[Nfbofnc] RFB&D/Learning Ally is facing dificult times

Lea williams leanicole1988 at gmail.com
Wed May 18 22:55:21 UTC 2011

Here is an email that I received from Learning Ally or use to be
called RFB&D recordings for the blind and dyslexics. This could have
an impact on blind students all over the US. Please read and send your
email to help Learning Ally. They are a great site that allows blind
students to listen to their school books in an audio format instead of
having to scan page by page, saving time to study.
Thanks
Lea

Your immediate action is needed to help hundreds of thousands of
students with print
disabilities.
Secretary of Education Arne Duncan is wavering on his commitment to
hold a competition
to fund accessible educational materials and textbooks for the
hundreds of thousands
of students who cannot use a standard textbook.
You need to e-mail Secretary Duncan's office today to urge him to hold
the competition
and preserve the program.
Under the FY 2011 budget passed by the Congress, Secretary Duncan has
the discretion
to hold a competition for the development, production and distribution
of educational
materials in accessible formats to students with visual impairments
and other print
disabilities. The US Department of Education has supported this project for more
 than 30 years, and President Obama included it in his FY 2011 budget plan. Now
the Secretary might use these funds for other projects!
The Secretary needs to hear from you today to prevent the shifting of funds away
 from this vital program.
The Secretary might make his decision as soon as the end of the week so we need
you to e-mail him today. Your voice and that of hundreds of other
supporters urged
the Congress to preserve the funding in the budget, and Congress heard
you and took
action. Now we need your voice to urge Secretary Duncan to preserve the funding
for accessible materials and to hold the competition.
Hundreds of thousands of students benefit from this program each year and if the
 Secretary does not fund it this year its future is unknown. We need your voice
to be heard again!
Please e-mail Secretary Duncan's office today. We have included the
sample language
below to help you in making your e-mail. Please add your personal
story, name and
hometown to your message!

Secretary Duncan's e-mail is
arne.duncan at ed.gov
 [mailto:
arne.duncan at ed.gov]

RE: Urgent Support Needed for Students with Print Disabilities

Dear Secretary Duncan:

I am writing to share with you my support for the accessible
educational materials
project and Learning Ally.

Learning Ally has a long-established relationship with the Department
of Education
and has had broad support in Congress, state departments of education and 10,000
 schools from coast to coast. I urge you to continue that support by
holding a competition
for the development, production and distribution of educational
materials in accessible
formats to students with visual impairments and other print disabilities.

Learning Ally is a critical partner in the success of hundreds of
thousands of students,
and federal support of their efforts, leveraged with private
philanthropy, has made
much of their work possible. Continue USDE's 30-year commitment to students with
 disabilities and hold the competition.

Sincerely,

As we keep the pressure up on the Department with our allies in
Congress, we will
update our Policy Advocates' Center
[http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?llr=dpqs87bab&et=1105572670725&s=114552&e=001FfuQMRzeCrgE35apgH7EpeV4eIanE_Lcwh_2fHiZuYOSs_KfbJWx1FlDiIYTLIYSudydiTfMYha3ni1rpJ1E_FO8KLhw0h3wNclbGbH7QzTe67xDhlZGxMqbRD-QaszeNsFfE9TWG36c01dU-2OUsAcOpQpLnoRpngnkZXleCy4dRHCrh13QLQ==]
with developments as they occur. We will also share critical
Advocates' Action Alerts
with you when key decisions are to be made.
Your support has helped to preserve this program so far, and will be a
key to its
future!

A national nonprofit since 1948 - LearningAlly.org
[http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?llr=dpqs87bab&et=1105572670725&s=114552&e=001FfuQMRzeCrgoNLPD4Cp41ENxAYtONei2WR27ECD2DzC2_puk5E7CuRDL8WdRqkwuPY9DPPKSEF9f3Qex0Bz1FCMvIduTw-9QuFHm1LWzDG-DdXpOps3zCg==]