[NFBofAlaska] Important Notes from the National Federation of the Blind of Alaska

lucas.bonnie at gmail.com lucas.bonnie at gmail.com
Mon May 2 15:37:55 UTC 2022

Greetings,

With ice and snow finally behind us and spring and summer bringing warmth
and sunshine, things are happening with our NB Affiliate. Our May All-State
meeting will happen on Saturday May 14 beginning at 1:00,  to be held Alaska
Center for the Blind and Visually Impaired, 3903 Taft Street in Anchorage.
You and your family are invited to attend and learn more about this vibrant
and life-changing organization! We will have a guest speaker, Julie Husmann,
who will introduce us to Rank choice voting. We will also share some
important State-wide NFB information. You won't want to miss this meeting!
The Zoom link will be shared in a later note. (Please keep reading to learn
more about our national organized blind movement!)

Upcoming May Presidential Release:

The next Presidential Release will take place Monday, May 2, at 8:00 p.m.,
eastern. The monthly Presidential Release provides important updates and
perspectives of the organized blind movement, and the live event includes a
Q&A session. Submit questions in advance to  <mailto:cdanielsen at nfb.org>
cdanielsen at nfb.org and put PR516 in the subject line, or call 410-659-9314,
extension 2473. The Zoom Meeting ID is 915 8304 3260 or use the following
link:  <https://zoom.us/j/91583043260> https://zoom.us/j/91583043260.

News:

Volunteers Needed!

Are you interested in helping to make the 2022 National Convention a huge
success? You can help by volunteering in the Independence Market at national
convention. We are currently looking for volunteers to serve as
demonstrators, storekeepers, pay-station representatives, and line marshals
during all four days the market is open. The dates for the market are
Wednesday, July 6, through Saturday, July 9. We will be open on July 6 and 7
for the entire day and July 8 and 9 during the lunch period only.

The Independence Market at national convention would not be possible without
the support, dedication, and hard work of our numerous volunteers. For more
information or to volunteer, please contact Jen White at 410-659-9314,
extension 2236, or email her at  <mailto:jwhite at nfb.org> jwhite at nfb.org
today.

Letter to House Appropriations Committee Regarding Older Blind and
Randolph-Sheppard Programs:

On Monday, April 25 we sent a
<https://nfb.org/programs-services/advocacy/policy-statements/letter-chair-a
nd-ranking-member-house-appropriations> letter to the chair and ranking
member of the House Appropriations Committee to request an increase in
funding for the Independent Living Services for Older Blind Individuals
(OIB) program, and an appropriation to commission a study on how to
revitalize the Randolph-Sheppard Vending Facility program. Currently the OIB
program is woefully underfunded and we have asked to increase the
appropriation to that program so that it can help provide the training and
tools needed for older blind Americans to live the life they want. The
funding for the Randolph-Sheppard study would be a reassignment of funds
previously allocated for training and assistance. This money would fund a
study to identify deficiencies and areas for improvement that states can use
to create new opportunities for blind merchants. This letter and all of our
other policy responses can be read on the
<https://nfb.org/programs-services/advocacy/policy-statements> Policy
Statements page of our website.

Legislative Alert for the Medical Device Nonvisual Accessibility Act (H.R.
4853):

Last week we sent out a legislative alert urging Federationists to contact
their member of the US House of Representatives and ask them to cosponsor
the Medical Device Nonvisual Accessibility Act. The House is now back in
session, so we need you to contact your representative and ask them to sign
on to this critical piece of accessibility legislation that will give blind
Americans the ability to safely and independently care for themselves. It is
especially important that you contact your representative if they are a
<https://energycommerce.house.gov/about-ec/membership> member of the House
Energy and Commerce Committee, to where the bill has been assigned. You can
contact your member of Congress by calling the Capitol Switchboard at
202-224-3121.

Calendar notes:

*         May 1: Give20 Convention Drawing Opens

*         May 2: Presidential Release, 8:00 p.m.

*         May 14, All-State Meeting in Anchorage and on Zoom, 1:00 PM

*         May 31:  <https://nfb.org/civicrm/event/register?reset=1&id=479>
Convention registration closes

July 5-10:  <https://nfb.org/get-involved/national-convention> National
Convention, New Orleans

Have a great month and please stay tuned for more exciting information to
come!

Warmly,

Bonnie Lucas
President
National Federation of the Blind of Alaska
Cell: 907-301-6808

Email: lucas.bonnie at gmail.com <mailto:lucas.bonnie at gmail.com>

Web: alaskanfb.org <https://alaskanfb.org/>
blindness is not what holds you back.