[Nfbofnc] FW: transportation

Tim Jones tjnc2 at carolina.rr.com
Wed Jun 10 21:20:07 UTC 2009

Just to let you know

Tim Jones
Phone: 704-491-1486
Email: tjnc2 at carolina.rr.com

: transportation

There are other transportation options open to you, in addition to
Mecklenburg County's Special transportation, should you or someone you know
need it.

I spoke to Laura Park-Leach, rehab director of Metrolina Association for the
Blind, today about their newly expanded transportation program.  They now
have 3 vans to transport our visually impaired consumers.

They cover Mecklenburg, Union, Cabarrus, and south Iredell Counties.

They can provide a ride to shopping, doctors, Camp Dogwood and other places.
They have groups in certain areas that take a shopping trip every other
week.  They would like our consumers to bring a sighted person if they need
help shopping.  The driver cannot be with 4 blind

people at the same time so they welcome sighted helpers.   This is also

available to retirement home consumers.

The cost is a donation of $5 for the round trip.  Any donation is
appreciated and they will take them with much less or nothing.  The sighted
helper does not need to pay.  I doubt that this option would serve the
commuter.

They need to be signed up with MAB before they can request a ride.

Their case manager will visit them and open a case and offer other services.
It is okay if they only need a ride but the case must be set up first.  They
can't accept someone with vision better than 20/70.  It takes about 2 weeks
for the case to be set up and for the rides to get started.  I told her I
will be happy to send eye reports to speed up the process.

You can call MAB at 704-372-3870 to request this service.

Steve