[Nfbofnc] Fwd: [Nfbnet-members-list] The National Federation of the Blind and the National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped Partner to Offer More Choice and Access to Print-Disabled Americans

Tim Jones tmjnc2 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 21 13:53:55 UTC 2010

fyi

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Freeh, Jessica <JFreeh at nfb.org>
Date: Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 10:43 PM
Subject: [Nfbnet-members-list] The National Federation of the Blind and the
To: nfbnet-members-list at nfbnet.org

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns =

CONTACT:

Chris Danielsen

Director of Public Relations

National Federation of the Blind

(410) 659-9314, extension 2330
(410) 262-1281 (Cell)

<mailto:cdanielsen at nfb.org>cdanielsen at nfb.org

The National Federation of the Blind and the National Library Service for
the Blind and Physically Handicapped Partner to Offer More Choice and Access
to Print-Disabled Americans

Baltimore, Maryland (December 20, 2010): NFB-NEWSLINE®, a free audible
newspaper service for blind and print-disabled people, and the National
Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped of the Library of
Congress (NLS) today announced the launch of an exciting new access method,
the NFB-NEWSLINE® NLS DTB Downloader.  This breakthrough access method will
allow subscribers to easily download their favorite publications to the book
cartridges used in the new Digital Talking Book (DTB) players provided to
patrons by NLS.

Dr. Marc Maurer, President of the National Federation of the Blind (NFB),
said: “NFB-NEWSLINE® has made groundbreaking advances in the past several
years, expanding the number and variety of publications and access methods.
 The innovative NFB-NEWSLINE® NLS DTB Downloader is yet another way that
this service is increasing its usability for subscribers.  I am very pleased
that the NFB and NLS have worked together on this access method for the
benefit of the blind and other print-disabled people.”

Gerry Moreno, a blind resident of <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns =
"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />North Carolina, said: “I
recently received my new NLS DTB player, and I love downloading books to
read on this device.  Because the player is portable and has a built-in
speaker, I can listen to my books while doing other tasks around the house.
 I’m excited about the new access method as I can now use my player to
listen to my favorite magazines and newspapers too.”

“The new NLS Digital Talking Book player is now the standard player being
released by NLS and allows for unprecedented flexibility in the book-reading
experience.  The NFB-NEWSLINE® NLS DTB Downloader provides NFB-NEWSLINE®
subscribers with a way to listen to their favorite newspapers and magazines
using this player so as to enjoy the portability and excellent audio output
it offers,” said Frank Kurt Cylke, director of the National Library Service
for the Blind and Physically Handicapped of the Library of Congress.  “With
this new access method, subscribers download the content in a file format
called DAISY III to the cartridges that are inserted into the new NLS
digital talking-book player.  I believe that increasing the value of these
players through the addition of publication content provided through
NFB-NEWSLINE® also increases the value of NLS to its thousands of patrons
across the nation.”

NFB-NEWSLINE® allows those who cannot read conventional newsprint due to a
visual or physical disability to access publications as well as television
and job listings over the telephone, on the Web, or by download to digital
talking book players or MP3-playing devices.

To learn more about NFB-NEWSLINE®, please visit <http://www.nfbnewsline.org/
>www.nfbnewsline.org. Those interested in subscribing to the service may
fill out the online application form, write to <mailto:nfbnewsline at nfb.org>
nfbnewsline at nfb.org, or call (866) 504-7300.  In order to be eligible for
NFB-NEWSLINE®, an individual must be a US resident who is legally blind or
has a physical or learning disability that prevents the independent reading
of newspapers.

###

With more than 50,000 members, the National Federation of the Blind is the
largest and most influential membership organization of blind people in the
United States.  The NFB improves blind people's lives through advocacy,
education, research, technology, and programs encouraging independence and
self-confidence.  It is the leading force in the blindness field today and
the voice of the nation's blind.  In January 2004 the NFB opened the
National Federation of the Blind Jernigan Institute, the first research and
training center in the United States for the blind led by the blind.

About the National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped
of the Library of Congress

The National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped (NLS),
Library of Congress, administers the free program that loans recorded and
Braille books and magazines, music scores in Braille and large print, and
specially designed playback equipment to residents of the United States who
are unable to read or use standard print materials because of visual or
physical impairment.

NLS administers the program nationally while direct service to eligible
individuals and institutions is the responsibility of cooperating libraries
in the various states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, Guam, and the
Virgin Islands.  Service is also extended to eligible American citizens
residing abroad.  More information about NLS may be found at: <
http://www.loc.gov/nls/>http://www.loc.gov/nls/.