
that the contribution is from. We want to make sure we recognize your
organization in our thank-you list. You can contact Scott LaBarre
(slabarre at nfb.org <mailto:slabarre at nfb.org> ) or Bridgid Burke (
<mailto:bburke at nfb.org> bburke at nfb.org or extension 2271) if you have any
questions. We are looking forward to another fun-PACked convention!

Attention Parents:

Are you a parent of a blind child? Will you be joining us for the national
convention of the National Federation of the Blind for the first time in
2021? Or, have you joined us for convention before, but still feel lost,
overwhelmed, or have questions about parent activities, the convention as a
whole, or navigating the virtual environment? Or have you been coming to
conventions for years and want to help new families have a positive
convention experience? If you answered yes to any of the above, then you are
in luck! The National Organization of Parents of Blind Children (NOPBC) will
be offering two "Convention 411" sessions to introduce a few NOPBC board
members so you feel a little more connected, go over NOPBC activities,
discuss general convention activities including the NFB board meeting and
general sessions, highlight "shouldn't miss" events and why they are
important for parents and families, and answer any questions you may have
about this extremely exciting, yet very busy week.

We will be offering this session twice; you do not need to attend both
sessions. Sessions will also be recorded in case you cannot listen to either
one live. Of course, during recorded sessions you cannot ask questions, so
we hope you will make the time to join us if at all possible so we can give
you the information you are looking for.

Please join us on Sunday, June 27, from 4:00-6:00 p.m. eastern time

 <https://zoom.us/j/96476022977> https://zoom.us/j/96476022977

Meeting ID: 964 7602 2977

One tap mobile

+13126266799,,96476022977# US (Chicago)

Or Thursday, July 1, from 8:00-10:00 p.m. eastern time

 <https://zoom.us/j/94575291675> https://zoom.us/j/94575291675

Meeting ID: 945 7529 1675

One tap mobile

+13017158592,,94575291675# US (Washington DC)

OurFamilyWizard App:

We are investigating the accessibility of the
<https://www.ourfamilywizard.com/> OurFamilyWizard co-parenting app. If you
use, or have tried to use, OurFamilyWizard with screen access software,
please contact Valerie Yingling, legal program coordinator, at
<mailto:vyingling at nfb.org> vyingling at nfb.org to report your experience.

Access Technology Affordability Act:

Last Wednesday Senators Kirsten Gillibrand (NY) and Jerry Moran (KS)
cosponsored S. 212, the Access Technology Affordability Act. This brings us
closer to our goal of having 25 senate cosponsors by the end of next week.
Please continue to urge your senators and your representative to cosponsor
this legislation.

The Latest Issue of Future Reflections Available:

 <https://nfb.org/resources/publications-and-media/future-reflections>
Future Reflections is a quarterly magazine for parents and teachers of blind
children that offers resources and information based on the National
Federation of the Blind's positive philosophy of blindness. Read and share
this special issue on COVID and beyond. Access the
<https://nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/fr/fr40/2/fr4002tc.htm> recent
Future Reflections now.

Recent Blog: "Ten Advantages of Being Blind"

Social media can be a place to share the love of our identity with everyone.
Read Julie McGinnity's post about "Ten Advantages of Being Blind" in our
recent  <https://nfb.org/blog/ten-advantages-being-blind> Voice of the
Nation's Blind Blog.

Thanks to NFB of Kansas and NFB of Kansas Johnson County Chapter:

Appreciation goes out to our Kansas affiliate and the NFB of Kansas Johnson
County chapter for recent generous contributions. We do it all together with
love, hope, and determination. You are appreciated.

Dates to Keep in Mind:

(all times eastern)

*	June 29: Rookie Roundup, 8:30 p.m.

July 6-10: NFB National Convention, anywhere and everywhere

I am also including this note from the NFB of Maryland, the Convention host
affiliate this year:

Lounge wear is the uniform of the virtual meeting so be sure to order your
comfortable NFB scrubs for national convention from the host affiliate, the
National Federation of the Blind of Maryland. NFB Convention Scrubs are what
all the cool members will be wearing at virtual banquet!

This set of scrubs contains both a short-sleeved scrub top and drawstring
scrub pants, both with pockets. The set is navy blue and both the top and
pants feature a charming red crab with the NFB logo in white as well as the
words "It's a Maryland thing" in white writing.

Scrubs are available via the link below in sizes 2X Small, X small, small,
medium, large, X Large, 2X Large, 3X Large, and 4X Large. They are also
available in limited supply in Tall sizes for Mediums and above. Those
interested in tall sizes should email Convention at nfbmd.org
<mailto:Convention at nfbmd.org>  or call 443-426-4110.

 $45 per scrub set including shipping

In order to ensure delivery prior to Convention, orders must be received by
June 25, 2021

Visit http://nfbmd.org/scrubs

Ronza Othman, President

Bonnie Lucas
President
National Federation of the Blind of Alaska
Cell: 907-301-6808

Email: lucas.bonnie at gmail.com <mailto:lucas.bonnie at gmail.com>

Web: alaskanfb.org <https://alaskanfb.org/>
blindness is not what holds you back.