[NFBofAlaska] Important News from the NFB of Alaska

lucas.bonnie at gmail.com lucas.bonnie at gmail.com
Sun Mar 6 07:46:23 UTC 2022

News, News, and more News!

Greetings to my NFB friends, and Associates,

I invite and strongly encourage you to read this letter to its completion as
the information herein is extremely important. There are upcoming events
both locally and nationally. So, here we go!

The Time to Complete Scholarship Applications is Now

On the National level, I recently attended a meeting about our National
Scholarship program. If you are not aware, the NFB gives out thirty
scholarships and the amount to be given to each recipient is a whopping
eight thousand dollars. If you have applied previously, please apply again.
I am personally aware of someone who applied THREE times before being
awarded a scholarship. If you are a student, and we have talked in the past,
please know that I will be calling you and encouraging you to apply. For
first timers, do not fret if you are not selected in your first year. Each
applicant should consider coming and if it is their first convention,
applying for the Kenneth Jernigan scholarship is recommended. If you know of
someone beginning their college studies at an accredited college or
university, please give them my contact information. Also, the student does
not have to be a member of the NFB or planning on attending school in
Alaska. Applications must be submitted by March 31, and I need to interview
each applicant so I can write a letter of recommendation. Please act
quickly!

Continuing on the Topic of Scholarships!

thanks to Stephen Priddle and the Vanda Pharmaceutical Company, the Alaska
NFB is awarding two five-hundred-dollar scholarships and we are anxious to
have students apply. Our closing date is April 30. Again, please pass this
information far and wide!

There is a New Smart Phone on the Block

Blind and low vision Alaskans will have the opportunity to learn about a new
smart phone this Thursday, via Zoom. The phone is called the RealsSAM
Pocket. It has been introduced in the UK and is being introduced in the US
this month. Our introduction will occur on Thursday evening. The meeting
will begin at 6:30 as an NFB All State meeting. There will be important
announcements and some invigorating chat time. The remainder of the meeting
will be turned over to Anat Nielman for the phone presentation. You may
check it out at

 <https://realsam.us/> https://realsam.us/

The Zoom link will be sent out on Monday so stay tuned!

National NFB News:

Attend 2022 NFB BELL® Academy: Applications Now Open!

Please share this information with parents of children ages four to twelve.
The NFB BELL Academy In-Home Edition program will take place July 18-August
5, 2022. Students and families will receive Braille and other fun materials
for lessons, connect with experienced teachers, and build relationships with
other blind students and mentors. Please pass this link along to those that
would like to apply:  <https://nfb.org/programs-services/nfb-bell-academy>
https://nfb.org/programs-services/nfb-bell-academy.

2022 National Convention Registration Is Open:

The 2022 National Federation of the Blind National Convention registration
is now open until May 31, 2022. Registration is $25 per person. Banquet
tickets for Sunday, July 10, are $70 per person. Please review our 2022
National Convention Safety Protocols
<https://nfb.org/get-involved/national-convention/2022-national-convention-s
afety-protocols>  and the National Federation of the Blind Code of Conduct
<https://nfb.org/about-us/history-and-governance/code-conduct>  prior to
registering. Register online now!
<https://nfb.org/civicrm/event/register?reset=1&id=479>  Details regarding
convention can be found at nfb.org/convention
<file:///C:/Users/slamkin/AppData/Local/Microsoft/Windows/INetCache/Content.
Outlook/LZI0T9JA/nfb.org/convention> . Also, check out the latest Braille
Monitor article, “New Orleans: Site of 2022 Convention
<https://nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/bm/bm22/bm2203/bm220301.htm> ” by
John Berggren.

Access Technology Affordability Act:

Great news! This past week, eight new cosponsors were added to the Access
Technology Affordability Act in the House and one in the Senate. We are now
up to 145 cosponsors on H.R. 431, and 36 cosponsors on S. 212. This is the
largest number of cosponsors we have ever had on the Access Technology
Affordability Act in both chambers of Congress. Let’s keep up the momentum!

Jacobus tenBroek Disability Law Symposium:

Registration is now open
<https://nfb.org/civicrm/event/register?reset=1&id=476>  for the 2022
Jacobus tenBroek Disability Law Symposium. Join nationally renowned
disability rights advocates at the United States’ leading disability law
symposium, held virtually this year March 24–March 25, 2022, as we examine
the right of people with disabilities to live in in a world of pandemics,
political polarization, and natural disasters. Registration is $100, and
student registration is $25. Visit the law symposium webpage
<https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/legal-program/jacobus-tenbroek-disabi
lity-law-symposium>  for additional information about the symposium.

Apply for 2022 Bolotin Awards:

The National Federation of the Blind is accepting nominations of individuals
or organizations who are a positive force in the lives of blind people and
help us transform dreams into reality. Each application must include a
letter of recommendation. Learn more and submit a nomination for the 2022
Dr. Jacob Bolotin Awards
<https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/scholarships-and-awards/dr-jacob-bolo
tin-awards/application-information> .

March Braille Monitor Available:

The latest issue of the National Federation of the Blind flagship
publication is now available. Read about the site of the 2022 National
Convention, technology and ableism, immersion training, the purpose of
discussion in the publication, and many stories from members.
<https://nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/bm/bm22/bm2203/bm2203tc.htm> Access
the Braille Monitor now.

Career Opportunities:

The National Federation of the Blind is seeking talented individuals to join
our staff team. We have several openings in various areas of interest
including Braille production; diversity, equity, and inclusion; digital
communications; fiscal services; and membership. We encourage candidates
seeking to join our movement to submit a general interest cover letter and
résumé to us expressing the types of positions being sought. Learn more and
share the opportunities: https://nfb.org/about-us/career-opportunities

You’ve Made it to the End!

Thank you for taking the time to learn about the NFB, both on the National
and local levels. The National Federation of the Blind welcomes all blind
people, parents of blind children, blind students, those losing vision, and
more. We are a family of members and friends that knows that blindness is
not the characteristic that defines you or your future. You can live the
life you want.

Final Note

“What happens to a frog’s car when it breaks down?”

“It gets toad away.”

If that happens to you, we want to hear all about it at our next meeting,
Thursday, March 10 at 6:30.

Warmest Regards,

Bonnie Lucas
President
National Federation of the Blind of Alaska
Cell: 907-301-6808

Email: lucas.bonnie at gmail.com <mailto:lucas.bonnie at gmail.com>

Web: alaskanfb.org <https://alaskanfb.org/>
blindness is not what holds you back.