[NFBofAlaska] Important Notes from the NFB of Alaska

lucas.bonnie at gmail.com lucas.bonnie at gmail.com
Tue Aug 2 06:04:42 UTC 2022

Dear Friends and NFB Family,

Hopefully, you have been enjoying a nice summer with the cool and often
rainy weather. For those who have been hiking, fishing, or camping, you have
truly been living the good life!

I will now share important NFB news I hope will spark your interest, and
bring you to our next meeting on Saturday, August 13, at the Alaska Center
for the Blind, beginning at 1:00.

On our National NFB scene, the first convention to be held in three years
took place in New Orleans during the week of July fifth through the tenth,
and had a final registration number of twenty-four hundred participants. I
was fortunate to be among them and I assure you, it was amazing to see so
many friends and acquaintances. A much larger number participated in the
virtual event.

Now, from the desk of President Mark Riccobono:

*         I want to emphasize the opportunity we announced at the NFB board
meeting during convention for a chapter in your affiliate to host the
October Presidential Release Live. Here is some text you can use to promote
that within your affiliate:

*         "Host a Presidential Release LIVE in your affiliate! By chapter,
affiliate, or even region, we are asking you to submit a brief proposal to
have the October Presidential Release LIVE in your area. We will come to
you! Please email membership at nfb.org <mailto:membership at nfb.org>  your pitch
on what the release setup would be and any details that would help us
determine that your chapter is the right host for this opportunity. Why
should we come to you? Be creative and share stories on how it will help
your chapter build the Federation. Ideally the release would take place on
September 30, October 1, or October 2, 2022. Deadline to submit your
proposal is Sunday, August 28, and we will announce the accepted proposal on
the September release.

*

If you think that is something we should do, feel free to submit a proposal
to me and our board will discuss it so we can make a proposal. It may take
some work but could be a blast!

*         REVISED CONSTITUTION

Our national organization has a newly revised constitution which was
approved by the convention. You are invited to check it out at

https://nfb.org/about-us/history-and-governance/constitution.

*         MARK YOUR CALENDAR FOR THE AUGUST PRESIDENTIAL RELEASE

The Presidential Release for August will be held tomorrow, August 2,  at
4:00 Alaska time on YouTube and Zoom.  You may find connecting information
at the bottom of this email.

*         #NFB22 Highlights are now available:

The 2022 NFB National Convention highlights, in various formats, became
available on July 30. Access the Presidential Report, resolutions, banquet
speech, and YouTube archives:

*         Spirit, Togetherness, and Service: The Signature of the Blind
People's Movement <https://nfb.org/civicrm/mailing/url?u=26642&qid=>

*         2022 Presidential Report
<https://nfb.org/civicrm/mailing/url?u=26643&qid=>

*         2022 Resolutions
<https://nfb.org/civicrm/mailing/url?u=26644&qid=>

*         YouTube Playlist of General Sessions
<https://nfb.org/civicrm/mailing/url?u=26645&qid=>

Thanks again to our members, sponsors, exhibitors, and everyone who made
#NFB22 a success.

*         Read Our Latest Post on Voice of the Nation's Blind Blog:

Longtime Federationist, Todd Elzey, wrote about his employment experiences
and excitement for the promotion of self-employment opportunities in the
recent post,
<https://nfb.org/blog/entrepreneurism-solution-unemployment-and-underemploym
ent-blind> "Entrepreneurism: A Solution to Unemployment and Underemployment
of the Blind."

*         July Braille Monitor Available:

The latest issue of our flagship publication is now available. Read about
the coverage on the "We're With U!" concert, discussion on chapter chatter,
stories from members, and more. Access the
<https://nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/bm/bm22/bm2207/bm2207tc.htm>
Braille Monitor now.

*         We Did It!:

Thanks to all of you and a gift from Netflix, we reached our goal of $50,000
in the Give $20 campaign. HumanWare will match that gift. Everyone who
contributed, spread the word, and otherwise made this possible can be
pleased by the results.

