[Nfbofnc] The Value of Consistent Leadership in our NFB Affiliate

Jeremiah Rogers jeremiahzrogers at gmail.com
Thu Sep 18 03:34:58 UTC 2014

Good evening Alan. Thanks for your thorough response.

With qualifications like those you've listed, our nominating committee was indeed wise to nominate you to serve as a member of the state board. What board couldn't benefit from your education and willingness to serve as a public face?

However, I think this message also demonstrates the absolute wisdom in our long-time process of thoroughly grooming future leaders. You assert growing experience managing emcployees and managing demands of the parents you serve to be adequate preparation for leading our board and serving our membership. I submit that managing a board of directors differs greatly from managing a staff of direct and indirect reports. Unlike serving as a manager, the president of our organization can't single-handedly change direction when they see a reason to do so. That president has to build internal and external consensus with stakeholders and compromise. I don't see much opportunity for you to have learned to, and practiced the art of, compromise in your experience thus far. As a member of the board, you can grow and demonstrate those abilities.

I also found your repeated use of the word assert quite alarming. Asserting is an invaluable skill, and its one I wish many of us employed more regularly and more effectively. However, I think a president has to be notably careful about when and where they can assert. More than anything else, a president submits to, and serves, a membership rather than asserting their will over that membership or its interests. That, too, is a line you could grow to more clearly understand and communicate as a member of the board.

In closing, I again thank you for your prompt, thorough response to my note, and I wish you safe travels to the convention.

Jeremiah Rogers
Mobile: 704-996-5334 (Voice/Text)
Email: jeremiahzrogers at gmail.com