[Nfbofnc] Update on NFB of NC Work in NC Legislature

Gary H. Ray ghraynfbofnc at charter.net
Sun Jun 21 23:55:55 UTC 2009

Fellow Federationists:

My goodness, I am still tired!  I finally returned to Asheville this past
Thursday to begin getting ready for the National Convention.

I wish I could say that I left Raleigh after the fight was over, but I did
not.  We are continuing to be involved in a struggle to keep the Governor
Morehead School open as a part of our NC education system for the blind.
Fewer than 10 percent of our blind children attend GMS, but we need it to
remain a part of our education system.

We are also fighting to keep Newsline funding in the state budget.

Frankly, it has been hard to fight on so many fronts.

I want to thank everyone who has emailed, phoned, and shown up to march
during our efforts of the last 2 weeks.

We were galvanized on Friday, June 5, by the news that the House
Appropriations Subcommittee on DHHS had accepted a recommendation to close
our blind school and farm out the kids to the deaf schools.

On Thursday, June 11, many of us marched in front of GMS to show our support
for the school.  We had much media coverage.

We were also visiting Senators and Representatives.  I want to thank James
Benton, Lusi Radford, and Herman Gruber for their efforts.

I also need to thank Representative Jim Gulley's office for their help.
Brian from that office has been especially helpful.  We have been on
different sides in other struggles, but we are arm in arm with Rep. Gully on
this one.

On Friday, the Consumer and Advocacy Advisory Committee (the C & A), passed
a position in favor of keeping GMS open.  We let folks from the Department
of Health and Human Services (DHHS) know in no uncertain terms what we
thought.

On Saturday, June 13, the NC Commission for the Blind also came out in
support of Keeping GMS open.

The NC Council of the Blind has been crucial to our efforts to support the
school.  I especially want to thank Ron Eller for his unflagging help.

We kept at our legislators through the rest of this past week.

On Tuesday, June 16, we met with the Secretary of Health and Human Services
to share our views with him.

On Wednesday, we marched in front of the legislative building.  We had
around 75 folks show up and march, chant, and hold signs.

I also need to thank Linda Gunter of the NC Association of Educators for her
help in our time of need.  Without her help, we could not have gotten our
position to the legislators.

So, where are we today?

The Conference Committee on the budget, made up of Senators and
Representatives is still hard at work, so we will continue to keep on them.

And, you say, what can I do?  Well, you can continue to contact the members
of the Conference Committee on DHHS.  Lusi Radford has sent out the list of
members.  If you need to know more about who to call and how, contact her at
lusi98 at nc.rr.com.

We may also have to call on folks to contact the full Conference Committee
later in this coming week.

We also need folks to talk about Newsline (Accessible Electronic Information
System for the Blind and Disabled).  We need them to keep our $75,000 in the
final budget.

We need for folks not to mix their calls.  In other words, don't talk about
GMS and Newsline in the same call.  Call back or send another email.

Stay tuned.

Gary Ray