*         Availability of Accessible At-Home COVID-19 Tests:

The Biden-Harris Administration, with assistance from the National
Federation of the Blind, launched an initiative to offer free at-home
testing options that are accessible for people who are blind or have low
vision. The tests work with a Bluetooth-enabled smartphone app to provide
users with audible instructions and test results. If any affiliates would be
interested in a shipment of tests to distribute during state conventions or
other related events, please send the contact's name, phone, email, ship-to
address, and quantity desired to Pat Miller pmiller at nfb.org
<mailto:pmiller at nfb.org> . (Note: The tests are shipped in boxes of
forty-eight.) Please let us know if you think your affiliate would be
interested in the opportunity. And thanks again for your partnership!

SSA Kiosks:

The NFB continues to seek information about the accessibility of the Social
Security Administration's current visitor-intake-processing methods. If you
have visited an SSA field office since their reopening in April 2022, plan
to visit an office soon, or would be interested in being a tester for the
NFB, please contact Valerie Yingling at 410-659-9314, extension 2440, or
legal at nfb.org <mailto:legal at nfb.org> . We are specifically gathering
information on whether the field offices are using kiosk, web-based, or
human check-in processes, and whether these processes are accessible to
blind individuals.

Uber and Lyft Ride Denials:

The NFB continues to gather information regarding ride denials not only due
to service animals, but also related to a traveler's use of a white cane, as
well as access barriers on the companies' apps. We know that Uber and Lyft
drivers continue to discriminate and request that you complete NFB
<https://nfb.org/programs-services/legal-program/rideshare-discrimination-su
rvey> 's survey and share your experiences with us for our continued legal
advocacy. We are especially interested in hearing from individuals who use
Uber and who do not have their own account, using either a third-party
service such as GoGo Grandparent; paratransit, concierge, or medical
appointment dispatchers; or who use Uber via a friend, spouse, or other
individual's account.

Dates to Keep in Mind:

(all times eastern)

*	August 2: Presidential Release
*	August 31: Deadline for affiliates to request Action Fund Braille
calendars
*	January 30, 2023: Great Gathering-In
*	March 23, 2023: Jacobus tenBroek Disability Law Symposium

*         Locally, Alaska has a primary election on August 16. We will talk
about it during our next meeting but if you have questions, please go to the
Division of Elections website at

https://www.elections.alaska.gov/

I would also be happy to try to answer any questions you might have.

*         Plans have begun to take root for our NFB of Alaska fall
convention to be held, this year, on November fourth and fifth. We are
hoping to have many in the blind community attend as the speakers are
informative and inspiring; the food is delicious and there are opportunities
to meet new people and make lifelong friends. Stay tuned for more
information in the next few weeks.

*         Finally, here is the information for tomorrow's Presidential
Release:

Topics include:

*	News about recent developments
*	Critical actions and legislative alerts
*	Important dates and upcoming events
*	News from the Federation family
*	Question and Answer session

Submit questions in advance to cdanielsen at nfb.org
<https://nfb.org/civicrm/mailing/url?u=26748&qid=7397428>  and put PR518 in
the subject line, or call 410-659-9314, extension 2473.

Join via Zoom

*	Zoom via web: https://zoom.us/j/94861022130
<https://nfb.org/civicrm/mailing/url?u=26749&qid=7397428>
*	Zoom One Tap Mobile: +13017158592,,94861022130#
*	Zoom via phone: +1 301 715 8592
*	Zoom Meeting ID: 948 6102 2130

More Ways to Access

*	Closed Captions via 1CapApp
<https://nfb.org/civicrm/mailing/url?u=26750&qid=7397428>
*	YouTube Stream
<https://nfb.org/civicrm/mailing/url?u=26751&qid=7397428>
*	Access our live stream by asking your Amazon device to play
"Nation's Blind"

*         Thank you for participating actively in the efforts of the
National Federation of the Blind to achieve equality, opportunity, and
security for the blind.

As your president here in Alaska, I thank you for your friendship and
support. Please don't hesitate to call on me when you have questions about
this collective and progressive organization that strives to bring equality
and equity to all blind and low vision people.

You are cordially invited to see what we are up to!

My Humble Regards,

Bonnie Lucas
President
National Federation of the Blind of Alaska
Cell: 907-301-6808

Email: lucas.bonnie at gmail.com <mailto:lucas.bonnie at gmail.com>

Web: alaskanfb.org <https://alaskanfb.org/>
blindness is not what holds you back.