[Nfbofnc] Support Governor Morehead School By Responding to Online Survey

Gary H. Ray ghraynfbofnc at charter.net
Sun Sep 25 18:56:19 UTC 2011

Gary Ray here.

The Department of Public Instruction (DPI) is seeking feedback from the
public as part of its plan to close one of the 3 residential schools.  The
NC Legislature instructed DPI to close one of the  schools  as part of the
budget passed this summer.

The blind of NC are committed to keeping Governor Morehead School (GMS)
open.  We need for everyone to give feedback as part of the Online survey.

The Legislature gave 5 areas for DPI to consider in its determination of
which school to close.  We need for our Online feedback to center around
these questions.

The URL for the survey is below.  Pass it along to everyone far and wide.
They can be blind or sighted.  I ask that you stay focused on reasons to
keep our school open and not to advocate for the closure of one of the other
schools.

I am attaching two sets of Sample answers to the questions.  They should be
used to assist folks in composing their answers.  Some of the questions are
pretty complex so we thought it would be good to give folks some sample
answers.

Feedback MUST be received by the end of September so do not waste any time.

Here are the questions:
1. Which school closure would minimize the impact on services to deaf and
blind students currently served by the residential schools?
2. What two remaining residential schools would cost the least to modify to
take on students from the closed school? Why?
3. Which school closure would create the most funds generated or saved due
to avoiding costs and the sale or transfer of a school campus and other
physical
assets?
4. Which school closure would minimize required travel for students of the
school that is closed?
5. What are your views on the historical and cultural significance of one or
more of the residential schools?

There is a 6th question where additional comments may be submitted.  This is
a good area for folks to share additional Personal feedback.

The URL for the survey is:

http://ncdpiecd.inquisiteasp.com/cgi-bin/qwebcorporate.dll?idx=DK3H8G

If you have any questions, call me at 828 505 0299.

Thanx for helping us Keep GMS open.

Gary Ray