[Nfbofnc] Help Save Morehead

Lusi98 Lusi98 at nc.rr.com
Sat Jun 6 15:08:34 UTC 2009

Hello Everyone,

The House Appropriations Subcommittee for DHHS has put forward a proposal to close The Governor Morehead School for the Blind. The school will not admit any new students for the next two years. All of the students who can be mainstreamed will be sent back to their local schools. The remaining students will be sent either to the School for the Deaf in Wilson or the School for the Deaf in Morganton. This will have a negative impact on blind and visually impaired children all over North Carolina. Morehead has provided for many years an education to blind and visually impaired children who could not be mainstreamed because of lack of services in their local schools or who needed a residential placement for other reasons. The G. M. S. Outreach program helped students spend time working on specific skills. Summer camps gave Blind and visually impaired students the opportunity to participate in sports camps, music camps, and other activities. When Morehead closes all of this may end.

We must work together to save our state's residential school for the blind. Below you will find a list of members of the House Appropriations DHHR Committee. Please call or e-mail each one of them to let them know that this is a big mistake. Please pass this on to anyone who will be willing to help us. We may be a low incidence population, but if we all work together we will be heard.

Thank you a head of time for your hard work.

Lusi Radford, President, Wake Federation of the Blind

Legislative Office Building Switchboard number: 919-733-4111 (All members of the House and Senate can be reached through this number.)

Representative Beverly Earl: (Chairman) 919-715-2530, Beverly.e at ncleg.net

Representative Bob England: (Chairman) 919-733-5749, bob.e at ncleg.net

Representative Verla Insko: (Chairman) 919-733-7208, verla.i at ncleg.net

Representative Jeff Barnhart: (Vice-Chairman) 919-715-2009, jeff.b at ncleg.net

Representative Jean Farmer-Butterfield: (Vice-Chairman) 919-733-5898

Representative William Brisson: 919-733-5772, William.b at ncleg.net

Representative Justin Burr: 919-733-5908, Justin.b at ncleg.net

Representative Pearl Burris-Floyd: 919-715-2002, pearl.b at ncleg.net

Representative Nelson Dollar: 919-733-4910, nelson.d at ncleg.net