[NFBofAlaska] National Federation of the Blind 2022 Washington Seminar Remote

lucas.bonnie at gmail.com lucas.bonnie at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 05:13:22 UTC 2022

Good Evening Everyone,

If you are not familiar with Washington Seminar as carried out by the
National Federation of the Blind, I'd like to share just a little about this
Phenomenal event. Each February, since the 1970's, every state brought blind
and low vision constituents to share a legislative agenda with our members
of congress. We will still be bringing requested legislation before
congress, but it will be virtual. Below is a very brief list of the issues.
Please read them and if you are interested in participating this year,
please let me know as soon as possible. We will be sharing this information
with are three Alaska Legislators, Lisa Murkowski, Dan Sullivan and Don
Young. Often we talk with a staff member and they are able to pass along our
information and even influence them after talking with us. Below the brief
description of our agenda, you will be able to click on a link where you can
read, in more detail, about each of the topics.

Priorities for the 117th Congress, Second Session

who believe
in the hopes and dreams of the nation's blind. Every day we work together to
help blind people
live the lives we want.

The Access Technology Affordability Act (ATAA) (H.R. 431/S. 212)

The cost of critically needed access technology is out of reach for most
blind Americans.

The Access Technology Affordability Act will improve affordability of
critically needed access technology necessary for employment and independent
living.

Medical Device Nonvisual Accessibility Act (H.R. 4853)

Advanced digital interfaces create barriers that prevent blind individuals
from independently and safely operating home-use medical devices that are
essential to their daily healthcare needs. The Medical Device Nonvisual
Accessibility Act will end unequal access to home-use medical devices for
blind Americans.

Twenty-First Century Websites & Applications Accessibility Act

Websites are required by law to be accessible, but without implementing
regulations most businesses and retailers have little understanding of what
accessible means. The Twenty-First Century Websites and Applications
Accessibility Act will end website and mobile application inaccessibility
for blind Americans.

Transformation to Competitive Integrated Employment Act (H.R. 2373/S. 3238)

Section 14(c) of the Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938 permits employers to
pay people with disabilities at a rate less than the federal minimum wage
and, in many cases, separated from their coworkers without disabilities. The
Transformation to Competitive Integrated Employment Act will end this
antiquated and discriminatory practice for all Americans with disabilities.

THESE PRIORITIES WILL REMOVE OBSTACLES TO EDUCATION, EMPLOYMENT, AND
INDEPENDENT LIVING. WE URGE CONGRESS TO SUPPORT OUR LEGISLATIVE INITIATIVES.

https://nfb.org/programs-services/advocacy/washington-seminar

Bonnie Lucas
President
National Federation of the Blind of Alaska
Cell: 907-301-6808

Email: lucas.bonnie at gmail.com <mailto:lucas.bonnie at gmail.com>

Web: alaskanfb.org <https://alaskanfb.org/>
blindness is not what holds you back.